• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Prison School 8

These faces were good.

iKinSl0.jpg
6zxysNV.jpg

Good faces, all of them.

Emotions were good.

The manga Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū will end in its 10th volume, revealed in the 9th volume that released today. Dunno what this means for the anime.

Shashinkan

This is like the opening sequence of Up, only better.

Also, I have to say that Takashi Nakamura is the most European-influenced of all the Japanese animators I've seen.

Caught up on Rakugo. Man, so, so good.

I'll post impressions later but I cant remember if there were any other anime set in this time period. I guess Grave of the Fireflies counts?

Dresden

Wow, Shashinkan is great. What it is has been talked about already so I'll just type and ramble little about how it ends, which I loved.

Shashinkan follows this woman from childhood to old age, and through it we see a succession of events bookmarked by shifting views of the town and of deaths that come one-by-one of those she loves. It covers a good stretch of Japanese history--events that are broadly recognizable, but never more than that, because of the scope of this 16-minute short just doesn't allow it. Which is fine; the background has been set, and basically this comes near the end when she goes back to the house of the photographer who has taken the pictures of her family and of herself through the last few decades of her life.

We see her through the window, then beyond it, then we see from the woman's perspective, and this progression is sustained from one photo to another, until at last it leads her to the photographer's study where she finds the photographer's collection--all the lives he had glimpsed in these brief parlor encounters, frozen and captured but never in transition--and in that collection she finds a photo of her son. Her son, who we had seen grow from infant to child to young man to soldier, the last living view of him in that parlor, attired in all the terrible finery of that army. And there her mind closes--the scene shifts to another period of time, when she has arrived home, and a similar collection whose scope is constrained to that of her family alone meets her eye.

Here the music has stilled, and I was prepared for some display of grief which never came; instead, she smiles. The piano picks up again. As it pans from pictures of her husband to her son to her parents, there's this sense of a life well lived, that despite the termination of others this termination has never resulted in her abandonment--there, as she sits alone in her room, with the pictures as her company, what takes her is a sense of belonging, that she is not alone.

And here we come back to the woman in the photographer's study, her reverie disrupted by the photographer's arrival. I guess I should note that the study is as well-lived as the room in her mind or the room that he had slept in when the woman arrived. There's toys arrayed on shelves and pictures paraded on walls and it's very bustling and lively despite the coldness of what they contain, the dead things they are printed on and carved out of. And I think what I really liked about it at the very, very end is not the woman's smile at the last picture they take, but in how he includes himself, that they take the picture together.

Ledsen

What are some of the best action shows of 2000-2015? Less dragon ball/naruto style, more Gurren Lagann, samurai champloo, re cutie honey, black lagoon, bebop, hellsing etc. basically stylish stuff with good animation. some degree of fan service is fine, but no endless episodes where two people grunt at each other for 20 mins. Thanks guys and girls!

What are some of the best action shows of 2000-2015? Less dragon ball/naruto style, more Gurren Lagann, samurai champloo, re cutie honey, black lagoon, bebop, hellsing etc. basically stylish stuff with good animation. some degree of fan service is fine, but no endless episodes where two people grunt at each other for 20 mins. Thanks guys and girls!
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta and Hoshi no Umi
Code:Breaker
Birdy Decode

Dresden

Phantom world 2 :

The first half of this is battle shonen af and i don't mind that kinda stuff so it was alright. Then after the eyecatch suddenly the girls are taking showers and stretching in their PE clothes for some reason and then there was a peeping UFO??? That's about where I stopped watching.

And the violence exacted against the fairy thing is really weird. Maybe it's because I remember Jexhius noting it a while back, but the main guy just can't stop beating or choking or slamming her against the wall. She's basically a human in miniature, Indian in the Cupboard style, so the cartoonish exaggeration doesn't quite dull the impact.

Mature

Darker than Black
Gundam Build Fighters
One Punch Man

Snow White Episode 10
Akagami_no_Shirayukihime_10_Large_10.jpg

Geez, I wonder which one of them is the villain of this episode?

Alright, pretty eh episode.
The villain is such a cliche, it's hard to take him seriously. He wants to hunt these birds for their feathers, and basically tells all the commoners who rely on the birds to live to fuck off because "Lol fuck commoners."
And if I can't take him seriously, then I can't take this whole problem seriously.
It's a bit of a problem with this show. People in power either seem to actively despise the people they should be serving, or devote everything, their entire soul and being, to them.

Didn't really feel anything for the kiss either.

Depending on what you mean by "some degree of fanservice", Kill la Kill may fit your criteria. It's sort of a Gurren Lagann spiritual successor due to having the same staff and tone, though it's not as good.

jonjonaug

Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero are two of the best action anime made in the last ten years. Kara no Kyoukai having some of the best fights and Fate/Zero being the best written (and also having some really cool fights).

EDIT: Though I wouldn't really call it an action show (there are episodes heavy on the action), Space Dandy fits the bill of a show with "stylish stuff with good animation".

/XX/

Also, I have to say that Takashi Nakamura is the most European-influenced of all the Japanese animators I've seen.
Be it stylistically or in terms of animation processes and techniques applied to independent work, I can't get enough of artists with such influences too! And it is a pleasure to see that more recently one of the most complete ones like Kōji Yamamura announced a new short based on Erik Satie's musicalization of Parade (never ceases to amaze seeing the artisan craft involved in each individual sheet).

Worst thing is that coming after his partnership with the NFB for Muybridge's Strings that made distribution more global and quicker (although at first exclusive for a time to their "Mediatheques"), the way these exhibitions will be handled outside of the local showings is up in the air, once again. Looking forward to it eventually, anyway.

yami4ct

Erased 1-4

After hearing the heaps of praise endlessly laid on this, I finally decided to check it out. Not since From the New World has an anime grabbed me so quickly. This show really feels like something special to me. I think mostly that's because it executes on this cold and lonely tone extremely well. The winter scenery of course helps this a ton. The overall mystery is interesting and absolutely keeps pulling me back in.

There are some problems it runs into. Villains are all so damn obvious from the get-go. There is very little depth in the bad people currently. They are shown as nearly evil incarnate. The show also maybe wallows a bit too much in misery as well, and it can often times feel like a cheap way to grab sympathy as opposed to fostering any sort of real emotional connection.

Overall the show has been immensely successful for me so far and I'm absolutely going to be hooked until the end. I've heard mixed things about episode 5, but even the best shows have a misstep or two on the way to the end. With a start like this, I'm fairly confident it'll at least mostly continue to be something to watch.

Line_HTX

Konosuba 02

Right... As I said before, I needed a moment to not laugh so hard my sides hurt. I don't play many MMO's as I've only played 2 before for an extended period of time, and I have run into people at endgame dungeons such as this mage who refuses to optimize their whole skillset. It was like they spent ALL of their skill points onto the one thing they like the most and everything else be damned. Hence this girl only likes the explosion spell. The moment she repeatedly said she only spams one skill is when I lost it. This is exactly the reason they never get partied with or get kicked.

Well, I had a good laugh so I'm definitely sold on this one, ROFL

blurr

Oshiete Galko-chan 05

Psychological test was really something. Albeit the answers the girls gave felt so out of context. Galko-chan's sister sure is bold.

Sekkou Boys 05

Mars-kun got pwned. I still find myself laughing looking at Giorgio after episode 4. That look he has. Tomokazu Sugita is nailing it.

Ojisan to Marshmallow 05

This show goes from charming to lewd at a whim.

Shouwa Genroku 05

Nice to see Kiku finally found his place in the world of entertainment. There was no reason to push towards something he isn't characteristically cut out but he can improvise to make sure the outcome remains the same.

Heavy Object Episode 17

0vRLydLl.jpg

"You're the only one I love, baby!"

Oh right, I've completely forgotten about the mysterious noble daughter from Qwenthur's childhood lol. She became an idol now and as far as I know, we've only seen two idol characters.

We get more backstory for Qwenthur as he reveals more of his motivation to 'make it big' and get job stability after witnessing the downfall of a Noble family. And we see that heroism runs in the family. Kamachi does love the concept of the everyday salary man hero.

Similar to the previous arc, the main objective for Qwenthur and Haivia is to handicap the enemy Object's facilities to give Baby Magnum an edge. Difference is this time it's a more complicated operation that involves the team splitting up. We get whole bunch of new characters this time too.

Ascheroth

Heavy Object Episode 17

0vRLydLl.jpg

"You're the only one I love, baby!"

Oh right, I've completely forgotten about the mysterious noble daughter from Qwenthur's childhood lol. She became an idol now and as far as I know, we've only seen two idol characters.

We get more backstory for Qwenthur as he reveals more of his motivation to 'make it big' and get job stability after witnessing the downfall of a Noble family. And we see that heroism runs in the family. Kamachi does love the concept of the everyday salary man hero.

Similar to the previous arc, the main objective for Qwenthur and Haivia is to handicap the enemy Object's facilities to give Baby Magnum an edge. Difference is this time it's a more complicated operation that involves the team splitting up. We get whole bunch of new characters this time too.

I thought they made it completely obvious who that is. In the flashback you can see she has silverish twintails, and right after Qwenthur mentions she became an idol, it cuts to the idol with the filmcrew, who also has twintails and the same haircolor.

I thought they made it completely obvious who that is. In the flashback you can see she has silverish twintails, and right after Qwenthur mentions she became an idol, it cuts to the idol with the filmcrew, who also has twintails and the same haircolor.

That's what I think too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They pulled that Love Live dub advert from Twitter. Maybe they realised fake quotes aren't a good idea after all.

Quasar

Dagashi Kashi 5 - Enjoyed this episode, especially the first section. I found the whole youtube bit terribly amusing. And the whole drug comparison/jokes to that candy amused me. And the choking scene gave me flashbacks to my childhood of this local candy called 'Fizz Wizz', which was essentially a bag full of powdered sherbert with a spoon and on more than a few occasions I recall friends chocking on it like in this.

God Eater
M3
Guilty Crown
K

duckroll

Forget TV shows. Just watch Sword of the Stranger over and over.

Qurupeke

Golden Time 16-17

I liked the first episode a lot but the comedy in the end, even if it was hilarious, felt anticlimatic. Being Koko is pure suffering. I liked how they handled the whole accident thing, even though they turned it a bit melodramatic. Koko feels really different since the start but it's like the third time she has reflected on her actions. That's a bit of progress I guess.

And the relationship also seems to progress. We've gone from something just to get on Mitsuo, to forgetting the past and now accepting it. It feels a bit quick though, there are quite a few episodes left, I hope they'll focus on something else for them. I really feel this show shouldn't be 24 episodes. And there is still that ghost, ugh.

Also, Mitsuo x Linda needs to happen.

Aki-at

Overlord - 6

I lost it with the body pillow scene. Series had a boring start but picks up with each successive episode.

Caught up on Rakugo. Man, so, so good.

I'll post impressions later but I cant remember if there were any other anime set in this time period. I guess Grave of the Fireflies counts?

There aren't too many, but I can think of a couple set in mid-20th century Japan worth checking out:

Aoi Bungaku (specifically the No Longer Human and Run Melos segments)
Mouryou no Hako
Skull Man (set in an alternate world based on mid-20th century Japan)

There's a couple more set around World War II, such as Barefoot Gen and Giovanni's Island, but that's probably not quite what you're looking for. You might want to keep an eye on the upcoming TV show Joker Game though; it follows a group of spies in the lead up to World War II.

There are quite a few.

Baccano (this is popular enough you may have already seen it)
Blue Exorcist: The Movie
Boruto: Naruto the Movie
Code:Breaker
Fate/Zero
Full Metal Alchemist 2003/FMA Brotherhood/FMA Milos
Garo the Animation (a.k.a., Garo: Honoo no Kokuin)
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV
Kizuna Ichigeki
Noein
Noragami
Sword of the Stranger
You Are Umasou
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta (and Hoshi no Umi)

Good anime this season?

Dimension W
Haikyuu S2
Prince of Stride Alternative
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Tabi Machi Late Show

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 05
This episode maneuvered its way around some of the sore spots I have about the series to be something truly incredible. There's a missing element to the character animation that tends to leave the rakugo performances lacking the intense expression they need to really become as captivating as they should be. I tend to be much more attached to the pieces around the performance, and this episode's stage play creates a long lead-in to the production and is able to mitigate the weak character acting with a format that relies less on a single individual. Sukeroku's boisterous and friendly nature isn't limited to how the character acts, but the web of connections he's made are flaunted here, and emphasize an outgoing personality that Yakumo feels he lacks.

This alienation and longing has a palpable tension that runs through the episode, but its resolution is given tangible merit. Miyokichi's presence and influence provides a soft comfort that helps lead a path to a more sensual place; one we see bounce off Sukeroku, and ultimately serve as a resting place for Yakumo stylistically. Confidence is tested before taking shape here, and the stage play scene's cuts from captivated audience to close ups of Sukeroku drag the viewer in to latch on to the performance.

This was probably the best episode of anything I've watched so far this season. If people were struck the wrong way by this series on the intro, I'd really push stuff like this as a reason to come back.

blurr

Maria the Virgin Witch 06

I like the themes this show is handling but not entirely content with the way it is going about it. The serious themes of war and humanity juxtaposes with its silliness which is fine but it feels a bit too generalized I suppose. I feel that the themes require a more fundamental assessment of humans individually and collectively. Maybe it will delve into that later on or not and I'm just yapping some nonsense.

Maria was in a dilemma about establishing peace and having her 'crush/love' by her side, practically everything she wanted at the cost of overlooking a single war, effectively denying her ideology even if it is for a moment. This was handled well, it was cruel for her but the answer was clear. She had to stick to her word but since her 'love' was involved the dilemma intensified by emotional pressure but it didn't last long. She realizes what she's doing is wrong.

It's amazing how even when an action with both logical and emotional meaning compel her, she didn't succumb and it doesn't feel unreasonable either.

Also, I'm not sure how Viv fits in to this so far, she has made a few appearances but nothing she does feels significant/has potential.

Also, what do you know, the priest is a nutjob! because hysterical laughter

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 05

This episode maneuvered its way around some of the sore spots I have about the series to be something truly incredible. There's a missing element to the character animation that tends to leave the rakugo performances lacking the intense expression they need to really become as captivating as they should be. I tend to be much more attached to the pieces around the performance, and this episode's stage play creates a long lead-in to the production and is able to mitigate the weak character acting with a format that relies less on a single individual. Sukeroku's boisterous and friendly nature isn't limited to how the character acts, but the web of connections he's made are flaunted here, and emphasize an outgoing personality that Yakumo feels he lacks.

my thoughts exactly, at least the voice over work checks out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom