• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Luck & Logic artists stuff, some of them are really good
CZx7vEoWQAAPnsD.jpg:large
Cb2VIkeW0AA57xh.png:large

CZy8wl7UMAE32ok.jpg:large
CZyGnUFXEAAkh3Z.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/hagiya_k/status/692635989315969024/photo/1
https://twitter.com/YukieTAJIMA
https://twitter.com/yaittti/status/692576453955850240

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire ep.1-3
aD4mAs7.gif

OK, this is some monster of the week craziness right here, but I guess we need to meet the harem as the hijinks start to build up. lots of useless panty shots as they will in all the otaku checkboxes with the harem girls. This is trash, but it's been pretty fun so far.

Line_HTX

Haven't been to Toonami in a long while. Shame on you, Kiritobread!

:p

Koyomimonogatari 07

Tsukihi has the most hairstyle changes yet the least character development. What the hell Nisio? I'm gonna call this phenomenon the "Inverse Hanekawa."

Now THAT'S how you do twintails, and not like others, ahem. Those giant eyes in that close up though look like "You don't say?" hahaha

Mailbox

Rosario + Vampire ep.1-3
aD4mAs7.gif

OK, this is some monster of the week craziness right here, but I guess we need to meet the harem as the hijinks start to build up. lots of useless panty shots as they will in all the otaku checkboxes with the harem girls. This is trash, but it's been pretty fun so far.

I warned you.
Its kinda boring, so don't expect much better (though there are 1 or 2 episodes I enjoyed)

pbayne

I mean there are deaths obviously but I can't remember anything too explicit or gory or anything that warrants an R-rating really.

Maybe they're gonna show the Death Note being used for some more gruesome stuff. SAW levels of death methods incoming.

brawly

Terra Formers 1

Episode went by quickly, always a good sign. Digging the gore. Only the bloom and gloomy look as a bit disappointing.

Ojamajo Doremi 51 (end):
Well, this was a fantastic way to end the first season of the show. The final run of episodes here was a great arc for Onpu. In Episode 48 she finally takes responsibility for her actions. Then in Episode 49 she uses her magic to help someone, and sets into motion the chain of events that leads to this, while also simultaneously realizing that she can rely on Doremi and the others for help. Then in Episode 50 she joins Doremi and the others in saving a life even if it means failing the exam, and finally here she makes a selfless decision that nearly costs her everything. It's a fantastic arc, taking a selfish character and gradually having her step up and become a good person.

And then all of that leads into the rest of the events of this episode.
Doremi and her friends have to make the decision to give up their magic in exchange for saving Onpu, something that can't be done lightly, but they don't complain about it. Majo Rika also has to choose to give up on returning to her original form because she wants to support the group in their decision.
The result is a fantastic episode, and a great way to end the series on. If there were no other seasons, this alone would still put it up there as an all-time great anime.

There are very few anime that can be as consistently touching, heartfelt and genuine as Ojamajo Doremi is. The show possess a certain thoughtfulness in its writing that goes beyond what almost any other series possess. Pretty much all of the characters are extraordinarily well-developed, not just the main cast, but the entire class. The show possess the sort of genuine emotion and world-view that kids shows really excel at.

Why is Ojamajo Doremi better than your favorite anime?

1. The characters:

There are no bad characters in this show. Everyone, from the main characters, to their family members, to the rest of the class, to even just characters of the day, are extraordinarily well developed. They all have defined personalities, they all grow, and they all feel genuine. As a result of this, the show can do episodes that rely on your attachment to the characters already existing. The stories are able to get better and better because you already love the whole cast. Many aspects of the final episodes only work because you have 50 episodes of caring invested already.

I would say that most of the secondary characters are better developed than many shows main characters are.

2. The backgrounds:

There's only so much to say here. This was Toei when they were at the very top of their game in terms of background art, and Doremi almost never disappoints. The show has such a gorgeous art style, that combined with a great color palette, makes for some truly breathtaking backgrounds. Pretty much any scene in the show can come alive just based on the gorgeous scenery.

3. The expressions:

I don't know, some guy named Umakoshi or something?

Seriously, the facial expressions in Ojamajo Doremi are out of this world. Even if no other element of the show was particularly memorable, it would still be a pretty good show on the strength of those alone. They give so much personality to the characters, and bring a number of scenes to life.

4. The music:
It's amazing
No really
I mean it
This show has amazing music

If you haven't watched Ojamajo Doremi yet, what are you waiting for? Seriously, I would say that this show should be considered essential viewing for anyone who is a fan of anime. It's just such a consistently strong show that it's really something everyone should experience. There are few shows of this caliber out there. This would be something that I have no problems saying elevates the medium to the highest possible level.

Talking about G Gundam, would you recommend the sub or dub?

Both are good, but the dub has one of the greatest delivered lines in anime history.

I am speaking, of course, of "It's just like my dream. EXCEPT THIS TIME, I'M A WONDERBUG!"

Aki-at

Grimgar - 7

The slow build up in both their battle experience and relationships is great, it's just a shame that 13 episodes isn't enough for me to be able to really recommend it. But still what it does so far has been great to watch. Seeing Mary slowly opening up to the rest of the group, the group getting ready to
get revenge on the goblins
and Haruhiro developing into a more competent leader than Manato makes for an enjoyable show.

It's just a shame the thing I like about the show is what is going to go against it when it finishes, a feeling of "Is that it?" Might change my mind in the unlikely scenario a second season happens. Oh yeah, episode had my favourite piece of artwork so far with Haruhiro and Mary back to back, who's done the illustrations for the ed/op?

Dimension W - 7

Well after last week's episode it's great to have an episode that is pushing the plot forward. Kyoma's past is tragic and gruesome
someone dying is one thing but having their head blown off too :(
with some big events coming up on Easter Island too. My only real worry is that the
Collector's introduced in this episode are all going to be dead within a few minutes in the next! Oh yeah of course Steve Jobs is the ruler of the Earth, I wonder if Bill Gates had any anime appearances like this in the 90s haha.

Quasar

Rosario + Vampire ep.1-3
aD4mAs7.gif

Yeah. They take a few episodes to gather the party before moving onto some more substantial stuff.

KanameYuuki

This week episode of Sekkou Boys wasn't as funny but the fact Keiji Fujiwara was there made it wort it, He is without a doubt my favorite voice actor.

Steins Gate 1-3

Finally giving this a go. I have the utmost faith that this will be a good show but these first few episodes were pretty boring to get through.

I knew nothing about this show aside from the fact that its about time travel. It seems like Kurisu is the only sane human being on the cast. The art style is also a little weird sometimes as some characters look too lanky.

I guess Okarin is what you would call a chuuni?

duckroll

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode 7

Pretty funny training episode. The Saisei training grounds are pretty crazy. We even got hot ping pong action. I wish the series focused more on the girl though. I would have liked to see the episode show more of her learning to be a better Relationer, even though the training antics with the guys were funny. The one thing I dislike about BL themed storylines is that the female lead is always so invisible...

ibyea

Banned
Steins Gate 1-3

Finally giving this a go. I have the utmost faith that this will be a good show but these first few episodes were pretty boring to get through.

I knew nothing about this show aside from the fact that its about time travel. It seems like Kurisu is the only sane human being on the cast. The art style is also a little weird sometimes as some characters look too lanky.

I guess Okarin is what you would call a chuuni?

The setup for this show is very long, but unfortunately it's very necessary. Please be patient until things kick off!

You know, I wish more anime was set in space.

All we have right now is Gundam.

And maybe Kiznaiver next season, with it being a Trigger show.

I guess Terra Formars sort of also counts, which might be the most depressing thing I've realized all day.

Prince of Stride Alternative - Episode 7

Pretty funny training episode. The Saisei training grounds are pretty crazy. We even got hot ping pong action. I wish the series focused more on the girl though. I would have liked to see the episode show more of her learning to be a better Relationer, even though the training antics with the guys were funny. The one thing I dislike about BL themed storylines is that the female lead is always so invisible...

The anime staff have actually stated that they intentionally changed the lead character from Sakurai, as it was in the game, to Riku in the anime. So giving Sakurai attention doesn't seem to be high on their priority list.

You know, I wish more anime was set in space.

Sounds like you need Wish Upon the Pleiades.

And maybe Kiznaiver next season, with it being a Trigger show.

Nope, that's set in Japan (barring any unrevealed setting shifts). You're likely to have better luck with Space Patrol Luluco.

Just T

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 7

This episode was a bit too melodramatic on Misaki's side, even though it's understandable why she is feeling a little inadequate after Asuka's performance but still didn't expect it to play out like that. And the teacher's side of things seemed foolish.

Also Masaya barley has any presence, yet he is suppose to be the MC, at least I think. He's suppose to be the coach too but he hasn't helped much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom