• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Welp....need to watch some anime show and not too keen to go back watching GTO (not in the mood right now), look like I will go watch Watamote. Heard interesting impression of the show and want to start going to watch it. This time, I will make an impression of each episode of what I think of the show. Wish me luck gaf.

large.gif

ibyea

Banned
What you complain about wouldn't really be solved by giving the anime more episodes. Really, the whole problem is that the series could be really interesting if it focused more on character development - expand more on Satoru's relationship with Kayo and his other childhood friends, delve more into the themes of what you don't appreciate growing up that time helps you appreciate - those sorts of things that were touched on in the 1988 segments were quite lovely. Only go back to the present of 2006 when you can do some meaningful character work with people who are present in both times. "Revival" should have only been used once, instead of relied upon multiple times. But instead the series wants to be this third-rate "exciting" thriller, and so the effort put into aspects of it ultimately seems like a waste. As you mention, the mystery is pretty simple and not worth emphasizing to the exclusion of all else, let alone having some silly The Fugitive rip-off.

At this rate, it looks like Erased will be Taku Kishimoto's first big dud, which is unfortunate. Hopefully Joker Game will be better.

Yeah I wish the focus on the thriller aspect would have been kept minimal and instead focus a lot more on the characters and Satoru's state of mind.

Jarmel

Banned
The more I think about the framing angle in Erased the more I think it doesn't work on a logistical and mental level.
EuRAVMB.jpg
vZmpyQa.jpg

Wow either that neighbor didn't bother to knock or that door magically opened on its own.
The timeline for Satoru killing his mother is wonky as fuck. The only way it reasonably makes sense is if the killer killed his mother roughly 10 to 15 minutes before Satoru came home and promptly called the cops, thus to frame him. The anime presents this in a different fashion in that Satoru was just leaving the store when his mother was killed. Now the show doesn't bother establishing how far his house is away so I guess it is possible even though a bit improbable. I'm also assuming the murderer didn't call the cops from his cell phone so he must have ran to a public phone, called them and then ran back? 911 calls in the US are always recorded, I have to assume something similar is in place in Japan. All of this doesn't really work if we're talking a time frame of roughly 15-20 minutes. Honestly it doesn't really make sense that the murderer would come back at all but we gotta have dramatic flair. Oh and Satoru never touched the murder weapon. Of course the killer wore gloves so there would have been no prints on the murder weapon. However it also possibly eliminates Satoru due to the time window. He would have had to murder his mother, dispose of the gloves, and then come back. Now if he still had the gloves on him, why would he take them off? If he wanted to stage it as a break-in, why would he call the cops and then run away?
Then we have the reporter. Surely the police interviewed the reporter right? The phone call the mother made to him would have been logged. He would have explained that she was looking into an old case and possibly found a new suspect. Then less than 24 hours later she was murdered. Unless they didn't bother checking her calls and the reporter never brought it up to the police, despite it seemingly being highly relevant to his job as well.
EHCdS28.jpg

How? How? How? My mind is full of fuck.
Why would Satoru send Airi a text from his mother's phone? Was it to avoid potentially turning his phone on (yes I know Airi snapped it but I'm talking about the police perspective)? However they would also be monitoring his mother's phone so that doesn't make any sense. In fact it seems like they did as they suspected Airi. But why would they suspect her of helping? There was literally nothing she could have done to help him murder his mother. Literally nothing as she was at the store when he left and she was presumably nowhere near the crime scene. Not to mention there were apparently people that saw Satoru run into the building after the fire had started, so how the fuck does that make a lick of sense? He tried to silence her but then regretted it and tried to save her life and the risk of his own? wut

A person with presumably no priors goes on a murdering rampage after nearly dying saving a kid last week. Right. There's also basics like a lack of motive. There's no consistency on any of this. For example, Satoru leaves Airi's phone on, yet the police could track him through the GPS. I might have been able to handwave some of this as The World logic but the Airi thing just proves the police in this show are fucking dumbasses.

The more I think about the framing angle in Erased the more I think it doesn't work on a logistical and mental level.
The timeline for Satoru killing his mother is wonky as fuck. The only way it reasonably makes sense is if the killer killed his mother roughly 10 to 15 minutes before Satoru came home and promptly called the cops, thus to frame him. The anime presents this in a different fashion in that Satoru was just leaving the store when his mother was killed. Now the show doesn't bother establishing how far his house is away so I guess it is possible even though a bit improbable. I'm also assuming the murderer didn't call the cops from his cell phone so he must have ran to a public phone, called them and then ran back? 911 calls in the US are always recorded, I have to assume something similar is in place in Japan. All of this doesn't really work if we're talking a time frame of roughly 15-20 minutes. Honestly it doesn't really make sense that the murderer would come back at all but we gotta have dramatic flair. Oh and Satoru never touched the murder weapon. Of course the killer wore gloves so there would have been no prints on the murder weapon. However it also possibly eliminates Satoru due to the time window. He would have had to murder his mother, dispose of the gloves, and then come back. Now if he still had the gloves on him, why would he take them off? If he wanted to stage it as a break-in, why would he call the cops and then run away?

Then we have the reporter. Surely the police interviewed the reporter right? The phone call the mother made to him would have been logged. He would have explained that she was looking into an old case and possibly found a new suspect. Then less than 24 hours later she was murdered. Unless they didn't bother checking her calls and the reporter never brought it up to the police, despite it seemingly being highly relevant to his job as well.

Why would Satoru send Airi a text from his mother's phone? Was it to avoid potentially turning his phone on (yes I know Airi snapped it but I'm talking about the police perspective)? However they would also be monitoring his mother's phone so that doesn't make any sense. In fact it seems like they did as they suspected Airi. But why would they suspect her of helping? There was literally nothing she could have done to help him murder his mother. Literally nothing as she was at the store when he left and she was presumably nowhere near the crime scene. Not to mention there were apparently people that saw Satoru run into the building after the fire had started, so how the fuck does that make a lick of sense? He tried to silence her but then regretted it and tried to save her life and the risk of his own? wut

A person with presumably no priors goes on a murdering rampage after nearly dying saving a kid last week. Right. There's also basics like a lack of motive. There's no consistency on any of this. For example, Satoru leaves Airi's phone on, yet the police could track him through the GPS. I might have been able to handwave some of this as The World logic but the Airi thing just proves the police in this show are fucking dumbasses.

Implying some police in real life aren't stupid either.......

I'm out.

Pointing out logical inconsistencies in Erased is fine and good but its not the thing souring the show for me. I can look past that.

Remind me, when was scissors or tying up in monogatari?

Did you forget the first 5 minutes of Nise

Implying some police in real life aren't stupid either.......

I'm out.

That's a limp excuse because you can handwave anything in a story away with "Well, people are dumb in real life" Its like trying to say Prometheus is fine because sometimes scientists are dumb.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone explain to me the punchline of Kikuhiko's story. Was the guy who was "paralyzed with fear" the one who offered to pay for Osome? And he's fearing revenge?

Mailbox

Welp....need to watch some anime show and not too keen to go back watching GTO (not in the mood right now), look like I will go watch Watamote. Heard interesting impression of the show and want to start going to watch it. This time, I will make an impression of each episode of what I think of the show. Wish me luck gaf.

large.gif

Watamote is good, but its very very hard to watch.

so much so that ii've been watching it for the last year and a half and am only half way. The amount of second hand embarrassment is just ungodly

jgminto

That's a limp excuse because you can handwave anything in a story away with "Well, people are dumb in real life" Its like trying to say Prometheus is fine because sometimes scientists are dumb.
Stupid police were also a problem in Terror in Resonance. The only thing that made the detective a rival for the duo was that every other officer was completely dense.

Squishy3

The killer didn't call the cops, the lady did, then it jump cuts to when the police arrived and she's giving her statement. She screamed and then ran to call them. I imagine response time for a murder case in Japan is relatively fast due to the infrequency of that kind of stuff.

At this point now the police are also definitely biased towards him because he already exhibited suspicious behavior in running as soon as they come up to talk to him.

Haikyuu S2 18

A straightforward court battle that works due to good direction and animation, as well as being the consolidation of much of the work the characters have been doing up to now. Haikyuu's balanced team focus helps it a lot.

The reason I think more episodes might have helped is that I'm assuming there are more details in the manga that could flesh things out and have them make sense. Yes it's a rather big assumption on my part but the show's writing feels so undercooked at times that I have to wonder whether the pacing is to blame in that they need to wrap the story up and can't be bogged down in details.

Also more time spent in the past could have expanded the ensemble cast and actually have time to set up more suspects. Seeing Billy Bob the Janitor lurking around could make things less obvious while also tying into Satoru investigating everybody.

There are some small things which might be better, but I don't think the events of episodes 5-6 are salvageable with more episode time devoted to them. If I were the writer for this show, and the production committee had given me free rein, I would have cut all this out so there was no jumping back and forth between times and expanded 1988 more.

Jarmel

Banned
The killer didn't call the cops, the lady did, then it jump cuts to when the police arrived and she's giving her statement. She screamed and then ran to call them. I imagine response time for a murder case in Japan is relatively fast due to the infrequency of that kind of stuff.

At this point now the police are also definitely biased towards him because he already exhibited suspicious behavior in running as soon as they come up to talk to him.

That's pretty much impossible as presented in the anime. She views him and he starts chasing her to explain. Literally the next cut is her down the stairs explaining to the police and him at the top of the stairs. The police had to have been there already.

The only way your proposition makes sense is if she sees him, he starts chasing and then gives up. He afterwards decides to wait until the police arrive, for however long, and then runs to the bannister overlooking the street when the police finally arrive.

Puruzi

Banned

large.gif

Watamote is very good.

Naruto Shippuden Season 17 Episode 447 & 448

I was expecting them to not put some parts of Naruto v Nagato in this but really, Hinata's part made the cut?! We didn't need that it was a distraction to the whole Sasunaru this AU has got going for it.

Some goods parts were really around Minato's and Kushina's part. She showing up in Naruto to help him get more power and advance to the next Nine Tails mode was emotional and fantastic, I was hoping so much that they wouldnt use it to kill her off. Minato's part for the village was wonderful, Kishimoto could have followed this if he wanted to truly get no casualties for the event in the Hidden Leaf and not have to worry about the implications of the usage of a time based resurrection jutsu.

Good AU.

Cornbread78

Galko-chan ep.4-5
Pretty funny stuff. She's definitely a "shopping" expert. These are perfect as shorts because any longer than the 7 mons and it would be drawn out. Good stuff either way. Oh and older sister is a dirty girl for sure.

JulianImp

Galko #6

It's kind of weird how characters can be completely uninhibited in one scene and get all flustered when talking about a similar topic just a couple scenes later, but it's still one of the more entertaining short shows I've seen as of late.

Gotta agree that it isn't something that can be watched with people randomly walking it, though. It might not get into ludicrous fanservice scenes like Seitokaichou, but the dialogs themselves are lewd enough that they more than make up for the lack of ecchi imagery when it comes down to things that might embarass you if you watched them in public.

John Blade

TGr.png

Man...Tomoko is trying hard to fit in her high school life. Kinda funny and depressing of how much she force herself in the situation she is in. Make me remind myself my high school time.....

Phantom World 6

yIKo2jE.png

Utterly predictable but it was adorable. I'd like to see KyoAni make a childrens book one day. Between the bunny episode and the bear one, they're good at making and illustrating cute and imaginative worlds.

Some great music this episode as well.

Mailbox

Dog and Scissors 10

Not gonna bother talking about the other episodes.

For a little less than half of the episode (9 minutes) I thought this may have been an okay episode. I thought I was going slightly insane at how okay it was.

One of us had to snap: The episode or I.

The episode snapped.
It went insane. I don't even know what happened to be honest. All i could gather was this may have been the most times i was shouting "oh fuck you" at a screen.

This episode started off okay, and became some of the stupidest shit imaginable.

Just T

Assassination Classroom 2nd Season: 6

Pretty good episode. Nice parkour in the beginning, ended with some scolding but still lead to a positive experience. They really did a good job with that makeover, except for the combining of the dentures and the bell lol

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Correct, the problem with the police are created due to Anime cutting several scene from the manga. But, there are several things that are still wonku, present in both manga and anime. It was unfortunate that the director and scriptwriter didn't change later scene to make it more consistent with a change they did in the first episode.
I still like the anime though.

duckroll

Phone GPS? What year do you think it is? They're still using feature phones...

They're not in a big city either so local police will not be super well equipped.

Jarmel

Banned
She's 17. Probably repeating shit she heard or saw on tv.

If they had it in the US, I imagine they had it in Japan. In the US it was mostly in response to 9/11 and so the FCC made a big push for all carriers to have phones with GPS capabilities. So yea she was probably right.

blurr

Just tying clues to a conclusion feels like a straight (and poorly managed) mystery to me. I can't really think of any scenes in the last few episodes that have some kind of gripping intensity, or that really emphasize the danger presented by the antagonist.

I don't really think it's okay for drama and human connection to leave a story. I don't really understand a connection or relation to Satoru to begin with though, and his personality has a tendency to feel as empty as the fronts put on by the Super Sentai heroes he's drawn against. I find Erased to be a mess thematically. Drowning out a train of though about child abuse with lousy stuff about corruption in the government and misplaced guilt is a snoozefest, particularly when Erased doesn't have any strong or distinct thoughts about the latter.

It is a straight mystery if it weren't for the revival aspect, that's where the show gets interesting.

I felt it used 'child abuse' and 'corruption' as elements to progress the story than actual themes. Misplaced guilt felt like mere thoughts as a result of breathing space between tense moments (tense in the show's sense, not necessarily the viewer's).

I could connect more to Satoru when he was young than when he was old but I haven't found him all that empty, just not very expressive but IMO that's alright. I thought the story isn't about Satoru as a character, rather how he saves them and finds the murderer.

So far Satoru as a character has been acting quite rational, he doesn't seem to have a distinct nature of his own, I imagine they are trying to make sure he is as characteristically neutral as possible.

TGr.png

Man...Tomoko is trying hard to fit in her high school life. Kinda funny and depressing of how much she force herself in the situation she is in. Make me remind myself my high school time.....

Terrific show. I have nothing but praise for this.

Oshiete Galko-chan 06

More body facts and shopping. It's like the first time we see Galko-chan in civil clothes. Otako feeling embarrassed about watching adult scenes in movies like she's watching with her parents :p

Also, OP implies that there might be a swimming pool episode.

duckroll

Wow did you just spoil Fight Club?! I was going to watch that tomorrow!

This message was brought to you by the Spoiler Culture Society for Supressing Discussion.

Majin Bone - 11

CbEmYvlW0AAFu8Y.jpg:large
CbEmdKYWEAAQa1Y.jpg:large
CbEmmUGWwAAuRuX.jpg:large

A man was just crushed to death by blue cubes while screaming in agony.

CHILDREN'S CARD GAME ANIME.

thatescalatedquickly.jpg.

This is only episode 11 and suddenly the whole world is being affected by disaster like it would be in another show's endgame. This show is continuing to subvert all my expectations I had for it going in.

Mailbox

Dog & Scissors (END)

BOCimJ9.jpg

She vomits on him

Yeah this series sucks a bunch. Honestly, I don't hate it nearly as much as I did when i only watched the first 2 episodes, but it still in my top 5 most hated.

It felt like this show was written by a grade-schooler who had the slightest inkling of a bad concept and decided to keep adding random crap with a "you know what's cool..." motif.

But in all honestly, this show was exactly what I needed right now. I feel like i'm out of my slump and able to draw, study, and maybe even do a little writing.

There's this weird feeling of relief and self-reflection and motivation that comes from watching really bad anime. Whether it makes me angry, or makes me hate it, or is just plain boring, I'll try my best to finish it.

:)

pbayne

Hajime No Ippo (Season 1) 1-45

Wow is this anime ever good. It hits everything right. Personally I've never watched much sports anime and never thought a show about boxing could be so good. The animation is a bit dated since it aired back in 2000 but the art style is great and still holds up today. The characters are where this show really shines, every new person is unique and interesting. The fights are very intense and it keeps you on the edge not knowing what could happen. So far I'm at 45 and I'm looking forward to watching the rest including the other seasons. I highly recommend it if you don't mind older animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD7IUpQ7EsY

Yo would you believe me if I said it just keeps getting better. It can be a bit hard to find them but don't forget to check out the OVAs between seasons.

Anyways trembling with excitement because Saturadys mean Haikyuu and Nurse Witch Komugi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom