• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbayne

Im not an anime expert, but I dont really know how much $29K can really do to an animes budget, so I find it odd to have a crowdfunding campaign for that little amount of money.

Ah maybe it it is just a little extra thing for fans(like that amount would only partially cover the cost of one episode). Still very strange to do it a month before the anime has even aired.

Anyways-popped in my Future Diary Blu-ray. It's still so so enjoyable to watch it with someone else. I forgot some of really stupidly awesome things like Yuno peeking though the letterbox or 9 trying to blow up a school while dressed in some cubersome gothic dress.

Anyways-popped in my Future Diary Blu-ray. It's still so so enjoyable to watch it with someone else. I forgot some of really stupidly awesome things like Yuno peeking though the letterbox or 9 trying to blow up a school while dressed in some cubersome gothic dress.

How's the BD look? Only got the DVDs here.

TUSR

Banned
Monogatari SS - Ep. 13

False alarm, Shinobu is here, the arc is saved,
Honestly, the converstaion between Nadeko and Shinobu was by far the best thing in this arc so far.

BcOJzXrIAAEkrvg.jpg
BcOJzXrIAAEkrvg.jpg

BcOJzXrIAAEkrvg.jpg
BcOJzXrIAAEkrvg.jpg
yasssss

huh? Thats so weird. Maybe their production budget is completely fucked or something or maybe a producer/sponsor backed out. Does it even say what the money is specifically going towards?

Looks like it's more about getting more money for advertising/promoting the show and connecting with fans than money for the actual anime production itself.

pbayne

How's the BD look? Only got the DVDs here.

Looks great no glaring issues or signs of compression from what ive seen. Image is really clear and makes the colors super vibrant. The biggest fuck-up is the subtitles. At times they(Kaze) don't bother to translate text on the phone and subs overlap in some scenes.

Bare bones release too. No bonuses, no trailers. Nothing/(UK release). It was cheap though so can't complain.

Looks great no glaring issues or signs of compression from what ive seen. Image is really clear and makes the colors super vibrant. The biggest fuck-up is the subtitles. At times they(Kaze) don't bother to translate text on the phone and subs overlap in some scenes.

Bare bones release too. No bonuses, no trailers. Nothing/(UK release). It was cheap though so can't complain.

Hmm... Sounds inferior to the US release. Dang.

Cornbread78

Planetes ep.9
Good episode. Catching the illegal
trash dumpers
We also got to meet his sensei, who of course is
dying of space cancer
looks like they are still working towards the Tanabe ship too.

BosSin

Just caught up on the 10-15 episodes of gintama I've kept stored for a time when I feel like shit...

Fucking hell! It's SO GOOD! Back to back to back story ark stuff. Damn, it's gone to such heights that I'm worried what the anime looks like when all is said and done. I'm sure it will still be great, but this has only cemented my opinion of gintama being one of the greatest animes ever.

It seriously has everything.

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 4

Once again the series tries so hard to infuse a sense of grounded reality in a franchise which struggles to match that intent. Although by this point I feel that such a critique is almost unfair, given the subtle worldbuilding from the start. In fact, I think it is probably hypocritical when I liked Fate/Zero so much, considering it was very much the same thing. Fate/Zero took itself very seriously, wanted to ground everything with a true sense of gravitas, but it was still a fucking Type-Moon show. I guess there's something to be said about Ufotable trying to hit above the mark when working with derivative licenses.

In this episode, they take pains to show in various ways what Fenrir is really like, without actually having a character come out and say it. For all the lack of subtlety in the visual direction when it comes to montages and action sequences, there is quite of delicacy in the approach to building the tone of the city and world here. Hirao has shown before that he has a unique ability to handle horror elements, and I think he's putting it to work here with both the flashbacks and the way Lenka is starting to see how things work.

Instead of outright stating that all hope is lost and humanity has decided to embark on a plan to essentially abandon the surface, that is simply implied through how the Aegis Plan is explained, and Lenka's realization is plain when you see the expression in his eyes. There's also the true sense of dread that beyond Fenrir's walls the world is much harsher, again implied through how Lenka and Alisa react to the city, and later hammered in by showing the refugees attempting to get in. The refugees serve a dual purpose here too, by confirming that people like Kouta enlist not because they really want to, but because who they are is a ticket for their families to continue staying in safety.

I lol'd hard at the "quota" for the mission they went on though. It felt like a really self-aware nod that they're indeed adapting a Monster Hunter clone, even though they have higher ambitions for the material.

Just T

Durarara!!x2 Ketsu: 8

Poor Celty. The meeting of Mikado and Kida should be interesting, expecting him to go off soon.

Dimension W: 8

Nice episode, was cool to see some action from Kyouma and Mira. Wonder if this Loser interaction will result in a fight or just a talk.

Grimgar: 8

Good episode, I think it was a good fight. Some close calls and it was brutal. It really is interesting how the goblins are portrayed in this, showing their leisure time and what not, humanizing them in a way. As for the latter half of the episode, I thought there were some horrible looking moments like that aerial transitions but the tone of it all fit very nicely. Guess they're heading towards Haru x Mary too, that’s cool.

duckroll

The ANN article doesn't really explain it well, but this isn't a Kickstarter sort of thing like we're familiar with. It's a pretty odd use for a crowdfunding platform, but in this case it's more like an extended early promotional thing for the show. They're crowdfunding what is basically an online fan club, canvassing funds from fans who want to "support the project" by offering exclusive goodies like web streams, drama CDs, credits in the DVD/BDs, behind the scenes stuff, etc.

They don't sound like they need extra money to make the show or anything, but rather want to open an early bird portal of sorts to start milking fans. It's a really odd choice given that this is a brand new IP though. What attachment would anyone have to throw money at it like this before even seeing the show? Maybe they're banking on the VAs and anime staff to draw people in?

The ANN article doesn't really explain it well, but this isn't a Kickstarter sort of thing like we're familiar with. It's a pretty odd use for a crowdfunding platform, but in this case it's more like an extended early promotional thing for the show. They're crowdfunding what is basically an online fan club, canvassing funds from fans who want to "support the project" by offering exclusive goodies like web streams, drama CDs, credits in the DVD/BDs, behind the scenes stuff, etc.

They don't sound like they need extra money to make the show or anything, but rather want to open an early bird portal of sorts to start milking fans. It's a really odd choice given that this is a brand new IP though. What attachment would anyone have to throw money at it like this before even seeing the show? Maybe they're banking on the VAs and anime staff to draw people in?

There should be some people wanna face to face with Mizushima and/or Okada.

I thought the VA's are kind of newish.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 7

The scene with Kiku dressing Bon has added resonance if you've seen the scene in the first episode with the elderly Kiku dressing Yotaro that they cut for the TV airing.

Weird. I guess they're hoping for that Mizushima magic.

*sees that the Escaflowne dub kickstarter only needs around 20,000 dollars now, is basically guaranteed to make it*

Welp, I was completely wrong. It's gonna make its goal easy.

convo

100k? Did they promise relatively large volume(s) or were they well known/regarded artists?

The greatest of artist yamatogawa, the campaign was originally for his newest volume but stretch goals became reprints of his older stuff. Well done all around.

So what were some notable anime kickstarters that made it besides LWA?

sonicmj1

God Eater 4

I left this show at episode 3 once the delays really started hitting the production hard. 4 isn't at all the same kind of flashy setpiece, but it's relatively strong nonetheless. As duckroll said, this is really stupid material executed smartly.

It's not a good kind of stupid, unfortunately. The show is serious as a heart attack about its premise of randomly chosen kids having to save mankind from extinction by dangerous magic beasts on the other side of a wall. I know that kind of thing is totally some people's jam, but it isn't mine. At least Attack on Titan had uniforms.

qOfLOcl.png

Japanese subtitles for the onscreen English, and (different!) English subtitles for the Japanese. Sometimes I wonder if the translators ever actually get shown the episodes they're subtitling.

Still, this episode is really good about showing, not telling, humanity's desperation. Nobody has to monologue about how many people got wiped out or whatever for us to understand the stakes. Perhaps even more than the on-the-nose ending with the survivors, Lenka's shock at seeing food distributed and Kota's return home were made more powerful in how they allowed the viewer to puzzle out the implications themselves.

I'll watch more. The characters are pretty stock archetypes right now, but they're at least building good tension between the members of Unit 1.

Not enough Omigawa this episode.

Jarmel

Banned
The greatest of artist yamatogawa, the campaign was originally for his newest volume but stretch goals became reprints of his older stuff. Well done all around.

So what were some notable anime kickstarters that made it besides LWA?

Under the Dog

dohohoho

Cornbread78

Special A. ep.9-12
I'm really appreciating this classic romcom for what it is; witty and fun. As with any romcom, there is little to no relationship to speak of, but it's slowly building up now. The MC is your classic male tsundere and our heroine is pretty aloof to his feelings, but it's fun to watch.

zulux21

Hopefully Funi does this for more anime, Outlaw Star and Code Geass please!

outlaw star is a bit fuzzy on how the dub is, but code geass' dub is fun and not worth the effort.

I would much rather them focus on bringing over new shows, or continuing stuff they stopped such as Conan, D Gray Man or Kodocha (Kodocha likely won't ever happen due to all the complications as it wasn't stopped because it sold poorly, it was actually selling well until the complications)

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 8

I love the slow, gentle, but unyielding way this series drives the character drama. This is exactly the sort of filmmaking I really enjoy watching. It actually reminds me of the film 45 Years I saw this weekend - on one level they're totally different in setting and subject matter, but on another level they share a similarity in how they approach the depiction of relationships, focusing on ordinary life events while slowly opening up the tension that can develop in any developed relationship. It's something that sticks with me a long time.

The final sound of Kiku closing Sukeroku's fan with the fade to black was masterful.

Sterok

Shirayukihime 20

Nice to get everything cleared up with dad. He even had a nice funny moment. After Shirayuki snuggled up to everyone else, it's nice for her and Zen to have their cute moment. We even got a Mitsuhide/Kiki moment. Raj continues to be the best. Too bad the show isn't about him.

Cornbread78

Shirayukihime 20

Nice to get everything cleared up with dad. He even had a nice funny moment. After Shirayuki snuggled up to everyone else, it's nice for her and Zen to have their cute moment. We even got a Mitsuhide/Kiki moment. Raj continues to be the best. Too bad the show isn't about him.

Totally forgot about that one, now that is a ship that needs to set sail in the final few episodes.

Shirayukihime 20

I wanted more on Obi and how he must feeling after this whole event. Sure he was smiling and playing drinking games, but he had to be feeling awful. He didn't even say anything to Zen even :(

CcZXjDJW4AAOjfV.jpg

Just T

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 8

That was a brutal match for Asuka, hopefully someone takes Saki down soon which I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be Misaki. Ah, there was a Masaya backstory too, neat.

manfestival

so far I am 4 episodes in for kekkai sensen. I am finding the story a little hard to follow. I will watch the show to completion but I feel like I might be missing out on stuff and its affecting how I feel about it so far.

duckroll

so far I am 4 episodes in for kekkai sensen. I am finding the story a little hard to follow. I will watch the show to completion but I feel like I might be missing out on stuff and its affecting how I feel about it so far.

Are you watching it dubbed? You might want to consider trying that and seeing if it makes things easier to follow. It's a very kinetic show and relying on subtitles can make it harder to follow. Also, the dub is very good!

I found it better upon a second watch felt like I picked up on stuff I missed the first go around that had made me feel its story was too deep for anime.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

This just reconfirms that I'll keep looking at Fumikane's art instead of watching the actual shows.

You're in luck, because there is no story to follow. Just treat every episode as its own thing outside of the Black/White subplot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom