• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Dagashi Kashi - Ep. 7

The series got boring and I have no reason to belive that it will every get more interesting.
Dropped.

Mongatari SS - Ep. 12
It's a .... Nadeko arc *sigh*
Yeah, let's get this over with asap.

Qurupeke

Mongatari SS - Ep. 12

s6yOtfj.png

But, really, it's a good arc. :( I recently rewatched this and I still love it.

Dimension W 08

I like how mysterious this island is, and that thanks to the previous episode, we know how Kyouma knows some of the places that they are at. The action was quite nice! And poor Mira continues to be called a piece of junk.

Jarmel

Banned
Fafner-(1-2)
Why the hell am I watching this? Well I sorta know the answer in that I'm curious about Xebec's production quality in the last decade and I had heard Exodus was fairly good. I hate hate hate Hiraiface so that had killed my interest prior but I was tired last night and couldn't go to sleep so decided to try it in a sleepy furor. I know I have better shows to watch so I'm not sure I'm going to finish this.

Well my first reaction is that this reminds me of Evangelion. The show takes place in a setting that isolated from the rest of a devastated world. The town just like Tokyo-3 has incorporated military defenses into the building structures and the civilians are trained to evacuate to shelters in case of an alien attack. The aliens themselves give off that abnormal design like Angels although not as 'inventive' as some of the more abstract Angel designs. The music itself also sounds similar to NGE.

The plot itself seems like the usual 'boy needs to fight in newly acquired robot to defend X'. There looks to be some possible political backstabbing in the future but whatever. The characters themselves aren't particularly engrossing or engaging either. In fact I'm having a hard time telling some of the characters apart, especially some of the older females.
201112301618183b3.jpg

Hirai truly is the worst character designer of all time.
What makes this worse is that a number of characters might have similar hair colors, as the hair colors are largely realistic, making it even harder to know who the fuck is who. There just isn't any sort of chemistry between the characters that is memorable other than between the main character and his blonde friend that is yaoi bait.

The animation itself isn't good as this was the opening fight and it was fairly boring in how it was staged. The non-action scenes don't have much motion either. The storyboarding is kinda interesting at times as there are a lot of off-kilter shots, some of which feels unnecessary. The backgrounds are surprisingly nice, which is unusual for a mid 2000s show. The art direction as a whole is decent primarily because of the background work. I imagine a lot of shots would be in CGI nowadays such as the water.

I would also want to immortalize Vegeta crying because he can't go Super Saiyan in statue form.

Part 3 lovers only existed because of a game.

I hate this meme.

Mongatari SS - Ep. 12

2nd best arc in the series. Probably the most spectacular character reversal I've ever seen even if the opening of the first episode shows you what it is anyway for some reason.

phaze

Durarara - Whatever the latest episode number was
Kind of disappointing that after so much build-up this episode got back to being more of a lull that merely set more things up for the climax. Shizuo begun fighting Izaya at the start of the episode and still hasn't done much by the end of it, Celty finally got her head back and has lost her memories of Ikebukuro, Saika zombies are mobilizing thanks to some guy I've completely forgotten (I think it was the girl's father, but then that'd make the way he treats her really creepy), and a mentally unstable Mikado with a gun is off to try and save his friend Masaomi from a fake assailant...

I really want to like this show, but after so much set up and the promise of some kind of resolution to at least some of them this time around, it being yet another set-up episode was really underwhelming.

Goddamit, my resolve is wavering ...

Fafner-(1-2)

Why the hell am I watching this? Well I sorta know the answer in that I'm curious about Xebec's production quality in the last decade and I had heard Exodus was fairly good. I hate hate hate Hiraiface so that had killed my interest prior but I was tired last night and couldn't go to sleep so decided to try it in a sleepy furor. I know I have better shows to watch so I'm not sure I'm going to finish this.

Well my first reaction is that this reminds me of Evangelion. The show takes place in a setting that isolated from the rest of a devastated world. The town just like Tokyo-3 has incorporated military defenses into the building structures and the civilians are trained to evacuate to shelters in case of an alien attack. The aliens themselves give off that abnormal design like Angels although not as 'inventive' as some of the more abstract Angel designs. The music itself also sounds similar to NGE.

The plot itself seems like the usual 'boy needs to fight in newly acquired robot to defend X'. There looks to be some possible political backstabbing in the future but whatever. The characters themselves aren't particularly engrossing or engaging either. In fact I'm having a hard time telling some of the characters apart, especially some of the older females.

What makes this worse is that a number of characters might have similar hair colors, as the hair colors are largely realistic, making it even harder to know who the fuck is who. There just isn't any sort of chemistry between the characters that is memorable other than between the main character and his blonde friend that is yaoi bait.

The animation itself isn't good as this was the opening fight and it was fairly boring in how it was staged. The non-action scenes don't have much motion either. The storyboarding is kinda interesting at times as there are a lot of off-kilter shots, some of which feels unnecessary. The backgrounds are surprisingly nice, which is unusual for a mid 2000s show. The art direction as a whole is decent primarily because of the background work. I imagine a lot of shots would be in CGI nowadays such as the water.
What I remember from first 5 episodes of Fafner outside of overwhelming NGE vibes:

Are you there ?

Are you there ?

Are you there ?

JulianImp

Mongatari SS - Ep. 12

Hissssssssssssssss

Seriously, this arc is downright amazing with how it took Nadeko, a character I couldn't have care less about before, and wove a great story around her. Like others have said, her story arc in SS is one of the best things in Monogatari by far.

Fafner-(1-2)

Evangelion with Hirai faces is what I imagined this show would be just by looking at its poster and OP.

It's why people who go through Jojo tell you that later parts are much better.

Part 3 lovers only existed because of a game.

To be fair, part favorites are as variant as Final Fantasy favorites. Part 3 being a favorite makes sense because it was the first part that utilizes the series main method of fighting. It adds more to the table than any other part with all parts following it being derivative of it to some extent.

Grimgar 08

Mary is finally joining in with the gang. They really want us to feel bad for the Goblins don't they lol. The moment in the cemetery was pretty damn touching, and there was a reason why they kept going after Goblins, aside from getting more experience.

It's a shame that this is ending soon. Feels like the ending of an arc that has lots of promising threads to follow. I'd love to watch these kids with their new knowledge tackling on bigger foes, going on adventures and discovering more about their world. Although the action moments are far and between, they are pretty good and this last episode shows just how proficient they have gotten in terms of teamwork. I may be tempted to pick up the books for this.

PS: Yume was fine, but I approve this ship more.

Crocodile

JoJo - Stardust Crusaders - 18

These two characters are positively infuriating in their incredible incompetent and idiotic behavior. To think that Polnareff has already gone through some of his, supposedly, defining moments and he behaves dumber than ever... It's atrocious.

Even Jotaro is a pretty basic Edgelord that lacks any depth but at least he's mostly competent, albeit that's mostly because he can be the cool hero at the end of an episode. Polnareff and Kakyojin though started as relatively menacing and formidable opponents in the first episode we encounter them under Dio's control and then regress to braindead morons immediately afterwards. It's as though Araki required to bumbling idiots to make the monster stand of the week look powerful without making our actual MC look too bad because of it. If only they would die already :/

Polnareff is kind of a dumbfuck (and is that way for most of the Part) but Kakoyin is more underutilized than anything. I don't recall Kakoyin himself doing anything dumb during the Death 13 fight. In fact he comes out of the ordeal looking like the smartest person in the room.

Jarmel

Banned
Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate Hiraiface since I began to live. There are 100 billion cells that make up my body. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those tens of billions of cells, it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for Hiraiface at this micro-instant. For Hirai. Hate. Hate.

Has the "sneeze when someone talks about you behind your back" anime trope ever been useful?

It's always so pointless and a waste of a cut. It doesn't even save that much time since it's like 4-5 seconds at the most. Why is it so popular?

It's funny because Japan stopped drawing noses for years now.

Cornbread78

Grimgar 08

Mary is finally joining in with the gang. They really want us to feel bad for the Goblins don't they lol. The moment in the cemetery was pretty damn touching, and there was a reason why they kept going after Goblins, aside from getting more experience.

It's a shame that this is ending soon. Feels like the ending of an arc that has lots of promising threads to follow. I'd love to watch these kids with their new knowledge tackling on bigger foes, going on adventures and discovering more about their world. Although the action moments are far and between, they are pretty good and this last episode shows just how proficient they have gotten in terms of teamwork. I may be tempted to pick up the books for this.

PS: Yume was fine, but I approve this ship more.

bES29hX.gif

Yeah, I'm hoping they announce something past this season, since this will definitely be a "go read the LN" style ending. Also, be ready for Yume x Mary fighting for the rights to jump on "Hal's" D.... He is now the might MC McDreamy and will have a love triangle around him. Hey, maybe Shiori will jump in and we can get a full harem going for the man.

So, despite all my problems with the show, I like Crimson Moon's second opening. It's goofy and over the top. It gives the show some much needed style.

I don't think this season has had any really stellar openings though. Dimension W's is okay.

The Erased OP is definitely stellar. It's minimalist, but the Rakugo Shinjuu OP is also quite good.

It's funny because Japan stopped drawing noses for years now.

Not really true. It varies by series and by character age and gender. Younger characters and females are more likely to get simpler noses, whereas older characters and males are more likely to get detailed noses.

Yeah, I'm hoping they announce something past this season, since this will definitely be a "go read the LN" style ending. Also, be ready for Yume x Mary fighting for the rights to jump on "Hal's" D.... He is now the might MC McDreamy and will have a love triangle around him. Hey, maybe Shiori will jump in and we can get a full harem going for the man.

This is going to be another Danmachi in that right when it feels the show is about to start, we are watching the last episode. Just like that one, I bet we won't be seeing a season 2 right away, if at all. Which is a shame in this case. I'm really left wondering just how this whole world works, how they got there. There are just so many things that they can do (and probably have done already in the books), I'd love to see it all animated.

Fafner-(1-2)

Well, I can only hope you stick with it until it drops the Eva-clone vibes and picks up its own pace. It is generally agreed that most of the writing issues DA had in the first half, aside from animation, are handled a lot better in the second.

The Hiraiface never really goes away, but I thought it got more bearable with the higher production values in H&E and Exodus.

Still waiting on more Fafner after Exodus to be made.

Given the trend, it'll be a 5 year wait for the next part.

pbayne

Osomatsu 21

Well, good thing I read Akagi so I could understand what the hell was going on in the first skit.

You understand the rules of majhong? I mean i like Akagi but I couldn't understand what the hell was actually happening most of the time. All I know is if you shout RON or PON you're winning.

Gad Guard 11

Still impressed by the ambition this show has with its story-telling and how it isn't afraid to shift things up for certain episodes. Very Baccano like episode where there were just tons of characters and gangs all with different affiliations and rivalries that shifted in and out of chronological order. It was an impressive feat that it all made sense and was well paced. Also a cool little segment where the backstory was narrated over a videogame.

Love how the episode made me re-assess the morals of a lot of the characters and stripped away a lot of the pre-conceived notions of them.

You understand the rules of majhong? I mean i like Akagi but I couldn't understand what the hell was actually happening most of the time. All I know is if you shout RON or PON you're winning.

I just surfed through the Akagi anime but made an effort to know most of the rules of Riichi Mahjong when I read the manga. I don't know every hand or combination possible but I do know a lot of them and the rules.

I just gotta remember that Washizu Mahjong isn't the standard with the opaque/transparent tiles after reading 200 chapters of it,

Qurupeke

Osomatsu-san 21

Gintama's parody was better as far as I remember, but this was also quite entertaining. The second skit was good but its ending was abrupt. Disappointing. :/

Shirayuki 20

All ended well. Surprising how forgiving Shirayuki was towards her dad since well, he was gone for all of her life without reaching out to her. We also got to watch Raj one last time, and the guy is awesome now, he went through such a change. Definitely one of my favourite characters this season.

sonicmj1

Sölf;197098087 said:
We watched that in our weekly stream when it aired and I know Chariot really loved it. For me, every episode felt the same:
- You have a scene at point X in time with the new important character of the episode.
- You either continue from there on or go back or forth to another point in time which centers around this character. That conflict then gets resolved.
- You have a timeskip over sucky event X which we never see happening, we only know it's bad.
- You see the episode important character, the main character who seems to be evil now because of sucky event X which we never see happening and after ~30-60 seconds the episode ends.
- Rinse and repeat in the next episode.

Only the last 3 episodes somehow tell a coherent plot that doesn't have this exact chain of events which every other episode has. I dare to say you can compare it to the SAW franchise. The very first movie (or here, the first episode) was good. Even great. The second was different enough, but basically had the same formula. And after that, each movie felt the same. You only waited for the big twist that was definitly going to happen in the last 5 minutes of the movie. And here you just waited for the time skip over sucky event X to happen.
I don't think most episodes follow this formula as much as you say, but that's more minor. More importantly (and perhaps this is a bit unfair), your analysis doesn't engage with the biggest thing about what the series is.

Concrete Revolutio is about Japan's postwar history, and all the events and characters correspond to actual movements, incidents, and pop culture heroes from that era. As much as the series is about the characters, it is also about reckoning with the political turmoil of that period. That's what I find most fascinating about it.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki ep.20
xucMfMU.jpg

“I’ve got the watch and you back now. That’s enough for me.”

Oh prince Zen you so dreamy...

Pretty good episode as we got full insight on what happened to Shirayuki as a child and why she was raised by her grandparents. Raj was really good, and the same for Obi. It's funny how we got to scroll through her entire harem before and after the Zen moments, lol.

Cross Ange Episode 1-8

Ange was annoying at first but she's slowly becoming a more tolerable and interesting protagonist. The end of 8 was an interesting turn for the story so I'm excited to see what's next.

I'm actually not that bothered by the 3d mecha action. It's suprisingly directed better than I thought.

huh? Thats so weird. Maybe their production budget is completely fucked or something or maybe a producer/sponsor backed out. Does it even say what the money is specifically going towards?

Im not an anime expert, but I dont really know how much $29K can really do to an animes budget, so I find it odd to have a crowdfunding campaign for that little amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom