• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

What are some of the best action shows of 2000-2015? Less dragon ball/naruto style, more Gurren Lagann, samurai champloo, re cutie honey, black lagoon, bebop, hellsing etc. basically stylish stuff with good animation. some degree of fan service is fine, but no endless episodes where two people grunt at each other for 20 mins. Thanks guys and girls!

I didn't see anyone mention (Guess someone did heh) Kill la Kill - I'd recommend that since its made by some of the old Gainax crew. Also;

- Gungrave (Just remembered but I DO think it gets really rough at the end with animation)
- Noir
- Kekkai Sensen
- Psycho-Pass

-Minsc-

PSO2 - 5

Anyone who is watching this knows it's generic and an advertisement for the game. What I can not tell is if this written to be a just a serious generic advertisement or both serious and parody. It's like the show has a self-awareness of what it is. The uncertainty of the writers intention behind the show is making it more interesting to me than it perhaps should be.

my thoughts exactly, at least the voice over work checks out

The character animation in Rakugo Shinjuu isn't anything special, but it is fairly polished and the visualization and staging of the rakugo performances is quite good. If you wanted to get a higher level of character animation in the show, you'd really need a special animator with a meticulous and realistic mindset such as Okiura to supervise. The extremely dramatic animation of something like Hyouka would work against the low-key, understated nature of the show. A sequence such as this would not be something I'd want to see here.

duckroll

Rakugo Crossdressing Fun Times - Episode 5

Wow. Akira Ishida is killing it. Bravo. The pace of this show sure is unusual though. It isn't rushing towards anything at all, but instead just showing how little moments affect the growth of a person and the person's perspective towards the arts. If anything, this episode completely validates the opinion that the show is not really about rakugo so much as it is about people who happen to perform rakugo. Nothing here was about rakugo itself, yet for the characters, everything they experienced here will have a profound effect on their approach to rakugo moving forward. Great storytelling.

I would imagine that rotoscoping could work quite well for the rakugo performances.

Rotoscoping might work fine with the proper approach. Though even when you look at real-life rakugo performances (here's a rakugo routine in English by Katsura Sunshine), the performer's movement is very minimal. I suspect if you put in the level of character movement that people such as dimb or blurr wanted to see, it wouldn't be a realistic portrayal of rakugo anymore.

blurr

The character animation in Rakugo Shinjuu isn't anything special, but it is fairly polished and the visualization and staging of the rakugo performances is quite good. If you wanted to get a higher level of character animation in the show, you'd really need a special animator with a meticulous and realistic mindset such as Okiura to supervise. The extremely dramatic animation of something like Hyouka would work against the low-key, understated nature of the show. A sequence such as this would not be something I'd want to see here.

I'm not saying it is bad but it does feel lacking. Moreover, the show takes its time to display the whole sequence including gestures, postures, dialogues and expressions rather than skimming through it. If it's going that far then it might as well go a little further.

Usually, I'd brush it off as "they had their reasons" but since you mentioned a potential animator whose style would work against the tone of the show I will try to look up the animators that are skilled at this and would fit in the tone. Sakuga is something I'm new to but interested in.

I'm not saying it is bad but it does feel lacking. Moreover, the show takes its time to displaying the whole sequence including gestures, postures, dialogues and expressions rather than skimming through it. If it's going that far then it might as well go a little further.

Usually, I'd brush it off as "they had their reasons" but since you mentioned a potential animator whose style would work against the tone of the show I will try to look up the animators that are skilled at this and would fit in the tone. Sakuga is something I'm new to but interested in.

To get the level of detailed nuance and refinement you're looking for, you'd really need a movie-level production to pull it off. Remember that you can't use animation that's too stylized or too melodramatic so it'll fit in with the show's overall tone, and for the rakugo routines you can't make the characters move much if you want to portray them at all accurately. Okiura almost never works on TV shows because the kind of animation he's after is too time-consuming for TV anime. (It's even too time-consuming for movies these days - Okiura was kicked out of the director's chair of Miss Hokusai because his demands for production time and movie length were greater than Production I.G. wanted to bear.)

(Also, it's worth noting that Hatakeyama doesn't have a wealth of animator resources to work with at DEEN. He's been developing his supervisory skills and pulling in some skilled directors and designers into his orbit such as Tomomi Mochizuki, but he doesn't seem to have any connections with noteworthy animators. I think Tokuyuki Matsutake, an animator attached to DEEN since the beginning of his career, is the only person who has done animation for his shows that you'll find on sakugabooru.)

blurr

To get the level of detailed nuance and refinement you're looking for, you'd really need a movie-level production to pull it off. Remember that you can't use animation that's too stylized or too melodramatic so it'll fit in with the show's overall tone, and for the rakugo routines you can't make the characters move much if you want to portray them at all accurately. Okiura almost never works on TV shows because the kind of animation he's after is too time-consuming for TV anime. (It's even too time-consuming for movies these days - Okiura was kicked out of the director's chair of Miss Hokusai because his demands for production time and movie length were greater than Production I.G. wanted to bear.)

Yes, I'm aware that it shouldn't be too stylized or melodramatic. I really did enjoy the performances in the show but something did feel lacking visually, it's not 'experience-breaking' level significant but significant nonetheless. The show's production is close to the theme and the tone, just not there yet.

Again, I'll have to look up some animators that possess the finesse and fit the tone the show has.

Regardless of the existence of such an animator, what I felt doesn't change.

Production and time constraints are present everywhere, I don't deny which is why I said:

Usually, I'd brush it off as "they had their reasons" ....

but I'm just thinking about an ideal situation

Sterok

Pandora 5

This show is at its best when it focuses on how robots influence society and how cyberization affects people. Reporter girl is losing potential jobs to efficient robots, and robots in general are valuable commodities that are often away from their owners, making them relatively easy to snatch. Nene herself doesn't feel like her skills and accomplishments are really hers, but she's the one applying them, so she should take a little more pride in herself. That old lady can't ever go out of network range. Goes to show how much more important the internet is going to become eventually.

Just T

Dimension W: 4

Entertaining episode, Mira still having a tough time.

Luck and Logic: 4

This one felt all over the place then finally came together in the end to form a shit episode. Got some cool music here and there though.

Koyomimonogatari: 4

Probably my favorite one so far, some good interactions. Kanbaru and that ending lol.

Again, I'll have to look up some animators that possess the finesse and fit the tone the show has.

Please do. I'd be interesting in seeing any examples from sakugabooru or elsewhere you could provide that illustrate the kind of animation you want.

Regardless of the existence of such an animator, what I felt doesn't change.

Production and time constraints are present everywhere, I don't deny which is why I said:

but I'm just thinking about an ideal situation

Being aware of production constraints doesn't exempt a work from criticism, of course, but it does help to lead to a better understanding of why things are the way they are and a greater acceptance of the flaws in a work. If you're always looking for a ideal situation, pretty much no TV anime will satisfy you.

Qurupeke

Konosuba 1-4
5L1n5Ld.png
dGBrxVa.jpg
YEsnx0A.png
Amazing. Comedy of the season, screw Dagashi Kashi. I should have watched this earlier but SAO has stigmatized every MMO anime for me. This was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing, every episode was hilarious, from the premise of entering this world, to the cabbage fest or the castle. It totally subverts the expectations every time. I thought it would turn to something serious with that death curse in the latest episode, how wrong I was. And Megumin is the best mage ever.

Cornbread78

Konosuba 1-4

Amazing. Comedy of the season, screw Dagashi Kashi. I should have watched this earlier but SAO has stigmatized every MMO anime for me. This was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing, every episode was hilarious, from the premise of entering this world, to the cabbage fest or the castle. It totally subverts the expectations every time. I thought it would turn to something serious with that death curse in the latest episode, how wrong I was. And Megumin is the best mage ever.

Yes, embrace the magical fun power of Konosuba, lol

blurr

Please do. I'd be interesting in seeing any examples from sakugabooru or elsewhere you could provide that illustrate the kind of animation you want.

Being aware of production constraints doesn't exempt a work from criticism, of course, but it does help to lead to a better understanding of why things are the way they are and a greater acceptance of the flaws in a work. If you're always looking for a ideal situation, pretty much no TV anime will satisfy you.

I will admit "Ideal" is a strong word here. Too strong in the creative field in fact(as you said, no TV anime will satisfy me) so let me illustrate on what I mean with that.

Ideal here doesn't equate no limits, rather a reasonable limit or in this case, under the assumption that the animator fit for the scene is at reach. No more than that.

I also completely agree with your statement I made bold which is something I like to look at usually (and I regret I just don't look at enough). I will appreciate any sources you can share though.

Edit: I will try to find the animator but bear in mind that I'm nowhere near an expert in animation, do guide me in that regard if I misunderstand or make a mistake. I tend to value direction the most, I don't concern myself with the rest of the aspects of the show unless something particularly bothers me(in this case, it did). That's just me.

Yona of the Dawn 12

I liked how this episode presented a completely opposite situation for the Blue Dragon than the White Dragon. Namely, while the White Dragon was living in a village where he was idolized and the entire village was devoted to protecting him, the Blue Dragon is living in a village where he is ostracized and feared and the entire village is devoted to marginalizing him as much as possible. Ki-ja's bafflement at how the village was acting despite his sense that the Blue Dragon was present helps to underline that, and also underline how much different environments of raising lead to different kinds of people.

The show as a whole uses a lot of creative direction techniques to enhance the mood it is going for, and that was certainly in evidence here. First, there are the atmospheric backgrounds:

which here help to create the ambiance of a lonely settlement far from civilization that has its own way of doing things, and a dark network of tunnels where danger lurks around every corner. Then there is expressive character art at key moments:

which here emphasizes Ao's strong emotions. For added context, he is the previous Blue Dragon, and the Blue Dragon's power is to have superhuman eyes which both see great distances and can paralyze the nerves of anyone they look at. This is the moment where he has completely gone blind, the power of the Blue Dragon having finished passing from him to the next generation, so having a closeup of his eye when he shouts "I am human!" is very meaningful.

Then you have the faded color palette throughout the Blue Dragon backstory sequence:

which not only is appropriate for reflection on a faded past, but also to complement the harsh life the Blue Dragon has led. There are close nuances in how the colors are deployed, such as making the above scene almost completely black and white with just a light blue for his hair, to emphasize the tragedy of this moment.

There are also symbolic visuals deployed; in this episode they center around eyes:

which works well thematically. There are some clever transitions:

such as here, when Ki-ja's head is used to move from the present location of the cave to the past location of his childhood home. I particularly liked the transition into the ED with the music overlapping into the end of the episode, something this show doesn't normally do:

It helps to give some time for the backstory to settle and for a little reflection on the Blue Dragon's current character.

There are some creative direction techniques for comedy I wish the show wouldn't use, in order to keep the overall visual style more consistent. For instance,

this moment didn't need the slightly chibified characters and think outlines, and

the 8-bit RPG style of this moment doesn't seem appropriate. But those moments are usually kept away from the important emotional scenes so they can't interfere. They entirely went away after Yona went through the secret passage and all through the backstory segment. So I can't complain too much.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dagashi Kashi 5

That awkward moment when you see your dad trying to be hip and uploading a terrible video on the internet. I need more of You being a LEGEND.
The last time Hotaru win something, she stuck on a rice paddle, so there's that (lol).
That was fun.

Theonik

b6jdhzr.jpg

Those are some generic looking girls.
'This show is full of ordinary girls so the viewer may enjoy how cute the mechs are'

"I found my new waifu."
Who would ever say that?
Wanna fight?!

Yona of the Dawn 12
the 8-bit RPG style of this moment doesn't seem appropriate. But those moments are usually kept away from the important emotional scenes so they can't interfere. They entirely went away after Yona went through the secret passage and all through the backstory segment. So I can't complain too much.
That looks more like Dig Dug than an 8-bit RPG!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sekko Boys 5
Random bits with Medici and Hermes playing with their food made me chuckle.
RIP Mars.

This scene amuse me.
translator-san play MGSV said:

Trivia time.
Tomokazu Sugita voice Kaz in Metal Gear Solid V

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.3
It's piecing together slowly now with
SERN being the real evil scientists here
. Looks like they are the ones responsible for the
time jumps and memory inconsistencies being experienced
as well. Looking forward to the whole microwave experiment being recreated again in a larger format, as well as meeting John Tutor. This is pretty good so far with it's interesting cast of characters and passive aggressive storyline.

blurr

Steins Gate ep.3
It's piecing together slowly now with
SERN being the real evil scientists here
. Looks like they are the ones responsible for the
time jumps and memory inconsistencies being experienced
as well. Looking forward to the whole microwave experiment being recreated again in a larger format, as well as meeting John Tutor. This is pretty good so far with it's interesting cast of characters and passive aggressive storyline.

First ten episodes gets a lot of flak for being a drag/bad but I really enjoyed it.

tuffy

First ten episodes gets a lot of flak for being a drag/bad but I really enjoyed it.
I never really got that complaint either. I got a nice sense of growing unease from those early episodes, and there's something to be said for ratcheting up the show's tension at a slow and steady pace.

Cornbread78

Cat Planet Cuties ep.8
Oh, the love triangle continues on. At least they try to keep it funny with their unique personalities. Needs more car girl though, lol.

Cornbread78

I never really got that complaint either. I got a nice sense of growing unease from those early episodes, and there's something to be said for ratcheting up the show's tension at a slow and steady pace.

The only part that feels really off is the passive-aggressive tone the show has taken so far. It's a mix of silly and serious constantly with no consistency, but I also don't mind that because of the character diversity.

Dagashi Kashi - 05

Really enjoyed the first part with the whole druggie aspect.
I think it's nice to see Cocodad getting more screen time and I hope he'll receive more. He has great chemistry with Hotaru and their combined presences can spark some fun moments. Speaking of screen time, there's not been enough Saya.

I liked when they played the dramatic music and then abruptly cut to (one of the best parts of the anime adaption);
DE!

ViciousDS

Banned
Hunter x Hunter episode 111

Charge x and x invade

Shits going down aaaawwww yes. Netero is a fucking bonafide badass. Can't wait for gon to fight pitou. Hoping the king does fight Netero.....shit would be sssoooo good.

jordisok

Hunter x Hunter episode 11

Charge x and x invade

Shits going down aaaawwww yes. Netero is a fucking bonafide badass. Can't wait for gon to fight pitou. Hoping the king does fight Netero.....shit would be sssoooo good.

HxH has way faster pacing than I remember

Sterok

Aikatsu 170

You can tell the designers smell blood in the water for the Starlight Cup this year, especially with no Mizuki or Sakura around to win unopposed. What's this? Two new dances in a row? In the current Aikatsu? Madness. Good, but Sumire still has the best one out of Luminas.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My local theater was showing Nausicaa today, decided to go since I haven't seen the movie yet. Pretty good film, but there is one major animation error I'm surprised made it to production. From escaping the air ship until being shot, her outfit is pink. After that, it becomes Blue. I know the plot called for her to have a blue dress for the final scene, but still.

Was slightly odd the previews advertising the Miyazaki month used the dub, but the movie was subtitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom