• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i can't imagine idol animes being any better if i could naturally understand the dialogue

actually maybe this goes for a lot of anime

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 1

It begins, the regrettable journey...

I remember watching this when it first aired. My thoughts on it have not changed. This is total tryhard edgelord material unfiltered and undiluted, with some of the best production values, art direction, cinematography, and music for TV anime. Hirao and Ufotable really knocks it out of the park with the visuals, and there's such a polished look to everything. The three dimensional look everything has with the stylized shading is really attractive as well. The best thing about the direction though, are how sleek the transitions are and how smooth the execution is. Top-tier stuff.

There is literally not a single good thing I can say about the writing though. The setting is derivative, the character archetypes are generic to the max, and the the entire tone panders so hard to edgelord fans I feel like I'm getting cut every second of the way. It hurts. It hurts... so good.

Will watch episode 2 later. Please pray for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think that dub sounds too bad.

But then again I don't have any reference for the original, and I typically don't judge the voice acting of kid characters very hard, due to the difficulty of voicing kid characters.
I mean, I have very low expectations of dubs so I was expecting complete crap. It sounded like they at least tried with this one anyway. I assume this was a Bang Zoom job, and I guess I rate them higher than Funimation's internal dubs (particularly since they have to "speed dub" simulcasts now) so there's that.

I think someone did clip that segment, but I can't be arsed to find it. The VAs really seem to hit their stride in S2 though (for obvious reasons).
S2 is just better, so there's that.

God Eater - Episode 1

It begins, the regrettable journey...

I remember watching this when it first aired. My thoughts on it have not changed. This is total tryhard edgelord material unfiltered and undiluted, with some of the best production values, art direction, cinematography, and music for TV anime. Hirao and Ufotable really knocks it out of the park with the visuals, and there's such a polished look to everything. The three dimensional look everything has with the stylized shading is really attractive as well. The best thing about the direction though, are how sleek the transitions are and how smooth the execution is. Top-tier stuff.

There is literally not a single good thing I can say about the writing though. The setting is derivative, the character archetypes are generic to the max, and the the entire tone panders so hard to edgelord fans I feel like I'm getting cut every second of the way. It hurts. It hurts... so good.

Will watch episode 2 later. Please pray for me.

Hirao is admirably ambitious, though he really overuses slow motion here. And yeah, there's nothing of narrative worth about God Eater.

Jintor

For bad anime, sure.

Thinking about it, almost all the dubbed anime I ever watched were all action shows because of Toonami. I don't think I've really sat down and been like "you know, I'm going to watch the dubbed version of this romcom instead of the subbed version".

Huh. Unconscious bias.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thinking about it, almost all the dubbed anime I ever watched were all action shows because of Toonami. I don't think I've really sat down and been like "you know, I'm going to watch the dubbed version of this romcom instead of the subbed version".

Huh. Unconscious bias.
For me it's an easy excuse to revisit a show and watch it in the background. I probably wouldn't have rewatched Love Live otherwise.

(Long Live Sunshine)

duckroll

Hirao is admirably ambitious, though he really overuses slow motion here. And yeah, there's nothing of narrative worth about God Eater.

I think I counted at least 6 instances of the "close up on feet" -> "go into slow-mo" -> "zoom more" -> "speed up instantly' -> "follow cam" technique in the first episode alone! It just adds to the tryhard feel of the entire show, where it REALLY wants to be "intense", "cool", and "edgy". I give it 11 out of 10 for effort!

This Luger Code 1951 thing sounds potentially interesting. At any rate, I'm curious to see how Shinya Takahashi will fare at directing; he's a pretty good animator.

Windtalkers for furries?

Narag

This Luger Code 1951 thing sounds potentially interesting. At any rate, I'm curious to see how Shinya Takahashi will fare at directing; he's a pretty good animator.

Yonaga A werewolf girl. She has a human body, but has the ears and tail of a grey wolf. The beasts who grow fangs like a werewolf's can no longer transform, but they hold a mysterious power.

Q8bMS76.gif

zulux21

So I got a response from the person in charge of the skip beat indiegogo campaign.

Due to responses from myself and others they have decided to go ahead with the campaign launch as originally planned at noon EST on march 1st. (they were thinking about delaying it) Apparently I wasn't the only one that said that the preview sign up numbers didn't represent the number of people willing to back it. (they are hoping for 500 backers, about 30% of the goal reached in the first 3 days, if funimation can do that and more in 24 hours for merely a new dub for an older series hopefully this one can make it)

Despite the fact that indiegogo isn't kickstarter and they will take your money right away I hope that people will pledge right away for it if they can (the pledge levels looked great and for the most part just build upon each other unlike funimation's). If everyone sucks and the campaign fails the project is on flexible which means there is some risk as they keep your money either way (I really wish it was on fixed, but given they have released stuff in the past I doubt they would take your money and just run, projects in the past have either refunded money if they fail, or have attempted to give out rewards even if they don't make it by securing funding elsewhere). I hope that even if people don't personally want Skip Beat that you will spread the word as much as possible, as another player bringing overlooked shows over is a good thing for fans of those series, and while Skip Beat might not be a series you love a different series that you love could be the next one if the project succeeds.

Remember while the project is aiming to get a dub for skip beat, it's all or nothing. TV Tokyo wouldn't let them license the show without producing a dub for it, so if you want a legal north american version of skip beat even if you hate dubs, please still back the project because if it fails there won't be a sub only version, it just won't come out.

Quasar

Anyone watch Sora no Otoshimono?

Harem's my jam but after 5 episodes it's becoming kinda insufferable. Considering dropping.

I actually thought it got better over time. I bailed on S1 but for some reason tried it again with S2 and didnt mind it then. Its also one of the handful where I watched the dub.

pbayne

Rakugo 8

Great episode. Have to respect Bon for at least being somewhat honest with Miyokichi and breaking up with her. He's a weird contrast that he can portray women so well in his Rakugo but is awful around them or uninterested in real life.

Two big laughs in this one. When the master started talking about Sukeroku the train goes into a dark tunnel. It was on the nose but in a hilarious way like he was saying "ah fuck that guys a trainwreck". And then Bon just coincidentally appearing when Sukeroku and Miyokichi hug.

Mendrox

It's not shit and it's not shounen crap. It's a show with super heroes and it also has a weird timeline. It's good and I'd personally recommend to keep watching past episodes 1-2. Around 5-6 seems to be the point in which you can understand if it's for you or not.

I've watched the first nine episodes now and I still think it is shit. Will never trust you again, but I shouldn't have with your Monogatari avatar. :(

Edit: Talking about Concrete Revolutio

Sölf

I've watched the first nine episodes now and I still think it is shit. Will never trust you again, but I shouldn't have with your Monogatari avatar. :(

Edit: Talking about Concrete Revolutio

I didn't really like Concrete at first, but in the final ~3 episodes it made a bit more sense and we got something similar to a coherent plotline. As soon as THAT happend, the shows was good. At least it was good enough that I will watch S2 now. If the last 3 episodes wouldn't have been like that I wouldn't have bothered with S2.

Mendrox

Sölf;197096080 said:
I didn't really like Concrete at first, but in the final ~3 episodes it made a bit more sense and we got something similar to a coherent plotline. As soon as THAT happend, the shows was good. At least it was good enough that I will watch S2 now. If the last 3 episodes wouldn't have been like that I wouldn't have bothered with S2.

God damn it... well fuck that last three episodes I will watch them too. I mean, I've finished Soul Eater Not, Hamatora 1+2 and Mahouka. It cannot be worse.

Ascheroth

I watched 2 or 3 episodes of Concrete Revolutio, but it did nothing for me. I wasn't bored, but not interested either, I just felt nothing. ...Which was strange, because in theory it should have had everything I liked, but oh well.

I think Cyber Sleuth approached the "how do we make a Digimon JRPG plot appeal to modern anime fans" issue in a pretty novel way. When it starts, the inspiration from .hack and SAO is immediately obvious. This might be a minus for those tired of this sort of story, but it's an effect hook for general audiences. How it develops from there though, is very interesting and uniquely Digimon. What I also like is how the design of EDEN seems greatly influenced by Hosoda's VR-World concepts used in Our War Game and Summer Wars.

Cyber Sleuth is Persona 4 with Danganronpa music. Stop lying to people by saying it's other things.

Anyone watch Sora no Otoshimono?

Harem's my jam but after 5 episodes it's becoming kinda insufferable. Considering dropping.

Read the manga. It has dick beam:

Sölf;197096080 said:

People's dislike for Concrete Revolutio is more confusing to me than the show itself.

Cyber Sleuth is Persona 4 with Danganronpa music. Stop lying to people by saying it's other things.

That's not really true. Even Tanaka's soundtrack for Cyber Sleuth is distinctly different from his Danganronpa soundtracks.

Pooya

schwarzesmarken 7-8

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a comedy or not, I can't tell sometimes, it can be quite funny.

This is gotta be the worst little sister in anime history, rofl. In the torture scenes she's just ridiculous.

Everyone in the show is so goddamn stupid. They don't know if they can start the revolution or not without some hero, then they debate if their hero is strong enough or not. facepalm

Sölf

People's dislike for Concrete Revolutio is more confusing to me than the show itself.

We watched that in our weekly stream when it aired and I know Chariot really loved it. For me, every episode felt the same:
- You have a scene at point X in time with the new important character of the episode.
- You either continue from there on or go back or forth to another point in time which centers around this character. That conflict then gets resolved.
- You have a timeskip over sucky event X which we never see happening, we only know it's bad.
- You see the episode important character, the main character who seems to be evil now because of sucky event X which we never see happening and after ~30-60 seconds the episode ends.
- Rinse and repeat in the next episode.

Only the last 3 episodes somehow tell a coherent plot that doesn't have this exact chain of events which every other episode has. I dare to say you can compare it to the SAW franchise. The very first movie (or here, the first episode) was good. Even great. The second was different enough, but basically had the same formula. And after that, each movie felt the same. You only waited for the big twist that was definitly going to happen in the last 5 minutes of the movie. And here you just waited for the time skip over sucky event X to happen.

duckroll

Thanks guys! This is my first time interviewing for an office job in my field, so fingers crossed. I've got another one for tomorrow too, so I feel like if I do well today, the one for tomorrow or any others that I get until the end of this month, will become easier and easier.

At first I misread what Cornbread said as "kiss ass" and I was going to advice you not to, lol. All the best!

kewlmyc

Thanks guys! This is my first time interviewing for an office job in my field, so fingers crossed. I've got another one for tomorrow too, so I feel like if I do well today, the one for tomorrow or any others that I get until the end of this month, will become easier and easier.

Good luck!

zeromcd73

Digimon Savers 01
Well that was probably my least favourite first episode of any Digimon series. Masaru is a pretty annoying protagonist and Agumon was fairly annoying too. Hope it gets better, really in the mood to watch more Digimon.

Like all Bamco titles, I'm waiting for it to be $20 about 7 weeks after it's launch.
It's so good! Buy it and support more Digimon! Considering how much it has been selling out it might take a bit longer to drop it price.

blurr

<famous TTGL quote>

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom