• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Aren't those two unavailable anywhere now since Funimation lost the license? Because if I can watch Darker then black I'm in. Also I know it's not soon but Black butler book of circus gets released in dubbed in may I believe. Would that be a good group watch?

So we are down to:
- Eden of The East
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Samurai Champloo
- When They Cry
- Silver Spoon
- Phantom 〜Requiem for the Phantom〜
- Black Butler

* Darker than Black Season 2 is still available on the Funi app, and Hulu, but I do not see Season 1 on either.... (removed)

* I forgot Natsume had three seasons..... (removed)

Osomatsu 20

Cb13CLNVIAIpEp0.jpg:large

Has Osomatsu-san gone too far?

So we are down to:
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Samurai Champloo

These two are definitely good enough for a thread.

Looking for shows that are even more popular than that isn't a bad idea later down the line. For example, for every guy that has already seen Cowboy Bebop there's probably someone who never got around to watching it (not saying that we should watch that show but it's just an example lol). Only do it after we run out of good, lesser popular shows.

Champloo is airing on Toonami right now...so probably don't go with that?

Oh it is lol? I'm not following that. Guess doing it right now isn't that smart.

Mailbox

Crap, shows the last time I visited the thread...

So we are down to:

- Eden of The East
- The Tatami Galaxy
- When They Cry
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

of those, i'd go with Silver spoon.

-Haven't watched Eden of the east yet, so idk about that one
-Tatami Galaxy isn't something you watch as a group imo, its something you binge.
-When they cry requires season 2 due to question arcs and answer arcs, so its not lets watch material
haven't watched the other 2.

Silver spoon is a good slice of life educational anime.

pbayne

So we are down to:

- Eden of The East
- The Tatami Galaxy
- When They Cry
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

Remember with Eden of the East you need the two follow-up movies to complete the story.

Cornbread78

of those, i'd go with Silver spoon.

-Haven't watched Eden of the east yet, so idk about that one
-Tatami Galaxy isn't something you watch as a group imo, its something you binge.
-When they cry requires season 2 due to question arcs and answer arcs, so its not lets watch material
haven't watched the other 2.

Silver spoon is a good slice of life educational anime.

Remember with Eden of the East you need the two follow-up movies to complete the story.

Now we are down to:
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

Russ T

Banned
On that list, my two favorites are Tatami Galaxy and Silver Spoon, but I think Tatami Galaxy would make for a strange group watch? Might be good, I dunno.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Now we are down to:
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

Tatami Galaxy is the more interesting anime, Silver Spoon is the more immediately pleasing anime.

(Disclaimer - I was mostly lukewarm on both shows)

Ascheroth

So we are down to:

- Eden of The East
- The Tatami Galaxy
- When They Cry
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

When They Cry has 50 episodes + 5 OVAs all together so it's probably too long for a Let's watch.

Out of the rest I've only seen Silver Spoon and a couple of episodes from Requiem for the Phantom, so I'd say go with Silver Spoon. It also has 2 seasons but only 22 episodes all in all.

Cornbread78

Why isn't Heroman on this list? :|

Metroid already answered this....LOL

I would watch the Tatami Galaxy

Tatami Galaxy is the more interesting anime, Silver Spoon is the more immediately pleasing anime.
(Disclaimer - I was mostly lukewarm on both shows)

I would actually watch Tatami Galaxy.
I thought the idea was to watch good shows

- The Tatami Galaxy
- Silver Spoon

Looks like we would be down to these, now who from here would be in for either of these shows?

Also, as a side question, are there really 50 episodes of Code Gaess?

I'll have to back-burner the experience then. The only long anime I have on my list this year is G Gundam and I'm hesitant to start that one.

I can say with 100% certainty that you will enjoy G Gundam. I enjoy the romance aspect of it much more than I do with over half the shows I've watched.

You won't be disappointed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I alwasy thought G Gundam was pretty shitty. That being said G Gundam was my 4th Gundam series and I was exposed to Seed prior. Probably didn't help.

pbayne

I'll have to back-burner the experience then. The only long anime I have on my list this year is G Gundam and I'm hesitant to start that one.

Although, I started Cross Game and got so addicted that I marathoned it in two weeks....

Damn I would have been all in for a Cross Game watch, looks right up my alley but I can never find the umph to watch it.

But yeah I agree it's too long for a group watch. 12-13 episodes is the perfect length.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Looks like we would be down to these, now who from here would be in for either of these shows?
This is easy though, if you were to choose for yourself - do you want something that is non-linear and abstract or something that is a straight forward slice of life story about a city kid learning how to farm because of daddy issues?

tuffy

G Gundam's a lot of fun. I like that it quickly abandons the usual Gundam "road trip" formula and settles down into distinct arcs with a clear overall problem to take care of - and a nested set of central mysteries to solve. But I suspect Imagawa's over-the-top style is an acquired taste, so one has to be in the mood for that sort of thing to really enjoy it to the fullest.

G Gundam's a lot of fun. I like that it quickly abandons the usual Gundam "road trip" formula and settles down into distinct arcs with a clear overall problem to take care of - and a nested set of central mysteries to solve. But I suspect Imagawa's over-the-top style is an acquired taste, so one has to be in the mood for that sort of thing to really enjoy it to the fullest.
The thing about G Gundam is that while I really love it, I can see why some people don't since it's not really a gundam series, but rather a super robot series pretending to be a gundam series. And you really need to be able to enjoy campiness to like g gundam

G Gundam is the one TV Gundam series (sans GBF) that isn't just a retread of UC in some form. So its obvious why some people like it and some don't. Even the elements G Gundam does use like the Char Clone are executed differently.

JulianImp

So we are down to:
- Eden of The East
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Samurai Champloo
- When They Cry
- Silver Spoon
- Black Butler

* Darker than Black Season 2 is still available on the Funi app, and Hulu, but I do not see Season 1 on either.... (removed)

* I forgot Natsume had three seasons..... (removed)

I think Tatami has fast dialogues that might detract from some people's enjoyment of the show.

Also, do you mean Higurashi: When they cry? It's a very good series, but I'm afraid it looking all cutesy and simple at first might put off some people from watching it in the first place. It also has more than two cours worth of episodes, so it might be too long for a let's watch. If it's Umineko, however, I'd recommend that you just don't, because the anime's incomplete and mangles several key plot points that make the mysteries unsolvable.

tuffy

The thing about G Gundam is that while I really love it, I can see why some people don't since it's not really a gundam series, but rather a super robot series pretending to be a gundam series. And you really need to be able to enjoy campiness to like g gundam
G Gundam does hit a lot of the traditional Gundam themes, at least. An aversion to large-scale war is baked right into the premise, but it also plays heavily to the colonies vs. Earth conflict along with environmentalism as a key motivator. So in some respects it's more Gundam-like than other AUs that came after it.

G Gundam is the one TV Gundam series (sans GBF) that isn't just a retread of UC in some form. So its obvious why some people like it and some don't. Even the elements G Gundam does use like the Char Clone are executed differently.
G gundam basically takes everything that set gundam apart from other mecha shows of the time, and throws it out the window. Real robots? Nah. Exploring the idea of war? Nah wars been replaced by a mecha fighting tournament

Cornbread78

This is easy though, if you were to choose for yourself - do you want something that is non-linear and abstract or something that is a straight forward slice of life story about a city kid learning how to farm because of daddy issues?

You know, it doesn't matter either way as long as people participate and discuss. If nobody participates and nobody discusses it, there is no point to doing it as a group watch and we could just as BGBW to post a bi-weekly rec on the home page that nobody will see. (we should do this anyway and include different genres each week, even if they are trash)

Make sense?

G Gundam does hit a lot of the traditional Gundam themes, at least. An aversion to large-scale war is baked right into the premise, but it also plays heavily to the colonies vs. Earth conflict along with environmentalism as a key motivator. So in some respects it's more Gundam-like than other AUs that came after it.
The earth be colony conflict becomes increasingly irrelevant as it continues, and in general was never played up that much beyond a few episodes, most notably the first

jman2050

G gundam basically takes everything that set gundam apart from other mecha shows of the time, and throws it out the window. Real robots? Nah. Exploring the idea of war? Nah wars been replaced by a mecha fighting tournament

But that's exactly why it's good!

I wonder if there's truth to the idea that G Gundam is the Gundam for people (like me) who never really cared for Gundam in the first place.

The show starts basically with dude running away from the pressures of living at home and going to his standard track high school.

Hachiken's strained relationship with his parents certainly influenced his decision to attend an agricultural high school away from home, but he also failed the entrance exam for his first choice high school and specifically chose an agricultural school because he believed the academics would be easier there and thus put him in a better position to get into college. Reducing his character to "daddy issues" is too simplistic and shallow.

Exactly. G Gundam has quite a few of the usual Gundam tropes but executes them differently, something that a lot of the AU Gundams that came after it are very afraid to do.

tuffy

The earth be colony conflict becomes increasingly irrelevant as it continues, and in general was never played up that much beyond a few episodes, most notably the first
That the Earth in G Gundam has been turned into a low-class dumping ground and Gundam fighting arena is a key motivation for
the creation of the Devil/Dark Gundam
and why
Master Asia
takes the side he's on. It's a vital detail.

Talking about G Gundam, would you recommend the sub or dub?

I'd personally recommend it subbed, so you can get the real names for all the Gundams.

For example, Devil Gundam is renamed to Dark Gundam in the dub.

Do whatever floats your boat though, as both are generally fine overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom