• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin Bone - 12

CbEwh-FXIAA1666.jpg:large
CbEwnYKWIAEJ189.jpg:large

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Mr. Nietzsche in the Convenience Store Episode 4
CbDFsuBW0AEpKO6.png
CbDFsvHWIAAwyMB.png

Someone needs to help Kaede, its like me whenever I see Nii-kun. The receipt moment was the best moment for her since her debut.

Funny other moments in the episode.

I think this and a few other ones Ive watched has live action for these adaptations much better than what an anime could do with them.

A lot of the light slice of life shows that don't require a huge amount of extreme visual gags would work rather well as jdramas. Hana Yori Dango is vastly better as a drama. Itazura Kiss was pretty good. Nodame Cantible was better over on the kdrama side.

Of the recent shows, I think Golden Time would've been vastly better as drama.

Digimon Adventure tri: Reunion:
This is the worst thing to come out of Japan since World War II.

Even absent the complete fuckery this project pulls with the fanbase, it's just a bad product. The animation is lacking, and arguably worse than the 16 year old show produced on a weekly budget was. The backgrounds are 1000x worse than the original show's. And the writing is just sub-fanfiction tier garbage. This show honestly feels like it was just some random otaku-pandering LN garbage that just had a Digimon sheen added onto it at the last minute. The characters bear no resemblance to the actual cast of Digimon Adventure in any way. They just feel like random LN characters that had designs based on the cast of the original. Who thought giving Taichi PTSD over some minor property damage connected at all with his character? To top it all off, we have some new impostor voice actors who don't sound even slightly like the originals. The whole project feels both cynical and callous. Whoever this was made for, it sure wasn't fans of the original Digimon Adventure. The music is terrible, too. Everyone involved in this production aside from Wada Kouji, Ayumi Miyazaki, AiM, and the 8 Digimon voice actors should never be allowed to work on Digimon again.

The only thing stopping this from being the worst thing produced in all of 2015 is the fact that The Force Awakens exists. TTGL can rejoice in the fact that it is no longer the worst anime of all time.

Even absent the complete fuckery this project pulls with the fanbase, it's just a bad product. The animation is lacking, and arguably worse than the 16 year old show produced on a weekly budget was. The backgrounds are 1000x worse than the original show's. And the writing is just sub-fanfiction tier garbage. This show honestly feels like it was just some random otaku-pandering LN garbage that just had a Digimon sheen added onto it at the last minute. The characters bear no resemblance to the actual cast of Digimon Adventure in any way. They just feel like random LN characters that had designs based on the cast of the original. Who thought giving Taichi PTSD over some minor property damage connected at all with his character? To top it all off, we have some new impostor voice actors who don't sound even slightly like the originals. The whole project feels both cynical and callous. Whoever this was made for, it sure wasn't fans of the original Digimon Adventure. The music is terrible, too. Everyone involved in this production aside from Wada Kouji, Ayumi Miyazaki, AiM, and the 8 Digimon voice actors should never be allowed to work on Digimon again.

The only thing stopping this from being the worst thing produced in all of 2015 is the fact that The Force Awakens exists. TTGL can rejoice in the fact that it is no longer the worst anime of all time.

Bruh, you need to eat some bread to balance all dat alcohol.

ibyea

Banned

While I think you exaggerate in some parts and don't care much that they replaced the voice actors, I do agree with the substance of your criticisms. Especially the writing part and the Taichi thing.

duckroll

Gundam Thunderbolt - Episode 2

Goddamn that was dark as fuck. Thunderbolt definitely reminds me of those super edgy "dark" action OVAs from the 80s and 90s that were "mature" and shit, except with less tits and more robots. I love the action, the tight feeling of each episode, and how detailed everything looks. There's also this super oppressive feeling which works for what they're going for. We don't really have to care that much about the characters because they're probably all going to die or be fucked for life anyway, but I think the feeling that "war is shit" is sold pretty well for the short runtime.

Teraoka storyboarded this episode so it's good to see his action choreography isn't going to waste here unlike the IBO episodes he storyboards which don't even have any mecha action these days! Lol. Love the use of the music (even though the songs are kinda bad), and I think the lip sync on the characters in cockpit scenes are more detailed than usual. Cool touches.

Can't wait for ep3 in March. Definitely picking up the blu-ray for this when it's complete.

faridmon

So what is the standout this season?

I am watching Erased (I love it), Haikyuu!!! (Still loving it) and Dimensional W (Hate it, dropped it last week)

I have been told Showa is really good, but anything else?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Man, Marche was SUCH a tit.

Who wouldn't want to live in SRPG world???

Dimension W - 01

As a STEM/Computer Science student, this episode really rustled my jimmies just from the first 5 minutes alone. That's now how fucking dimensions/physics work!

ibyea

Banned
Dimension W - 01

As a STEM/Computer Science student, this episode really rustled my jimmies just from the first 5 minutes alone. That's now how fucking dimensions/physics work!

As a physics major, I just have to actively stop my brain from questioning all the bad physics or I would go insane. I suggest you do the same. XD

Line_HTX

Good thing I held off on watching Dimension W. Seeing the boss of Funimation's name appear on the credits gave me a suspicion it would be on Toonami later.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So what is the standout this season?

I am watching Erased (I love it), Haikyuu!!! (Still loving it) and Dimensional W (Hate it, dropped it last week)

I have been told Showa is really good, but anything else?

Sekko Boys

Greco-Roman stone busts become an idol (yes, it sound and looks ridiculous, but that's part of the charm)

Oshiete Galko-chan

A gal, otaku, and rich girl talking about lewd things.

Dagashi Kashi

Crazy rich girl love cheap snack very much.

Konosuba

A shut in died and reincarnated into a fantasy world, taking a goddess with him. Both of them are horrible person and not exactly heroes material. It's practically a parody of JRPG tropes.

Dimension W - 01

Since it's not pretending to be a science textbook, I don't think there's a problem with having unrealistic "science".

Kiznaiver(Trigger, Okada Mari, 2016 Spring) CM

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3rwpxg
(Since it's Aniplex show so youtube official like won't work for outside of Japan.)

The music is nice.

Don't stop the alcohol if truth if pouring out of you in return!

Nagi no Asukara 1

Fascinating stuff. Is it save to watch? I just wish the main characters were a bit older but oh well.

Main character turns from a character I considered worth dropping the show for to decent in the first 4-5 episodes. So in case you're annoyed by him and wonder if he gets better, he does.

In general there's some rather interesting concepts in this show but all of those come short later on. Okada just can't write characters with actual depth and unfortunately the main narrative goes down the drain too further into the second half.

However, this is one of the few shows where the visuals and soundtrack were so good that I was enjoying myself enough with the few interesting concepts, even if the execution thereof ultimately failed.

Someday I'll have to watch an episode of Nagi no Asukara to try to figure out why some people like its visuals so much. It looks like an average P.A. Works show from what I've seen, along the lines of Tari Tari. Not as ugly as Haruchika, but nowhere near as attractive as Eccentric Family.

jgminto

Someday I'll have to watch an episode of Nagi no Asukara to try to figure out why some people like its visuals so much. It looks like an average P.A. Works show from what I've seen, along the lines of Tari Tari. Not as ugly as Haruchika, but nowhere near as attractive as Eccentric Family.
It's a show with a naturally beautiful setting and well done background art.

I'd rate Eccentric Family above it because that one has great character design (in addition) whereas that's not the case with Nagi no Asukara. But the vibrant color palette, some gorgeous backgrounds and what I recall to be rather high production values really made a good impression. That said, might be that the OST helped out so much in creating the atmosphere that I'm thinking more fondly of the visuals than I should be, not sure.

convo

As a physics major, I just have to actively stop my brain from questioning all the bad physics or I would go insane. I suggest you do the same. XD

Lol i remember in the Giant Robo OVA that also has it's energy problems figured out and taken away and some guy dissed solar power as a terrible source of energy.
I was so mad that these dumbasses could make giant robots and basically the X-men but can't harness the immense power of the sun.

Sandfox

Well this is something lol.

kewlmyc

Should put BBB on Toonami while they're at it. Solid dub.
Blood Blockade Battlefront would probably be a better fit in all honestly. Watched the first few episodes, and while there is action, it feels as if the random ass shots of the android girl are trying to make the series something its not.

Aki-at

Dimension W - 01

How badly fiction warps science is only bothering you now? :p

Blood Blockade Battlefront would probably be a better fit in all honestly. Watched the first few episodes, and while there is action, it feels as if the random ass shots of the android girl are trying to make the series something its not.

Definitely agree, Mira is going to put a lot of people off. Plus I feel Blood Blockade is not just all round better, but a better fit for mainstream consumption with its action scenes and goofy characters.

Music is also top tier and better op/ed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom