• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Depending on what you mean, I disagree.

Personally, I didn't enjoy Sex & Violence with Machspeed or Dead Leaves, which are Imaishi at his most juvenile and vulgar. On the other hand, I liked Gurren Lagann a great deal, which is incredibly over-the-top.

The episodes of Panty and Stocking I saw were alright, so I don't know where that puts me.

Thoraxes

Personally, I didn't enjoy Sex & Violence with Machspeed or Dead Leaves, which are Imaishi at his most juvenile and vulgar. On the other hand, I liked Gurren Lagann a great deal, which is incredibly over-the-top.

The episodes of Panty and Stocking I saw were alright, so I don't know where that puts me.

Not to mention P&S is mostly episodic.
It's one thing to have eggs for hairpins, but an eye?
aliens.jpg

TUSR

Banned
It's one thing to have eggs for hairpins, but an eye?

bljrTe7.jpg

I'd call it a case by case thing. I'd say Imaishi is generally at his best when he's crazy, but coherent, which even ends up even being inspiring from time to time. Episode 11 of Gurren Lagann falls under that, which holds my favorite moment in anime period. Same thing with the final episode. It's fascinating as he's using extreme spectacles as a vehicle for some profound aesops, and they work damn well. Though that may be more Nakashima than Imaishi.

At the same time, I find value in his total nonsense as well, even if as nothing more than a stylish showcase. Dead Leaves is damn great imo because of that, though I agree Sex and Violence was a bit disappointing even if still amusing.

Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu 5

That fishing part was so out of place with the tone and atmosphere the show has set so far. I didn't like it at all. =/

ViciousDS

Banned
Hunter x Hunter 125-126

Wow.....did not see that coming for Netero....sucks though. I was expecting so much more from the fight. Blows my mind how strong the king actually is.

But this part at the end of 125 got me laughing and all like wtf

tumblr_n4gpdnTDfO1qenvj9o1_500.gif

Crocodile

Depending on what you mean, I disagree.

TTGL = GOAT tier show
KLK = Under-delivered though that had more to do with where the narrative went, characterization of some of the cast, mediocre production, the clothing theme wasn't well fleshed out, etc. The fanservice overall was fine with me but stuff like the "bad touch" moments needed to be handled with a finesse that Imaishi just doesn't have IMO.
P&S = Uneven due to being episodic mostly but the episodes that were good were awesome. Sexuality is so unexplored in a lot of anime I kind of appreciated what this show tried to do in that end.
Cutie Honey = I honestly don't remember a ton since I watched this like a decade ago but I remember really liking it so count this as a positive. Honey was great and so was her relationship with that cop-lady. I think they even got together at the end?
Dead Leaves = TRASH. Just nonsense with some interesting animation/production.
Sex, Violence & Mach Speed = TRASH. More nonsense

I appreciate the pure fun, manic energy and "over-the-top-ness" he can bring to the medium but its also clear that if he isn't "checked" (by other writers, IP holders, circumstances, etc.) that he has a tendency to step into the realm of gross or incoherent. Kind of like you mentioned before, I want that controlled chaos from him, not just pure chaos.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Caught up on Rakugo. Man, so, so good.

I'll post impressions later but I cant remember if there were any other anime set in this time period. I guess Grave of the Fireflies counts?
There's a show that's simply called Shouwa Monogatari which is about the life of a family living the era. It's not licensed however, so you need to use "the internet" to find a way to watch it.

Prison School - end

Looking back, this was kinda perverted.
Duh.

I wonder if I should watch the new Precure when it starts? The last one (and only one) I've watched is Smile, so I don't have a ton of exposure to Precure. Might make for a fun watch.
Final Thoughts on Go Princess Precure
So that's Go Princess Precure. Not quite the best despite having the writing and animation to stand at the top. If it had just a bit more of its own soul it could've been something really special. Still, it won me over from a bunch of generic drek with nothing happening to an entertaining show with well executed characters and themes with nothing but solid writing. Is it the best in the franchise? No, but I wouldn't mind putting it in the top 5. Toei has shown they can actually write and animate something that's actually good for a year long toy commercial. Now let's see if Mahou Tsukai can do something interesting with that talent.
I almost wonder if there will ever be a show to top Smile for me. I know Smile isn't great, but I can't help but just wish every other show as Smile and nothing really comes close to keeping my attention. I didn't even bother with Go, sadly.

(Which is silly because I enjoyed watching "Glitter Force" so I don't even know. lol)

Qurupeke

Koyomimonogatari 5- Koyomi Wind

I almost forgot that Nadeko used to be like that. So, this was a Nadeko episode? No, it was actually a Kaiki episode! And it also had Kaiki hidden in a corn field. And the punchline? Kaiki basically says that generations are getting dumber and dumber.

I really hate the 10 minutes format, this episode felt so short.

jonjonaug

FLCL episode 5 still the best Imaishi after 15 years

FLCL ep 5 is good but it's not really the best anything. The best Imaishi if you're just looking for crazy animation is Dead Leaves, the best individual episode he's done is the first episode of Re: Cutie Honey, and the best show he's directed is P&SwG.

Shergal

FLCL ep 5 is good but it's not really the best anything. The best Imaishi if you're just looking for crazy animation is Dead Leaves, the best individual episode he's done is the first episode of Re: Cutie Honey, and the best show he's directed is P&SwG.

I respectfully disagree :)

FLCL is not only totally iconic as an individual episode, it has the plus of being a pivotal moment of a bigger narrative and its worth goes up when considered with the rest of the series.

Chindogg

Koyomimonogatari 5- Koyomi Wind

I almost forgot that Nadeko used to be like that. So, this was a Nadeko episode? No, it was actually a Kaiki episode! And it also had Kaiki hidden in a corn field. And the punchline? Kaiki basically says that generations are getting dumber and dumber.

I really hate the 10 minutes format, this episode felt so short.

Man why did Nadeko
have to be insane and try to kill everyone? She was adorable. I understand she's pissed that she's so cute but seriously that shouldn't be a bad thing.

Man.....I'm so torn on chimera ants

I love them, then I hate them, Love them......and now I just hate them

The entire arc just goes on way too long.

duckroll

So the Spring schedule for the Ultra Super Anime Time block is Space Patrol Luluco, Lesbian Bahamut School, and Kagewani S2. RIP full length anime.

Jintor

Utena 19

Is that the plot kicking into gear? Subversions everywhere! Even Mr. Nice Guy escaped the fate of being forced to revolutionise the world!

/edit aww hot damn a two parter! That first two-parter was great and this looks great too!

Rakugo 5

While Erased is stumbling a bit, Rakugo remains strong in its fifth episode. More insight in the different ways the protagonists understand Rakugo, lots of scenes between them where you can see a mix of tension, jealousy and friendship
or something else?
, and the relationship with the geisha also confusing things up. Because it's interesting that the MC finally found his place in the scenarios when dressing up as a woman :p.
It was interesting seeing the audience intrigued about if the actor was a woman or really a man.

A very curious framing, btw, when he is dropping the ashes of the pipe.

Jintor

Utena 20

That was an amazing episode, probably the best Utena episode yet. Ended perfectly. There was some astounding single character animation shots of Wakaba throughout. The shot where Anthy runs past and she turns her head. The duel itself of course and its subversion of the standard format. The bit where she's slowly walking home and then starts running. Impeccable direction.

Theonik

Yeah,

Grisaia Specials ep. 1-5
Hot damn. Sister Testament still did it better, but damn..
Watch the rest. They are even better.

This is unexpected, but great news! I'm not sure where Kagewani will go from how it ended the first season, but I'll get behind any horror anime of this caliber.
The ending of Kagewani was pretty open for more material, given it's basically a 'The battle goes on' sort of setup.
I suppose it's either a more action oriented series or they will switch main characters.

Just finished watching Shirobako. Ruined.

Loved it, but I am a bit emotionally ruined. That show provided so many feelings, but that final scene in the second-to-last episode of the Third Aerial Girls Squad arc absolutely ruined me in the best possible way.

Will spoiler tag it, just in case anyone else is going through a similar catchup like me.

Seeing Shizuka read the role of Lucy whilst Miyamori was in the next room and the reaction before, during and after it was all done --- fuck, it was wonderful. Not ashamed to say, I shed a tear or two.

The realization she had that, at last, the five of them had worked on the same anime was just beautiful. The shock and then just straight up breaking down, bawling, in tears. So, so wonderful. Loved it.

It's a shame we're not getting any more episodes anytime soon, as I read the director's booked up for the next few years on other projects, but even then, that final scene works very well as an ending. I hope we get more down the line. But if not, as much as a shame that'd be, that last scene closed it off nicely.

Anyways, I'm starting to get into more slice of life stuff like Shirobako. Any suggestions, GAF hivemind? Cheers!

blurr

Sore ga Seiyuu from summer season last year centers around voice actors, covers more about them than Shirobako did. Not a fan of the character designs but they work (and that is how it is in the manga). Very informative and with good advice.

Personal favorite SoL (next to Shirobako of course) is Hanasaku Iroha. Part work life and drama. Highly recommend it.

While not SoL exactly, Planetes is a good work life drama as well, which can get political towards the end but still really good.

Iron Blood Orphans 18

I was half expecting that commander lady to go "HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO" fully disappointed she didn't. Mikazuki confirmed getting both girls, fuck choosing just one. Blood he dropped Char-wannabe's charade though since any idiot should have been able to figure out who he was.

duckroll

Anyways, I'm starting to get into more slice of life stuff like Shirobako. Any suggestions, GAF hivemind? Cheers!

Watch Silver Spoon. It's pretty educational and you can learn about what agricultural tertiary education is like in Japan while watching character grow and develop into better people.

The ending of Kagewani was pretty open for more material, given it's basically a 'The battle goes on' sort of setup.
I suppose it's either a more action oriented series or they will switch main characters.

Yeah, it had an open ending, but it also dramatically altered the status quo in the last episode. So I can't be sure what narrative path the second season will go.

Just finished watching Shirobako. Ruined.

It's a shame we're not getting any more episodes anytime soon, as I read the director's booked up for the next few years on other projects, but even then, that final scene works very well as an ending. I hope we get more down the line. But if not, as much as a shame that'd be, that last scene closed it off nicely.

The Shirobako official Twitter posted something about a movie project, but also said it wasn't related to Shirobako. Not sure what's going on there.

blurr

Iron Blooded Orphans 18

I love that the show concentrates a lot on its political aspect, there were many political entities visible throughout, each with their own intentions and Kudelia is showing more signs of becoming a strong character. This episode was more of an aftermath of the events in the past few episodes and for Kudelia's speech. It's very interesting to see McGilliss' approach them directly and even revealing his intention. I wonder where this will go.

That ending really hit the spot, Kudelia's went through a lot and even pulled off something on a huge scale. It's unlike anything she had done before and in addition to
Fumitan passing away
she is feeling unsure about herself but having people she is close to acknowledge and appreciate it grants this reassurance that she is doing fine. I also appreciate that they always make sure the ED song swiftly plays during the final scenes, really adds to the experience.

Theonik

Yeah, it had an open ending, but it also dramatically altered the status quo in the last episode. So I can't be sure what narrative path the second season will go.
I think there's a couple of very obvious ways they are likely to go with for season 2. Though what they decide is anyones guess.

Thoraxes

If you want another PA Works show, look into Hanasaku Iroha. It's 26 episodes, there's a movie too iirc, and overall I enjoyed it at least.

duckroll's mention of Silver Spoon (there's two seasons) is also really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom