• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

...why the fuck can't Japan just have older characters. What the fuck. This seriously infuriates me sometimes. There's no reason they can't be in their 20s with Frolatayia being 30ish. Cut the Christmas Cake shit you fucking country.

Why would the target audience for the original light novel want to fantasise about people much older than them?

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 07

I wasn't really able to connect with this episode. The relationship between Yakumo and Sukeroku sort of feels like it hit a standstill I don't find very interesting. The nearly constant bickering almost overwhelms the show, and even in spite of the playful presentation I can't help but feel disinterested in the childish interactions. There's something a little too rose colored here, and it contrasts poorly with the more somber and emotional storyline around Miyokichi. There's almost a comical vibe pushed with Sukeroku's insubordination and alcoholism, and the ear tugging and other forms of comic violence just don't match the tone I want from this series. Outside of that, the show feels like it's keeping Yakumo's emotions shrouded. I'm sure part of that is intentional, but it feels very limited compared to the openness the last few episodes offered. The limited insight into his thoughts or feelings dampen the series as it follows him. Taking the spotlight off the appeal of rakugo and preforming in front of a crowd works against Yakumo's incredible interest in excelling in the space. His cold feelings towards people who exist outside that bubble chill the atmosphere entirely in a way that feels unpleasant.

I'm going to agree with you, this episode was too much constant bickering and too much his friend being an alcoholic bum. Which already we knew from previous episodes, so it didn't show anything really new. The episode only had a handful of important scenes, the master offering the tour and the girl being rejected.
But sad geisha was sad :(:

luXAhtR.jpg

Link Man

Banned
I'm going to agree with you, this episode was too much constant bickering and too much his friend being an alcoholic bum. Which already we knew from previous episodes, so it didn't show anything really new. The episode only had a handful of important scenes, the master offering the tour and the girl being rejected.

It did have Bon turning into Ebenezer Scrooge, though his obsession being Rakugo rather than money. But yeah, this episode really did feel like it was just rehashing previous plot points.

I feel like this increase in bickering is a fairly natural development of the path these characters have been walking. Kiku is drifting further away from the two and this bickering is among the most visible indicator of that. To me it seems on purpose and part of the understatedness. Same goes for the alcoholism of Sukeroku. I appreciate that the show isn't actively telling you how much of a bad development of Sukeroku's this is. Everyone in the audience with half a brain understands just fine that he's become an alcoholic and it's a problem.

I'm really glad the show is taking its time in going through all this in detail even if that means we don't get to see many major plot points per episode. It's its strength and has been there from the beginning. We didn't just rush through all those rakugo performances even though it usually was easy to gauge where those scenes where heading. It wasn't until this episode that we really skimmed through the majority of that when the previous episode been made clear that Kiku finally found his style and happiness in rakugo (Sukeroku had his for a while already).

blurr

I feel like this increase in bickering is a fairly natural development of the path these characters have been walking. Kiku is drifting further away from the two and this bickering is among the most visible indicator of that. To me it seems on purpose and part of the understatedness. Same goes for the alcoholism of Sukeroku. I appreciate that the show isn't actively telling you how much of a bad development of Sukeroku's this is. Everyone in the audience with half a brain understands just fine that he's become an alcoholic and it's a problem.

Well put. My thoughts as well.

Oshiete Galko-chan 07

Finally, the swimming pool episode. I loved the part where Galko stepped up to the bullies, In the final scene we see that had its repercussions.

Cornbread78

What are the thoughts about Kiss x Sis, Kimikiss Pure Rouge, Green Green, Love Hina and Rosario + Vampire?

Need the next useless Romcom to watch.

Yes, that's true, I got the feeling Sukeroku is going from "wild and young brash who loves fun" to starting to have a real problem with alcohol/money, and it's only holding up because his charisma in the theater, in contrast with Yakumo who is in an upwards momentum thanks to his seriousness and newfound love for Rakugo.

Just T

Assassination Classroom 2nd Season : 7

Things got pretty serious this episode, they was outclassed quick. That dog costume was funny though.

Gate S2: 7

That was a cool little fight with Lelei and her sister.

pbayne

Saraiya Goyou (House of Five Leaves) End

i3pGJKE.png

Craved a historical period show since watching Rakugo and stumbled on this and what a great discovery.

Short summary is that its a show about a samurai who falls into a crowd of kidnappers. Though given the subject matter there is little to no action at all. Rather it delves into the morals of the characters and how people understand one another and the connections between people regardless of their past. It's a very rewarding show that feels like you'd get more from it each time you watch it.

Pros:

-Great characters with natural development and interactions. No one is a stereotype or exaggerated.
-Rewarded for paying attention to character actions and seemingly small lines of dialogue are loaded with meaning.
-Use of clever transitions, framing etc prevents a show that is 95% talking from ever seeming dull.
-No forced drama, no cliff-hangers, just no dramatic contrivances needed to drive the plot.
-Show looks gorgeous at times and animation is really consistent.

Cons:

-Apparently bombed hard and is probably one of the shows that killed MangaGlobe.
-The music is excellent most of the time but there are a few tracks that are a bit weird and ill-fitting.
-I loved the ending but I could see why it would piss some people off.

duckroll

Rakugo Anonymous - Episode 7

It took a while for me to reflect on how I really feel about this episode. I appreciate that the show commands its own pace and doesn't feel the need to have things happening for the sake of happening, but there is a real sense here that they're just treading water. We know that he's in a relationship that he finds awkward and doesn't really want to indulge in. We know he has found his true calling in the style of rakugo he wants to perform and it is finally paying dividends. We know his friend is a bit of a douche who has problems with finances and drinks too much. We've known most of this for several episodes now, some of it we've known since the very beginning. So to see it continue to be used as the main dynamics between all the characters for an entire episode without anything moving forward is a big ask.

There were scenes which were exceptionally well framed, and the atmosphere invoked in the scenes involving Miyokichi were pretty powerful, but there's still that feeling of "that's the entire episode?" by the end. The one thing that progressed in the entire episode was Kikuhiko getting to go on the tour with their master, and I felt that it would have been better if the episode actually ended with him leaving on the train. As it is, it feels like the departure is yet another thing I was looking forward to, because of the potential drama it could cause, but didn't get in the episode itself.

Buranki - 07

That was a pretty cool fight. I don't really follow the story since I skim for potential robot fights, but what seem to be the bigger threat resulting in temporary alliances is something I'm fond of in general.
Redhead appears to be fucking nuts which means I enjoy her presence now. She gets extra points for the bloody headbutting and fight trash talk.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dagashi Kashi 6
Lesson from this episode:
- Don't play with your food.
- Sunglasses might save you
- Be careful with your belonging
- Yoguret is nutritional

Seeing Coconuts being a candies nerd when he's still a child does explain why he so knowledgeable about candies. I'm sure if Hotaru and Coconuts meet during their childhood, they become best buddies right away. loli saya lust for coconuts though...

Oh right, my complaint for this episode, i don't know why, but the animator can't seem to balance the eyes, especially Saya and Coconuts eyes (happen on previous episode, but not as noticeable like this episode)

Oshiete Galko-chan 7

Another anime with educational value. And look at that boy wearing USA flag for his swimwear!

So the Assassination Classroom anime is going to cover the manga's ending. Which is cool.

That said, I wish they didn't skip Takebayashi's mini-arc. That arc gave his character some depth, and it was more enjoyable than the contest between Isogai and Asano.

Just T

So the Assassination Classroom anime is going to cover the manga's ending. Which is cool.

That said, I wish they didn't skip Takebayashi's mini-arc. That arc gave his character some depth, and it was more enjoyable than the contest between Isogai and Asano.
That's surprising, was expecting a 12 episode season to finish it or something, didn't think they would fit it all into these 25 eps.

That's surprising, was expecting a 12 episode season to finish it or something, didn't think they would fit it all into these 25 eps.

Same, I guess even more chapters will be skipped or whatever included chapters covered will have many moments omitted. I would have liked 12 episode final season for a bit more time with the cast.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
After finishing both HxH and Steins;Gate it feels like I'm just throwing out 10s left and right.
Well time to watch Dennou Coil I guess.

I have a question.

Did Crunchyroll change their policies recently? because I can't go back and watch older Crunchyroll anime. I keep getting an error. I have a free account and it seems it doesn't play any old anime on CR App on mobile or on PS4 App.

Like what the fuck?

Wait seriously?

That's cool because it'll mean my favorite arcs get animated (Nagisa's mom, the...um...well, super spoilers arc) but that means they're gonna have to skip a fucking lot and one thing I thought the anime had going for it was very good pacing for an adaptation.

Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc Episode 31 - No Love Lost

DeSu mention, DeSu mention, I love you Walker, best handheld JRPG thats not named Golden Sun gets some love. And he said Lets Survive!

Intense episode especially the chat room
how did she even get everyones names, I must need to go back to catch the hints.

Narita too into Shizuo x Varona though.

Just T

Bubuki Buranki: 7

That was a neat fight. Guess that's suppose to be the sister with the cape and shit, who knows what her deal is about to be lol.

Ascheroth

Durararara X2 - 31

I loved this episode.
Devil Survivor reference combined with a Samurai Flamenco reference.

I laughed so hard during the entire second half with Shizuo, Celty bike, Varona, Kujiragi, Yagiri and Izaya.
Amazing, just amazing. The entire scene is serious as fuck but you can't stop giggling like a madmen thinking how Shizuo is going to completely destroy every possible plan they could throw at him.

And boy, was the chatroom intense. Namie is pissed. I really liked this line of her towards Mikado, because I think it's really fitting:
"You don't have a clue about anything, and yet you're involved in every single incident."

This season is killing it.

Is BBK/BBRK good? Decent action show?
The writing is terrible. It has some cool visuals and action scenes (as of episode 3), I guess.
But the writing is terrible.

phaze

If you don't start to like Helga by the time episode
hits (which personally still my favorite moment in the series) I doubt you ever will.

Not sure how can you prefer Cooks part, they are mostly just an excuse for exposition and setting up plot points. :p

The second half of the show is very different anyway. Also don't skip the ED in the next episodes (Skipping Origa should be a capital sin anyway).

It is exposition but all devoted to central mystery of the series so far, the children of Belfort. And it had that one flashback episode depicting that scientist from one hundred years ago and his descent into madness(which was dope). Meanwhile the Helga&rest parts do little outside of introducing us to (so far) flat, uninteresting characters which could have been done in half or third of time that was used.

Origa's ED song is certainly very nice but the visuals weren't enough to keep me interested. Especially when watching a complete show, it takes ~ SSY levels of ED to keep me from skipping them. But duly noted, will keep my eyes peeledfor any changes.

Saraiya Goyou (House of Five Leaves) End

i3pGJKE.png

Craved a historical period show since watching Rakugo and stumbled on this and what a great discovery.

Short summary is that its a show about a samurai who falls into a crowd of kidnappers. Though given the subject matter there is little to no action at all. Rather it delves into the morals of the characters and how people understand one another and the connections between people regardless of their past. It's a very rewarding show that feels like you'd get more from it each time you watch it.

Pros:

-Great characters with natural development and interactions. No one is a stereotype or exaggerated.
-Rewarded for paying attention to character actions and seemingly small lines of dialogue are loaded with meaning.
-Use of clever transitions, framing etc prevents a show that is 95% talking from ever seeming dull.
-No forced drama, no cliff-hangers, just no dramatic contrivances needed to drive the plot.
-Show looks gorgeous at times and animation is really consistent.

Cons:

-Apparently bombed hard and is probably one of the shows that killed MangaGlobe.
-The music is excellent most of the time but there are a few tracks that are a bit weird and ill-fitting.
-I loved the ending but I could see why it would piss some people off.

Mind refreshing my memery on the bolded ? It's been a while, is it the the unfinished
policeman plot
or something else ? Great pick and very glad you liked it !

Mr. Imaishi did so much for that episode you could even say it was a personal work... in terms of number of credits earned for it (even "unique" ones) only a handful of creators, like friend Shin Itagaki, could even compete. :-D
Ha, thanks for that. Now that I checked it, al of those were in the english credits too. Pretty impressive. Though, if as it seems to me, they translated Gekimator into Dramamator then he's not the "one and only" cause they list Anno and Nobutoshi Ogura under that heading as well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom