• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 7

Right from the get go here, the episode makes me want to throw up. Of all the ways it could start, it starts with Alisa apologizing to Lenka while cuddled up in a chair. Disgusting. Is this what remains of the great Russian hope? The New-Type with actual training? The brave unstoppable maiden who kicked Lenka's ass in unarmed combat? Hirao go home you're drunk. Wait, what are you doing, stop walking towards the Tales staff. No don't do it. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. Come back!

The new location in this episode leverages on the art direction really well. Not only did it look very different from anything we've seen before, but the idea of using it as a symbol of false hope in this desolate world was also executed pretty effectively. I like seeing the little details they put into smaller scenes, like the trees being a defense mechanism. The set piece here was well done too, with a good simplistic use of tactics which makes it more interesting than the usual slash/shoot spam. The Aragami design was really neat too. Not sure if it's from the game, but it reminded me of Ultima Weapon from FF.

The bath scene with Alisa was pretty well done fanservice too, but just as I was thinking they could be on the way to salvaging her character, they ruin it again complete with really embarrassing shit. A panic attack isn't enough, she has to flip over the entire bathtub, and then crawl on all fours naked while stuttering. What the fuck? This is not how you use the goddess Maaya Sakamoto you fuckers! Eat my shit!

Lenka getting his God Arc back was just another head shaker among many. By now I've expected it, but it still feels lame. Cheapens everything that came before. Who gives a shit that the main character was overwhelmed, stabbed, slashed, crushed, and his weapon dismembered, when everything can be fixed so easily? Where is the tension and horror anymore? Nothing can stop Kirito-god-sama Lenka! I bet by the end of the series he can beat a Vajra by pointing at it and believing in himself. *barf*

Did I mention the music fucking rocks? I don't think I've mentioned that in a while because I've been so busy getting angry at how pathetic the writing for Alisa is, but the music still rocks! It's really fucking good! Go Shiina is an amazing composer!

Next episode is about Sakuya, I can't wait to see what innovative ways they come up with to undermine yet another female character to glorify the power of men.

Speaking of the balance of power between genders in anime, I want to mention how much I enjoyed that at the end of the pirates arc in Yona of the Dawn the big bad put the Green Dragon out of commission just so Yona could land the blow that actually kills him. Yona's character strikes the right balance between relying on the help of others and overcoming obstacles through inner strength.

The proud tradition of Dog Girl December will continue every other year as planned.
oZLwab4.png

Majin Bone 27

The second fight was the closest thing to a perfunctory fight that the series has had so far, but everything surrounding it was so good that I can overlook that. I love the small character moments such as Luke hesitantly reaching out to his father on the phone. Great use of silence in that scene.

phaze

Hakaba Kitaro 1

Really interesting and creepy start to this adaptation of Shigeru Mizuki's classic youkai manga. You can feel the Kenji Nakamura influence all over; the direction isn't quite as sharp and harsh as his Mononoke work, but the approach to horror and highly striking deployment of color is similar. Really, really good art direction and lots of uneasy atmosphere. Curious to see where this will go from here.

Does Nakamura's involvement go beyond the OP&ED which is all ANN ascribes to him ? Wrote it off based on that when checking for his other works.

Mouryou no Hako 01

I'm not quite sure why this show has eluded for me so long, given that it was on a rec list I already combed through and through but anyways, this was a mightily impressive premiere in pretty much every department and, being some kind of creepy, occult murder mystery, it's just up my alley.

Russ T

Banned
I wish I saw what everyone else saw in Mouryou no Hako but man I just hated it so much. It's rare for me to have such a polarized opinion about a series like this.

Oh well nobody can like everything, I suppose.

I wish I saw what everyone else saw in Mouryou no Hako but man I just hated it so much. It's rare for me to have such a polarized opinion about a series like this.

Oh well nobody can like everything, I suppose.

Interesting, both Mouryou no Hako and Grimgar directed by same person, must be destined.

JulianImp

KonoSuba #7
This show continues to be great. The combination of good voice acting and the show not taking itself seriously at all make this way better than most other isekai nonsense, and the reaction faces are always funny.

I was totally expecting the MC to drag Eris along with him, but I guess she'll have to wait or something.

I now get several more references than the last time I had seen this image. Should be proud or ashamed of myself?

Mouryou no Hako 01
I'm not quite sure why this show has eluded for me so long, given that it was on a rec list I already combed through and through but anyways, this was a mightily impressive premiere in pretty much every department and, being some kind of creepy, occult murder mystery, it's just up my alley.

Good to see you've decided to pick it up. It's a fairly good bizarre murder mystery with a setting that hasn't been used to death already, good art and a focus on understanding its characters, which are all things I like to see in shows I watch.

Line_HTX

Slowpoke here, I watched the trailer for Netoge, AKA "And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?" and I see that they listed the Illustrator as Hisasi. Insta-followed their official Twitter account.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress will be on Thursdays (?) I believe. Gotta destroy all those technologically powered zombies!!

Prince of Stride: Alternative Episode 9 Home - The One and Only
tumblr_o3ddmu0MTB1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg
tumblr_o3ddmu0MTB1qbxqfpo2_500.jpg

tumblr_o3ddtnYe8f1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg
tumblr_o3ddtnYe8f1qbxqfpo2_500.jpg

Kadowaki Kohinata moments were the best written parts of this episode and so close, hugging and handholding, can they get anymore closer than they already are, I need it alot.

All the pairings this episode were wonderful. Great team development pool episode.

Cornbread78

Dagashi ep. 3-4

I can't tell if I really like this show, or really hate it. It's a whole lot of nonsense, with some really funny moments with candy...

Cornbread78

Get your mind out of the gutter...

It's not bad, but yeah, I removed it, just because of that... I can't find a notebook image though.

Crocodile

Welp, anime had a good run :/

The ANN article doesn't really explain it well, but this isn't a Kickstarter sort of thing like we're familiar with. It's a pretty odd use for a crowdfunding platform, but in this case it's more like an extended early promotional thing for the show. They're crowdfunding what is basically an online fan club, canvassing funds from fans who want to "support the project" by offering exclusive goodies like web streams, drama CDs, credits in the DVD/BDs, behind the scenes stuff, etc.

They don't sound like they need extra money to make the show or anything, but rather want to open an early bird portal of sorts to start milking fans. It's a really odd choice given that this is a brand new IP though. What attachment would anyone have to throw money at it like this before even seeing the show? Maybe they're banking on the VAs and anime staff to draw people in?

Ok that isn't nearly as bad as I thought but still kind of being presumptuous and getting ahead of ourselves :p

Definitely leaning that way for sure.. Too much better stuff to watch.

Tuesdays are usually empty for me. I just go and watch Billions or Better Call Saul S2. I do have Sherlock and Vikings to get through also... Oh and Osomatsu-san. And Berserk. Amongst others.
*Grabs 3DS and plays FE Fates instead*

Line_HTX

I'm not in a marathon mood, and haven't been for months, and for the first time in a long time, I think I'm caught up in all that I watched this season. I'll find something else to watch, but Mondays and Tuesdays are just completely empty right now.

Szadek

Monogatari SS - Ep. 14-15
Yeah, you guys were right, this arc was great.
Gonna skip the next recap episode, because they suck. They are not exactly Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Does Nakamura's involvement go beyond the OP&ED which is all ANN ascribes to him ? Wrote it off based on that when checking for his other works.

I don't believe he did any other direct work on Hakaba Kitaro, but the show's director was the assistant director for Trapeze and C and its art director has been the art director for all of Nakamura's shows except C. The general style of direction feels very similar to Nakamura's own.

Mouryou no Hako 01

Look forward to your beloved Hamasaki's episodes.

The direction is one of the few things I like about Mouryou no Hako.

Also Grimgar's better than Mouryou no Hako. X:

*runs*

That's crazy talk. Mouryou no Hako is much more successful and not at all compromised in the way Grimgar has been.

bobawesome

The Skip Beat! Indiegogo campaign is live. Pledged for the $150 tier. I absolutely love this anime so it seemed reasonable.
Gonna skip the next recap episode, because they suck. They are not exactly Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Nothing is.

JulianImp

Glad to see you liked Nadeko Medusa. The way the show takes this generic-as-hell moe moe kyun dojikko and deconstructs her whole character archetype by showing how rotten and selfish someone could become from being spoiled like that was downright amazing, and managed to redeem Nadeko for me.

You'd better prepare for Shinobu Time now.

Cornbread78

You're in too deep now ;p

We're safe, no animals were harmed in the making of that post, lol. removed for the benefit of the masses though.

There's really a whole lot of nothing going on it the show, but there is actually a lot more swearing then I thought there would be for this kind of show.

I just want to say that Mahjong is actually really fun, and that it's very hard to ignore the urge to just shout RON out loud, especially when its the asshole that keeps RONing you. Only seen Saki so far (which is great, no pantsu aside), but really want to watch Kaiji.

Akagi, you mean. Kaiji isn't about Mahjong.

I just remembered. It's March! That means it's time for our annual Doujin Manga March Avatar Month!...

...No you're right. Some things are best laid to rest.

Time for Monster Girl March then?????

Yeah skip those recap episodes.

Line_HTX

We're safe, no animals were harmed in the making of that post, lol. removed for the benefit of the masses though.

There's really a whole lot of nothing going on it the show, but there is actually a lot more swearing then I thought there would be for this kind of show.

It's like Kiniro Mosaic. There's nothing much going on, but there's cool happenings to keep watching.

Ascheroth

I'm not in a marathon mood, and haven't been for months, and for the first time in a long time, I think I'm caught up in all that I watched this season. I'll find something else to watch, but Mondays and Tuesdays are just completely empty right now.

I wonder how that's going to look like next season.
This season is already pretty nicely distributed for the shows I watch. I think the only day I have nothing to watch is Monday, way better than last season were everything was on the weekend. Although I'm behind on Stride, so Tuesdays are also technically empty right now.

phaze

I don't believe he did any other direct work on Hakaba Kitaro, but the show's director was the assistant director for Trapeze and C and its art director has been the art director for all of Nakamura's shows except C. The general style of direction feels very similar to Nakamura's own.

I see. Will look forward to your impressions.

Look forward to your beloved Hamasaki's episodes.

pl0hxjubpl3s.jpg

I didn't even know he worked on this !

Ajin 07
For a super important facility that is seemingly the centerpiece of Ajin research, the security in there was fucking laughable. News reporters themselves break into it and conduct a 5 minute interview with the most dangerous and looked for people in Japan, people who have just finished offing everyone they met in said facility.
KuGsj.gif

---

In a very near future, I'm going to flood this thread with 100 screencaps of Mind Game. Please look forward to it.

Cornbread78

It's like Kiniro Mosaic. There's nothing much going on, but there's cool happenings to keep watching.

reminds me a lot of Eureka 7 actually, but I really appreciated the pay-off even through those rough spots.. I highly doubt this show will have that kind of pay-off though...

pbayne

Stride 9

Second half of this episode was beyond camp, it was was awesome. Turned into a mix between Free and Top Gun complete with shirtless volleyball.

pbayne

Gad Guard 12

Massive props to the music in this. Its always great but there was less dialogue in this episode that really pushed it to the forefront. Superb audio all around for the background elements. Makes the world feel really authentic. Great to see small incidental background characters getting their own on-going storylines, shows that their is a world outside of the main cast. The music guy playing an acoustic version of the main theme on the piano was a nice touch.

Also holy shit Katana tried to stab a cat. Yes sir you are most certainly a villain.

Where there is a mean there is a way... Managed to find this to give it a shot.

Osomatsu-san 01

It had me in stitches. This is pretty damn funny. This was cut off officially due to copyright conflicts right?

Where there is a mean there is a way... Managed to find this to give it a shot.

Osomatsu-san 01

It had me in stitches. This is pretty damn funny. This was cut off officially due to copyright conflicts right?

Yes, it was removed from official distribution by the production committee due to complaints over its parody elements. There is no fair use provision in Japanese copyright law, so there is no legal way to defend parodies and the like should the copyright owner desire to take someone to court.

Skip Beat campaign is up and going!

$80 for the whole show on Blu-ray? Not bad.

Then, people who know about dub costs are surprised we can pull it off within this budget. In fact, it is pretty remarkable to be able to localize 25 episodes on DVD and Blu-ray with dub for this sum. So, here's the back story: We squeezed this budget to fit within $210K, which is my magic number for the minimum support I think we can realistically expect from Skip Beat! fans (providing, of course, that we present a high-quality campaign). The only way to make this localization happen at $210K is to make it a passion project. We are calling in favors and donating a lot of our own time. We have the skills to make this release great for $210K, but with a huge amount of sweat equity. (In fact, you can think of myself and the dub team as the first backers of this campaign!)

I wonder how much of their own money are they putting in to this, I guess they arent getting paid themselves for it?

Yes, it was removed from official distribution by the production committee due to complaints over its parody elements. There is no fair use provision in Japanese copyright law, so there is no legal way to defend parodies and the like should the copyright owner desire to take someone to court.

That's quite a shame. I mean they went all out, straight "stealing" from Haikyuu, AoT, Naruto, etc. It was pretty funny though.

Osomatsu-san 02

The brothers are hilarious. I can see why people like the show so much. I also dig the designs. It's very vibrant and different from the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom