• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone, please look forward to my 15 part analysis of why Crimson Moon is a bad show, and how it fails to deliver in almost every regard.

I'm not gonna do that.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Rakugo 07

And this is how Bon loses the girl, Shin gets her and then the two end up fighting, isn't it. To be fair, Bon is treating the girl like crap. I get that business is good, and you may want to put some focus on it, but the way he treated Miyokichi was a little too cold. I think by now it was clear that she had legitimate feelings for him, and he knows it.

I get the impression that Kiku doesn't know how to behave with Miyokichi as well, especially when he began reciting that other story on the way home from dinner with his teacher.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wow, I just noticed that there's a guy who has so far put up an 11 part series on YouTube discussing why he thinks Asterisk War sucks. Each episode is about 15-25 minutes long. I didn't particularly care for the show either, but there comes a point where one just has to let it go. If the series goes much more it'll be longer than watching the actual anime. Even more scary, is that the videos are getting so many views. =O

You know, the thing is, he isn't wrong about The Asterisk War though.

blurr

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

I mean that the show's shots are chosen very carefully, with close attention paid to the details of framing the characters and their environments in order to enhance the storytelling. It's a thoughtful style of direction, where you get the sense that every visual decision has a reason behind it rather than having been made haphazardly.

Oh yea, I agree.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
There are multiple worse LN adaptions than Asterisk War in most seasons. It's kind of a weird choice to get obsessed with hating. It's not even like it is especially popular or anything.

Actually he is arguing that The Asterisk War is indeed that bad, is actually quite popular apparently and why the video series is so long turns out to be due to his fanbase. Oh and yes he does cite examples and indeed the next video is going to be comparing The Asterisk War to Chivalry of a Failed Knight.

14? Uugghh, I missed that fact... The whole ED is about the princess' love for him, lol.

A yup. I was down with it and then they mention it in like, episode 6 or 5 or something. Whichever episode has the belts tighten on her tits when they test her ejection seat. They did that right after they said she was 14 and I was like "...nope." I just don't understand why they can't make her the same age as Qwenthur. Two...18 year olds (is he 18? 19? I forget) that wanna bone is a lot less distressing.

Also I liked Asterisk War for a mindless watch. It is what it is, it's fucking harmless.

Mailbox

Also I liked Asterisk War for a mindless watch. It is what it is, it's fucking harmless.

That is exactly how I felt about it.

I've watched far far worse, even as far as LN adaptations go (IS being one of them), and I don't think i'd ever do 11 parts of hate on them (maybe Upotte, that show just has way too much wrong with it)

pbayne

Huh, I assumed the remaining 3 episodes were not relevant to the main story as they were listed as "special." Just got done watching them and they did add more plot stuff to the story; makes me wonder why they labeled it as such.

As for my Firo question, I ask because he seems like the only character to have little to no relevance to the show compared to the rest of the characters who played either major or minor roles regarding the train/Flying Pussyfoot and/or alchemist/immortality stories. Firo is just kind of there to
ship Ennis with someone and I guess as Maiza's protege whose accomplishment was to take out Szilard (to which Maiza (or Ennis) could've easily done if written as such).
Oh and another useless character would be Lua Klein (like why the fuck did she get a character spotlight in the OP? Rail Chaser didn't and he is an essential character).

I think some of the questions can also be answered by there are a lot more light novels yet to cover. Id agree with you in the series Firo and Lua don't do all that much but they probably become more important later.

Downfalls of an incomplete adaption I guess, not every plot thread is neatly wrapped up.

Lain

Rakugo 1-6

Way better than I could have imagined.
I like getting to see the past, though I want to see the present as well. I thought the "flashback" would be a couple episodes instead it feels like it's the whole story, which isn't bad, but I'm also curious about the "new generation".

I think some of the questions can also be answered by there are a lot more light novels yet to cover. Id agree with you in the series Firo and Lua don't do all that much but they probably become more important later.

Downfalls of an incomplete adaption I guess, not every plot thread is neatly wrapped up.

Ah, there's more of Baccano to cover? I assumed the anime covered the entirey of it considering its 13(16) episode length in contrast to Durarara's 24 and whatever length season 2 of it has.

That is exactly how I felt about it.

I've watched far far worse, even as far as LN adaptations go (IS being one of them), and I don't think i'd ever do 11 parts of hate on them (maybe Upotte, that show just has way too much wrong with it)

But they're girls AND they're guns!

It practically writes itself!

Ha ha ha ha ha.

-____-

The problem with Asterisk from this episodes I've seen is that it's 'too harmless' that it doesn't have any bite to it.

Like I could do with a little bit of edge (and originality) but everything they do is so safe.

A yup. I was down with it and then they mention it in like, episode 6 or 5 or something. Whichever episode has the belts tighten on her tits when they test her ejection seat. They did that right after they said she was 14 and I was like "...nope." I just don't understand why they can't make her the same age as Qwenthur. Two...18 year olds (is he 18? 19? I forget) that wanna bone is a lot less distressing.

He's 16-17 I think, but even then it's only a difference between a middle school girl and a high school boy, not much of an age gap.

Huh, I thought there was a bigger gap. For some reason I thought Frolatayia was younger than them (and she's...17? If I remember correctly). Yeah, I mean between 14 and 16 isn't too much but they always sounded like some college age motherfuckers.

Edit: Looked em up out of curiosity.

Havia and Qwenthur - 17
Frolatayia - 18
Princess - 14

...why the fuck can't Japan just have older characters. What the fuck. This seriously infuriates me sometimes. There's no reason they can't be in their 20s with Frolatayia being 30ish. Cut the Christmas Cake shit you fucking country.

Mendrox

Wow, I just noticed that there's a guy who has so far put up an 11 part series on YouTube discussing why he thinks Asterisk War sucks. Each episode is about 15-25 minutes long. I didn't particularly care for the show either, but there comes a point where one just has to let it go. If the series goes much more it'll be longer than watching the actual anime. Even more scary, is that the videos are getting so many views. =O

Well he is right. I've watched every part myself so far and he is absolutely correct. Asterisk is a piece of shit.

Russ T

Banned
He's 16-17 I think, but even then it's only a difference between a middle school girl and a high school boy, not much of an age gap.

That still doesn't make overt sexualization of underage girls okay, unfortunately. ):

...why the fuck can't Japan just have older characters. What the fuck. This seriously infuriates me sometimes. There's no reason they can't be in their 20s with Frolatayia being 30ish. Cut the Christmas Cake shit you fucking country.

Preach!

I mean... a lot of it is targeted at people in that age range, right? To be... fair, I guess. But even so, it's weird.

I mean don't get me wrong, when I was a kid, I was all about some cute cartoon girls, but they never had bouncing tits and panty shots and what have you.

Mailbox

But they're girls AND they're guns!

It practically writes itself!

Ha ha ha ha ha.

-____-

Don't even get me started.

The problem with Asterisk from this episodes I've seen is that it's 'too harmless' that it doesn't have any bite to it.

Like I could do with a little bit of edge (and originality) but everything they do is so safe.

oh you're completely right, it totally doesn't grip at all.

My opinion on the show is that its the kinda show you either have on in the background or something you watch as a breather between other shows you wanna watch.

I wouldn't recommend it (and i'm surprised its getting a season 2 (chivalry deserves it more)), you people could do hell of a lot worse.

pbayne

Ah, there's more of Baccano to cover? I assumed the anime covered the entirey of it considering its 13(16) episode length in contrast to Durarara's 24 and whatever length season 2 of it has.

I believe that there are a lot of cuts in the anime to get Baccano up to around novel 14 of 21 currently. I don't think it'll ever be picked up again and even then I wouldn't want anyone but Brains Base to do it. At least the light novels are being officially translated now though.

That still doesn't make overt sexualization of underage girls okay, unfortunately. ):

Erm no I guess it doesn't, but it's totally fine to date them if you're like only 2-3 years their age plus/minus which was the point I was making.

Preach!

I mean... a lot of it is targeted at people in that age range, right? To be... fair, I guess. But even so, it's weird.

Sometimes it's just what the author likes.

Although I recalled in an interview Kamachi mentioned one of his wish is to be able to write an older protagonist which makes me think it's like a corporate mandate or something.

These things are hard to change, just like how long it took for gaming publishers to switch their mentality of what kind of games can sell.

I mean don't get me wrong, when I was a kid, I was all about some cute cartoon girls, but they never had bouncing tits and panty shots and what have you.

Are you sure ;D ? (Though if you were watching cartoons for kids, I guess they probably wouldn't have those)

CrimsonN0

From what I know, the 16 episodes of Baccano cover around 5 novels out of 20 or so.
The first 4 novels are the original 13 episodes and the extra 3 covered a novel that came out way later(but chronologically fit after the first 3).
Even then, they kind of cut parts out of the story(mostly around the Eve storyline) as well as a number of characters.

It kind of doesn't look like anymore episodes are coming out, though.
Even the few references to Baccano were cut out from last few seasons of Durarara even though references to some of the author's other series(Vamp, Etsusa Bridge) were left in.

oh you're completely right, it totally doesn't grip at all.

My opinion on the show is that its the kinda show you either have on in the background or something you watch as a breather between other shows you wanna watch.

I wouldn't recommend it (and i'm surprised its getting a season 2 (chivalry deserves it more)), you people could do hell of a lot worse.

Most likely it's because it was already scheduled for a split cour.

You know how I had fun with Asterisk and Rakudai? I watched them back to back and see what are the similarities I could find lol.

Sakura

I kinda started watching Aura Battler Dunbine, but the pacing in older anime always seems so fast. Having a bit of a hard time following the plot.

blurr

Erased 07

Unsurprisingly back to its atmospheric and thrilling moments. Intense as ever and glad that Satoru is even taking help from others but good god, that cliff hanger ending.

TUSR

Banned
galko's sister 2 strong

tan lines

nCRZFe3.gif

Line_HTX

Please tell me, Galko-chan 07

Yay, Ojou won free passes to go to the water park.

Otako makes some hilarious faces.

Galko is such a kind person, and that little boy is now smitten by her PLOT and she silenced those bullies that were harassing him.

This is seriously the best short I've seen. Galko is so good, and her older sister is great too!

Galko is such a kind person, and that little boy is now smitten by her PLOT and she silenced those bullies that were harassing him.

accshually in the manga the girls only came to the pool because they knew the kid would be there. The blonde one likes him and the other one wants to support her. Damn adaptations ruining the deep relationships.

TUSR

Banned
accshually in the manga the girls only came to the pool because they knew the kid would be there. The blonde one likes him and the other one wants to support her. Damn adaptations ruining the deep relationships.

are you disappointed with the alternate superior anime story telling?

Ascheroth

Well he is right. I've watched every part myself so far and he is absolutely correct. Asterisk is a piece of shit.

...Watching a series of hate videos that are longer than the show itself seems like an odd choice of time investment to me.

There are also way worse 'magic school harem' LN adaptions than Asterisk, so all this hate seems weird in the first place.

There are also way worse 'magic school harem' LN adaptions than Asterisk, so all this hate seems weird in the first place.

Did any of you watch Mahou Sensou?

I usually consider myself having a very high tolerance for these things, I've seen some stuff, but with that show I tapped out in 9 minutes. Now, this might sound like your usual anime shitting comment, but have you SEEN Mahou Sensou?!

Mailbox

I usually consider myself having a very high tolerance for these things, I've seen some stuff, but with that show I tapped out in 9 minutes. Now, this might sound like your usual anime shitting comment, but have you SEEN Mahou Sensou?!

and through the magic of neogaf, i have found the next shit anime to watch :3

I wonder how bad it will get.

You've caught my attention

Ascheroth

It's the only show on my MAL list that I've given a 1. I mean that doesn't mean much, but it's the only show on my MAL list that I've given a 1.
I bailed halfway, but that was already way too late.
The entire premise of the show is completely stupid and that's the least of its problems.

And I'm also saying that as someone who considers himself having a high tolerance for that stuff.

Crocodile

I mean, he's right and its good critical analysis that is applicable to a wide range of similar shows. I mean I'm sure there is something better he could be doing with his time but I think those videos have value so *shrug*

Wow, he is still going with that? D: He's got to let it go!

There are multiple worse LN adaptions than Asterisk War in most seasons. It's kind of a weird choice to get obsessed with hating. It's not even like it is especially popular or anything.

As Shard alluded to, the fact that its a long running series is due to his subscribers. Usually, he drops shows like AW super fast after like an episode or two. However his audience would always ask him why he drops shows like that so soon. Therefore, he decided to see one all the way through.

Is that the show with Oni-sama? Yeah I dropped that shit like within 5 minutes. I could feel myself losing braincells super quickly.

Mailbox

No that was Mahouka (unless this also has that... OH... i need to know!)

Mahouka was kinda slow and oni-sama's gerry stu-ness got fucking weird later on

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 07
I wasn't really able to connect with this episode. The relationship between Yakumo and Sukeroku sort of feels like it hit a standstill I don't find very interesting. The nearly constant bickering almost overwhelms the show, and even in spite of the playful presentation I can't help but feel disinterested in the childish interactions. There's something a little too rose colored here, and it contrasts poorly with the more somber and emotional storyline around Miyokichi. There's almost a comical vibe pushed with Sukeroku's insubordination and alcoholism, and the ear tugging and other forms of comic violence just don't match the tone I want from this series. Outside of that, the show feels like it's keeping Yakumo's emotions shrouded. I'm sure part of that is intentional, but it feels very limited compared to the openness the last few episodes offered. The limited insight into his thoughts or feelings dampen the series as it follows him. Taking the spotlight off the appeal of rakugo and preforming in front of a crowd works against Yakumo's incredible interest in excelling in the space. His cold feelings towards people who exist outside that bubble chill the atmosphere entirely in a way that feels unpleasant.

Line_HTX

Konosuba 04

Practicing the ultimate explosion attack makes perfect damage... Or something like that, lol

I thought that Dullahan looked like Stormwind Champion for a moment.

blurr

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 07

I really see two sides of myself in Bon and Sukeroku. There's a very good chemistry between them, it feels great to watch. The perspectives during certain silent moments of some scenes add to a strong impression. Not to mention the music, intoxicating.

I'm not sure why exactly Bon is ignoring Miyokichi, I'm assuming it is because he only wants to concentrate on Rakugo.

There's this feeling of visual dissatisfaction when I look at the characters sometimes. Everything else feels great and this could just be in my head but the character designs feel like they undermine the emotion/feeling they intend to relay through facial expressions and gestures during certain scenes. I've been giving it some thought since the stage play by Bon and this is what it seems to point towards. Character designs aren't inherently bad but they don't entirely go well with the tone of *certain* moments in the show. Again, this could just be me.

Dagashi Kashi 06

Saya-chan <3333333333333333333

Quasar

Muco! 20 - Hey look at that, something Ushikou-san did got praise from Muco.

Dagashi Kashi 6 - So that crush goes waaaaay back. Also Hotaru is cursed to never win anything.

Galko-chan 7 - Poor Galko-chan. I know your pain. Continue to enjoy this PG Seitokai Yakuindomo.

/XX/

Hideaki Anno was a fan of Tom and Jerry before it was a cool thing to do in Japan. :p

It's more likely it's because it was storyboarded by Imaishi, who along with Tsurumaki seems to have done those for most of the good episodes in the first half but whatever.
Mr. Imaishi did so much for that episode you could even say it was a personal work... in terms of number of credits earned for it (even "unique" ones) only a handful of creators, like friend Shin Itagaki, could even compete. :-D

You don't see mixed-media animation too often outside the independent sphere, so it was really neat to see it used for the school play story in this episode.

I'm always a fan of when anime chooses to make a shift to a strikingly different stylized type of animation in appropriate places, and the children's storybook feel this style of animation creates is certainly appropriate for this children's fairy tale.
Sequence's creator Mayu Kawaguchi can also handle a good trippy style too, isn't it?

Over-reliance on now key people like Ms. &#332;noki isn't kind of ideal as a situation (when I suppose Mr. Kuwana or Mr. Saeki are still on-board), but as another 'rising star' like Sumie Kinoshita, that shined bright on that fifth episode of Wish Upon the Pleiades too, has been getting lately more responsibilities as well like the direction role on Omoi no Kakera and more recently on a couple of shorts for Mirai e no Tegami at Fukushima GAiNAX, it could mean a brisker pace in nurturing and boosting into higher creative positions a more broad pool of talent they need instead. I keep hoping the supervision of the new studio by veterans like Mr. Sadamoto yields good results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom