• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Galko-chan 1

This seems like something of a curry over-reaction.

Also I wonder what's lewder, this or SYD

the inherent humour of a gal-looking girl basically being a huge nerd is kind of funny? probably will wear thin real fast though
haly summed it up well: Its cute girls being crass.

Always funny. Also helps that Galko is innocent and easily embarrassed.

Mailbox

Galko-chan 1

This seems like something of a curry over-reaction.

Also I wonder what's lewder, this or SYD

the inherent humour of a gal-looking girl basically being a huge nerd is kind of funny? probably will wear thin real fast though

I really don't think its comparable. SYD is its own category of lewd comedy.

Until galko-chan starts talking about dildos, boners, and chastity belts every 3 seconds, i don't think it will be close.

But... that would be interesting if that's the direction it took...

(New avatar time! god, i was so tired of my old one)

brawly

Your Lie in April - 3

I really wish the show wouldn't be so rampant with the way it goes from comedic to super dramatic in a split-second.

In one moment, you've got the usual anime silliness, but in a matter of seconds you've got some genuinely well-directed serious drama. It all doesn't flow all together that well, and the tone of the show kind of flies all over the place as a result.

It's disappointing, because I honestly kind of like the story that's being told here. I just really wish the execution was better. I hope the later episodes end up improving on it.

Not really happening unfortunately. I also thought it had way too little music and it has a bit of a dumb cliche reveal towards the end from what I remember.

I vastly prefer Nodame Cantabile.

phaze

Strike Witches: The Movie

V1nbG7G.png

Too high a score.

Is Eureka Seven bad, or not? I've seen some people here loving it and others hating it, so I'm not sure. I think I'll probably start watching this the next month and when I'm done with a couple of other shows.

Also, what about Usagi Drop? This one is short so it's not like it will be a loss of time in any case though.

E7 is really bad, characters make senseless decisions, the writing is all over the place, the main love interest is really annoying too.

I agree with DTL.
---

There are clearly lots of people who enjoyed this but based on my personal experience, I can only advise heavily against it. Don't be afraid to drop it if you don't find it to your liking, it's a large and dreadfully paced time sink and I dare say that this time would be better invested watching better and shorter shows,
Okay, sounds like I'll give E7 a try. I don't expect it to be as enjoyable as Code Geass but I hope it will worth it for 50 episodes. Also, the feedback seems a lot more positive than I expected. Only DTL seems to hate it with a passion so far.

I know that at least cosmicblizzard, NaDannMaGoGo (and me) do too.

Fantastic Children 1-2

Three and a half years after the first time I watched these two episodes, finally back to this. Definitely going to push through to the end this time. The deliberate atmosphere being created here is really great; the scene with the Children in the library/underground in episode 2 is superbly done.

Been watching that too for a while, though, with mixed feelings so far.

Mailbox

Usagi Drop is amazing so long as you don't read the manga after the anime.

I need to watch Eureka 7. I remember watching an episode or 2 on tv late at night when i was quite young and only recently did i find out what it was called.

Jintor

I really don't think its comparable. SYD is its own category of lewd comedy.

Until galko-chan starts talking about dildos, boners, and chastity belts every 3 seconds, i don't think it will be close.

That's true, this mostly seems to be like "What would come up in a crude high school classroom" as opposed to SYD's "What if all the girls apart from suzu were simultaneously pure yet completely obsessed with sex"

Mailbox

That's true, this mostly seems to be like "What would come up in a crude high school classroom" as opposed to SYD's "What if all the girls apart from suzu were simultaneously pure yet completely obsessed with sex"

Yeah, their both somewhat opposites on the spectrum of lewd comedy but both work really well.

I've enjoyed my time with both quite a bit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 185:

Ah and I see we are back to formula as Sailor Moon is now transposed into being a cheesy and boring after school special and that is about it.

Ascheroth

Wouldn't somehow make everyone more competent, so not really.

Grimgar 6

This walking animation. I can't even.

Them being incompetent is the best thing about Grimgar.

Haha, I was so distracted by this sequence I don't even remember what was being said there. It's the legs.

I'm halfway through the episode and he's still irritating as fuck and doing stupid shit like making fun of the redhair girl for having no breasts.

Yeah, Ranta is the worst. His naniiiiiiiii was funny, but this scene was completely unnecessary, urgh.
I mean in any random LN show I'd just roll my eyes and move on, but Grimgar manages to somehow magnify it into something that actively reduces my enjoyment.

I'm with hosanna here, in that one problem is that Ranta is the only character with a strong personality in the cast with no one to counterbalance him, so all of his 'outbursts' are immediately moved into the focus.
The other problem being that the rest of the setting, writing, characters and atmosphere completely clash with him too.

Just T

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu: 6

Good episode, Mikado and those demeanor switches.

Bubuki Buranki: 6

Wow Shizuru's fight was dope. Who knew she had those skills. But man it feels like they are trying to do so much at once.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Silver Spoon - Seasons 1 & 2
So with the time off school I spent the last couple of days mostly binge-watching the two seasons.

First off, I liked it. I could relate to the story at times due to the time I spent in the army (early mornings, camaraderie..), and time spent working with animals - and nostalgia is a powerful drug. I also enjoyed how they had many characters and it's not like "everything always happens to the same three people", you get different things with different people. I like Hachiken's character in that he's far from perfect, and even though he's super-helpful he's not worshipped or anything (in a shounen show they always have that scene where everyone acknowledges the protagonist and go "he's so amazing" - and there's nothing like that here, though he is appreciated).

Aside from that rich girl there are no real annoying characters (didn't find her funny), and I don't think it suffered from having no real antagonist.

I enjoyed the stories that generally went nowhere, but I would have liked more "drama" or at least more details into more characters (other than Hachi, Aki and Ichiro), I sorta thought it was gonna be this show that has random day-in-the-limelight for each character and it was a shame it didn't come. I liked how they handled the Ichiro story, though.

Overall enjoyable. The last episode where Hachi remarked that most aren't going to stay in the dorms anymore hit me a lot harder because I've had to suffer that transition in both the army and in school-- and boy, does it make a huge difference. You go from a family to a company.

But the real part that hit me hard is "The End". What the hell!? Does the manga continue afterwards? Can I just keep reading that? No chance of another season?

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Seasons 1 & 2

But the real part that hit me hard is "The End". What the hell!? Does the manga continue afterwards? Can I just keep reading that? No chance of another season?

The manga continues and is still running but the author has a sick family member to take care of so it is now on an irregular schedule with a lot of delays. It's on the final story arc now though.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
The manga continues and is still running but the author has a sick family member to take care of so it is now on an irregular schedule with a lot of delays. It's on the final story arc now though.

Does it improve on the things I mentioned? Do I need to reread the first parts (are there changes in the anime)?

Also, I imagine it does the thing anime/manga does and only have the protagonist and the girl hooking up in the last episode (which is super annoying)?

blurr

I saw one episode of SYD, one of the few shows I dropped. Too much for me. I seem to enjoy Galko-chan a lot though, I'm assuming it's because the girls aren't *entirely* shameless about it, it's fun to see their embarrassing reactions.

phaze

Godtier direction. The consensus here is that it's great.

What's the consensus here on Aku no Hana? Besides the garbage animation.

huh ? Rotoscoping had its faults, lack of detail on faces when characters were in the distance for one, but it still looked good.

Just know that it's a manga ad and the story is unfinished.

I think it more has to do with their quality dips due to outsourcing.

Having dips in quality due to outsourcing is a very common occurrence in anime, hardly limited to A-1.

Yeah, Ranta is the worst. His naniiiiiiiii was funny, but this scene was completely unnecessary, urgh.
I mean in any random LN show I'd just roll my eyes and move on, but Grimgar manages to somehow magnify it into something that actively reduces my enjoyment.

I'm with hosanna here, in that one problem is that Ranta is the only character with a strong personality in the cast with no one to counterbalance him, so all of his 'outbursts' are immediately moved into the focus.
The other problem being that the rest of the setting, writing, characters and atmosphere completely clash with him too.

The thing with Grimgar is that much of the presentation is going for a low-key, somewhat realistic vibe. You can even hear this with the voice acting; Haruhito's acting is so subdued it reminds me of adult Satoru's voice acting in Erased. But then Ranta is Hiroyuki Yoshino hamming it up as usual, and everything about the character feels like he was pulled from a more cliche LN adaptation, and he forcibly drags the show into that territory every time he's on screen. The music as well often feels much more generic rock/pop than is appropriate for the rest of the show.

Actually, watching Grimgar has made me feel bad for Ryosuke Nakamura, as he seems to have a clear idea of what he'd like to turn this series into but feels hamstrung by the nature of both the source material and executive mandates such as Aniplex wanting to use the show as a promotional vehicle for [K]NoW_NAME.

What's the consensus here on Aku no Hana? Besides the garbage animation.

Flowers of Evil is excellent; a truly incredible work which often uses its rotoscoping highly effectively.

Flowers of Evil is so mindblowingly awful to look at that I refuse to give it a chance. You can call it an amazing artistic style all you want but it seems clear to me that it is an acquired taste otherwise you'd see it a lot more often.

And no that isn't artistic ignorance speaking it is me speaking as a person who watches anime in large part because I like the visuals. If I find the visuals extremely unappealing I'm not going to give anything else about the show a fair shot.

Just T

Dimension W: 6

Pretty chill episode for the most part. Some more teases on Kyouma's backstory, I was thinking Miyabi was his wife or something but after that last scene I'm not so sure anymore.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Flowers of Evil draws back the curtain and reveals that Japan is perhaps not the mystical place full of beautiful people your anime may have lead you to believe.

The weeaboo's nightmare.

Jintor

Flowers of Evil draws back the curtain and reveals that Japan is perhaps not the mystical place full of beautiful people your anime may have lead you to believe.

The weeaboo's nightmare.

People still advise me to use a fax machine sometimes if I need to get a document from one place to another

A fax machine!

Japan is a lie! It's all liessssss! A lieeeeeeeeeee

sonicmj1

Flowers of Evil is so mindblowingly awful to look at that I refuse to give it a chance. You can call it an amazing artistic style all you want but it seems clear to me that it is an acquired taste otherwise you'd see it a lot more often.

And no that isn't artistic ignorance speaking it is me speaking as a person who watches anime in large part because I like the visuals. If I find the visuals extremely unappealing I'm not going to give anything else about the show a fair shot.

Besides making people upset that their show doesn't look just like the source comics, the main reason rotoscoping doesn't get used in anime is that it's expensive. You have to budget for actors and film shoots on top of all the animation you're already doing. It's hard to make that work at the cut-rate budgets most anime get produced at.

It's pretty miraculous that Flowers of Evil was produced at all, given all that.

JulianImp

I've got to agree that I just don't like Aku no Hana's art style, but have been meaning to give it more of a chance sometime. Eventually.

Watched two more episodes of Rabukome yesterday, and it still looks fairly solid despite the fairly obvious development of the MC having rescued the orange-haired girl's dog, but somehow not remembering that at all (it was really obvious ever since his little sister talked about the accident). The snarky and disgustingly honest leads work fairly well with each other, but I feel like the rest of the cast isn't all that interesting, as in they don't offer that much to the character interactions since their whole thing is being a crazy otaku guy, a girlish bishie shota and the cutesy, one-sided childhood crush.

Also, what's with aloof big sisters that get kinda touchy-feely around MCs? I get that it's played for comedy, but I'm really hoping Yuki's sister amounts to something more than this.

Rotoscoping an entire production isn't something anime studios are normally equipped to handle. It's incredible that Nagahama got ZEXCS to agree to doing it.

I'm sorry you'll never get to experience the
classroom destruction
sequence which is one of the best looking scenes in anime.

Flowers of Evil starts out great and is deliciously uncomfortable. And that builds and builds until one specific moment where all that discomfort goes away and the rest of the show is just kind of teenage angsty nonsense.

duckroll

Does it improve on the things I mentioned? Do I need to reread the first parts (are there changes in the anime)?

Also, I imagine it does the thing anime/manga does and only have the protagonist and the girl hooking up in the last episode (which is super annoying)?

The manga is pretty similar to the anime, I think there were some changes here and there but for the most part the adaptation was pretty faithful. Hachiken actually gets a lot more pro-active about things after the end point of the anime, and there's a pretty clear goal set for the endgame.

Grimgar 06

The novelty behind Ranta's personality has grown old, and as mean as this may sound I'm waiting for him to screw up and learn that his cockiness is totally obnoxious. The way he jumped at Haruhiro too simply because of that misunderstanding was just nosy and super annoying. It would be nice if we saw him grow as a character. You can be funny without being an ass.

On the other hand we have Haruhiro, which has taken the reigns as the Leader in this party and has also started to notice the little things around him such as how his companions fight, and how he can maximize their potential. He's no full fledged leader, but after the scene in which we see him talking to Manato in the camp fire (which was all in his head) we see him become more levelheaded and attempt to communicate with Mary in a more confident way, seeing how after thanking her which surprised her, he left the exchange at that.

Mary is also an interesting character with a tragic background, one similar to Manato in which his own powers turned against him because he took them for granted. She is beginning to open up to the party but it may just take another episode for her to be fully integrated.

So yeah. I'm loving the show so far, I usually don't write this much for my episode impressions lol.

Russ T

Banned
toned down as in he isn't just being a sexist pig to women the whole time. The show has bigger fish to fry at the moment than to focus on him.

All right, I'll believe you! :D

I'll pick it back up some time this week. I really, really want the show to be good. I think it has so much potential.

But I realize I'm being an annoying broken record at this point so maybe I should just shut up about it, haha. D: D:

Flowers of Evil starts out great and is deliciously uncomfortable. And that builds and builds until one specific moment where all that discomfort goes away and the rest of the show is just kind of teenage angsty nonsense.

I think I know the moment you're talking about and I suppose I can see why you'd think that way, but I don't really agree! Well, maybe I do agree, but I think teenage angst is a real thing, and this show captures it better than any other anime I've seen to date. Maybe better than any other work of fiction. It is definitely over the top, but it's to the series' benefit, rather than detriment.

It only got more and more uncomfortable for me. Even that rapid future-dream sequence-thing near the end just floored me with how shitty things were going to get for these people. And how fucked up this guy is.

I would love to see the anime continue with the exact same production style. Suppose I should just read the manga...

How can Renta redeem himself. He's not a well written jackass, he's straight out some trash harem LN pervert. Not for one episode or two. For 6 straight ones. In episode 2 after their first real fight they had the chance to give him some proper development and it almost seemed to go that direction but nothing came of it.

Besides, Renta merely encompasses what's wrong with the show. Even if he were entirely removed entirely now that wouldn't save Grimgar for me.

TUSR

Banned
Flowers of Evil never interested me because of the rotoscoping.

There was a rotoscoped scene in the iDOLM@STER movie too iirc. Looks janky as hell.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Grimgar 6
Oh, we finally get proper opening. Not that the opening is great, but at least it's better than reusing scene from the episode and applied rainbow filter over it.
Even Mozuso getting real tired of Ranta. Ranta still SUUUUUUCKS!
Anyway, the animation really took a hit on this one. Dem walking animation is pretty much worse than symphogear walking scene. Symphogear at least try to hide it by not showing the legs...
Mary backstory was interesting, and i think the next episode is going to be their big moments.

blurr

Dimension W 06

Episode about a kid robot who also happens to be a weeaboo and Kyouma is clearly a tsunDEREDEREDERE.

At this point I'm only watching it for Mira. Barely even amused by the rest of what the episode had to offer.

I liked the last couple of episodes but only because they went the horror route. I'm gonna triple check on shows I pick next season. Also, wait until 3 episodes are out.

Yeah, Dimension W has a lot of issues that get in the way of a genuinely interesting world and characters. It's like someone handed them LEGOs made out of gold and they made a lopsided car that can only do doughnuts until it runs into a wall. It still is interesting enough to get my watch (and read, because to be honest the manga gives the storylines actual time to breathe and develop instead of cramming like 12 chapters into 2 episodes). A safe bet for people who hate disappointment is to do what I do and watch the first episode and at the very first sign that something isn't executed immaculately, drop the show and delete the file then throw your computer out to get rid of the taint. It's the smartest decision. On an unrelated note, I may have to pause my anime watching because I'm running out of money for new computers.

Where's the entertainment level coming from a Galko-chan though? For a lot of shows or styles of anime I may not particularly care for them but I understand the appeal for others like a Euphonium or Non non Biyori, but I feel like there's just something about Galko I just am not understanding why anyone would find it funny or entertaining.

Dimension W 06

Episode about a kid robot who also happens to be a weeaboo and Kyouma is clearly a tsunDEREDEREDERE.

At this point I'm only watching it for Mira. Barely even amused by the rest of what the episode had to offer.

I liked the last couple of episodes but only because they went the horror route. I'm gonna triple check on shows I pick next season. Also, wait until 3 episodes are out.

If you only want to watch shows you will be happy with in the end, you should wait to watch anything until it finishes. Even after 3 episodes, critical opinion can change dramatically (see Erased). Even then you can't totally avoid disappointment, as other people may recommend something that you find poor (Soma for me). In the end, the only thing you can do is either not watch anything or be prepared for your expectations to possibly not be met.

blurr

A safe bet for people who hate disappointment is to do what I do and watch the first episode and at the very first sign that something isn't executed immaculately, drop the show and delete the file then throw your computer out to get rid of the taint. It's the smartest decision. On an unrelated note, I may have to pause my anime watching because I'm running out of money for new computers.

damn straight

I started after someone recommended, had low expectations but it was at a *passable* level so I thought it would have *something* interesting later on so I kept watching. Also, I am obsessed with maintaining a short dropped list on MAL. Send help.

Where's the entertainment level coming from a Galko-chan though? For a lot of shows or styles of anime I may not particularly care for them but I understand the appeal for others like a Euphonium or Non non Biyori, but I feel like there's just something about Galko I just am not understanding why anyone would find it funny or entertaining.

Hmm yea, I can't really put my finger on it. The characters are charming and their reactions are pretty funny.

I'll be frank:

Galko is appealing cause it is a show about an attractive, big boobed, slightly plump girl who is pure at heart and is easily embarrassed by the sexually crass questions her flat chested montone friend asks her along with some quips by their airheaded and rich third wheel friend. The three of them are charming in their own unique ways. Not to mention there's a lot of fanservice that isn't just those low tier panty shots like most LN adaptations. Example those scenes when Galko mentions spicy food making your ass hurt then they had those shots of her sitting down where you can't really tell if she was wearing any panties or the scenes with Galko at home with her sister.

Qurupeke

Yup, I also watch Dimension W just for Mira now. For an action anime, it surely doesn't have a lot of spectacular action. I'd say that episode 1-2 are still the best part of it and they weren't even that good.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 6

Ichikojan is an interesting team though their relationer is the worst, why he have to be so rotten to Yuri. Shishibara would be best one followed by Yuri.

The race was actually really exciting especially with the gimmicks. Kuga was awesome as well as the part when Kadowaki was actually running. He gets so into it, then Hozumi as usual with the emotions of Kadowaki with him can do anything.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 1 (engDub)

Good cast, I think Heath initially gave me some feelings that a better voice could have been chosen but he isnt bad. I think Kadowaki voice is doing well.

I always like dubs for at least doing the background characters voices, sometimes the subs dont usually translate everything people are saying in the background (random dude asking why would anyone join a running club, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom