• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo - 2 to 3

Was but a simple deduction to know how
the initial murder was carried out, I knew from the get go it'd have to be some kind of mirror.
A decent opening mystery but nothing spectacular, I was a bit bothered that the
murderer was using a poster of all things to hide one of the corpses. But I'd be lying if I didn't say the show wasn't suspenseful, actually thought Miyuki bought the ticket there.
Not sure if I'll pick up this series or not yet to go con-currently with Lovely Complex yet, probably going to try one of the classic Gundams next.

Clov

I hope Sentai brings over the movie. If not I hope the release has Eng Subs.

I think GuP does pretty well for them, so I think they'll get a hold of it eventually. I think it's a matter of time. Reminds me, I should probably watch the series at some point.

Unrelated, but since I got my Free! Eternal Summer BD set in, I thought I'd watch an episode to get an idea of how good the set is. Watching the OVA episode, I didn't see any major problems. Subtitles are nice looking as well, like your standard Funimation BD release. The series as a whole looks pretty fantastic on BD, as I'd expect of a KyoAni production.

I only got a standard edition set, but the cover is reversible, and the disc art is very nice as well. If you liked the series at all, I'd recommend picking up a set. Not sure if that collector's edition is in stock anymore, but the limited and standard should be widely available.

So is Terra Formars going to be the designated bad show that everyone is going to watch next season?
vZPTIiR.jpg

Or are we all going to go with Asterisk?

Never saw Terra Formers as something interesting to watch, and everyone just seems to constantly trash on it too. As for this Asterisk? I had enough head patting for 5 seasons with just half of what I watched of the first part of this one. Not even gonna go near it lol.

ViciousDS

Banned
Code Geass is art so you should be

Sit back, relax, and get ready for this train ride!

Man, I'll have to break down and watch that soon. I wish there was enough people that haven't seen it so we could do a group watch for it.

Wait you haven't seen Code Geass yet?
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR.

Do it. Do it. Do it.

The more people watching Code Geass the better.

You have no idea what you're getting yourself into. You poor bastard.

I'm surprised when anyone unironically likes Code Geass.

Code Geass was legit. The first season was a legit good anime.

The second season was also a legit good anime, but not for the same reasons.

It's one of my all time favourite shows. Code Geass was a ride I'll never forget.

Anybody who watches anime should watch Code Geass.

Geass is the MJ of anime

Choose any MJ in whatever context and its hold true.

Sounds like I should have watched this a long time ago lol

Fafner: Dead Aggressor (1-End)

The earlier episodes were a lot better on a rewatch, since I can tell apart the Hirai characters this time, and know what all the neat but pointless Norse mythology naming conventions meant. Pretty amazed at the amount of callbacks that Exodus actually made to this, I actually didn't catch most of them the first time through the latter. And that's in addition to consistent, but voiceless background characters like Akira. I didn't realize he actually appeared quite a few times throughout.

Definitely appreciate this more the second time around, although coming back to the mostly average and sometimes terrible animation was kind of tough. I think one of the reasons I was probably more receptive to the mecha CG in H&E and Exodus was due to how much better it was than the
superior
2D handdrawn animation was in DA.

Phantom World 7: 😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸😸

I dont want to get ahead of myself or anything but this is the best episode this season from the best show of the season.

Might be the best episode in anything in the last 10 years.

KyoAni is the best studio in existence.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.17
Pretty emotional episode for Ferys. That was one hell of a tough decision she had to make, but how did she
remember the other timeline?
I thought Okabe was the only one with that power? It looks like she still remembers even after the new D-mail was sent too..

So is Terra Formars going to be the designated bad show that everyone is going to watch next season?

Everyone. watch. Terra formars? Best joke of the night, lol.

Ill watch it for the sake of Marcos Garcia and Alex K Stewart for that KENN, and also Akari. Some of my favorite moments are in what this season would cover.

Aki-at

KonoSuba - 1

Some chuckles but overall was fairly boring and pedestrian. Not sure if I'll pick this show up after the opening episode but I'll put it down as needing to establish the world and make a judgement on the second episode.

Cornbread78

Steins Gate ep.18
Another take back from a D-mail sent by a close friend. Life is suffering for Okabe at this point as he tries to prevent
Mayuri's death by unchanging the changed timelines.
How is he gong to stop SERN at the same time? These episodes are a lot more serious in tone compared to the beginning...

Steins Gate ep.18
Another take back from a D-mail sent by a close friend. Life is suffering for Okabe at this point as he tries to prevent
Mayuri's death by unchanging the changed timelines.
How is he gong to stop SERN at the same time? These episodes are a lot more serious in tone compared to the beginning...

I loved the tone shift.

As I've said before, anime is very good at leading with humor and silliness to get you invested in the characters then pull the rug out from under you so the serious moments have way more impact.

Line_HTX

It was pointed out on Twitter last night by Narag, I guess it is true. The word doujin made you pop up outta nowhere

There's a handful of TUSR summoning words or TUSR bait, I swear. I could use doujin or other key words in either NFL or Fighting Game Headquarters and he would be like "You rang, fam?" within two minutes.

:LOL

Cornbread78

I loved the tone shift.

As I've said before, anime is very good at leading with humor and silliness to get you invested in the characters then pull the rug out from under you so the serious moments have way more impact.

Yeah, it's been working. These last few episodes have been killers.

jbug617

Banned
Funi got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

CbeRYnVUEAA_22x.jpg

FLOWER MOUND, Texas, Feb. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Funimation Entertainment is proud to announce its acquisition of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" – the 2006 film and first, non-franchise theatrical release from acclaimed director Mamoru Hosoda. Funimation has secured the exclusive North American rights to home entertainment, video on demand and broadcast distribution of the film as part of its agreement with Kadokawa. With the new acquisition of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and prior acquisitions of "Summer Wars," "Wolf Children" and "The Boy and The Beast," Funimation now holds rights to all four Mamoru Hosoda masterpieces. In homage to the film's theme of time travel, Funimation will be releasing a special home video edition of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" later this year to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of its theatrical release.
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/700188120398999552
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...he-girl-who-leapt-through-time-300221737.html

Dresden

phantom world 7

this reminded me of Yamato ep9. Trip through the mansion ended up being pretty profound and insightful and stuff:

if you look closely you can see meaning.

the episode works off a silly premise ticking off another boring fetish (tho i guess it might be too mild a thing to warrant such usage, so maybe kitsch?), but messes up one crucial detail, like how one might forget to put a peg in a leg as he crafts a peg-leg. Two unnecessary ears makes it too many ears.

Quasar

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...readers-listed

Cast announced for the english audiobook of Kizumonogatari. Think I would have preferred one reader rather than multiple people doing dofferent characters. I think that would have been less jarring after hearing the Japanese voices so long. Really wonder how Shinobu will sound.

Do want to support LN audiobooks though.

Are these known audiobook people? Or just us anime voice actors?

Articalys

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...readers-listed

Cast announced for the english audiobook of Kizumonogatari. Think I would have preferred one reader rather than multiple people doing dofferent characters. I think that would have been less jarring after hearing the Japanese voices so long. Really wonder how Shinobu will sound.

Do want to support LN audiobooks though.

Are these known audiobook people? Or just us anime voice actors?
All voice actors. Probably a Bang Zoom production since they've all done work with them before.

Erik Kimerer
Cristina Vee
Keith Silverstein

Line_HTX

phantom world 7

this reminded me of Yamato ep9. Trip through the mansion ended up being pretty profound and insightful and stuff:

if you look closely you can see meaning.

the episode works off a silly premise ticking off another boring fetish (tho i guess it might be too mild a thing to warrant such usage, so maybe kitsch?), but messes up one crucial detail, like how one might forget to put a peg in a leg as he crafts a peg-leg. Two unnecessary ears makes it too many ears.

This must be the work of an enemy stand.

ibyea

Banned
For those who are curious, in a recent tweet, the manga author of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu says that the current anime will cover up to volume 5 of the manga, so about the time the flashback ends and the manga goes back to the "present day" of its opening. She encourages people to buy the BD/DVDs to see the rest of the manga adapted into anime.

Noooooo. :(

Dresden

Kagewani - 5

It's kinda hard to convey what makes it so cool visually without gifs. Which in turn is kinda weird in a pleasant way because the show itself features very limited animation. There's little to work with and they do so much with it.

Qurupeke

Late to this, but Code Geass was good, unironically. It's just a crazy ride, with good mecha action.

Tatami Galaxy Finished

Great series. Dragged a bit in the middle and the final scene wasn't terribly satisfying but overall a very strong work whose literary roots show through thanks to Yuasa's unrestrained direction. As I said before, what came cross as haphazard or random in one episode or another eventually all converged in a single, coherent point. It's very rare for anime to be as conclusive as Tatami Galaxy; rare, indeed, for serialized television in general. I'm glad I gave this a second chance.

Glad you liked it. Yeah, the ending was great and I was surprised that they even managed to make everything understandable, to a show that seemed to follow a "Club of the week" format for the most of it. I think I've made it clear with my previous posts, but I have never been so satisfied with a single show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom