• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Mind Game
mindgame4fxrzq.jpg
mindgame3vfpwu.jpg
mindgame5y1qih.jpg
mindgame159lqeg.jpg

mindgame67sqbr.jpg
mindgame7agoiy.jpg
mindgame8q9qh1.jpg
mindgame10wzp0e.jpg
mindgame11nqpnn.jpg
mindgame1282oj0.jpg
mindgame147lozd.jpg
mindgame1r7o2x.jpg

Best Kami-sama.

Best chase scene.

Best sex scene.

Best
running up a giant wave inside a whale while dodging a plane, ship, tank, and rockets and going through a building, all the while reminiscing about your life
scene.

Best fart.

20/10, Yuasa a God. A GOD.
I want whatever he's smoking.

---

But really; this was a great movie. Might very well be the most bizarre thing I've seen in my life. Not only because of directorial insanity and the continuous shifts in art style and animation but also because of how unbridled it was from normal story conventions. I've never expected the change
getting swallowed by the whale
that occurred at 40th minute mark to last until the very end of the movie, leaving the entire Yakuza storyline, which seemed like the main plot beat, completely in the dust. This freedom did make things feel a bit disjointed at times and with how dense it could be at times, I'm not sure I quite "got" it all, the old man and Yang's plotlines in particular but those are pretty much my only gripes and the latter will probably disappear on the rewatch. Eagerly recommended.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hey, I don't think Grimgar's good. But at least it's pretty??
Grimgar is pretty ugly. At very isolated moments things line up right, but for the most part there's not really any real respect paid to what impressionism should strive for, so the background just wind up being ruddy scribblings with wildly varying levels of detail and attention. Splotchy digital paint work that lacks any calculation or finesse to its color blending. This isn't even mentioning the anachronism presented by the very modern character designs that constantly stand at odds with the BG work.

Osomatsu-san 03

I can see what you mean by hit and miss. I laughed at the saw skit, and the one in which the brother couldn't sleep. Everything else was meh.

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar is pretty ugly. At very isolated moments things line up right, but for the most part there's not really any real respect paid to what impressionism should strive for, so the background just wind up being ruddy scribblings with wildly varying levels of detail and attention. Splotchy digital paint work that lacks any calculation or finesse to its color blending. This isn't even mentioning the anachronism presented by the very modern character designs that constantly stand at odds with the BG work.

Okay, I should've said sometimes pretty.

Don't think it's ugly by any stretch.

Osomatsu-san 03

I can see what you mean by hit and miss. I laughed at the saw skit, and the one in which the brother couldn't sleep. Everything else was meh.

You're laughing at the wrong one. Nobody liked the saw skit!

So I know almost nothing about the Empire of Corpses film.

I know nothing about its quality.

But I do know one thing.

One character in it has some next level eyebrows.

He must be even more of an adult than Commander Amarao.

Ascheroth

[Stride] 07-08

Man, this show is just a whole lot of fun. The races are intense, the character interactions are fun. Special shoutout to the soundtrack, it's great and works really well, and I really like how the show presents information, like the introduction of Kakyoin highschool (unlike the name might imply, they are NOT jobbers, quite the opposite) and the runner lineups. It just looks really neat.

Also my biggest complaint, that Sakurai faded way too much into the background, was addressed with episode 8. So that's where her interest in stride comes from, it all makes sense now.
The drama Rikus brother brings to the table is also pretty well done.
I just wonder how they will continue from here on, because they got effortlessly decimated.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He looks like Senshi from Dungeon Meshi.

DUNGEON MESHI ANIME WHEN?

Pickle Eyebrows >>>

Osomatsu-san 21

Kinda liked the mahjong scene even if I had no clue what was going on, I guess that was partially the point though.

I'll have to look into other mahjong anime now I think.

Mind Game

But really; this was a great movie. Might very well be the most bizarre thing I've seen in my life. Not only because of directorial insanity and the continuous shifts in art style and animation but also because of how unbridled it was from normal story conventions. I've never expected the change
getting swallowed by the whale
that occurred at 40th minute mark to last until the very end of the movie, leaving the entire Yakuza storyline, which seemed like the main plot beat, completely in the dust. This freedom did make things feel a bit disjointed at times and with how dense it could be at times, I'm not sure I quite "got" it all, the old man and Yang's plotlines in particular but those are pretty much my only gripes and the latter will probably disappear on the rewatch. Eagerly recommended.

Mind Game is my least favorite of all of Yuasa's works, but I'm glad he had the chance to go wild with experimentation in it. I prefer his later, more mature works, where some of his craziness is reined in and so the storytelling ends up being more effective.

Okay, I should've said sometimes pretty.

Don't think it's ugly by any stretch.

Don't listen to dimb; he's crazy. Or blind. Not sure which.

zulux21

is xia or duckroll around?
I uh might need some Mod help as the skip beat thread went in a very odd direction >.<:

I at least need (anime company) added after pied piper apparently >.<:

I think the visuals in Grimgar are fairly often quite pretty as well. There are instances where the foreground and background animation do not mesh together nicely and animation quality isn't consistent either, but in general I'd rate Grimgar's visuals as one of its few positive aspects.

kewlmyc

Hmmm that so? I'm moving on to 3 now. When would you say it gets "good"?

So I guess 13 onwards? I'll still watch all of them here and there.

The "Todomatsu and the 5 Demons" and "Jyuushimatsu Falls in Love" segments are probably the best segments in the first season. Look forward to them. I think they're in episode 7 and 8 respectively.

The "Todomatsu and the 5 Demons" and "Jyuushimatsu Falls in Love" segments are probably the best segments in the first season. Look forward to them. I think they're in episode 7 and 8 respectively.

Sounds good. I may or may not watch another episode after catching up with Better Call Saul tonight.

By the by, it was posted last week but now, the God Eater Meteorite Arc promo is subbed. We also have air times, with episode 10 airing this Saturday and the following 3 episodes airing each Saturday every week afterwards.

Cornbread78

Dagashi ep.7
Saya x Coconuts date episode. I'm surprised they added a very cute SoL episode right here, but it was pretty well written and was very cute. Saya is definitely thirsty fir Coconuts, but he is clueless about her feelings (of course) Between the "playing doctor" segment from the last episode and now this one, Saya has definitely really like him for a long, long, time now. It'll be interesting to see if they more towards shipping them, create a love triangle with Hotaru, or just play it like a full SoL and just tease it constantly the rest of the season.

Osomatsu Episode 5

Kidnapped Karamatsu one was pretty good, though I think I always love the Karamatsu ones. Ichimatsu is my second favorite so I really loved how emotional the one with the cat that can sense their feelings was and for him. Friendship stories always get me :( Definitive.

Yeah, but who's crazier: me for enjoying Grimgar more than Mouryou no Hako, or dimb for thinking Grimgar's ugly?

O;

Maybe he should say "Grimgar have fair amount of QUALITY moment", because that's true i think everyone would agree, though that's expected because it's not a high budget show since beginning(well who the hell will throw budget to a show that the LN sales was even lower than Rokka before anime start airing?)

duckroll

Maybe he should say "Grimgar have fair amount of QUALITY moment", because that's true i think everyone would agree, though that's expected because it's not a high budget show since beginning(well who the hell will throw budget to a show that the LN sales was even lower than Rokka before anime start airing?)

Hmmmmm. I'm curious, what were sales like for novels like Scrapped Princess, Gosick, or No.6 before the animes aired? What about manga like Jyuousei and Daughter of Twenty Faces? It always seemed to me that regardless of how low profile some of the source material are BONES always manages to have good output as far as animation goes. Which is why stuff like Soul Eater Not are such oddities when they happen. Do you think it is because BONES has larger budgets for their shows? Or are they just better at managing staff and schedules? Or is it because Minami has a black book on everyone in the industry and just blackmails his way to getting more resources?

Please hurry, waking up and reading your God Eater posts has been the highlight of this thread for this week for me.

Come on, don't pressure me, ep10 doesn't even air until this Saturday! After I finish up God Eater, I need to catch up on Haikyu and Prince of Stride too!

Grimgar clearly has a tight production schedule, which only becomes tighter as the series progresses of course, but I don't think you can infer anything from that about its budget. The visual design is quite good, and the backgrounds are the best in TV anime since Rolling Girls.

Hmmmmm. I'm curious, what were sales like for novels like Scrapped Princess, Gosick, or No.6 before the animes aired? What about manga like Jyuousei and Daughter of Twenty Faces? It always seemed to me that regardless of how low profile some of the source material are BONES always manages to have good output as far as animation goes. Which is why stuff like Soul Eater Not are such oddities when they happen. Do you think it is because BONES has larger budgets for their shows? Or are they just better at managing staff and schedules? Or is it because Minami has a black book on everyone in the industry and just blackmails his way to getting more resources?
All shows you said also have QUALITY moment but Bones have good experience animators for action scene so it's fine actually.
Btw Gosick sales was pretty nice actually, 110k average before anime start airing, take this season to compare, it's 2 times more than Konosuba, 3 times more than something Bahamut and 10 times more than Grimgar.
Scrapped Princess was 91k average, can't find No.6 because Japan count it as child book lol.

Grimgar clearly has a tight production schedule, which only becomes tighter as the series progresses of course, but I don't think you can infer anything from that about its budget. The visual design is quite good, and the backgrounds are the best in TV anime since Rolling Girls.

Yeah production schedule is part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom