• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hurt him again!?
Well let's posting something good.

Majestic Prince big announcement coming next month.
ohDHKyY.jpg

Fantastic Children 11

Professor Gherta has just become one of the most fascinating characters in the show. I like how, even though she's working for what seem to be the bad guys and doing risky and damaging experiments, she has a soft heart and is concerned for the well-being of the people around her. It's not what I imagined she'd be like when she first showed up with those sunglasses.

A lot of good shows have QUALITY moments, sometimes even QUALITY episodes.

Behold, Dio's QUALITY world.

TV anime production is rough. It's rare that you get a production that is consistently strong. It's something that you have to accept if you want to watch anime.

I think the most important thing a show can have visually is good art design (as well as a strong sense of direction from the top). If your art design is strong enough, that can carry through episodes with weaker animation.

As of four episodes, Mouryou no Hako is certainly one thing: bizarre. I wonder some of these characters just happen to be completely craycray and have some messed up visions and the show's otherwise grounded in reality or if there's some magic stuff here.

There's been a lot of...actually, too many characters in these first bunch of episodes. While I'm sure they'll all play their role eventually it's hard to get invested in any of them currently, especially when half of the show feels so strange.

Clov

It's nice to see more people watching Mouryou no Hako. It's been a long time since I've watched it, but I remember it fondly. It's too bad nobody's picked it up over here.

jbug617

Banned
I haven't seen confirmation yet but there is Twitter speculation that there is going to be a a new anime for Kuroko no Basket and the movie for Extra Game will be out next year.

Fantastic Children 12

Looks like we're about to have the lid on what's going on here blown wide open. As expected (the OP strongly hints at this), we've got a Please Save the Earth style situation going on.

Pretty good tension this episode, though I feel like the climax with Kirchner dragged on a little too long.

Tuck

Red Hair Female Arslan - 2-4
Much improved from the first episode, now that thing are moving. I still don't particularly care for Yona, but the flash forward in episode 2 showed where they are going with her character, and its an arc I'm eager to see. i think, if they do it well, it'll make for a fun watch.

These element-based clans make me feel like I'm watching Avatar! Those damned Fire Nation bastards.

Episode 2 had a sweet action scene between Hak and Soo-Wan. hope for more of those.

Nice to see that Soo-Wan is more than just generically evil. His motivations make sense yet it seems like there are details left unsaid, which is good cause its piqued my interest.

I find the music very overbearing in some scenes. You have scenes with not much going on, maybe a character or two having a conversation and yet you have this booming score int he background. Really only noticed this is episode 4.

Hak is the best.

Overall, I like it! Will definitely keep watching.

Tuck

Yona - 5
Dat character development. Now this is the Yona I wanted to see.

I hope Hak dies. Like, not right now. But down the road. Cause you just know he and the princess are meant to be together, so it'd be super sad to watch that not happen.

Yona - 5

I hope Hak dies. Like, not right now. But down the road. Cause you just know he and the princess are meant to be together, so it'd be super sad to watch that not happen.

Yeah...that really would be sad to watch and for that reason I really hope that it doesn't happen. Those two should get a happy end for themselves.

Cornbread78

Yona - 5

Ouch, Hak is actually a really good character. The show keeps getting better with him there too.

Yeah...that really would be sad to watch and for that reason I really hope that it doesn't happen. Those two should get a happy end for themselves.

Don't peek Tuck:
True,
but we need a second season dammit to see if it happens!

So I decide to count how many "Number of Thread with Anime in the Title in Offtopic (Community and General)"

So what does this mean? Probably nothing, I am just bored :v

I see, I see, this clearly means anime is making a comeback into everyone's hearts

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 19

The atmosphere in this episode was top-notch, as was the animation. The rescue sequence was excellent. I believe this little arc is anime-original, and it does stand out as unusual among the rest of the Hunter Exam (something which is explicitly remarked upon), but I like the mood it's creating.

Red Hair Female Arslan - 2-4
Much improved from the first episode, now that thing are moving. I still don't particularly care for Yona, but the flash forward in episode 2 showed where they are going with her character, and its an arc I'm eager to see. i think, if they do it well, it'll make for a fun watch.

I'd be surprised if you don't admire Yona by the end of the anime.

Yona - 5

I'm not entirely opposed to that, but if it were to happen I'd want his death to be meaningful and not just random tragedy thrown in for the sake of tragedy.

Majin Bone - 28

CchK6SDXEAACGdl.jpg:large
CchLA-fW0AA27FC.jpg:large

Something something za warudo

So Stolz got his Bone card stolen and now it looks like Cerberus is totally taking over.
Things are escalating quicker and quicker. It almost feels like I'm approaching the show's endgame even though I'm only halfway through.

Man, I can't believe I'm already halfway through this show. It's been a while since a show's kept me this engrossed.

duckroll

God Eater - Episode 8

Wow, what's this, a good episode of God Eater again after the Alisa Character Assassination Arc? Oh, it's an episode directed by Takashi Suhara. Of course. :p

I'm still pretty frustrated by where they're taking Alisa storywise, but I think I'll just have to #dealwithit for now. It's really cringey to see her naked hiding under sheets in her bed and all. It's pretty painful and pathetic to watch, which I suppose illustrates how they've done a good job in depicting the suffering, but I just wish they did it with another character instead.

As I expected, despite the episode being named after Sakuya, the actual events of the episode is yet another Lenka Power Trip glorification. It was done well, but man, the series just can't seem to stop pandering to the shounen power fantasy. There's nothing wrong with that if you're into it I suppose, but after watching so much anime I think it's a pity that something with such great production values and direction doesn't want to say something more substantial instead. There's so much more potential here. Like, it was cool to see Lenka lead, but hard to ignore that in the end he's still a fresh recruit who is really young and inexperienced, and here he is showing up older (female) superiors and saving all their asses with his "natural survival instinct" which he gained from presumably living outside Fenrir. I like capable heroes, but when it is so imbalanced that it feels artificially exaggerated, it takes me out of the show a bit.

The direction and staging for the stadium mission was really cool. I loved the overhead shots and the visual language used to establish the area and the positions of the characters. The show is really good at guiding the audience into understanding the flow of action and scenes without having to explain much with words. The flashback at the end was -really- nice too. I certainly appreciate how the show goes all out with the scale and the completeness of the story it wants to tell. Even if it's based on a trashy edgelord Monster Hunter clone, there is a level of care here in making it feel big and polished, rather than a licensed cash-in show. It's nice to see Ufotable showcase global destruction on that scale, and added to the film-like feel the entire series has. The twists and reveals at the end of the episode were fully foreshadowed too, so they don't come as a surprise, but it does create a sense that shit is really going to go down soon.

I lol'd hard at when it was being explained to Lenka that the REAL reason his weapon snapped was because... *drumroll*.... he's just TOO powerful. Lol. That's the shit I was talking about before. Just feeling a bit too hard into the whole shounen power fantasy shit. But whatever. God Eater might have lots of flaws in how it handles Alisa, and I'll never forgive it for that, but it's a pretty entertaining show, with emphasis on pretty, and I think it sells the "Japanese Walking Dead" concept way better than Attack on Titan ever did.

duckroll

Oh and I forgot to mention. As a follow up on the continued investigation on how the bracelets affect their ability to put on clothes, there was a shower scene with Sakuya in this episode, and after that they actually show her changing, and I was deeply disappointed when I realized that her outfit is one of the few which can easily be put on without worrying about sleeves, since she just ties the dress up with the string at the back of her neck. Boo! The mystery continues... Hope they have a hot shower and changing scene for Lenka or Rindou before the end, so we can put this mystery to bed once and for all.

cj_iwakura

Coral Springs is getting the Psycho Pass movie in theaters in two weeks.

So Funimation's totally planning something similar for Steins;Gate's movie, right?

Please?

TUSR

Banned
Coral Springs is getting the Psycho Pass movie in theaters in two weeks.

So Funimation's totally planning something similar for Steins;Gate's movie, right?

Please?

Steins;Gate movie is almost ~3 years old.

Psycho Pass came out last year.

sounds good.

blurr

Daily reminder: Anime was a mistake.

I like that we keep reminding ourselves of this.

Anime weeb culture has gotten to a point that it acknowledges that sometimes the medium the fans indulge themselves in can be a joke and it's okay to laugh at yourselves.

Sorry about that.

Oh and I forgot to mention. As a follow up on the continued investigation on how the bracelets affect their ability to put on clothes, there was a shower scene with Sakuya in this episode, and after that they actually show her changing, and I was deeply disappointed when I realized that her outfit is one of the few which can easily be put on without worrying about sleeves, since she just ties the dress up with the string at the back of her neck. Boo! The mystery continues... Hope they have a hot shower and changing scene for Lenka or Rindou before the end, so we can put this mystery to bed once and for all.

Your mind and deep line of thinking about this issue fascinate me. As do your episode reviews, as the in-house God Eater game nut I approve of everything you've said so far and I'm happy that someone seems to be enjoying the series on a deeper level instead of just dismissing it as, just another show. Although the plot isn't revolutionary, Ufotable certainly made it a lot more special with how everything is shot and executed. Extra points are given for new scenes that aren't in the game. I'm super excited for seeing Lenka's prior years, before he got recruited as a God Eater.

duckroll

Your mind and deep line of thinking about this issue fascinate me. As do your episode reviews, as the in-house God Eater game nut I approve of everything you've said so far and I'm happy that someone seems to be enjoying the series on a deeper level instead of just dismissing it as, just another show. Although the plot isn't revolutionary, Ufotable certainly made it a lot more special with how everything is shot and executed. Extra points are given for new scenes that aren't in the game. I'm super excited for seeing Lenka's prior years, before he got recruited as a God Eater.

I'm actually curious how much of the story is from the game(s) and how much is original, but I don't want to know until after it ends. I think it is better for me to just take the show as it is first to be fair to it as a standalone work.

Too bad Ufotable didn't do the Tales of Phantasia anime. Maybe one day they'll do a remake like UBW. Lol.

Sakura

I started watching Prince of Tennis for some reason.
It wasn't really what I was expecting, and I'm quite enjoying it. Watched up to episode 48 just after a few days.

I'm actually curious how much of the story is from the game(s) and how much is original, but I don't want to know until after it ends. I think it is better for me to just take the show as it is first to be fair to it as a standalone work.

Too bad Ufotable didn't do the Tales of Phantasia anime. Maybe one day they'll do a remake like UBW. Lol.

Sounds good ahaha. And weren't they going to do (maybe they already did it idk) Tales of Zestiria? So it may be possible, who knows

pbayne

Yona - 5

Trying to kill off the best character? Yuod rather see a characters die than not have a romance.
Though not being one of the four dragons I guess it makes him expendable somewhat. But fuck I hope it never happens.
I haven't seen confirmation yet but there is Twitter speculation that there is going to be a a new anime for Kuroko no Basket and the movie for Extra Game will be out next year.

An anime and a movie? I know one of them will be the time they play an American team but what else is there to adapt?

Edit:Ah the movies are just three compilations of the series.

You know, this reminds me, I never finished Majestic Prince. I think I had like 9 episodes left or something.

The last 6-7 episodes are non-stop action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom