• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think it is funny how his whole squad KNOWS he's fucking his sister and are just like 'Whatever".

Course with humanity on the brink people might not be all that picky or judgmental about who is banging who.

Dimension W 6-7

My dude Kyoma got himself a Lexus LF-A. Sweet.

Of course Steve Jobs is the President of New Tesla lol.
And Japanese Steve Jobs is the one that ordered the hit on Japanese Tesla.
Of course.

Finally got some backstory on why Kyoma hates coils. Sad and gruesome. I bet some of his preference for old devices is because
Miyabis love for older stuff like her camera

I wonder if Miyabi and Mira are somehow connected.
They have to be at this point. Also, I thought the scenes with the black background and quotes were cheesy as hell. Could have done without that.

Lastly, Loser is cool as fuck. I wish we saw more of him. I thought the kid that calls him Papa was a boy? Or does he have multiple kids.

How prevalent is that... stuff in Fire Emblem, considering the OT title was changed?

Its a series about nobility and warring kingdoms that introduced a popular marriage mechanic so...you can probably guess. Nobles like to fuck. They also like to fuck each other.

Good thing your sultry sadistic sister (SSS for short) from the evil empire voiced by Sawashiro isn't ACTUALLY blood related to you. Wink wink.

Tuesday needs to get here so I can start Fire Emblem. Thanks Gamestop.

SNAFU S2 - End
God damn it. Season 3 when.

...Jokes aside, this has been an awesome series so far. All the characters conform to basic stereotypes seen often in anime, but said stereotypes are actually explored, explained and in contasnt evolution, focusing on the theme of "real things" and subverting said stereotypes by showing the audience (and the cast) that people are often way more than what we can see in them at first glance.

The whole thing about paradigms, how everyone has a biased view of people (including themselves), and how said mental images can't ever contain a person as a whole, as there're often parts of them we fail to notice (or ignore, either voluntarily or subconciously)... that is a theme that has been explored in other shows several times in the past. For example, Nozaki-kun did it through comedy (a character that gives off the image of being a certain way but is actually the complete opposite), and Evangelion did it through a brain-fuck plot which was a lot closer to SNAFU's way of handling things: People often don't want to be hurt, and sometimes that mask we wear and our own biased perception of the world can end up hurting others (and ourselves) pretty badly. People often fail to understand each other (and even themselves), and it's really easy to end up hurting those around us. The show works hard to point out that "knowing" a person is something that's done little by little, and that's bound to hurt us when we realize they might not be just the kind of person we thought they were; even when we "know" someone, they're always changing and growing, which means the breach between who someone "really" is and how we see them grows wider the less we interact with them.

People tend to wear lots of masks during their everyday lives, which varies between social circles, activities and even situations (hermeneutics, I guess?), and trying to comprehend someone as a whole is a really arduous (and perhaps even futile) task, which kind of ties into really caring for someone (as in a really close friend, relative or loved one): when we really want to understand the other, being aware that our mental image of who they are is bound to be broken to pieces in no time, and steeling ourselves for that while still pushing forward because yes, that person's important enough to us that we're okay with them seeing our "weak" and more intimate side to try and grasp them in a more meaningful and less superficial way.

There aren't that many shows that decide to tackle this kind of themes, so my hat's off to the people behind SNAFU, because it sure as hell is one of the better things I've seen among recent anime.

Regarding masks, I thought Hayama being more than just the school heartthrob was a nice twist in this season. There are some interesting theories about his relationship with Yukino and her sister floating around.

Most importantly, are you Team Iroha?

Sölf

Nerima Daikon Brother 07
I just saw a female cyborg breaking up with a panda and then declaring her love in a Titanic scene on a swan boat to a fish cake.

The hell.

Serious

you playing birthright or conquest? Because conquest she's near impossible to get her to catch up enough so i can change her to archer.

I'm playing Conquest on Lunatic, mostly blind, and I've had no major issues babying her. Have her as an 11 Archer on THAT mission (10). Also there's nothing stopping you from turning her to an Archer earlier than that unless you really want Underdog, you don't need to wait until 10 to Heart Seal her like in Awakening (I wish I realized this earlier).

Can't tell whether or not it was worth it, though having a second bow user is really nice right now. So many Pegasi...

Dennis

Banned
I checked out the three dedicated show threads in OP and it looks like Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) is the must-watch show of the season?

Qurupeke

I checked out the three dedicated show threads in OP and it looks like Erased (Boku dake ga Inai Machi) is the must-watch show of the season?

It's pretty good. It's far from flawless but it can have suspense and drama, along with some great, heartwarming scenes. I'm not sure if it's the best anime of the season, but it's certainly the one with the most mainstream appeal.

Mature

It's pretty good as a pulpy murder mystery with a few fantastical elements. Rakugo is also really well regarded.

Yammy shibby s3 07

Ehhh, that one wasn't too bad. A little goofy maybe. But I really hate the art style they use for the monsters. Yeah its jarring, but not in a good way. At least it was only relegated to hands this time. Fucking semen demon ghosts. Isn't there some ghost law that if your ghost gimmick is "Don't look at me or you die" then you shouldn't be able to force someone to look at you? That's cheating.

False advertising. English version doesn't contain godly Sawashiro.

No Koyasu either. Truly, it is the inferior version. People raising a stink about localization or petting have missed the forest through the trees.

That and Rakugo. Don't listen to DTL.

Erased and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju are the best shows this season. Haikyuu!! S2 is also excellent if you're into sports anime.

Rakugo is by far the best I'd say. Then comes Ochiete Galko-chan if you enjoy that stuff and afterwards follows Erased which, after some very strong early episodes, took major dips in direction and writing.

This Boy Is A Professional Wizard Episode 3
tumblr_o2t3fvxlx51ta51n1o4_540.png
tumblr_o2t3fvxlx51ta51n1o2_540.png
tumblr_o2uzgoWGoa1rnsfv6o1_540.png
tumblr_o2uzgoWGoa1rnsfv6o2_540.png

Awesome episode at the start because of all the love date stuff and the cute thing waking up the next day but why the drama :( :( :(
I assume he has some type of spirit haunting or taunting him or something only way he could totally shut down the relationship

I like all the random pop up details in scenes, the english text some of the text being incorprated into the visuals scrolling by or having nice font style and movement to it, and even some of the effects having effects like idea questionmarks circles popping in places, and more. I guess the benefit of this being like a one man lady job for this anime is she can add as many effects as possible and make the scenes look as gorgeous and stunning as possible. The details in the bar or even the room, usually character rooms are not that detailed and full of interesting things to make it look lively and intriguing and informative of their lives.

Eleuin

Never thought I'd catch up on Gintama but it was so easy to watch 4-5 episodes in a sitting, especially after the Yoshiwara in Flames arc

Best moment outside of the arcs would have to be this appearance though

Yu Yu Hakusho | 105 & 106

Somehow I'm not surprised that this political issue turned into a fighting tournament! Slightly disappointed in Chu, though the aftermath of it sort of makes up for it.
Felt kinda unecesary to have (mostly) every established strong fighter conveniently get into their own block with plebs in this open tournament.

Shura vs Yomi was pretty good, even if I'm not really fond of the concept behind their relationship, it served as a nice way for characterization
I'm bothered that a tournament of this scale being this late in the show. It's most likely going to be a lot of missed potential with quick fights.

RWBY: Volumes 1-3

So around the Internet I heard various things about this little ONA. Most of it was a lot of positivity towards its third volume. Usually, I would have ignored it, as it felt like business as usual at first. But as time went on the popularity started to feel different. People began saying the show took a darker turn, that it was no longer the typical battle-school show that it started off as.

So out of curiosity, I went back in. I had actually started watching RWBY around Fall of last year, and my comments could be summed up as many others who dislike this show. Awkward CG (outside of the fight scenes, anyway), over-the-top quirky characters, less-than-stellar voice acting, probably the most basic bare-bones type of anime story and setting you could get, it was all there. I didn't hate it, per say, but I definitely felt no urge to continue it. Until now, anyway.

I jumped back into the show on Netflix, finished the first two volumes, went to Crunchyroll and started and finished Volume 3.

And I have to say, I was surprised.

Around the last third of Volume 2 was when I began to get invested in the storyline. Whatever moments of awkward quirkiness was followed by set-up to a much larger story. Volumes 1 and 2 can pretty much be entirely described as set-up, really. More questions are raised than answers given, and nothing truly remarkable or crazy enough happens to really recommend the show to anyone.

But where RWBY succeeds where many other modern anime LN high-school battle-shounen shows fail, is in one crucial area. Pay-off.

Volume 3 takes everything established in the previous two volumes, and sets things into motion with them. Things are much more tense in the show now, more than they've ever been before. The lore of its world has been expanded upon and the implied connections it has to many of the main characters are genuinely intriguing. Volume 3 ends with everything I knew about the show changed. I don't want to spoil much, but I can tell that Volume 4 is definitely going to have a much different tone than that of the first two volumes. This isn't just a high-school battle-shounen show anymore. This is an adventure.

I'll stop talking about that now though, as I feel the less one knows what happens in Volume 3, the better.

Don't take this as I'm saying that Volume 3 pushes the show into 100% top-tier anime status though, because it most definitely isn't that. While the CG in Volume 3 is definitely an improvement, I can't say that you'll react the same way towards it that I did. While the voice-acting has also improved, with big-name VAs such as Yuri Lowenthall and Vic Mignogna on the project, it can still be pretty iffy. The characters, while not as bland and uninteresting as they start out as, are still pretty basic.

You've got the stuck-up rich girl, the tough but mostly stoic and silent type with a dark past, the perky main character, the tough and caring older sister, the loser boy with a big heart, the bully jock, the hyperactive comedy girl, etc.

While they all get some development, it's nowhere near as much as I've seen it in other much better shows. But the good thing is, when it comes to anime, "some development" is still a lot more than many other shows can say. The show doesn't back out on any choices it makes. Where the show is at now, it isn't joking around with anything.

It's honestly difficult for me to recommend RWBY, as in order to get to the good stuff, one has to have the patience to sit through the 3+ hours of set-up of Volumes 1 and 2. Do I think that it's worth it? Well, yeah. But whether you'll feel the same way depends on how much of a chance you're willing to give the show. I wouldn't say that Volumes 1 and 2 are pure garbage, per say. The fight scenes are genuinely impressive all the way through, with some legit good choreography. They're all fast-paced, chaotic, and great fun to watch. But it definitely has its flaws.

What I probably like the most about RWBY however, is the passion behind it and what that passion has earned Rooster Teeth. On paper, the entire project sounds like some fanboy dream. That dream has evolved into an ONA that has actual legit VAs in Japan dubbing it. The fact that Rooster Teeth is continuing to give their all towards this project in the name of Monty Oum after his tragic death last year just to continue that dream, is something I can't help but admire.

RWBY most definitely isn't for everyone. It's easy to get angry at something like it being an overall very popular show. But what I see in RWBY isn't a soulless sell-out made to pander to an audience to bring in the cash. I see a passion project that became something bigger, and is continuing to get bigger. For that, I respect it. The show has me invested enough to be excited for Volume 4, and when it comes, I hope it keeps me invested.

Whether you'll get invested in RWBY, I can't say. What I can say is that the show has evolved from what it used to be, and that's one of the best things that can happen to any anime.

All I can say is give the show a shot, and if you're patient enough to sit through the show's flaws and its set-up, you'll definitely be rewarded for it.

manfestival

Is arslan a good show? Many shows nowadays are easier to stomach(looking at you noragami arogato whatever) because they are 12 episodes but 26 episodes has to be a good time to really be invested in

Narag

Is arslan a good show? Many shows nowadays are easier to stomach(looking at you noragami arogato whatever) because they are 12 episodes but 26 episodes has to be a good time to really be invested in

May wait to see as I think it's being continued this year.

I was ready to hate RWBY but I ended up really enjoying the first 2 seasons. I have to finish S3.

So far, the choreography took a dip on the 3rd season but that cant be helped.

You can do better. If you want a recent fantasy show with some action, I would suggest looking at Yona of the Dawn.

Its pretty good though it will b e continued later, the source material is coming to an end so I wonder if the anime will ever plan to adapt the whole novel franchise.

manfestival

May wait to see as I think it's being continued this year.

You can do better. If you want a recent fantasy show with some action, I would suggest looking at Yona of the Dawn.

Its pretty good though it will b e continued later, the source material is coming to an end so I wonder if the anime will ever plan to adapt the whole novel franchise.

So the gist is that this is a show based on an ongoing anime and its better that I just wait for the next season to come out? I mean I am looking for something more medieval based. It doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy. Though i do love me some record of lodoss war.

Line_HTX

How was Legend of Arslan received? Didn't know there would be a second season. Maybe have a 52 episode series, I haven't seen something of that length in forever.

So the gist is that this is a show based on an ongoing anime and its better that I just wait for the next season to come out? I mean I am looking for something more medieval based. It doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy. Though i do love me some record of lodoss war.

If you're looking for something with a vaguely medieval setting, you can try Garo the Animation, which is set in a fantasy kingdom inspired by medieval Europe, or perhaps Maria the Virgin Witch, which is set in actual medieval Europe, albeit with fantasy elements.

A Black Falcon, guy who used to post here with gigantic posts on harem LN series

Ah, him. Yeah I remember his posts.

I couldn't really help it this time around though. I didn't mean to say that RWBY is as good as something like Hyouka, or anything. I just wanted to elaborate on the fact that there was a lot more to the show than I expected.

How was Legend of Arslan received? Didn't know there would be a second season. Maybe have a 52 episode series, I haven't seen something of that length in forever.

Game anime have been reaching the over 48 episode mark (Vanguard, herobank, etc), and sports series like Ace of Diamond.

The manga sales of Arslan had shot up and done well over the course of its anime. Volumes reached over 550K a volume or more.

Arslan is one of those shows that I am so mixed on, I can't recommend it to other people. For everything I like about it, there' something I dislike. I have to wait and see what the next season entails.

Though I will say, if you can't handle bad CGI, Arslan is definitely not for you.
s1W6BsK.jpg

Lot of twins in this universe.

Sölf

Arslan was probably my favorite anime in that season. It felt like the Fire Emblem anime I never got. ;___;
I am eager to see how far the series will progress, given the source material.

Sterok

Aikatsu 172

In hindsight DreAca only ever became relevant because Ichigo took them seriously. Which only happened because Aoi took them seriously. Which only happened because Aoi was blindsided by Seira's new techniques and Orihime treating it as a big deal. So it's Orihime's fault for creating her worst rival. Well I suppose it worked out in the long run, since they really only now come out when Ichigo or Otome have an agenda. But they have a secret weapon. Noelle is cute, Seira's sister, favored by the headmistress, and has the press in her pockets. She's going places. And Raichi needs to go for someone he can get. Mikuru's song didn't hold up as well as I thought, but DreAca's were still pretty good even compared to the newer dances. Next time, Shion lives.

Lautaro

Schwarzesmarken 07

This ending of this episode provides a good reason for NOT fucking your sister while being in love with her replacement and another woman. Bad shit always happens after you fuck a sibling. Theodor is a dumbfuck.

Haha, I laughed my ass when I found he actually banged her. He just needs to start banging the rest of the harem and he will be my hero.

Dimension W

Nooo, anything but Rapa Nui!!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
RWBY: Volumes 1-3
While they all get some development, it's nowhere near as much as I've seen it in other much better shows. But the good thing is, when it comes to anime, "some development" is still a lot more than many other shows can say. The show doesn't back out on any choices it makes. Where the show is at now, it isn't joking around with anything.
I just really don't know what you're talking about. None of the characters in RWBY really feel fully formed, and there's a missing element of humanity and emotion to the entire series. I think you are substantially undercutting what is accomplished in the anime industry, and even in just this season there's more than a handful of titles that build their characters more in a single episode than RWBY's been able to accomplish with three seasons.

If we define RWBY as a "passion project"...what does that even mean? The creator's biggest passion was making Dead or Alive characters fight Final Fantasy characters. Eventually he wound up working with a company founded on making Halo machinima, and after years of working on that the opportunity to monetize an original property came about. Faced with creating original content almost every piece of RWBY is ripped from somewhere else, even on the most conceptual level, and often with little understanding to the meaning or use of the source material. If someone's passion project is an awkward mix of Harry Potter, Grimm fairy tales, and anime voiced by their favorite cosplay stars like Jessica Nigri that doesn't really mean very much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom