• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

So today is Cat Day because 22/2 can be read as nyan nyan nyan.

bFtYeE6.png

Nekopara marathon day?

Nekopara marathon day.

White Album Episode 12

So I've really come around to like this show. Mainly because at this point you know everything is about to blow up. The reveal of the relation between to characters I never would've even though about, the descent into pure hatred and madness towards the MC by his "best friend", and the entangling trysts and romances that have ensnared the MC's heart have crafted something truly extraordinary. The season finale is gonna something else.

Cornbread78

IBM I guess

White Album Episode 12

So I've really come around to like this show. Mainly because at this point you know everything is about to blow up. The reveal of the relation between to characters I never would've even though about, the descent into pure hatred and madness towards the MC by his "best friend", and the entangling trysts and romances that have ensnared the MC's heart have crafted something truly extraordinary. The season finale is gonna something else.

I watched WA2 already, but man, have I missed some fun with the original WA? Sounds like ore craziness going on!

FTR, I'm still bitter at the ending of WA2. That fu(king ending.... uugghh..

I watched WA2 already, but man, have I missed some fun with the original WA? Sounds like ore craziness going on!

FTR, I'm still bitter at the ending of WA2. That fu(king ending.... uugghh..

Yeah I know. White Album 2 was a crazy ride. The ending is bittersweet but at least reading the sequel visual novel helped ease the pain.

White Album 1 though is really intense though. The characters can be stupid and unlikable at times but the overall drama just keeps building and building to crazy heights.

Cornbread78

Ha ha ha ha. I'm out. I can't. I can't.

You can't walk away now...

58AyPXk.gif

Yeah I know. White Album 2 was a crazy ride. The ending is bittersweet but at least reading the sequel visual novel helped ease the pain.

White Album 1 though is really intense though. The characters can be stupid and unlikable at times but the overall drama just keeps building and building to crazy heights.

I heard the MC is a real man-whore, so that alone might be worth the watch compared to all these "ooh she touched me, I'm soooo embarrassed" MCs out there.

So, Let's Watches are pretty much dead, aren't they?

It's been almost a month since the last post in the Code:Breaker thread.

Or did a new one start up that I missed?

JulianImp

Durarara x2 ketsu 31
I love it when Shizuo play big part in it. It's been too long!
Shizuo getting hit by a bulldozer and he shrug it off like it's nothing.
I guess this is it for Shizuo and Izaya, no more kidding around. They both ready to kill each other.

I lost it when the guards were all freaked out that "he" was coming, and next thing we see is Shizuo pedalling on Celty's steed (turned bycicle) as its bell rings.

The increased action and tension's very welcome, since the series had gotten relatively dull as of late when it had to go and lay the foundations for all the different plot threads that'd be coming together for the climax. It's interesting to see how much Shizuo has grown throughout the show, and I guess his now calm rage is more fitting for drama than back when he'd snap in the blink of an eye, which had made his character into a mostly comical one.

Cornbread stopped doing them for now. I think we need a bunch of series planned out that people are actually going to watch before it comes back.

Cornbread78

I stopped them for the time being since there really wasn't anyone participating in it. I'll revisit it later once we find something that more people are going to participate in, but....

Cornbread stopped doing them for now. I think we need a bunch of series planned out that people are actually going to watch before it comes back.

yup.

It was always good to see non-AnimeGAF members jumping into the fun as some just don't feel comfortable in this thread, but it's finding a good balance between community members and non-community members that is tough.

Snow White with the Red Hair Episode 19 Wave of Determination

Will Mihaya remain a main cast member?
OBI better come back, please!

Raj and Obi had the best development this arc, not so much for everyone else. I just hope Raj gets to stick around too. Maybe she can keep visiting him a whole lot.

JulianImp

Yeah, this was one of my concerns. We had gotten a couple meh shows in a row, which made me less likely to watch the next one until I ended up dropping let's watches altogether. Suggestions were also very limited, meaning we got to sit through stuff such as... well, whatever Sunday Without God was supposed to be.

I'd rather make it about lesser-known but still well-received shows, since every time we hit a dud it felt like we lost more and more people, and then there were none.

Cornbread78

Yeah, this was one of my concerns. We had gotten a couple meh shows in a row, which made me less likely to watch the next one until I ended up dropping let's watches altogether. Suggestions were also very limited, meaning we got to sit through stuff such as... well, whatever Sunday Without God was supposed to be.

I'd rather make it about lesser-known but still well-received shows, since every time we hit a dud it felt like we lost more and more people, and then there were none.

I wouldn't even mind doing more popular shows, I was kind of surprised how many hadn't seen Mirai Nikki, lol.

If you guys come up with some shows and we can get some guaranteed participants, I'd be more than happy to put it together again, but I don't like people feeling lonely in the thread, lol.

Russ T

Banned
Note also that I included the qualifier of "very base" in my original post. I do not mean to condemn toilet humor as a whole (though I tend not to be fond of it in general), but merely when it becomes too exaggerated and emphasized. Sex and Violence with Machspeed, as well as the first episode of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, would be perfect examples of the sort of thing I am talking about.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I'm not saying that expressing negative emotions is bad in itself. In fact, I do find too much positivity, when expressed superficially, grating as well. That is my main problem with Aria the Animation, in which it feels like any sad or painful emotions have been forcefully eradicated and the world feels maudlin and cheaply sentimental to an insulting degree. I am a big fan of Flowers of Evil, an anime which showcases ugliness both visually and psychologically. But I do think one has to be careful about "embracing" negativity. As someone who has struggled with depression for most of my life, there are times when I've watched/listened/read things that have increased my depression and encouraged my reliance on self-destructive thinking patterns. On the other hand, there have been times where I've experienced some work of art that has helped lift me out of depression, pulling me out of myself and causing me to become aware of the beauty in the world and people around me. That is why I believe so strongly in the power of art, and believe that it should not be wielded without consideration of its potential impact on its audience.

Thanks for further clarifying! I'm pretty much on board with your thought train, then. I'm in a similar boat re: depression. Sometimes art can make it worse, and sometimes it can make it better. Art is absolutely a powerful thing, and I think that that power is far too often disregarded in the hardcore fandoms of this or that medium. I don't know if I'd say it's bad to appreciate things without doing a deep dive into their meanings, or lack thereof, but I do think it's doing those things a disservice to not give them more attention. Pondering why something does or does not work for me has gone a long way in helping me better identify the things I really love. Of course sometimes I watch some seriously trashy shit because I just want to unwind, and I think that's okay, too.

At this point I'm rambling, so seems like a good point to end this post!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 186

Right, well, so not a lot to this one as the episode is centered around the question of who the hell Chibi-Chibi is and make for some speculation but nothing is solid. If I recall correctly the backstory of Chibi-Chibi was one of those things that was heavily re-written from the manga since her true nature was not learned until the very end. Anyway, this is mainly a comedy episode and I do have to say the comedy is back to being on point again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Stars: Episode 187

Yea, you can tell we have hit the flabby middle portion of a Sailor Moon arc where they are just busting out random ideas to fill out the episode count though I am surprised it took them this look to get to the requisite Mean Girls styled fan group. While this episode was mostly fluff on the surface there was still a number of moves forward as more allusions ot Chibi-Chibi are made while Usagi picks up a new finisher which is actually functionally identical to her previous one but hey new stock footage. Also Sailor Aluminium Siren learns of the identity of Sailor Moon and postulates that maybe she might actually carry a true star seed.

I stopped them for the time being since there really wasn't anyone participating in it. I'll revisit it later once we find something that more people are going to participate in, but....

I feel like that's going to be difficult from now on considering the shows that were chosen for the last few. Future Diary, Rozen Maiden 2004, etc.

Doing more popular shows is probably going to be difficult as well. Because then we have the issue of people in the thread going wink wing nudge nudge at everybody (I was guilty of this myself in the Samurai Flamenco thread).

What we need are shows that have a particular hook to them. Stuff that people usually wouldn't expect. Which is why I feel that Heroman would be a good choice. It's an anime based off of a manga by Stan Lee. His name being in the thread title alone would be bound to get a few participants.

Kino's Journey would also be a good choice. It's a genuinely well-written and very atmospheric-feeling show that a lot of people are unaware of. It's one of the very few great LN adaptations out there.

Both of those shows I feel would attract more than a few watchers.

pbayne

I feel like that's going to be difficult from now on considering the shows that were chosen for the last few. Future Diary, Rozen Maiden 2004, etc.

Doing more popular shows is probably going to be difficult as well. Because then we have the issue of people in the thread going wink wing nudge nudge at everybody (I was guilty of this myself in the Samurai Flamenco thread).

What we need are shows that have a particular hook to them. Stuff that people usually wouldn't expect. Which is why I feel that Heroman would be a good choice. It's an anime based off of a manga by Stan Lee. His name being in the thread title alone would be bound to get a few participants.

Kino's Journey would also be a good choice. It's a genuinely well-written and very atmospheric-feeling show that a lot of people are unaware of. It's one of the very few great LN adaptations out there.

Thats a great shout(Kino) for a Lets Watch since every individual episode has enough material for a lot of discussion and interpretation.

Or try something older or shorter like Detroit Metal City or the Patlabor OVAs. I think a lot of people who don't watch much anime are nervous to commit to 24/25 episode series.

That Psycho Pass game is making its way over to us in the Fall. Anyone got the word on the streets in Japan about this one? I'd be in if it's more of what we got in season 1 and the movie

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Battle Tendency

I've enjoyed my time with Battle Tendency quite a bit. Joseph Joestar was certainly a fresh wind after the rather dull Jonathan. The setting remains fairly strong as there's little anime taking place outside of Japan or some fantasy world and the timelines and bizarre takes on other countries are rather fun. Good to see us Germans so authentically represented by Rudolf von Stroheim lmao. Art direction remains a strong point of this series, of course.

I'm indifferent about the battle shonen-ish nature of the show though. I found myself less and less engaged towards the end for several reasons.

Hamon as a martial arts form seems to be rather basic with very few facets to it. It's basically just magic with a few rules to it, ones that don't seem to be particularly tight either. HxH's 'Nen' had more complex and interesting ruleset. So, Hamon felt played out by the end and the fights also became formulaic. It was mostly a constant barrage of "hah, I actually outsmarted you just now!" Sure, was still kinda fun to watch, but required turning your brain off a bit.

The villains, the 'Pillar Men', were initially intriguing but there really wasn't a lot to them. They just ended up feeling like generic boss characters without an interesting goal to follow. Like, great, Kars wants the stone to become the most powerful. That's...nice I guess?

There was generally too little interesting story and too few engaging themes that keep me invested in the actual fighting and results. I've seen dime in a dozen stories that deal with people wanting to be the most powerful or what it means to be an honorable fighter. Since this had no fresh or more nuanced takes on these matters I found most of the talk between Wammu, JoJo and Ceasar concerning the latter topic to be redundant and boring. I did like the background stories for the characters though and it's particularly nice to have this Joestar bloodline and others develop.

Powercreep was also apparent with how worthless the average mask-created vampire felt already. It wasn't a problem for this arc really but I have to wonder how to plays into the upcoming content.

With all that said, it's still the first time after seeing the HxH Yorknew City arc that I was liking a battle shonen this much. Also, thumbs up for the OP and ED (and the nice segues into it).

8/10

Gonna just continue with Stardust Crusaders.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-Hime ep.19
vBJ1CS4.gif

Wow, OK, that was a really, really good episode that I wasn't really expecting to be well written. I was expecting a $hit-ton of fluff, but they kept some decent fighting scenes and a little edge to the tone. Good stuff. Also, that reveal at the end
He really is her father!!!!!
looks like the pieces are about to fall into place with her backstory. I just hope there are no more stupid hijinks in the last few episodes, but now that were back on track I'll give this one a "hell yeah" for quality. Also, Prince Raj took some man-pills for this episode again and really grew a lot. Character development is actually great to see once in awhile, even if it isn't the main ship. Also, When are they going to finish the Kiki x Mitsuhide ship; that sword scene was great? Only have 5 episodes left!

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Battle Tendency

I've enjoyed my time with Battle Tendency quite a bit. Joseph Joestar was certainly a fresh wind after the rather dull Jonathan. The setting remains fairly strong as there's little anime taking place outside of Japan or some fantasy world and the timelines and bizarre takes on other countries are rather fun. Good to see us Germans so authentically represented by Rudolf von Stroheim lmao. Art direction remains a strong point of this series, of course.

I'm indifferent about the battle shonen-ish nature of the show though. I found myself less and less engaged towards the end for several reasons.

Hamon as a martial arts form seems to be rather basic with very few facets to it. It's basically just magic with a few rules to it, ones that don't seem to be particularly tight either. HxH's 'Nen' had more complex and interesting ruleset. So, Hamon felt played out by the end and the fights also became formulaic. It was mostly a constant barrage of "hah, I actually outsmarted you just now!" Sure, was still kinda fun to watch, but required turning your brain off a bit.

The villains, the 'Pillar Men', were initially intriguing but there really wasn't a lot to them. They just ended up feeling like generic boss characters without an interesting goal to follow. Like, great, Kars wants the stone to become the most powerful. That's...nice I guess?

There was generally too little interesting story and too few engaging themes that keep me invested in the actual fighting and results. I've seen dime in a dozen stories that deal with people wanting to be the most powerful or what it means to be an honorable fighter. Since this had no fresh or more nuanced takes on these matters I found most of the talk between Wammu, JoJo and Ceasar concerning the latter topic to be redundant and boring. I did like the background stories for the characters though and it's particularly nice to have this Joestar bloodline and others develop.

Powercreep was also apparent with how worthless the average mask-created vampire felt already. It wasn't a problem for this arc really but I have to wonder how to plays into the upcoming content.

With all that said, it's still the first time after seeing the HxH Yorknew City arc that I was liking a battle shonen this much. Also, thumbs up for the OP and ED (and the nice segues into it).

8/10

Gonna just continue with Stardust Crusaders.

You'll enjoy Stardust Crusaders a lot more then. There are little to no appearances of Hamon from this point onwards since they get replaced with Stands.

JulianImp

Was Heroman that show where a kid's toy robot suddenly got hit by some alien thing and sprung to life? Because I watched the first episode during my cousin and I's CR random anime dinnertime, and it looked really underwhelming.

Better-known shows would probably warrant stricter rules to avoid drive-by spoilers, but I didn't mean that, but more like watching more shows like Humanity has Declined and less Sunday Without God.

Was Heroman that show where a kid's toy robot suddenly got hit by some alien thing and sprung to life? Because I watched the first episode during my cousin and I's CR random anime dinnertime, and it looked really underwhelming.

Better-known shows would probably warrant stricter rules to avoid drive-by spoilers, but I didn't mean that, but more like watching more shows like Humanity has Declined and less Sunday Without God.

I won't deny that Heroman as a whole isn't one of the all time great mecha shows, but for what it was, it was enjoyable and innocent enough.

I think it's good for a Let's Watch because the Stan Lee name attachment should attract a lot of the Marvel crowd, thus making the thread get some activity.

Cornbread78

Thats a great shout(Kino) for a Lets Watch since every individual episode has enough material for a lot of discussion and interpretation.

Or try something older or shorter like Detroit Metal City or the Patlabor OVAs. I think a lot of people who don't watch much anime are nervous to commit to 24/25 episode series.

Kino's Journey would be great, but is it even available for streaming on Funi or Crunchy?

We just need to make sure people are actually going to join in before I put it all together again. If we can choose and announce three ahead of time, I can put them all in the thread as "upcoming" or something. But again, both community and non-community members need to join in and contribute, or else it's a waste of time.

Kino's Journey would be great, but is it even available for streaming on Funi or Crunchy?

We just need to make sure people are actually going to join in before I put it all together again. If we can choose and announce three ahead of time, I can put them all in the thread as "upcoming" or something. But again, both community and non-community members need to join in and contribute, or else it's a waste of time.

Kino's Journey is available on Hulu as of now. So only US watchers would be able to join in I'm afraid. It used to be available on Anime Network, which has since had an overhaul recently with some of their shows removed and a mandatory subscription required to watch past episode 1 of anything.

That's how it is for me, anyway.

Cornbread78

Kino's Journey is available on Hulu as of now. So only US watchers would be able to join in I'm afraid. It used to be available on Anime Network, which has since had an overhaul recently with some of their shows removed and a mandatory subscription required to watch past episode 1 of anything.

That's how it is for me, anyway.

uuggh, see, this is the 2nd problem...

Foe everyone interested:

Well, do you think we could get at least 5-10 people to watch any of the below:

Eden of The East

The Tatami Galaxy

Natsume's Book of Friends

Baccano!

Samurai Champloo

Darker than Black

When They Cry

Silver Spoon

Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜

Black Butler

pbayne

It would be funny to watch people watching Eden of the East. That show jumps the shark so hard and often its actually amazing in a way.

I guess the problem with a lot of the shows on that list is that a lot of people here might have seen them and then are not really interested in a re-watch.

It is hard to think of a show that people who watch a lot of anime haven't seen and will appeal to others who don't necessarily watch a lot.

tuffy

I just went through all of Darker Than Black not too long ago and it's still an enjoyable action series. I remember Samurai Champloo was fun back in the day and it's sitting on my rewatch pile. I've been less inclined to go back to Baccano! because it's the sort of show where it helps to have one of those character relationship diagrams to keep track of everybody.

uuggh, see, this is the 2nd problem...

Foe everyone interested:

Well, do you think we could get at least 5-10 people to watch any of the below:

Eden of The East

The Tatami Galaxy

Natsume's Book of Friends

Baccano!

Samurai Champloo

Darker than Black

When They Cry

Silver Spoon

Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜

Black Butler

Aren't those two unavailable anywhere now since Funimation lost the license? Because if I can watch Darker then black I'm in. Also I know it's not soon but Black butler book of circus gets released in dubbed in may I believe. Would that be a good group watch?

pbayne

I just went through all of Darker Than Black not too long ago and it's still an enjoyable action series. I remember Samurai Champloo was fun back in the day and it's sitting on my rewatch pile. I've been less inclined to go back to Baccano! because it's the sort of show where it helps to have one of those character relationship diagrams to keep track of everybody.

Isn't season 2 of Darker than Black good? I feel like im alone on that sentiment a lot of the time.

tuffy

Isn't season 2 of Darker than Black good? I feel like im alone on that sentiment a lot of the time.
I liked it just fine since it has an ongoing narrative, there's some actual character growth, and the action scenes are still very good. The biggest weakness of the first season is that although the two-parters would show something about the world or the main cast, everything's pretty much back to the status quo after each one until the final arc at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom