• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I loved the tone shift.

As I've said before, anime is very good at leading with humor and silliness to get you invested in the characters then pull the rug out from under you so the serious moments have way more impact.
*cough* Gintama *cough*

Aqua bullying must stop now! She was the most useful partymember in the recent episodes!

Would join the Axis cult and accept the big INT penalty.

Yes, she was so useful that she got them into 40million debt!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I haven't watched Geassed Code either and I never will*.

*BGBW retains the right to change his mind at any moment.

Thoraxes

I'll watch Code Geass properly one day, but since I'm not a big fan of stories which rely primarily on pulling out crazy twist out of crazy twist, it's not a high priority for me.

It's not so much crazy twists as most situations can basically be diluted like so:

I planned ahead of you.
I planned ahead of you planning ahead of me.
I planned ahead of you planning ahead of me planning ahead of you.
I planned ahead of you planning ahead of me planning ahead of you planning ahead of me.

... and so on. The entertainment of the show is in how they pull that nonsense off.

I could only think of a couple 'twists' in the show that actually caught me off guard, but those parts were when the writers decided to change the rules that they'd previously established to keep things going.

Clov

Funi got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

CbeRYnVUEAA_22x.jpg

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/700188120398999552
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...he-girl-who-leapt-through-time-300221737.html

Had a feeling that was coming soon after that listing on their website. Glad to see it's official now!

Szadek

Log Horizon 2 - Ep. 3
Yup, that's pretty much how a raid should look like. I'm looking at you, SAO.
I was really hoping that the series would talk about raiding at some point, so I more than happy with this.

Shirobako Ep. 3
Pretty intense episode for an anime about making anime.
It gave some insight on how hectic an anime production can be.

Your Lie in April Ep. 3
This just keeps getting better and better. I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

I just realized nobody rubbed anybody's cat ears in this episode of Phantom and caused that person to get embarrassed.

Kyoani always halfassing things.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
After having watched Silver Spoon I realised it's the sort of thing I want to watch right now, but alas, I've finished it. Anyone have anything to suggest that's similar to that and Barakamon?

Though maybe it'd be better if the series has a tad more "drama", because in those two series almost nothing ever goes wrong.

After having watched Silver Spoon I realised it's the sort of thing I want to watch right now, but alas, I've finished it. Anyone have anything to suggest that's similar to that and Barakamon?

Though maybe it'd be better if the series has a tad more "drama", because in those two series almost nothing ever goes wrong.
Servant x Service
Working
One Week Friends

I guess those are close.

Pooya

Schwarzesmarken

ok, someone made me watch this shit. I don't recall watching something this edgy in a while. Damn. MC is the biggest edge lord I've seen in some time too. lol. I guess the setting is interesting. The show looks really ugly but the fight are actually cool whenever they happen instead of STASI! this and that. It's kinda like if starship troopers wasn't satire overall. I think I made a mistake watching this.

Schwarzesmarken

ok, someone made me watch this shit. I don't recall watching something this edgy in a while. Damn. MC is the biggest edge lord I've seen in some time too. lol. I guess the setting is interesting. The show looks really ugly but the fight are actually cool whenever they happen instead of STASI! this and that. It's kinda like if starship troopers wasn't satire overall. I think I made a mistake watching this.
The thing about the Muv-Luv universe is that it is at its most entertaining whenever they are fighting the BETA or doing stuff involving BETA or getting sent in mental anguish and despair because of BETA or getting ripped apart by BETA.

Whenever they are busy being stupid and fighting among themselves and killing off their best pilots for countless stupid reasons you hope the BETA continue to win.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 01

Damn, that must be easily among the most cinematic episodes of anime I've seen. Good stuff.

Really? I like Jojo TV, but the production values are too low to call it cinematic. Unless you watched the OVA instead.

Girls und Panzer

The reasons are many and stupid.

No, the reason is one - in this universe "tankery" is seen as a feminine art - and it's awesome.

I don't know how much drama you're looking for; I felt Silver Spoon had quite enough drama, between the killing of Pork Bowl in the first season and especially the family and financial troubles going on in the second season. At any rate, there aren't too many anime I can't think of with a focus on a rural/agricultural setting (Moyashimon, sort of), but anime with a somewhat similar vibe (working mostly on instinct here) that you might be interested in:

Eccentric Family
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Gauche the Cellist
Haibane Renmei
Hyouka
Lovely Complex
Master Keaton
Miss Hokusai
Mushishi
Natsume's Book of Friends
Ojiisan no Lamp
Only Yesterday
Shashinkan
Shounen Hollywood
Sound Euphonium
Wandering Son
When Marnie Was There
Wolf Children
Yama no Susume

duckroll

Shirobako is your destiny.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 9

I don't remember all this angst over trying to figure out what sushi is in the 2011 anime. If that's an anime-original addition to this version, it's a really good one.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 9

I don't remember all this angst over trying to figure out what sushi is in the 2011 anime. If that's an anime-original addition to this version, it's a really good one.

Sushi bit was from the manga, but they changed it in the 2011 anime (most likely because some aspects of it were really dumb, and it honestly didn't make sense to require two completely separate tasks at one stage of the exam, plus wanting to get to new material quicker)

Really? I like Jojo TV, but the production values are too low to call it cinematic. Unless you watched the OVA instead.

I think something can be "cinematic" without being well animated. Jojo uses dramatic close ups, some intense lighting and shading to establish mood, and the big sound effect kanji. This is all directly lifted from the manga.

I think something can be "cinematic" without being well animated. Jojo uses dramatic close ups, some intense lighting and shading to establish mood, and the big sound effect kanji. This is all directly lifted from the manga.

Yeh it's strongly stylized, lots of interesting framing, kinda fast paced storytelling and whatever else added to it feeling cinematic. Just the overall package. Kinda gave me the vibe of a dramatic hero's or villain's origin story in some superhero movie.

phaze

^ I honestly thought you were being sarcastic.
Finally!
Girls und Panzer movie BD/DVD confirmed release at May 27, include after ending OVA.
http://girls-und-panzer.at.webry.info/201602/article_5.html
I-Is that a Centurion ? Dropped.

Terra Formars s1 is like anime version discovery channel(dat narrator), i hope s2 keep about that lol.
Genuinely the most educational anime I've seen.

Awww, then you missed out on the fantastic censorship!
zS3Jjre.gif
There's an uncensored version. No excuse now !

Some new Diamond is Unbreakable images.
This will take time getting used to. Especially since early chapters I've read looked nothing like this.

Sushi bit was from the manga, but they changed it in the 2011 anime (most likely because some aspects of it were really dumb, and it honestly didn't make sense to require two completely separate tasks at one stage of the exam, plus wanting to get to new material quicker)

Why wouldn't that make sense? The whole premise of the Hunter Exam is that proctors can make up whatever kind of tests they like to determine who passes, and with two proctors for the second phase of the test having two tests makes perfect sense. The real reason 2011 changed it was likely your last point there, that they wanted to get to new material quicker, and of course that means you end up with an FMA Brotherhood kind of situation where you just do a mediocre passing grade adaptation of the beginning material.

Jojo TV is highly stylized, and that is what makes it work as well as it does, but stylization doesn't make something "cinematic", especially when much of that stylization, as you point out, is pulled right out of the manga pages. Approaching motion graphics or picture drama kind of visuals makes something less cinematic, not more.

phaze

It's Terraformars, that's the excuse.

How can you truly know it's shit if you haven't seen every episode ?!

Naruto Shippuden 447-448

Top tier comedy.
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png
Within the span of one episode, they went from Sasuke's defection and Sasuke vs Naruto redux to Pain's assault on Konoha, Hinata getting btfo (
) and Naruto going 6-tails.

Finally we got that fight with some on model animation and not Shingo's demented scribbles.

Apparently I'm 3 months late in watching the Jojo part 4 PV and realizing they changed the VA from the guy who was literally perfect in All Stars Battle and now all my hype is dead.

I made it about 5 minutes into the first episode of Terraformars. Surprisngly, I read like 120 chapters of the manga. It was bad.

There's something about manga that makes stuff easier to digest, I've dropped tons of shows where I finished/was up to date the manga but cba with the anime for one reason or another.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 101

Yomi's choice of Kurama now makes a lot of sense after what was revealed. I did not expect that kind of past between the two.
We already know what Kurama is capable off, and yet it felt so unlike him to do what he did, that I'm wavering between two possible scenarios as to why. Sly fox indeed.

I hope there's going to be some more drops about Kurama, as I feel not enough has been explored about his past. Second in command's intensions ended up rather predictable and didn't give me much of interest.
Seeing my drunken man Chu and the rest of his gang from the Dark Tournament again was a nice surprise!

Ascheroth

Active Raid - 07

Haruka centric episode this time and we also get to see her Willwear for the first time. The whole train metaphors were hilarious.

But I did not expect that ending. That turned really ugly really fast. Snake, that bastard.

Whenever I watch Active Raid I'm always waiting for the moment everyone gets naked because of how attractive everyone is in the show and the artstyle that reminds me of something from a ero-doujin.

pbayne

Osomatsu special

The first ten minutes of this is some of the most aggressive fan service ive seen in a while. Puts Free to shame really.

Second half they formed a Sentai squad which had a few chuckles but pretty meh episode overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom