• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

My local theater was showing Nausicaa today, decided to go since I haven't seen the movie yet. Pretty good film, but there is one major animation error I'm surprised made it to production. From escaping the air ship until being shot, her outfit is pink. After that, it becomes Blue. I know the plot called for her to have a blue dress for the final scene, but still.

Was slightly odd the previews advertising the Miyazaki month used the dub, but the movie was subtitled.

Quick glance at google says that's not a mistake but her dress was dyed blue by Ohmu blood.

HAIKYU!! 2nd Season Episode 18 – The Losers
tumblr_o256v6CBMc1qbxqfpo3_540.png
tumblr_o256v6CBMc1qbxqfpo4_540.png

The looks Tsukki was sending Hianta were great, and that mention of their private training with Bokuto, Akashi, Kuroo, and Lev. 3rd Gym is the gift that keeps on giving and will forever be the best part of Haikyuu!!.

Wakunan match delivered, Ennoshita time was worth it and showed that we need way more time with the 2nd years. I pray for the day we get a Kinoshita and Narita arc.

So stoked for the Iron Wall of Datekou! and Koganegawa and Mad Dog chan animated!

tuffy

Quick glance at google says that's not a mistake but her dress was dyed blue by Ohmu blood.
You can see this happening at about the 1:43 mark in the film, when she's trying to keep the wounded baby from going into the acidic water. She gets splashed by the blue blood and her outfit changes colors.

Ascheroth

Durararara X2 - 29

This is getting so freaking good (It was already good before, but this season just keeps getting better and better).
I did not expect the direction things went in this episode, but I'm loving it.
Kujiragi kindnapping Shinra, leading to Celty going berserk, leading to Varona getting involved, leading to her thinking more about Shizuo, leading to Shizuo riding on Celties horse, which transformed into a bycycle for him, lol.

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 43
tumblr_o258ayFSBV1qbxqfpo1_540.png

The new first years for Inashira and Seido are getting a ton of screentime, I guess this signals the beginning of the end of the first series. Still it at least doesnt suggest or provide hints as to who will win this game. Perhaps Seido will end up on the loser side just like Inashiro.

Kawakami continues to be best Ace, he did well for the three innings thus far and even though this fourth is pretty rocky I have faith he can make it through without pulling a Furuya.

Nori-senpai has so much love from everyone.

Clov

Watched my Night on the Galactic Railroad BD with my fiance last night. It's still just as fantastic as I remember, though my fiance didn't like it as much as me. She didn't hate it, but said that she liked anime films with more dialogue in them. Bah! Anyway, a few things worth mentioning about the BD release...

While the film does look nice in HD, the transfer isn't exactly the greatest. The picture has a bit of noise to it, and it's quite grainy at times. You can even see the cue marks in the corner of the screen every now and then! This didn't bother me too much, but it's very noticeable and is something anyone who's considering buying the BD should know about. Apparently our version of the BD is slightly better than the Japanese version, which was windowboxed and interlaced; this release isn't windowboxed at all, and is in 1080p. Nothing to worry about in that area.

Anyway, if you like the film at all, this is the best it's going to look, since I doubt the company who released it in Japan is going to do a new transfer of it. If you haven't seen the film at all, watch it! It's wonderful.

Watched my Night on the Galactic Railroad BD with my fiance last night. It's still just as fantastic as I remember, though my fiance didn't like it as much as me. She didn't hate it, but said that she liked anime films with more dialogue in them. Bah!

Show her Shashinkan. If she doesn't like that, she has no soul.

Anyway, a few things worth mentioning about the BD release...

While the film does look nice in HD, the transfer isn't exactly the greatest. The picture has a bit of noise to it, and it's quite grainy at times. You can even see the cue marks in the corner of the screen every now and then! This didn't bother me too much, but it's very noticeable and is something anyone who's considering buying the BD should know about. Apparently our version of the BD is slightly better than the Japanese version, which was windowboxed and interlaced; this release isn't windowboxed at all, and is in 1080p. Nothing to worry about in that area.

Anyway, if you like the film at all, this is the best it's going to look, since I doubt the company who released it in Japan is going to do a new transfer of it. If you haven't seen the film at all, watch it! It's wonderful.

Sounds good. I'm a fan of the movie so I will definitely pick this up.

Snow White with the Red Hair Episode 16 The Name of that Step Is Change

Aw I wanted to spend much much more time with Raj and Shirayuki and Obi at the castle. It has been so funny and hilarious.

Pirate ship girl ruins the anime, as well as the whole other plot. I dont think we needed this sort of drama.

Jarmel

Banned
Haikyuu-18

I didn't really feel this episode or this arc as a whole. It felt a bit too utilatarian, some of which was probably on purpose. The ending to the match was a little flat for me. I understand a lot of this is setup for next season/year though.

Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 5 Again – Just You, Only You

The music made this all really emotional, many tears shed over Kadowaki being the one to cause people to get emotional. The KGB incident even, ouch.

JulianImp

Durarara #28-29
I've finally regained interest in this show. Shizuo has actually gone through a fair bit of character development, but I guess he's finally back to nearly snapping because of Izaya's schemes. Everybody else doing relevant stuff was fun as well, since most things have already been set in place and the show can now move on to just making plot threads and characters interact more.

Phantom World #5
I've got to say I don't like Koito's sound-based abilities at all, since they were being used to basically shoot energy beams a-la Dragon Ball this episode.

I also laughed out loud when the teacher went "don't you have healing abilities, Reina?", since it was one hell of a bad way to introduce that skill (show, don't tell!), and I hate it when new abilities get introduced out of nowhere. That makes tension a lot less believable if characters can conveniently come up with new abilities as the plot demands, and then handwave them with the excuse that they just haven't shown those abilities during previous episodes.

It's still somewhat enjoyable, but doesn't appear to be going anywhere interesting anytime soon.

Galko #5
This show is way more harenchi than other ecchi shows while showing absolutely nothing. As others have said, seeing just what sort of things Galko's sister is into made that "hair on uniform" scene from the previous episode take on a whole new meaning.

Marshmallow Ojisan #5
I don't think I can take a whole season's worth of "girl does suggestive stuff to entice her boss, but all he cares about is marshmallows", but then again the previous episode which was all Hige and nothing else was even more underwhelming.

I've had it with being a magical girl #3-4
Kept watching this just in case it got any better, but it looks that isn't going to be the case. Dropped.

Qurupeke

Phantom World #5
I also laughed out loud when the teacher went "don't you have healing abilities, Reina?", since it was one hell of a bad way to introduce that skill (show, don't tell!), and I hate it when new abilities get introduced out of nowhere. That makes tension a lot less believable if characters can conveniently come up with new abilities as the plot demands, and then handwave them with the excuse that they just haven't shown those abilities during previous episodes.

It doesn't make the scene much better but they've actually shown this again, when Reina was sucking Haruhiko's finger on episode 2 and she healed his cut.

phaze

Your still missing the massive build up to that fight (which is the whole point of that fact and there's still another 5 episodes after it), and why would you do that anyway, I can't possibly imagine why you'd spoil such a fight late into an anime unless you had no intention of actually watching said anime. Quickest way to kill interest in any anime even if you would otherwise have enjoyed it.

Well bingo, I already dropped it two episodes in and since everyone hyped the fight I decided to watch it. That I picked I back now was due to some favourable impressions both here and in the AOTY thread but alas ...

Garo 7-8
And dropped.

Code Breaker 01
owtumnycklk.png

At least this one is funny.

jordisok

Chihayafuru - 1-16

I'm really enjoying this. Obviously had no familiarity with the game/sport/100 poets beforehand!

also the first OP is dope.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Other than creepy robot chick, Dimension W's biggest sin is how it utterly fails to meaningfully explore its premise.
Don't really agree. Episode four went way deeper into the concepts and horror aspects than I ever would've imagined.

Myriad Colors Phantom World Episode 5 – I Can't Use My Special Abilities!

Haruhiko sealing is the best ability and looks the best.

I dont think they really delivered on Koito-san's development and plot. She is still cold and such to everyone, I'll hope she opens up next episode or else its a lost cause in resolution just like the previous episode was.

Clov

Show her Shashinkan. If she doesn't like that, she has no soul.

I had been meaning to watch this one for a while, so we watched it together. Absolutely beautiful! Not only is it incredibly well animated, but it tells such a wonderful story without any dialogue. What a fantastic short film! She loved it too, so I guess she has a soul after all. :p

Speaking of short films, Koji Yamamura is coming out with a new one called Satie's Parade. He's one of my favorite independent animators so I'm very excited for this one, especially after how much I loved Muybridge's Strings. Here's the trailer!

Other than creepy robot chick, Dimension W's biggest sin is how it utterly fails to meaningfully explore its premise.

What do you want to see it do? The premise is basically pseudo-science gooblygook that allows the series to do whatever fantastical stuff it feels like.

I had been meaning to watch this one for a while, so we watched it together. Absolutely beautiful! Not only is it incredibly well animated, but it tells such a wonderful story without any dialogue. What a fantastic short film! She loved it too, so I guess she has a soul after all. :p

Speaking of short films, Koji Yamamura is coming out with a new one called Satie's Parade. He's one of my favorite independent animators so I'm very excited for this one, especially after how much I loved Muybridge's Strings. Here's the trailer!

Good! Shashinkan is hard to dislike. XX posted a little earlier in the thread about Yamamura's Parade; I'm not a big fan of Satie's music but I'm certainly interested in this. Hopefully it'll be accessible in some form for those of us outside Japan.

Majin Bone 3-5

The fights in this are so good holy shit.

It's the smoothest, most fluid animation I've ever seen CG be in anime. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, oh man.

So I remembered that this is based off of a game. With what happened near the end of episode 5, I'm really interested to seeing how the game's mechanics are applied to the show. (I don't expect them to follow the rules 1:1, as shows like Yu-Gi-Oh have taught me, haha).

I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would so far.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just finished episode 3, so maybe things get better, but I doubt it.
I should probably say that I don't really know what the missed potential is for Dimension W. The premise is that it's a dumb action show in a futuristic setting run by powerful corporations, fueled by an antagonistic buddy cop pair of a grumpy man who hates technology and a robot that pushes the boundary of what it means to be a robot. The set up just facilitates boring bounty hunter style high jinks on the surface, but episode four starts to set up layered bits of time that actually play up the existence of another dimension. Definitely a show that's exceeding my expectations right now.

Just T

Gate: 17

Pretty good episode. Nice display from Lelei. I think dragging along unstable Tuka was a mistake but guess it worked out in the end and she came through with that attack. Thought Yao got scorched or eaten about four times during that dragon fight.

ibyea

Banned
Mononoke - 3-7
You know, I figured out why conversations felt so freaking weird in the previous episodes. This show has an atypical conversation camera placement, often times placing a person's face on one half of the camera, one third of it, or the camera covering half their face. It's weird, but it works along side with all the weirdness that is this show.

Episodes 3-5: Sea Bishop.
Firstly, I was really fascinated by the architecture of this ship. It has this Japanese style patio and this aquarium around the wall in the ship, very ostentatious as befitting the rich, money obsessed owner. The most compelling part is that hall with the stairs, which had this Escher-esque quality to them. I was just a big fan of the design, so creative. And this is in more general terms for the show, I love the shifting of architecture and the distorting of space and perspective that happen when the mononokes heavily start having effect. It's effectively creepy and it makes these creatures have a very "Lovecraftian", for lack of a better term, kind of feeling.

As for the story, boy does this one have a heavy horror bent. It's also less heavy on the abstraction compared to the previous episodes. The haunting of the Mononoke is surprisingly straightforward in this one. There are two particular very memorable moments. One when this giant, horrific shell/barnacle structure came from the sky and picked up the ship with long chain of fish bones. The other is the instrument playing fish that gave everyone horrifically creative nightmares. It was just glorious.

The story itself, wow, really messed up, involving siblings with incestual feelings for each other, the brother being too scared to be a human sacrifice, his sister going instead, and his fear of the worst part of himself, that part of everyone that think of terrible things and hate themselves for it. That last part is the most fascinating part and the one that gives the biggest punch in terms of the story.

Episode 6-7:
This one is different. Not nearly as horror heavy as the previous two stories, and a lot more of the tragic story of a woman who was abused by her mother to get her to marry someone rich and then abused by the rich family. She was sent to prison and sentenced to death because she killed the whole family. The abstraction pulled in the episode is the masks and the masked mononoke, in which she is willing to erase all parts of herself in order to satiate her mom. Then there were the parts where the real her left her body and her face got replaced by a mask. Finally of course, the reveal that she was the mononoke all along, trapped in her mental prison, and the people she killed was herself. The abstractions in this episode, and the show in general, while tending to make things somewhat more confusing, tend to be very striking and at times intense. I don't think I have felt quiet like this ever. Thankfully they are never obfuscation and the story always makes sense in the end once you think about it for a bit.

This story has the most direct confrontation out of any of the stories, with the medicine vendor fighting a masked manshaped mononoke. It gave me one of my favorite moment, with the vendor regaining his face, then fighting as the camera swivels around the room, after which he summons the mirror, which turns large, and cracks the mask of the mononoke as the walls sink to the ground while a beautiful autumn background appears. This show is so freaking good.

This is the most disorienting story in terms of the senses. This show in general have been disorienting, but this episode contains a lot of the blurry shakyness, jump cuts, and pieces of animation that suddenly change between frames that are repertoire of this show's bag of tricks. This show is definitely not good for those with motion sickness.
Extra remark: This is going to sound really stupid, but the show reminds me of Doctor Who. A so called Medicine Vendor travelling around Edo period Japan defeating monsters vs a so called Doctor travelling around time and space defeating monsters. XD

The greatest mystery of the season isn't in ERASED.

The greatest mystery is how a candy shop stays open in a town with a population of five people.

Wait, maybe this is a sign there's a connection between Dagashi Kashi and ERASED!

ibyea

Banned

The greatest mystery is how a candy shop stays open in a town with a population of five people.

Wait, maybe this is a sign there's a connection between Dagashi Kashi and ERASED!

Erased will never live that chocolate story down. XD

JulianImp

Non Non Biyori also has a candy shop in a small rural town where there appear to only be about seven or eight young children in all (unless there're other kids that just go to schools farther away than Asahigaoka's for some reason).

Jintor

As someone living in a small rural japanese town with a shittonne of stores that mysteriously stay open despite no customerbase, I had it explained to me like this:

• you don't need to pay rent
  • you live in the house so you're going to pay electricity and gas and water anyway
  • you've always done it so there's systems in place to keep it going pretty easily

yami4ct

Erased 05

That wasn't that bad. It was just an OK episode in a show with a history of fantastic ones, so it's a disappointment for sure. I wouldn't say it cuts my hope for the future at all or excitement about the show.

This episode definitely panders to Erased's worst tendencies. Tones of silly coincidence and over the top melodrama. On the flip side, though, I felt the emotional through line still worked for me. Even if I'm not completely satisfied with this episode on a plot or logic level, the show still has hooked me on a tonal and emotional one. It's managed to really get me invested in these set of characters and I want to see all the ups and downs of their journey.

And, yeah, that chocolate story was real dumb. Hope that doesn't become the prevailing internet narrative of the show, though. It's a bad section for sure, but not really representative of the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom