• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Everytime she adds 'nyaa' to the end of a sentence one of my brain cells dies.

Same here, especially when they do stuff such as changing "nan" into "nyan da".
Except for Black Hanekawa, because I'm biased as hell towards Monogatari.

Then there's "cutesy speak" that uses "nano desu" everywhere, a trait I associate the most with Rika Furude from Higurashi, but now that I think about it the MC's little sister from Charlotte also did it and it was even more infuriating there. I think Makina Kirishina from Grisaia also did something kind of like this, and that I also found it kind of vexing (but nowere near as badly as in Charlotte).

Grimgar 6

First episode I wasn't screaming in my head for the guys to put some logic, at least Haru is starting to think like a human being and started to put thought into how to make the party more effective. He'll be a solid leader.

Everytime she adds 'nyaa' to the end of a sentence one of my brain cells dies.

At the end you're just wondering why she was even a character of 'importance' to begin with. But then that's true for at least a third of a cast and it makes more sense if you keep in mind that the anime attempts to integrate several paths of a VN...to a fault.

e:

Speaking of 'nyaa' though, I'm currently watching Gintama #34 and that features some catgirl (that setting with the Amantos really allows you to pull whatever you want, clever) and it's one of the funnier episodes. Admittedly, not because of that girl but rather the internet antics.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Episode 5 & 6

Ranta wanting all of the details on Haruhiro was the best and he was wanting it in so much detail. When he gets his mouth moving he really keeps it up and at fast speed too, especially when it involves Haruhiro. Its one of the best parts of his character. Additionally his high confidence in himself post battle.

I like how Haruhiro has gotten used to him though and always comments.
CbN650VXIAAypWz.png
CbN65vWWAAUBnBl.png

I hope we move on to stronger foes, I just want to see how they handle a midboss or similar character before the anime ends.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.12
I knew it! FUCK you SERN, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU. Stupid fucking
Shining Finger was the traitor bitch and she killed Mayuri. Fuck her.
I knew it was coming, but I'm still pissed. Uugghh.

I doubt they'll move past the goblins before the anime ends. They can now fight them more effectively but the implication they can't learn new attacks without learning them from someone is hilarious so I guess until they can purchase more skills and fight multiple goblins at a time it won't go anywhere.

Like what, he can't think that stabbing someone in the back would be useful before purchasing 'backstab'? lol

Wouldn't somehow make everyone more competent, so not really.

Nah, the cast being bad fighters isn't a problem. That's actually a strong point for the series, that it focuses on characters who aren't Awesome at Everything. My main beef with Ranta is that his unpleasant personality stands out so strongly compared to everyone else; there needs to be at least one other person with a strong enough presence to counterbalance him. It's especially a problem for the two female characters, who get reduced by his lechery to sex objects.

Grimgar 6

This walking animation. I can't even.

Outsourced episode (to A-Line).

dan2026

Honestly Steins Gate feels like half a good series.
Half the characters and plots are quite good.
And the other half you want to beat to death with a shovel.

Erased 6

outside of the scene with the red eyes and 5 seconds later 'oh hi friend', it was a solid episode. Not the same as the past episodes mind you, but solid nonetheless. Still a solid contender for AOTS. And hey
the butterfly appeared at the end
which means another
time jump

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.13
WTF, this is some "they killed Kenny" shit right here; not cool at all. There has to be a way out of this time loop, think Okarin, think ya stupid mad scientist.

I'm waiting for Dimension W to start on Toonami in two weeks, but I'm wondering what makes it bad for those that dropped it?

I wouldn't call it downright bad, it's just been mediocre. The first episode gave me hopes that the show would be something else, but with the bigger presence of the cat girl, and the forgettable 'arcs' so far I'm already too far in and finding myself skipping through episodes in hopes it gets better.

Fantastic Children 3

I thought the Children were immortal, but instead it looks like they're in a reincarnation cycle.

I continue to appreciate what the show does with light and shadow. Both the tunnel scene and the scene with the people searching for the escaped criminals made really good use of them.

Paltheos

Gundam IBO 17 & 18

Continues IBOing, meaning I'm largely satisfied.

Erased 1

Holy shit this show is legit. I was getting like a couple of those "bad sci-fi, anime ends" vibes here and there for down the line, but I can't directly fault this episode for anything, and most of it is really good. Stoked to keep going.

Thank you, everyone, for the recommendation. Might check out a couple, other things. Definitely watching Erased.

Line_HTX

Steins Gate ep.13
WTF, this is some "they killed Kenny" shit right here; not cool at all. There has to be a way out of this time loop, think Okarin, think ya stupid mad scientist.

LOL, I never thought of it like that before. It was always Edge of Tomorrow or something similar.

Rainbow Days Episode 1

Huh, it's pretty rare for a romance anime to start out with the main character being dumped.

Hmm, the humor is okay, but the main protagonist is already starting to annoy me.

Anywhere here use CrunchyRoll premium? I hit a bad streak last year of watching hardly any anime, and I'd love to get back in---finish Naruto, check out this One Punch Man, Parasyte, etc. Side note: I prefer my anime in Japanese.

What kind of Genres you like? There is a ton of stuff on Crunchy.
Very much a lover of action/shonen stuff. Sci-fi. Mechs. Fantasy. You name it. The only stuff in particular I don't watch much is slice-of-life and comedy. That isn't to say I don't like them---I've just not treaded in that water too much. My favorite anime from recent years has been The Eccentric Family and Stein's Gate.

Mailbox

Very much a lover of action/shonen stuff. Sci-fi. Mechs. Fantasy. You name it. The only stuff in particular I don't watch much is slice-of-life and comedy. That isn't to say I don't like them---I've just not treaded in that water too much. My favorite anime from recent years has been The Eccentric Family and Stein's Gate.

If that's the case, i'd probably recommend the premium account since you'll find a good deal of stuff in that area.

If you wanna dip your toe in, i can give you a guest pass (edit: looks like i actually only have 1 that hasn't expired... what luck).

PM me.

Cornbread78

- Erased (currently airing)
- Ushio and Tora (2nd season airing now)
- Cross Ange (this one has a ton of fanservice and goes off the rails, but it's crazy entertainment )
- Kyousougiga
- Blast of Tempest

I'll think of more once I get home, lol.

Wouldn't somehow make everyone more competent, so not really.

Grimgar 6

This walking animation. I can't even.

I was so distracted by that, it could have been acceptable if her legs werent showing but since they are and they arent bending in this scene it made it really stand out. This didnt seem like the type of anime one would really be pushing the deadline on on finishing an episode.

Seems it's more like outsourced issue, check the ending credit this episode all animators are Koreans, and they need 12 animation directors to save the quality, i bet it was way even worse when the staff got the prototype of this episode lol.
Typical A-1.

ViciousDS

Banned
I think I'm going to rewatch magi madoka

I remember watching it the first time and thought it was going to be another fucked up loli anime until someone's head got bit off and I realized shit got real. Then it got insanely dark as fuck and I was crying by the end.....still haven't watched the movie.

Seems it's more like outsourced issue, check the ending credit this episode all animators are Koreans, and they need 12 animation directors to save the quality, i bet it was way even worse when the staff got the prototype of this episode lol.
Typical A-1.

I don't know why A-1 gets singled out for an issue that affects all anime studios except KyoAni. Just today, Dimension W also had an outsourced episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom