• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of anime in space

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 015

HXuMCbS.jpg

So I start up this episode and am immediately blasted by Dvorak's Symphony of the New World 4th Movement (that's this) which got me hyped because its a hype movement and it just screams Space Opera. I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone use the entire piece because every other time I've seen it its just the first 2 minutes, understandably because that is the epic part. But I have to wonder why this piece in specific seems to be popular in Japan. Maybe I'm pulling it out of my ass but I remember it being in One Piece, Killer is Dead and uh...Bo-Bo-Bo I think?

The battle was cool too, but in the middle was a very, very abrupt scene transition. It really took me out of it.

It looks so weird to me that these statues are an idol group. Do they move at all?

Nope

Cornbread78

Rosario + Vampire ep.4-7
Well, we have a harem of three right now, but I know another is coming at some point in the future. Lots of fun stuff going on and the girls aren't annoying yet, so there's that.

Bahamut 07 The best of season.
Schwarzesmarken 07 It was pretty damn obvious she was going to do that at one point.
Grimgar 07 Eh
Aokana 07 Eh
Dagashi Kashi 06 Saya

Yu Yu Hakusho - 112 [End]

Ended up pretty much how I expected it to. Both storywise and execution. I did fear that with the short length of this last arc, that there were bound to be some cutbacks.
The handling of these were usually cleverly done so it didn't feel as much of a sting to miss them, but it still feels like a disappointment to not see the big events in action so to speak. This arc's main issue was the lack of time and not much Kuwabara!

That said the last couple of episodes provided some nice fights in both body and mind, especially Yusuke's. The direction of that episode was terrific.
It's a fitting stopping point for the show with a good amount of closure, yet still leaves it open enough in certain aspects to not feel like everything has been too nicely wrapped up.

-Overall thoughts-
(Required soundtrack for this segment)

Yu Yu Hakusho is a show with a lot of heart. It offers plenty of well written and memorable characters with more than meets the eye. Most of which with depth and unique pulls who will surprise you, make you laugh and relate.
The vast amount of cast can at times feel overbearing, and some characters brings slight annoyance but in the overall picture these will be minor issues. The story is often paced nicely and makes it easy to binge.
My biggest complaint about Yu Yu Hakusho is how it uses deaths of characters for temporary dramatic effect and obstacle progression. Multiple times. With practically no draw back. It ended up affecting me in not really caring in the end for certain dramatic moments.

Yu Yu Hakusho also have incredible amount of fights. No really, there's a lot of them. Despite the numbers of fights, many of them go beyond simple fist fighting, and the creativity and dialogue behind most of them manages to elevate it beyond that.
My biggest surprise and favorite part of this show has been on the production side. It is evident that lots of talented people have worked on this. I mentioned the vast amount of fights, but the real star is how they managed to make majority of them very stylish.
Not only the combat section is affected by the lush production. Lots of out of combat scenarios, be they flashbacks, monolouges or general dialouge can look experimentally unique.

Be it the shading, rich use of colors, camera work, effects, and strong direction, the staff has always managed to frequently surprise me with how good this show can look.
I feel that note alone should be a valid reason to experience Yu Yu Hakusho.

Hunter X Hunter 15

The recap of 14 was better directed than 14 itself. At any rate, I like the battle of wits that occurs in this part of the Hunter Exam and the episode did a good job of delivering on it. The Hisoka scenes did a great job of making him a terrifying figure (as if we needed more evidence of that at this point), though the goofy sound effects when the ninja came upon Hisoka and his friend playing cards were unnecessary.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 015

So I start up this episode and am immediately blasted by Dvorak's Symphony of the New World 4th Movement (that's this) which got me hyped because its a hype movement and it just screams Space Opera. I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone use the entire piece because every other time I've seen it its just the first 2 minutes, understandably because that is the epic part. But I have to wonder why this piece in specific seems to be popular in Japan. Maybe I'm pulling it out of my ass but I remember it being in One Piece, Killer is Dead and uh...Bo-Bo-Bo I think?

The symphony is pretty popular in general, though the famous second movement is the most popular. There's even a whole anime named after it!

Gundam IBO 20

the kids freaking out over the fish made me laugh so hard. I didn't expect Biscuit's reaction at all even after receiving his brother's message.

Sterok

Shirayukihime 19

That fight should've had a lot more blood and death. Raj continues to be cool. What a twist that I'm sure absolutely nobody was surprised by.

KanameYuuki

Well, this episode had Joseph Dio and AC/DC all present. So it's a good episode.

Oh crap I did not realize the gang was now reunited, JoJo sure has one of the best staff, new season cannot come soon enough : (

Has there been any news on Saber Marionette? like release date or anything? all I know is that it takes place after J to X.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
GATE episode 1 and 2
Well im liking this so far, even tho it will obviously turn into a harem later it has a much larger story going on and I like the characters so far, I will say all the political stuff is hilariuously unrealistic, for instance america is war hungry and want the other world resources, japan apparently cant take care of itself and every country knows it, and america is also not wanting to get involved despite being allies

Cornbread78

Bahamut ep.7
Kirito, I mean, Lux broke out his big black sword in front of Celes and really surprised her with his true power as he thrust the trust sword straight into the
Ragnarok
. Good episode overall, but that evil laugh at the end was sooo annoying. Remember the past lil' Lux, think hard..

Shirayuki 19

THAT TWIST AT THE END
not really lol.
Good episode, full of action. Also Raj has become a somewhat badass prince almost like Zen ahahah.

Gvitor

Grimgar 05-07

Still enjoying this a lot. I know people here aren't fans of the insert songs - and yes, there really are many of those -, but I liked all of them. It also helped a lot that, instead of the music being over dialogue, like, say, Xenoblade Chronicles X, it only pops up during quiet timelapse moments.

I like the new girl's design as well. Nice to see she's finally getting into the party.

Just T

Shirayuki-hime: 19

Nice episode, Raj stepped up and handled things, said it before but he has come a long way. Some decent action too and the little reunion with Zen and Shirayuki was sweet.

Koyomimonogatari: 7

This was a really good one, haven't watched the Platinum Disco op in a while. Lot of neat visuals in this one and I always like how creative they get with the books.

Sterok

No thanks. This shouldn't be that kind of show...

I was talking more on a logical level than what I wanted. This isn't an action show after all. But it did get kind of silly that apparently no one was significantly hurt when everyone is swinging around swords.

Cornbread78

Special A, ep.4-5
Good old school romcom stuff going on. Main ship is too busy being tsun tsun to each other to move on the relationship, buy good fun as they work into it very slowly.

Chindogg

So just so we're all clear, Raj is the best character in snow white.

Everyone needs to push Raj for summerslam.

Raj definitely has had the best development of the season, but I'll always root for Shirayuki.

Truth, well, as long as we're done with these stupid kidnappings, lol.

I don't mind them since outside of a huge war, there's not a whole lot to introduce conflict that isn't awful melodrama to the series. It's a classic fairy tale love story between a prince and his damsel who happens to be a very strong woman with their own goals and ambition.

The cynic in me should absolutely hate every aspect of this show but every now and then I just want to see two people be happy together. It's a big reason why I love Bakemonogatari episode 12 so much.

Cornbread78

You're gonna need to provide evidence that aren't tumblr gifs and Kirito and Asuna pictures to support that claim.

I seriously think people who love SAO just loved the first arc with the 3 or 4 episodes of Kirito and asuna being newlyweds

Nah, the story was really good overall, dispute some hiccups along the way. I love the variety of worlds, the intense battles, the love story within it, as well as the Sci-fi aspect, which was pretty cool stuff. I didn't go in jaded and came out of it extremely happy and there's a reason millions love it and it makes so much money.

duckroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom