• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Nisemonogatari End

First, jesus the bump in fanservice is ridiculous. I didn't mind it too much but wow.

From what id heard I was expecting this to be a trainwreck. But it simply wasn't. The only major problem I had with it is how little time Tsukihi gets in her own arc and overall. By the end I knew a lot about Karen and almost nothing about Tsuhiki.

The season was less-SHAFTY at times. Like there were entire conversations just in simple camera pans with no real flourish. I dunno it just felt weird or phoned in compared to how lavish the production usually is.

But those are small nitpicks in an otherwise great season. Kiaki steals the show every scene he's in. I need more arcs of him just doing anything. Everything he does, his sinister BGM, his way of looking at the world, he just stands head and shoulders above the other characters for me. Shinbou and Karen were great too, just as I sayed sucks that Tsukihi did't get a little more screentime.

Weird I have no idea where itll go from here. Like they backpedal Senjoughara a lot(man she comes across really bitchy in this arc, though she had reasons) and then Araragi starts saying he really loves Hanekawa, he's just dating Senjoughara. Huh? I dunno if it works that way Araragi.

And that's it. I said with a posed look.

Ascheroth

Nintendoman starting Majin Bone reminded me that I started it but kinda stopped watching because of I don't know why, but should really continue it.

So yeah, my initial plan was to just watch one or two episodes a day, but I ended up binging a whole 17 in 2 days (currently at 34)...

I feel like I kind of should do a proper writeup, because of how freaking enjoyable it is, and especially on the CG and why I think it's so incredibly well done in this show.

For now, though, I'll just leave this soundtrack of pure hype here.

Cornbread78

Unless it's reverse twintails like in Phantom World. That's going too far.

Actually, I've just remembered that Grisaia scene where some character taught Michiru how to... uh... "attack" with her twintails or something? That was kind of funny.

The most notorious twin tails battler:

esLtJD2.gif

I kind of sort of liked Kanon and Clannad, though I have to be in the right mindset to go in.

I finished them both and glad I did. Kiritobread actin' like someone hit him in the nose with a football.:p

I just feel alone fighting a winless battle when it comes to Key and SAO, lol.

kewlmyc

GATE 18

Well, that's one way to completely destroy a peace treaty. We've also caught up with the the manga, so everything from this point out is going to be adapting the LN and/or Web novels directly.

Russ T

Banned
GTO was personally a very influential show. Seriously changed the way I looked at people by the time I finished watching.

Huh, maybe I should give it another shot. I got a few episodes in and I sorta liked it, but the skeevy motherfucker of a main character rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't want to follow a pervert for that long.

But I've seen a lot of generally positive remarks since then.

Heavy Object Episode 18

u2vz1d1l.jpg

(She looks a lot like Uiharu doesn't she?)

So they've cleared up beyond a doubt who the mysterious childhood friend was, and it does seem like the feeling is somewhat mutual between the two ('hate'). Haivia's group suffered a major disaster as well and the two teams regroup in the mines.

Note the most of this is still just the speculation of the characters, but what they suspect is that
the Legitimacy Kingdom is attacking this zone to get a hold of the diamond mines, but at the same time they're being played by the Faith Organization who wants to use them to take out an Anti-war group that's located in the region via collateral damage.

I must say I do like Charlotte's character, she's the appropriate balance of cynicism/pragmatism to not work simply on good faith, but still sympathetic when it calls for it.

"Besieged Wei to rescue Zhao", I wasn't expecting that reference here.

Happy Valentines!

dd3993640e1a1723f1772d7a7814aacf1455295169_full.jpg

blurr

Huh, maybe I should give it another shot. I got a few episodes in and I sorta liked it, but the skeevy motherfucker of a main character rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't want to follow a pervert for that long.

But I've seen a lot of generally positive remarks since then.

Yea the first couple of episodes gave me that impression but damn, later episodes are strong. Learned a lot from Onizuka that really helped me feel better about myself. That being said, it might get ridiculous at times but it's nothing worth missing out on the show.

Russ T

Banned
Yea the first couple of episodes gave me that impression but damn, later episodes are strong. Learned a lot from Onizuka that really helped me feel better about myself. That being said, it might get ridiculous at times but it's nothing worth missing out on the show.

That's some high praise, haha! :D I'll add it back to my queue!

JulianImp

Nisemonogatari End

There's a reason I eventually settled on a Kaiki avatar.

But yeah, it's good to see you liked it. Now go watch Neko (which has fanservice in the form of black Hanekawa), and after that you'll get to Second Season, which is all kinds of awesome IMO.

The most notorious twin tails battler:

I haven't seen whichever show that gif's from, but I don't like that nearly as much as watching Michiru-sama take twintail attack lessons as a joke.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 89

Dragged on a bit by the start with flashbacks that went on for too long, and the absolute pointlessness of the childhood friend, but the episode culminated nicely. It was well executed.
Too bad all the time this happened, all I could think of was how past events in relation to this turned out, and how it'll most likely also influence this. It definitely hampered my overall appreciation of the scene which is a shame.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...olume-to-bundle-new-original-anime-dvd/.98623 (kinda NSFW manga images btw)

The official website for the anime adaptation of OKAYADO's Monster Musume manga announced on Saturday that the 11th compiled volume of the manga will bundle an original anime DVD (OAD). The volume will ship on November 12, 2016 and preorders must be placed before September 19.

The OAD will adapt the manga's chapter 17 from the fourth volume, where Miia, Cerea, Mero, and Kurusu go to the gym's pool.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's weekend again which means my life will be eaten alive by Hunter x Hunter.
Actually the only thing stopping it is my physics exam on monday.

Also is the Chimera ants arc supposed to be this long?
Feels like it's going on forever.

Narag

It's weekend again which means my life will be eaten alive by Hunter x Hunter.
Actually the only thing stopping it is my physics exam on monday.

Also is the Chimera ants arc supposed to be this long?
Feels like it's going on forever.

It's 60 eps and slows to a crawl between 110sh and 130sh. Enjoy.

Narag

Soredemo 10

thatescalatedquickly.jpg

I made a comment on twitter that I'll reiterate here. Concentrating on the more down to Earth stories early on in the show really helped sell the goofy shit taking place in the back half.

Szadek

Assassination Classroom - Ep 4,5
I think the show starts growing on me, might as well keep watching.
The op however didn't, it's one of the few op I skip.

Plastic Memories - Ep 2
You are losing me , anime. I liked the first episode, but this was just generic and boring.
I give the show 1 more chance.

Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound

Bojack1.jpg

The only contribution Goku actually has in the film

Bojack Unbound is probably a better film than it has business being. It's got a really standard setup, that being a galaxy wide tournament getting upstaged by a group of space ginger pirates. But it's what the movie does with that setup that makes it a decent watch.

It gives time to characters that really don't much love in the movies namely Tien, Mr. Satan and Yamcha even if Yamcha is just there to make a fool of himself (again). On top of all that Goku and Vegeta aren't really in this film. Goku's presence is minimal since he's dead (barring one scene) and Vegeta's sits on his ass for most of the film before getting his ass kicked by Bojack. It was a refreshing change not seeing the day get saved by Goku and Vegeta.

The fights are also pretty decent as well with Tien and Trunks' fight being the best part of the film. Animation is also pretty good though the film has this weird thing about giving black-haired characters a blue tint or in some cases entirely blue.

Just a shame the villains have no personality to speak of. They have no depth and after seeing this, I'm convinced that Zangya and her one line of dialogue is only popular because of her physical appearance.

So yeah Bojack's a decent watch. Next up, the Broly sequels....
help me...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Iron blood orphan 18
Not bad. Gjallahorn getting forced to retreat was nice. Char clone sure is quick to reveal himself.
Mika is natural born harem protagonist. This episode pretty much a setup for the next arc, entering earth and turning Kurdelia into a symbol of revolution.

Tom Nook

Currently watching Yuki Yuna is a Hero. Like it so far.

Damn, the series goes to a dark turn at the end of episode 7. o_O

Mailbox

Dog & Scissors 6

Most of this episode wasn't morbid like the rest, though it was still really bad.

That was until they started making light of domestic abuse. This show just keeps getting worse and worse...

jesus christ.

My curiosity has peeked beyond my hatred. How bad can this show get?

brawly

Ace of Diamond S2 - 1-25

4a8d451520ef99f489cd6ecbdb8389e5.gif

I was a bit worried whether the show would keep it's quality in the second season but man, it's been great so far.
It's very rare for me to watch 25 eps of one show in ten days in recent times, but here I am.

Kono Subarashii really is decent it appears. Actually had a few laughs the first 3 episodes and, as others have said, unlike in Grimgar I don't mind all the fanservice here nearly as much.

Narag

Soredemo 12 FIN

I don't know why trucks aren't banned in Japan.

===

As someone that burns out easily on comedy shows, even those I like, this was just a pleasure throughout. It never felt repetitive as the cast was large and varied enough to support different forms of humor. Direction was great too in that it was constantly visually interesting in-between the humor. Great stuff.

Thanks for bullying me into watching this, Mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom