• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone even watching Pandora?

All of heard about it is that it's disgusting apparently, and that it has good reaction faces.

I also remember someone made a thread in off-topic that didn't go well...

I don't know how anyone could justify watching pandora. Given its content i'm surprised it can be discussed on gaf at all.

Q: Is gundam going to just be 26 eps or no? Doesn't seem like it should wrap up that quickly.

Been watching Nadia: secret of blue water in my spare time at night and wow.

Nadia is just the worst.

Jesus. There's angry holier than thou vegetarians. And then there's Nadia.

I don't know why Jean doesn't just dump her to go find someone else. Maybe he likes the insults.

blurr

Got around to watch A letter to Momo yesterday. Directed by Hiroyuki Okiura, it gave me a lot of Hosoda vibes with some Ghibli elements. An emotional drama about a little girl who is trying to cope with the loss of her father and figure out what he wanted to say in his unfinished letter to her. While not as depressing as the summary implies, it has light SoL moments for most of the part, being set in rural Japan.

It's pretty decent if you're looking for a light emotional drama, there are some fun moments with the three 'guardians' who haunt the little girl Momo. The guardians are quite entertaining, each with their own silly quirks, funny and arguably, the best part of the movie but at the same time, nothing extraordinarily good.

The emotional moments of the show were a hit and miss, while the atmosphere was great, the actual story felt borderline cliche which is fine in itself but as a compromise, it needed more than a short flashback to strengthen empathy with Momo. This isn't a major problem though.

duckroll

Mononoke - Episode 10-12 (End)

Out of all the arcs, this one is the one where the mystery is the most straightforward and physical. There is an actual non-supernatural crime which is the origin point of the haunting. It is also the most direct horror story in terms of consequences and terror. I think the visuals helped elevate and extend the arc artificially though, because 3 episodes is a bit much for something which isn't really all that complicated. My feeling is that they wanted to get the most out of this unique setting compared to the rest of the series, to make it feel more like a big climax. That's fair, because it does set it apart from the rest of the stories, but at the same time, considering I solved the mystery in the middle of the second episode and had to just keep watching to see if I was right, I'm not sure if it was fully justified. I would have preferred a bit more meat or a stronger social commentary for the finale of such an evocative series. There was a lot of imagery used here which seemed a lot less subtle than usual too. The whole See No Evil, Speak No Evil, Hear No Evil motif being used for the "sins" was just too obvious.

I also really dislike how Nakamura chose to end the actual arc itself. The abrupt cut to the credits, the hasty epilogue, and the entire direct nod to the audience isn't something I appreciated. I get it though, the entire series has been presented in a way as a series of stage plays, and the final word is just the main actor addressing the audience, it's fair, but I could really have done without it. Or maybe I just don't want to tell him about my makoto and kotowari... :)

thenexus6

I started and finished Kids on the Slope this week.

Aside from the typical school love triangle situations it was pretty good. The music was great, and it was a pretty good slice of life anime. 12 episodes was the perfect length too.

Cornbread78

I started and finished Kids on the Slope this week.

Aside from the typical school love triangle situations it was pretty good. The music was great, and it was a pretty good slice of life anime. 12 episodes was the perfect length too.

Kids on the Slope was pretty good overall, but something was off with that ending, IMO.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just finished reading this article on FLCL on reddit and it was a long but damn good read.

It's been a while since I've seen FLCL and wasn't actually that fond of it, even after reading up some of it. After reading this though, I wanna rewatch it some time.
This interpretation hinges way too heavily on love. It's such a brutal misunderstanding because it misaligns motivations in the complete opposite way that they are supposed to be seen. The character growth in this series operates inwards, not outwards, and hurdles are overcome by the cast confronting their own problems. Also...there's all this stuff in here about childhood still being important or whatever and it is objectively wrong.
Great analysis, although I still think it's an overrated show.
Also objectively wrong.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 12 (End)

I... didn't really enjoy this. It does what it sets out to do, it is well animated, the art and music is on point as always, but it simply wasn't what I watched the show for. It felt like a big emotional climax for an entirely different show. Even though episode 11 was also all about White and Black, I felt it had all the ingredients of what was attractive and enjoyable about the show. The finale just didn't. I can't even pin it down to why, but it just felt like a ton of effort for something no one really asked for. I love the show, I will definitely watch another season, especially if most of it is episodic, and I actually hope they make more. I just don't care at all about this big double length finale. Nothing about the resolution was particularly emotional nor did any of it feel earned. Things happened one after another but there was something hollow about all of it. :(

I... didn't really enjoy this. It does what it sets out to do, it is well animated, the art and music is on point as always, but it simply wasn't what I watched the show for. It felt like a big emotional climax for an entirely different show. Even though episode 11 was also all about White and Black, I felt it had all the ingredients of what was attractive and enjoyable about the show. The finale just didn't. I can't even pin it down to why, but it just felt like a ton of effort for something no one really asked for. I love the show, I will definitely watch another season, especially if most of it is episodic, and I actually hope they make more. I just don't care at all about this big double length finale. Nothing about the resolution was particularly emotional nor did any of it feel earned. Things happened one after another but there was something hollow about all of it. :(

Basically the same opinion as me. It did not help that I watched it after all those months with a huge gap in between the second last and last episodes. Never even bothered to rewatch them all in a row, the show was fine but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as others did here.

Jarmel

Banned

I think that's largely because Black/Kingofwhatever's plan was largely confusing and a bit of a jumble altogether.

That said, Leon crying at the end was definitely earned and I thought a great emotional moment in the series.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 38

Dark Duel = Shark Duel? What? lol funny episode. BakaAniki was the best.

Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note Episode 16
tumblr_o1m7dq88Zs1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o1m7dq88Zs1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Sunahara lines get me all feeling happy and stuff. He would be best boyfriend.

pbayne

I think that's largely because Black/Kingofwhatever's plan was largely confusing and a bit of a jumble altogether.

That said, Leon crying at the end was definitely earned and I thought a great emotional moment in the series.

Weren't they completely anime original characters?

Id assume maybe the manga had no good stopping off point and they created black/white to give the overall plot some coherence and finality. I somewhat appreciated the effort to add to the plot but yeah the finale was a bit flat for me too.

Szadek

Blood Blockade Battlefront should just have been an episodic show.
It kind of tried to have a plot, but gave up halfway ,and that's how we got this mess of a show.

Russ T

Banned

Yuuuuuup. This is all exactly how I feel, heh.

Except I was even more disappointed 'cause I had to wait months for that last episode......................................

It wasn't a mess of a show though. It's a great show with a sort of pointless ending. Still way better than most anime.

Also agree with this. It was a really good show the majority of the time. Just kinda farted out a largely meaningless ending.

It's biggest strength is when it's being purely episodic. Build up this large ensemble of characters, and then just tell a bunch of short stories. That's what I'd do if I was in charge of this show.

sonicmj1

I agree. They hit all the beats they were supposed to hit for a finale about White and Black and Leo, but it still felt like an empty exercise somehow. Not sure what they could have done differently at that point.
Yes it was.

duckroll

I think what I would have done differently would have been to play up the humor. People often equate humor with lack of seriousness, but in the case if BBB, laughing at the absurdity of the situations and setting is how all these people even live day by day. The over serious mood in the climax really ruined the whimsical sense of the world and made it feel too normal. I think that made it boring.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah for sure. I think that show was at its best when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.

From what I understand, it's an Anime Original Ending™? If so, I wonder if the manga does it better.

blurr

Makes sense, that's probably because of its episodic style which focused on its universe. It's shift to its overarching story felt a bit jarring but personally, it was still a great experience.

duckroll

Yeah for sure. I think that show was at its best when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.

From what I understand, it's an Anime Original Ending™? If so, I wonder if the manga does it better.

The manga is ongoing and I think they have enough material for another season of stories. They only used stuff up through vol5. There are 10 volumes now.

Russ T

Banned
The manga is ongoing and I think they have enough material for another season of stories. They only used stuff up through vol5. There are 10 volumes now.

Oh yeah I know that, I just wasn't sure if the anime took a different turn at some point. I recall reading something to that tune, but I never bothered to look into it.

duckroll

It's a good show, but it's still a mess nonetheless.

I enjoyed every single episode except the last one. The framing plot throughout the season was conclusive and tied up. Nope, not seeing the mess. A boring ending does not equate a messy show to me.

phaze

Oh yeah I know that, I just wasn't sure if the anime took a different turn at some point. I recall reading something to that tune, but I never bothered to look into it.

As I understand it, the entire Black&White plotline is anime only.

duckroll

Episodes 1 to 10 are all taken from manga stories. All the stuff with White and Black are original elements spliced into the stories across the season. 11 and 12 are totally original.

Russ T

Banned
Oh. Well then. That might do some of the work in helping me understand why I just do not care for that aspect of the series.

Jarmel

Banned
I think what I would have done differently would have been to play up the humor. People often equate humor with lack of seriousness, but in the case if BBB, laughing at the absurdity of the situations and setting is how all these people even live day by day. The over serious mood in the climax really ruined the whimsical sense of the world and made it feel too normal. I think that made it boring.

The problem with that though is that they were dealing with a serious event with serious consequences and if
White wasn't dead dead (as she shouldn't have been, what the fuck killing off your best character mgrgrgr) then I might have been fine with that
. However if it had been too comedic with the above consequences then it would have possibly came off as tone deaf.

I really wanted White to pop up as an actual ghost at the end. Would have been a hilarious throwback.

John Blade

Is this some kind of meme? I always see people joking about a 2nd season of Darker Than Black too

Gunslinger Girl does have two season for this series. I guess the reason people don't want to talk about the 2nd season is the animation look is very different from the 1st season (different animation and production team?). I can't say if the 2nd season is worst or better than the 1st as I never watch it yet but will most likely found out once I get into it next month.

duckroll

The problem with that though is that they were dealing with a serious event with serious consequences and if
White wasn't dead dead (as she shouldn't have been, what the fuck killing off your best character mgrgrgr) then I might have been fine with that
. However if it had been too comedic with the above consequences then it would have possibly came off as tone deaf.

I really wanted White to pop up as an actual ghost at the end. Would have been a hilarious throwback.

After Kyosogiga, I don't for a moment buy any of that. Rie Matsumoto has shown that she can handle comedy mixed with very serious life and death themes and have it work. A lot of it is simply about tone and presentation. You don't want people to go "HAHA DEAD PEOPLE", but there's zero reason to pretend that the show is something it is not. This was just a misstep. A failure in execution. The entire episode should probably have played up the Halloween parade more too, to give a more festive feel to the impeding apocalypse. I think that alone would have made for a much more interesting climax.

Working!!! 7

They're wrapping up plotlines right and left now.

Mononoke - Episode 10-12 (End)

I also really dislike how Nakamura chose to end the actual arc itself. The abrupt cut to the credits, the hasty epilogue, and the entire direct nod to the audience isn't something I appreciated. I get it though, the entire series has been presented in a way as a series of stage plays, and the final word is just the main actor addressing the audience, it's fair, but I could really have done without it. Or maybe I just don't want to tell him about my makoto and kotowari... :)

I agree; I felt the same way with the ending. It was very dissatisfying the way it denied us a proper resolution of the arc. That's another reason I prefer Trapeze, because Trapeze ended with a very satisfying denouement which wrapped up the themes of the series as a whole.

Kenstar

Gunslinger Girl does have two season for this series. I guess the reason people don't want to talk about the 2nd season is the animation look is very different from the 1st season (different animation and production team?). I can't say if the 2nd season is worst or better than the 1st as I never watch it yet but will most likely found out once I get into it next month.

I've seen all of Il Teatrino

I wish we got more BBB, love that ed

My fav. standalone ep is the one with choppers seiyuu as the small burger loving alien

JulianImp

Blood Blockade Battlefront #1-2
This show's weird... on one hand, it looks like your typical shonen show, with the MC being the new guy in town thatlooks normal but has a special ability that becomes the good guys' ace in the hole against the bad guys. At least we still haven't come across the bad guy team that also has special abilities yet... On the good side, the setting's refreshing, the music's good and Rudolph's VA is in the show (he's a great fit for smug, boss-type characters IMO).

The overused shonen battle theme is certainly a letdown, but still not enough to make me want to drop the show. Hopefully things keep up and things don't devolve into people constantly pulling off new super secret techniques out of thin air to solve any and all conflicts, because that's one thing I've come to hate of shonen shows in general.

KareKano #8
The non-flashback part of the episode was sweet, but I seriously thought we were going to get Arima's POV earlier than this, since I feel like it didn't add all that much to his character that hadn't already been covered in previous episodes (besides a couple of comedy scenes). I think his thoughts and character development were just too similar to Miyazawa's to warrant covering them like this.

Also, previews having live footage of the VAs as they record their lines is something fun and novel for me, and I guess it also saves some production timed and money compared to having next week's footage ready and editing it for the preview. Now that I think about it, I guess the ED also having live footage used for it might've been a way to keep the budget down.

Perfect Insider 10

I have to say, I didn't see the "Shiki was pregnant when she entered the lab" twist coming. 15 year old pregnancy (that she somehow delivered herself?)... how pleasant.

I'm surprised that if Sohei was able to figure everything out that he did, he didn't put two and two together and realize that Miki was Shiki. Especially considering the circumstances on the roof surrounding the director's death, she was obviously suspicious. I could immediately tell that something funny was going on with the director when he didn't communicate except by thumbs up from inside the helicopter. It kind of damages the "She outwitted us!" ending when the point in question is perhaps the easiest part of the mystery to see through.

Ugh well
Oni girl TV anime announced, coming 2016 spring(according to anime official twitter).
http://www.onigiri-anime.com/

Read this and thought of Onigiri Sasa instead of just Onigiri. I was wondering how they were ever going to make that one work until my brain caught up.

It's like playing DnD.

Where is the player who always makes the dumbest rolls outside of combat, making the game twice as hard as it should be? I guess Chuuni mage could do that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom