• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

For those who are curious, in a recent tweet, the manga author of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu says that the current anime will cover up to volume 5 of the manga, so about the time the flashback ends and the manga goes back to the "present day" of its opening. She encourages people to buy the BD/DVDs to see the rest of the manga adapted into anime.
I would if that were practical!

I can't even imagining this charting on sales rankings, so a chance of a full adaptation seems essentially impossible. Not that I'm particularly surprised - I'm happy that it's being made at all!
Tatami Galaxy Finished

Great series. Dragged a bit in the middle and the final scene wasn't terribly satisfying but overall a very strong work whose literary roots show through thanks to Yuasa's unrestrained direction. As I said before, what came cross as haphazard or random in one episode or another eventually all converged in a single, coherent point. It's very rare for anime to be as conclusive as Tatami Galaxy; rare, indeed, for serialized television in general. I'm glad I gave this a second chance.

Glad to see that you've become wiser in your dotage.

That just leaves duckroll as the heretic who claims the claims that the conclusion is bad.

Qurupeke

Erased 7

fzZA5Xu.png
y26FUaj.png
lcJpmwc.png
I guess we can't escape from cliffhanger endings... The wait for the next episode is becoming hard. Anyway, I loved the episode. Some really good moments on it. And I'm actually happy that Kayo seems to be part of the "team" now and even is willing to help the others. I find it a bit weird that Kenya is so perceptive but I don't think it's unbelievable.

The most unbelievable thing is that Satoru tried to murder Kayo's mother.... It's obvious that the whole thing is a source of great stress but this was out of character. That would probably solve a few things, but it's definitely not the way to do it. Also, the Yuuki scene was suspicious. Either he's completely antisocial or he hides something. And the teacher.......

Anyway, great episode, nothing like the two previous ones.

/XX/

Finally!
Girls und Panzer movie BD/DVD confirmed release at May 27, include after ending OVA.
http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.info/201602/article_5.html
Plus a new Yukari's Tank Corner episode that will probably go untranslated for years...
nah, we'll still have Ye Olde Sub to remind us and pester every translator to do it. We can't thank enough such work! :p

And talking of digital disc releases, The Digital Entertainment Group Japan (DEG JAPAN) announced yesterday (February, 17) the winners of their own annual awards; The 8th BLU-RAY PRIZE, judged in terms of picture quality and better use of the format advantages for all of past year's Blu-ray Disc products. It is interesting to note how they proclaim the nice The Case of Hana & Alice as the best domestic animation film in BD. You know, after all the usual complains heard about certain animation techniques being deemed less worthy of praise, at least those technical merits related to authoring are well measurable and undeniable! :)

ERASED episode 7

There are a few aspects of this episode that are really stupid.

Chief among them is Satoru
jumping directly to assault/murder to solve a potential problem?

Yes, he does that while his eyes are red too.

Erased - 07

Finally a solid episode again. That Kenya guy, though, is stretching my suspension of disbelief to the point of bursting. There's mature children and then there's this. He acts and talks like an adult at the age of 10 or 11.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...readers-listed

Cast announced for the english audiobook of Kizumonogatari. Think I would have preferred one reader rather than multiple people doing dofferent characters. I think that would have been less jarring after hearing the Japanese voices so long. Really wonder how Shinobu will sound.

Do want to support LN audiobooks though.

Are these known audiobook people? Or just us anime voice actors?

All voice actors. Probably a Bang Zoom production since they've all done work with them before.

Erik Kimerer
Cristina Vee
Keith Silverstein

KIZUMONOGATARI audiobook coming featuring Christina Vee (Kisshot and Hanakawa).

I guess this will be the closest we to a English dub for the Monogatari series.

Tempted to double dip, audiobooks was how I harry Potter'd and Series of Unfortunate Events and Artermis fowl'd.

But then I cant return my printed copy, decisions. I always like Erik K's voices.

pbayne

Gad Guard 5

Or Big O with kids.

There's a lot to like here and im really digging this show now that its found its groove. The OST is stellar, very jazz heavy. Love how it adds to the noir feel and setting. And then the colorful contrast of the kids superhero like costumes creates a great contrast.

Even little touches like the MC Hajiki's main goal is something unusual, he wants money to buy his old house, really makes the characters endearing and unique. And these kids might be the ballsiest mecha pilots ever since they ride the mechs shoulder as they fight. And people smartly exploit this by shooting at them. Rare to see an antagonist smart enough to just shoot the MC when he has a chance instead of monlouging to him.

Buddyfight Triple D starts in April. I cant wait for this time we have Aoi Shota joining the cast, I love his voice.

Tasuku Ryueniji outfit looks great. Wish Sun Fighter Gao Mikado could have had some change.

Visual
tumblr_o2qo2uPRCF1rfp5pbo1_500.jpg

[Assassination Classroom S2] - 07

I thought I was safe watching anime. I just want to forget...but anime isn't safe anymore.

CDMHDUB.jpg

"un" is spanish, "um" is portuguese dammit can't anyone get our language right?

Time to search a new hobby. :(

Russ T

Banned
Assassianatin Classroom has been losing me this season, like I do not care about the love life of Vitch already.

If it's any consolation, it's not really a big part of the story. Also it's been the focus of like one and a half episodes! (And I guess one more, if today's episode is about it, too.)

That Kenya guy, though, is stretching my suspension of disbelief to the point of bursting. There's mature children and then there's this. He acts and talks like an adult at the age of 10 or 11.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking Kenya is terribly out of place in this story.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 7:
My problem with Kenya isn't that he seemingly comes across as an adult now, there are ways to explain that, it is that things have changed without Satoru's manipulation though perhaps that could be explained by the same rationale. Basically what I am getting at is Kenya could also be a time traveler himself.

Erased Episode 7:
My problem with Kenya isn't that he seemingly comes across as an adult now, there are ways to explain that, it is that things have changed without Satoru's manipulation though perhaps that could be explained by the same rationale. Basically what I am getting at is Kenya could also be a time traveler himself.
I assumed he was the moment he opened his mouth. I mean I've met bright ten year old but he is WAY too perceptive in comparison to his peers.

brawly

Been juggling shows like crazy, damn you crunchyroll. Gonna focus on some shonen, Fairy Tail and Hunter X Hunter for now.
Fairy Tail is finally starting to heat up at ep 21. HxH hunter exams arc was awesome, not quite sure yet where it's going now that they followed Kurapika

Want to watch Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakushi afterwards.

Qurupeke

Erased Episode 7:

That was my first thought too, but I don't get why he wouldn't reveal himself to Satoru and instead question Satoru's identity. This just complicates their operation to save Hinazuki.

The new list design on myanimelist makes the website even more useless.

Yes, its terrible.

eraed 07

so i guess Satoru wanted to be a mangaka because of Yuuki? Nice little detail.

For obvious reasons I liked this episode better then the last two. But I gotta find something to bitch about anyway. Kenya is a weirdo. The body of a child but the brain of an adult. And why would Satoru try and kill Hinazuki's mother? That made no sense whatsoever.

Also more cliffhangerzzzz

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 01

Damn, that must be easily among the most cinematic episodes of anime I've seen. Good stuff.

People say that Phantom Blood is weak but the first episode of JJBA is one of the best first episodes in all of anime

Ascheroth

Erased - 07

Back to the past. And past is better.
But the cliffhangers are getting annoying. This is either a fakeout like in episode 3, I think?, or somethings going wrong AGAIN, and I'm not sure if I like either of those options.

Satoru acted a bit dumb at times, but all in all the show still manages to have me at the edge of my seat every second.

Erased - 07

Finally a solid episode again. That Kenya guy, though, is stretching my suspension of disbelief to the point of bursting. There's mature children and then there's this. He acts and talks like an adult at the age of 10 or 11.

He literally has the Kanji for 'intelligent'/'wisdom' in his name.

Hunter X Hunter 11

Netero is great. This is a series that really thrives off its cast.

I would if that were practical!

I can't even imagining this charting on sales rankings, so a chance of a full adaptation seems essentially impossible. Not that I'm particularly surprised - I'm happy that it's being made at all!

Rakugo Shinjuu is likely to be one of the best selling TV anime of winter 2016, but nothing is looking to sell much except possibly Konosuba. Still, that won't necessarily stop the rest of the manga from being adapted; the production committee could have some split-cour type deal in mind from the start and this could just be marketing on the part of the manga author. Who knows. I'd buy the BDs if they had English subs.

Looks like the "s" has been... ERASED. (Sorry.)

People say that Phantom Blood is weak but the first episode of JJBA is one of the best first episodes in all of anime

The opening act of Phantom Blood is good, through the destruction of the Joestar home. It's only after that that it bogs down.

Yep, that first episode was a great ride.

The opening act of Phantom Blood is good, through the destruction of the Joestar home. It's only after that that it bogs down.

Yep to that as well. Am in the middle of ep 6 now and I'm simply not a fan of these battle shonen antics. Even if it's in the title I'm surprised at how quickly this turned so bizarre.

Squishy3

Yep to that as well. Am in the middle of ep 6 now and I'm simply not a fan of these battle shonen antics. Even if it's in the title I'm surprised at how quickly this turned so bizarre.
That part only lasts like 2 or 3 episodes, if I remember right. Assuming you're at Tarkus and Bruford.

Man you ain't seen shit yet. It's frankly ridiculous how Araki keeps oneupping the namesake as it goes on. Each part is progressively weirder then the last one, even if you think its impossible

Jojo is a battle shonen, and it's always going to be a battle shonen, but Battle Tendency is better at being a battle shonen than Phantom Blood is.

Ascheroth

Yeah, that part is the worst. (assuming Tarkus and Bruford). It's over pretty quickly thankfully.

It's going to stay a battle shonen though. And for this being bizarre.... Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm only really judging the Jojo anime that exist, since I have not read the original manga. But does running in a seinen magazine mean that parts 7 and 8 stop focusing on fights?

Parts 7 and 8 are pretty different from the first six, there are still fights but Part 8 is a mystery series and the stands change dramatically from the typical punch ghosts into...weirder shit that hardly focus on actual fisticuffs. And it's not fight after fight. Fights are way longer when they do happen. There's only three Stands in Part 7 with a human looking form.

Qurupeke

Parts 7 and 8 are pretty different from the first six, there are still fights but Part 8 is a mystery series and the stands change dramatically from the typical punch ghosts into...weirder shit that hardly focus on actual fisticuffs. And it's not fight after fight. Fights are way longer when they do happen. There's only three Stands in Part 7 with a human looking form.

Part 8 is straight horror sometimes and nothing like the usual Jojo. For better or worse.

Part 8 is straight horror sometimes and nothing like the usual Jojo. For better or worse.

There's a lot of body horror in part 8 but that stuff was always there. Araki is a very huge horror movie fan (second only to being a music fan) many stands in Part 3 are reference to some classic horror movie.

Wheel of Fortune = Christine
Yellow Temperance = The Blob
Death XIII = Nightmare on Elm Street
Ebony Devil = Chucky

He even wrote a book analyzing Horror movies. Not to mention Part 1's obvious gothic horror roots.

Russ T

Banned
Wow parts 7 and 8 sound fascinating. I hope the anime goes long enough!

I kind of want to just read the manga, but part 4's PV was so fuckign good I don't want to ruin it.

John Blade

I start to realize I might have watch the wrong episode for Watamote so, if anyone can inform me what episode I am, do tell me.

For this episode, Tomoko little cousin, Kiko, is coming to her place as it's summer and man...Tomoko is trying to pretend she did have a boyfriend which we know it won't happened because of her personality. The whole thing she did to get herself ready for her lie is funny and depressing.

The library part where she met someone who give her an umbrella and Kiko think it was her boyfriend is funny to watch and kinda expected something bad is going to happend which it did. Seeing Kiko face of what Tomoko did was priceless.

The final scene when Kiko realize of what is actually happen, is funny to watch and look like she now know what she have to did for Tomoko.

Edited: I found out I just watch Episode 8. Wayyyyyy too far ahead of the series.

A fun episode and also depressing in a way. Also, from watching I might have screw up of which episode is from the show. Would like to know where I am based on the description.

I'm really not liking part 8 that much honestly. Not because there's less fights (though that is a factor) but because it's really friggin weird and convoluted, and I feel like Araki's art has gotten even MORE visually incoherent. On top of that, as creative as the stands are, I feel their applications are just flat out hard to understand now. They've become way too complicated, even if Soft and Wet is a really neat idea.

I didn't really like part 7 that much either since it's similarly structurally weird, though that may be a symptom of it not originally supposed to be a JoJo series and then Araki scrambling to turn it into one.

The new list design on myanimelist makes the website even more useless.

I dont understand why sites like to switch to designs but then say many features (obvious features even) will be coming in weeks, why not launch when everything is ready.

In any case, its a odd change that almost makes it look like it wants to be touch screen friendly, I liked the simple excel chart design that made it easy to load up thousands of someones list without scrolling to the bottom, waiting on it to load more, and so on.

Will use classic forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom