• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: 6

Pretty good episode. Yakumo finally found his own style of Rakugo and who he does these performances for. I liked how they painted the image of his performance too. And that was an interesting reaction from Miyokichi.

Just check the recent pre-order chart of winter season.
Find out only Konosuba have chance to sold 10k+ average, all other shows seems...well, going to sell lower than 5k average.
So Konosuba is the only hope to save face of this winter, because if Knosuba can't break 10k, the trend of "every season's top seller able to sell more than 10k average" since 2007 spring will stop in this season, so hope Konosuba last 5 episode can keep it up, please don't fall down!

*btw don't try to check how will Erased BD/DVD going to sell, just enjoy the show.

Norn 9 Episode 5 & 6

The fairy tales using each of the main girls was funny for the relationships. Theres a love triangle which was a bit sad since she fell for the wrong dude due to the illusion.

I hope the perpetrator gets found, ready for it to resolve already.

How badly fiction warps science is only bothering you now? :p

Haha, don't get me wrong, I can suspend my disbelief for alot of shit and enjoy it, but that's because the psuedo-science or bending of reality is fantastical or not elaborated on as much.

The first episode of Dimension W shows an XYZ graph then tells me on the very same Z (or Y, can't remember) axis the opposite linear direction is declared as "W". Graphs don't work like that, you're still on the same damn axis!

Edit: Just rewatched the scene, it was the X axis whose opposite linear direction was labeled W, it's still on the damn X axis!

Szadek

Haha, don't get me wrong, I can suspend my disbelief for alot of shit and enjoy it, but that's because the psuedo-science or bending of reality is fantastical or not elaborated on as much.

The first episode of Dimension W shows an XYZ graph then tells me on the very same Z (or Y, can't remember) axis the opposite linear direction is declared as "W". Graphs don't work like that, you're still on the same damn axis!

Edit: Just rewatched the scene, it was the X axis whose opposite linear direction was labeled W, it's still on the damn X axis!
To be fair, the W axis is impossible to visualise.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Hi guys, I have a week off school and I've been looking for someone new to binge. Probably a pretty chill drama or action series, and probably something that didn't just start so I'll at least have a few episodes to watch.

What I don't like: fanservice, moe bullshit, bad romance.
What I do like: good characters (preferably with development), good animation.

Shows I liked in recent seasons:
- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Bakemonogatari (first season only)
- Tatami Galaxy

Shows I liked in general:
- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Bakemonogatari (after first season)
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

Yeah, I don't like TTGL, but I wouldn't throw around something ridiculous like "worst anime ever" about it!

Well, I probably wouldn't either if I was really given truth serum about it.

I just really didn't like the show, and I tend to sometimes get rather extreme with my opinions on certain things. I think it's probably more fair to say that I had a more negative personal reaction to the show than I did almost anything else (aside from tri), not that it's actually the worst anime. (Similarly, I can recognize that Man of Steel probably isn't actually the worst movie of all time, but if someone was to ask me what movie I hated more than anything else it would probably be the first thing I said)

Narag

Hi guys, I have a week off school and I've been looking for someone new to binge. Probably a pretty chill drama or action series, and probably something that didn't just start so I'll at least have a few episodes to watch.

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

Ping Pong?

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

I mean you've likely have seen it, but if you haven't get some Berserk in you.

Order of ways to consume it:

Manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>movies>>>>>>>tv because tv show is poopy action scenes

phaze

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

Katanagatari ? It's from the writer of Bake so it's very talky but the short bursts of action are good/great, plenty of character development not sure how you'll feel about the romance. You seem fairly well versed but maybe you missed Fate/Zero ? Which if you did, would be my first rec. Other than that maybe, Kyousougiga or Mawaru Penguindrum (warning for small doses of fanservice) ?

Edit: On the other hand, I'm not sure if any of those would count as "chill".

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 fits the bill. 26 episodes and a movie. All complete. Nothing left hanging except the fact that they're making a new series which will be out sometime in the future.

I would also recommend Garo the Animation (not Garo Crimson Moon) if you're looking for dark fantasy action adventure. The animation is rather spotty in the first 10 or so episodes, but there's some great stuff along the way and later on.

Szadek

Yeah, I don't like TTGL, but I wouldn't throw around something ridiculous like "worst anime ever" about it!
All I can think when I see post and comments like this is " oh that's cute".
I mean, there are shows I really hate, but I wouldn't call them worst anime ever, because I know that crap like Ninja Resurrection exists.

Qurupeke

It's recent and with with not many episodes, but maybe you'll enjoy Death Parade. Drama with nice characters and good animation.

You want great characters then give Hyouka and Nana a try.

Also, did you watch and not enjoy Monogatari Second Season either? Nise and Neko I can certainly understand but this would seem odd if you liked Bake.

Narag

Shashinkan
YCKTb1ol.jpg

As good as advertised by everyone in here.

duckroll

I would have thought Gargantia would pose problems for someone who hates "moe" and fanservice, but there it is.

That's not really the same. Gargantia has a lot of fanservice but it still keeps up appreances of being about a scifi setting with robots, pirates, aliens, etc. There's a stronger dramatic element that softens the cutegirlsbeingcute thing which doesn't happen that much anyway.

Hyouka and Shirobako are good shows with the moe on the forefront. I think a good comparison would be Madoka.

Cornbread78

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

Blast of Tempest
Kyousougiga
Eccentric Family
Clannad

I think shows like Hyouka and Shirobako are a hard sell if someone literally hates moe stuff.

Unlike, say, K-On, Hyouka doesn't try to force some moe-ish nature into most scenes. It's actually quite reserved in that regards. If you really have absolutely no tolerance fore this kind of character design and minor moe antics then...nah, even then you can stomach that if you get such a good show with it.

duckroll

Unlike, say, K-On, Hyouka doesn't try to force some moe-ish nature into most scenes. It's actually quite reserved in that regards. If you really have absolutely no tolerance fore this kind of character design and minor moe antics then...nah, even then you can stomach that if you get such a good show with it.

Too bad the first 9 episodes are boring and inane enough to put most people off!

*rubs hands together* Oh boy, do I have some shows for you! First there's-

What I don't like: fanservice

...I'll see myself out.

Also, Hyouka is decidedly un-moeshit. As someone who has a pretty big intolerance for that kind of direction or aesthetic appeal, Hyouka set off literally 0 problems for me. Mostly because it was just such a good show, but the visuals and direction of characters never even once strayed into that territory for me. I wasn't even aware that was a general belief?

That's not really the same. Gargantia has a lot of fanservice but it still keeps up appreances of being about a scifi setting with robots, pirates, aliens, etc. There's a stronger dramatic element that softens the cutegirlsbeingcute thing which doesn't happen that much anyway.

Hyouka and Shirobako are good shows with the moe on the forefront. I think a good comparison would be Madoka.

Sure, I can see how Gargantia has enough stuff to prevent people who are allergic to cute girls from being turned off.

Too bad the first 9 episodes are boring and inane enough to put most people off!

Boo. (The only really boring and inane episode is 11.5!)

sonicmj1

Ping Pong
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Gundam Build Fighters (not Try)
Flowers of Evil
Mushishi
The Eccentric Family
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
Fate/Zero

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

M3

Divine Gate Episode 5 & 6

Divine Gate is so awesome, Arthur friend is Santa Claus and no one wanted to believe he is real except he really is.

I cant wait to see what is there at the gate and whose wish will truly be granted.

5 had great training though.
tumblr_o23427CWfj1rfp5pbo7_540.png
tumblr_o23427CWfj1rfp5pbo1_540.png

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

- Death Parade and Death Billiards (watch Death Billiards first)
- Space Brothers
- Moyashimon
- Mononoke
- Gundam Build Fighters
- Log Horizon
- Kyousougiga

pbayne

- One Punch Man
- Suisei no Gargantia
- Barakamon
- Tatami Galaxy

- Planetes
- Welcome to the NHK
- Hikaru No Go
- Vinland Saga (manga)

Shows I hate:
- Sword Art Online
- Your favourite series

Genshiken
Usagi Drop
Steins; Gate
Haikyuu
And people mentioned Nana and Berserk(thought the animation is a little dated on the later)

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I think shows like Hyouka and Shirobako are a hard sell if someone literally hates moe stuff.

I've tried them both and stopped after the first two episodes or so, I cannot remember exactly the reasons but I remember being pretty resolute.

You're right about Gargantia having some "cute girls"/fanservice crap, but it's mostly in the middle of the show, and by that time I was invested in it and very intrigued by the storyline and the fish-out-of-water aspect.

I've tried some of the other recommendations, most of which I didn't like (Genshiken, Log Horizon, Moyashimon, Mushishi, and Steins;Gate which I did kinda like). I'm going to try "The Eccentric Family" and "Kyosogiga" as they seemed the most interesting.

Looking at synopsis I think I'll actually probably prefer something that's more realistic / slice-of-life than a fantasy.

Jintor

Hyouka I don't think really hits the moe stuff so directly, or perhaps to put it another way it's kind of oversaturated instead by the weird ponderous weightiness that KyoAni put into it (I like it, needless to say, but still)

Shirobako is... I would probably say actually straight up disadvantaged by its somewhat generic character design for characters that aren't direct rips of actual humans

It's a pity you don't like them, but it is what it is

I've tried them both and stopped after the first two episodes or so, I cannot remember exactly the reasons but I remember being pretty resolute.

You're right about Gargantia having some "cute girls"/fanservice crap, but it's mostly in the middle of the show, and by that time I was invested in it and very intrigued by the storyline and the fish-out-of-water aspect.

I've tried some of the other recommendations, most of which I didn't like (Genshiken, Log Horizon, Moyashimon, Mushishi, and Steins;Gate which I did kinda like). I'm going to try "The Eccentric Family" and "Kyosogiga" as they seemed the most interesting.

Looking at synopsis I think I'll actually probably prefer something that's more realistic / slice-of-life than a fantasy.

Silver Spoon?

Try:

Anne of Green Gables
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Master Keaton
Miss Hokusai
Mouryou no Hako (not totally "chill")
Saint Young Men
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (currently ongoing, but keep on your eye on it)
Silver Spoon

Hyouka I don't think really hits the moe stuff so directly, or perhaps to put it another way it's kind of oversaturated instead by the weird ponderous weightiness that KyoAni put into it (I like it, needless to say, but still)

Shirobako is... I would probably say actually straight up disadvantaged by its somewhat generic character design for characters that aren't direct rips of actual humans

It's a pity you don't like them, but it is what it is

Yup. Most of the male characters don't share the same cutesy look and are better for it.

Aki-at

Nah I agree I thought the same thing when that was pointed out.

Reminds me of the X-Men intro or something with Xavier saying every million years evolution just takes a huge leap and SUPERPOWERS.

faridmon

Sekko Boys

Greco-Roman stone busts become an idol (yes, it sound and looks ridiculous, but that's part of the charm)

Oshiete Galko-chan

A gal, otaku, and rich girl talking about lewd things.

Dagashi Kashi

Crazy rich girl love cheap snack very much.

Konosuba

A shut in died and reincarnated into a fantasy world, taking a goddess with him. Both of them are horrible person and not exactly heroes material. It's practically a parody of JRPG tropes.

Will check all of above. Cheers!

Hacka Doll 4

I'm sure there's a punchline at the end, but I simply can't sit through all these "hot girl falls into otaku's lap" cliches. When milk spilled on her, that was too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom