• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schwarzes Marken Episode 7

If the country is being invaded a coup d'etat would honestly be the last thing on my mind or even something I want. Whats the point of taking over when HEAVY LASER CLASSes are litrally in your front yard. Abandon Germany and go find another question, Lisa offers the best advice..
too bad she has ulterior motives, awful imouto

Miyokichi is the masters
side thing shh shh don't tell my wife
At first I thought he wanted to pair Kiku and Miyo together but after this episode I think it was more about him sending her off to be with Kiku as a one time thing or something like that.
Because of that the question
asked by the master about his relationship with Miyo seems to have made him want to distance himself more from Miyo as before that moment he was totally fine with going out with her.

or he has no feelings for Miyo and loves Sakurako and that's why he's going out shopping cloth for him, takes care of him when he's drunk and letting him sleep on his lap.

Also wonder when the double suicide (Shinjuu) is going to happen I can almost already guess how it's going to play out, well might not even happen in this season. As this anime will adapt volumes 1-5 of 10 ( 8 is out )

Thanks for the explanation but I think you also just spoiled something huge for me :x

I don't think so, Geisha aren't prostitutes, and dont advertise themselves that way. The Master and her may be in an illicit relationship, or not, but it's not implicitly 'part of the job wink wink nudge nudge' or something

Ah gotcha.
At first I thought she was just a girl that the master wanted Kiku to hook up with so he'd relax a bit. But its weird that he'd ask her to sleep with a student as a favor even though he's also having an affair with her. I feel even worse for her.

I wonder if Kiku feels bad about dating his masters side chick? I always got the impression he never had any real feelings for her and they were hanging out just cause. He always seemed more interested in rakugo and taking care of Shin than her.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Thanks for the explanation but I think you also just spoiled something huge for me :x

Ah gotcha.
At first I thought she was just a girl that the master wanted Kiku to hook up with so he'd relax a bit. But its weird that he'd ask her to sleep with a student as a favor or something. I feel even worse for her.

I wonder if Kiku feels bad about dating his masters side chick? I always got the impression he never had any real feelings for her and they were hanging out just cause. He always seemed more interested in rakugo and taking care of Shin than her.
Real sorry I should put some disclosure to the spoilers, sorry again.

Real sorry I should put some disclosure to the spoilers, sorry again.

Thanks man :(

Ah well, cant do anything about it now. Best to separate and label spoilers about current episode events and actual future spoilers. Might want to edit your original post so someone else doesnt get spoiled.

I think that's been the same girl, Elizabeth, since the first time we saw her. Just wearing different disguises. First as a boy, then her goth outfit, and we saw her briefly in the previous episode without any disguise.

Thats a damn good disguise then. I could have sworn the boy looked a lot younger than any of her other disguises. But I guess thats the point of disguises. Coils are messing with me.

Miyokichi is the masters
side thing shh shh don't tell my wife
At first I thought he wanted to pair Kiku and Miyo together but after this episode I think it was more about him sending her off to be with Kiku as a one time thing or something like that.
Because of that the question
asked by the master about his relationship with Miyo seems to have made him want to distance himself more from Miyo as before that moment he was totally fine with going out with her.

or he has no feelings for Miyo and loves Sakurako and that's why he's going out shopping cloth for him, takes care of him when he's drunk and letting him sleep on his lap.

Also wonder when the double suicide (Shinjuu) is going to happen I can almost already guess how it's going to play out, well might not even happen in this season. As this anime will adapt volumes 1-5 of 10 ( 8 is out )

I'm more inclined that the master was questioning Kiku's sexuality rather than inquiring on behalf of his own 'affair' (probably wasn't sexual at least?) with Miyo. After all he pretty much did push the two together and wasn't so much asking if they're in a relationship but rather how far along they are. Kiku's lacking will to drive that relationship forward must've been apparent to others by now and the same is the case for his closeness to Sukeruko.

When Kiku is retelling the story of someone who's pondering about his interest in girls we get another pretty direct hint that this is a topic at hand.

However, whether Kiku is straight, gay or bi, his master's relation to Miyo may still be a major point as to why he doesn't try to pursue that relationship much, especially when he's so career orientated and respectful to his elders.

edit:
btw, (somewhat directed at Spirited given the comments) when using spoilers, please always give a mark source material spoilers as such.

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World Episode 8 Preview
O57WoHm.png

Somewhat Dimension W Spoilers Regarding Loser:
It's the same girl. Her whole shtick is she's good at using drones and such so the pigeons from EP2 and the Bats from Ep 5+6 were a tip off.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm more inclined that the master was questioning Kiku's sexuality rather than inquiring on behalf of his own 'affair' (probably wasn't sexual at least?) with Miyo. After all he pretty much did push the two together and wasn't so much asking if they're in a relationship but rather how far along they are. Kiku's lacking will to drive that relationship forward must've been apparent to others by now and the same is the case for his closeness to Sukeruko.

When Kiku is retelling the story of someone who's pondering about his interest in girls we get another pretty direct hint that this is a topic at hand.

However, whether Kiku is straight, gay or bi, his master's relation to Miyo may still be a major point as to why he doesn't try to pursue that relationship much, especially when he's so career orientated and respectful to his elders.

edit:
btw, (somewhat directed at Spirited given the comments) when using spoilers, please always give a mark source material spoilers as such.

So edited my post, should be fine now I hope. I'll remember it for next time, sorry.

Also your observations seem extremely reasonable and it could evolve in either way.
Now that efter credits scene
showing Sakurako (forcing?) himself at Miyo and then Kiku getting angry at her really makes me want it to only be edited in a deceptive way.

Gundam 00 S2 1

Did all those implied deaths at the end of S1 really just get reverted? So many questions about what happened during that timeskip too.

At least these new mobile suits use lances.

Cornbread78

Rakugo ep.1
So I finally got around to watching the entire first episode and it wasn't half bad, but the story parts got kind of boring at times. I'll give it a couple more episodes to see if it gets more interesting, but that first episode was looooong and mr. Tsundere master is weird.

DanMachi 4

This gets better with each episode, though I do think the plot is moving a bit too slow at the moment. Little helper girl wasn't as annoying as I expected so that's good.

Think I might check out Noir next, at least the first episode.
Noir is great! Really awesome music too. This was one of the first anime series I watched, aside from what came on old Toonami and whatever G4/TechTV's anime block was.

Crocodile

RWBY: Volumes 1-3

Mega Post

Yeah I'll cosign a lot of what this post is saying. I think what really helped the show, even in the beginning, is that a lot of the cast is likeable. You can enjoy most of the main cast just interacting with each other and stumbling their way through the world. The same is true of most of the supporting cast and most of the villains as well. I feel a LOT of anime in the LN or shonen lanes can't even get that right. The show pretty much continuously and gradually improves. There is actual character development, there are actual character arcs, there is an actual world we are learning more and more about that had some actual thought put into it and there are actual stakes. Fights aren't just "Imma chargin' ma LAZOR" or "Trump Cards" en masse. There is no wish-fuffillment nonsense and the writing issues that brings with it. I also appreciate not having to use qualifiers like "Putting aside the overt/implicit racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/etc., I enjoy this show" I sometimes have to do with other anime. I'm not sure I get the qualms with the voice acting. It started out fine and Id' say is now actively great *shrug*

The show is still clumsy in some regards, it would obviously look better if it was 2D animated by a talented studio, and it certainly isn't what I'd call a bastion of originality but for a shonen action anime (which is what the show is at the end of the day), I'd say its gone from ok to actively good.

As for the concept of passion project, its pretty easy to understand what that means. There's a difference between something that was conceived or is being produced cynically with the minimum amount of effort. Regardless of what you think of the show's quality, it damn clear that everyone on pretty much every level (animators, VAs, etc.) gives a damn

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 40

KENN did the gotcha mid duel, nice Ive been waiting for this for many episodes, GOTCHA.

Good duel because of them just saying baka to each other mid duel, what a silly pharoah.

Manjoume Juudai moments were the best though, Manjoume on Juudai even with the leg around him or in class when Juudai turned his joke back on him leading to some classroom action. Then when Juudai called Manjoume a friend and he started blushing and getting flustered. Manjoume has changed so much since episode 1, its great.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.10
Good episode as she settles the issues with her classmates as well as her biggest two enemies in the school. Her going after the childhood friend for tearing her picture was hilarious.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Is that really important though?

I mean, I don't think a passion project is defined by how original it is, or hell, even how good it is. I feel it's defined by what the creator(s) put into it and how that comes across within the project itself. If I put my heart and soul into something completely unoriginal, would the fact it means little to you stop it from being a passion thing?
I can't help but feel the integrity required for a true passion project is compromised when you just want to make a copy of something else out there. If you can't see the commercial intentions of RWBY or how much of it is a result of available resources I dunno what to say. When you go to cast one of the major threats/nefarious forces in the series and you go, "Hmm, let's cast someone with no acting experience whose claim to fame is dressing provocatively at cosplay conventions" it's just like...yeah...artistic integrity. Passion project. Whatever. Pretending that RWBY is some very personal piece of art with little marketing drive behind it is pretty dishonest.

Crocodile

I can't help but feel the integrity required for a true passion project is compromised when you just want to make a copy of something else out there. If you can't see the commercial intentions of RWBY or how much of it is a result of available resources I dunno what to say. When you go to cast one of the major threats/nefarious forces in the series and you go, "Hmm, let's cast someone with no acting experience whose claim to fame is dressing provocatively at cosplay conventions" it's just like...yeah...artistic integrity. Passion project. Whatever. Pretending that RWBY is some very personal piece of art with little marketing drive behind it is pretty dishonest.

I'm not really following anything you're saying here. A passion project can't be one you seek to make money from? To make things you need to pay creative people and to pay creative people you have to make money.

Why does Nigiri upset you? I mean, I feel Laura Bailey doing her Lust voice would probably make a better Cinder but Nigiri is doing a great job. Would it matter if they picked a Hobo off the street if said Hobo did a great job? If VA professionalism is your concern, that seems even weirder to me given how many well known VAs are joining the show (like Vic who did Qrow this season).

What does originality have to do with it either? That doesn't inherently define quality or execution. Given all the interviews Monty had given over the years (RIP) it was clear he was a bit of a weeb. But he was a weeb who worked hard, used his connections well and got his dream animu to become a reality and become a success. All the animators and VAs I've seen speak about the show give off a similar energy. That's what it means to be a passion project - something the people involved actively love doing and want to continue doing rather than something they do begrudgingly because "its a living". But "oh noes they are selling figures and comics based on the property so it doesn't count"?

RWBY is awesome, in my opinion. The first time I tried to watch it, I couldn't because I thought the CG was too jarring, but I went back to it a good while later and really enjoyed it.

The story is interesting, the characters are great, and the fights are amazing. I need to watch the new season one of these days.

I'm about 3 episodes from the end of Naruto Shipuuden, and after the dive this has taken I'm going to need to jump to another show really quick after it ends, or I run the risk of going another year hardly watching any anime.

Did I miss any great action or mech anime in 2015 that have completed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom