• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's made by an actual competent studio!
Not a fan of KyoAni works. More power for you if you like them.

I'm just joking. I love everything KyoAni has done, but I understand how people can get turned off by their style. I''m hoping for good things from Erased. It had the best opening episode this season after Rakugo Shinjuu.

Did anyone watch Ass Class? I haven't seen many posts about it.

Its why I keep banging the drum about how SoL is a totally useless term.

I don't think it's totally useless, but I think that the term has been misused to the point where it has very little meaning to most people. Descriptive language doing its thing.

Ass Class? Now that sounds like a KyoAni show.

I'll take that as a compliment to KyoAni's artists and not an implicit declaration of war. :p

Ass Class is too good of a shortened name for what I presume is a show that's incredibly mediocre.

The show itself isn't a marvel of the medium - it's no Shin Sekai Yori or Revolutionary Girl - but it is a fantastic Action/Comedy. Not my usual show, but it kept me watching all the way through.

Assassination Classroom is actually a pretty solid. I don't care for it when it goes full shonen, but it's an enjoyable comedy. It's never amazing, but I would certainly put it above mediocre.

qic7mfwdcngwy5hslomp.jpg

Shouta

Watched a few things...

GATE - 13

Uh, well, I'm not happy about that scene. It's possible it might be justified further down the line, but I really sincerely doubt it with every fiber of my being. I'm really annoyed that they took this otherwise light-hearted, silly show and threw that shit in there. It's unnecessary, and really just doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the show. Sure there's death and violence out the wazoo, but it's never the focus like that was. It's your typical treatment of mass-death in a non-serious show. But rape? Gross. Fuck you.

I finished the episode, anyway, and everything after that scene was what I wanted from more GATE. Ugh, I'm so disappointed. I might just drop it. I can get my stupid fun anime fix elsewhere, and I've got plenty of backlog stuff. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop it.

It's not a light-hearted show. It has comedy. It has cute parts. However, it's not a show that's a whimsical fantasy romp. It's cleaned up to make it easier to digest but actually look at what happened in S1.

In S1,
it starts with an attack in Ginza where innocent people are getting murdered by a fantasy army. The JSDF and proceed to demolish an army of 40,000 that were sent to their deaths by a scheming lord in their kingdom. The remnants of that army then proceed to a nearby commerce hub and try to take it over, killing civilians in the process. Then they're taken out by JSDF helis while Ride of the Valkyries is playing. Then there are the brutal deaths of the operatives in the Onsen operation and all of the political maneuvers and that.

It's a pretty brutal show. It's easy to be entranced by Tuka on screen or how awesome Rory is but it's definitely a harsh show when you look at what it's doing and showing about its setting and all that. A lot of the stuff that happens in S2 makes it easier to recognize.

Taruranto

I don't know whatever I should watch ERASED first episode or just marathon the manga since I know for sure I'll get spoilered somehow in the next weeks.

Jarmel

Banned
CR-13

I feel like this episode lost me somewhere on the politics side. The whole Secrecy Rights Law thing is just a jumble of words in my head. What does the students protesting have to do with the Rights Law thing?

Rainy

Banned
Dagashi Kashi 1

This first episode was pretty funny, I enjoyed it. Hotaru is the best.

That OP and ED though...not so hot.

Puruzi

Banned
people are bugging about the rape shit in gate?

knew it was a good idea not to fuck with that show after I found out that it had that kinda stuff

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Oshiete Galko-chan 1
Oh yes. This can be a good replacement for Seitokai Yakuindomo. Probably even better too.

Sekkou Boys 1

Legend has it that a certain manga author and ex eroge project planner try to make a dating sim with a sculpture. His publisher refused that idea. Maybe this is a good time for him to bring that idea back.

"Dragon Slayerr!"
Saint Giorgio is best idol

Jarmel

Banned
I picked up rape victim vibes in the new Gate OP. Looks like I wasn't wrong.

Hmmm. Not sure I trust Gate to handle that topic delicately.

Jarmel

Banned
#superlivesmatter

But the earlier episodes made it seem like the Rights act was more military in nature in that it allowed superhumans to volunteer and register for armed service instead of it being compulsory/forced.

I also understand the ad agency was against the Rights act but why? That brunette largely seemed to hate superheroes.

I havent seen the whole gate anime chapter but im up to date with the manga.

The girl who suffers it is not some random throwaway character who we forget, she is important to the plot and the scene will help build up the dinamic that will be presented between her and the son of the emperor.

jbug617

Banned

The girl who suffers it is not some random throwaway character who we forget, she is important to the plot and the scene will help build up the dinamic that will be presented between her and the son of the emperor.

that's good to know. That whole scene was just weird.

I don't know whatever I should watch ERASED first episode or just marathon the manga since I know for sure I'll get spoilered somehow in the next weeks.

If I were you I would just watch the anime first so you can experience it fresh. Then read the manga so you can experience the extra details they skipped in the anime

I'm trying to block out any social media that will spoil the series.

Shouta

I picked up rape victim vibes in the new Gate OP. Looks like I wasn't wrong.

Hmmm. Not sure I trust Gate to handle that topic delicately.

that's good to know. That whole scene was just weird.

Part of the reason the scene is in there is actually explained later in the episode if you're connecting the dots. Minor spoilers on that.

The winged girl mentions she's a prostitute and Kurokawa gives her birth control. However, that smoking comments is also important. As Kurokawa says, she needs it because that's the only way the winged-girl can keep up what she's doing. I don't recall what it was being mentioned in the manga but she probably is smoking something like opium. Put those two things together and you can probably figure out that she's not doing it because she wants to. You can look at many of the girls that come in for shelter during the earthquake for that as well.

That's one of the big, evil elements shown in this half of Gate. Slavery is thing in this fantasy world, particularly sex slavery. That first scene with the Son of the Emperor is a part of that though it also has importance later on in the story as well.

Wow i think charlotte is the best anime i've seen since steins;gate. However that could be because everything else is such garbo but i don't think so.

I started to watch that crimson ghost show and noped the fuck out once the adult told the kid to molest the other.

Gate took a rather dark turn and i hope it doesn't get that bad because i enjoyed the first 12 eps for the concept and dumb fun.

duckroll

But the earlier episodes made it seem like the Rights act was more military in nature in that it allowed superhumans to volunteer and register for armed service instead of it being compulsory/forced.

I also understand the ad agency was against the Rights act but why? That brunette largely seemed to hate superheroes.

IIRC, the Rights act was about two things - the specific definition of what would legally constitute a "superhuman" as well as a series of bills which would then apply to people who fell under this definition, effectively excluding them from being considered normal "humans" which fall under human rights laws and so on.

Imperial Ads doesn't like or dislike superhumans, their agenda is information manipulation and controlling the public through propaganda. It is unclear if their main objective is simply to make money for themselves (how?) or if there's some larger conspiracy plan at play here, but considering how the owner was all buddy-buddy with Claude, and how he himself is likely to be a superhuman, there's probably something else going on.

Russ T

Banned
It's not a light-hearted show. It has comedy. It has cute parts. However, it's not a show that's a whimsical fantasy romp. It's cleaned up to make it easier to digest but actually look at what happened in S1.

In S1,
it starts with an attack in Ginza where innocent people are getting murdered by a fantasy army. The JSDF and proceed to demolish an army of 40,000 that were sent to their deaths by a scheming lord in their kingdom. The remnants of that army then proceed to a nearby commerce hub and try to take it over, killing civilians in the process. Then they're taken out by JSDF helis while Ride of the Valkyries is playing. Then there are the brutal deaths of the operatives in the Onsen operation and all of the political maneuvers and that.

It's a pretty brutal show. It's easy to be entranced by Tuka on screen or how awesome Rory is but it's definitely a harsh show when you look at what it's doing and showing about its setting and all that. A lot of the stuff that happens in S2 makes it easier to recognize.

No, as I sorta half-mentioned, I understand that the show goes dark places. But the tone doesn't match. Ever. I'd argue that S1 has that feeling of glorifying violence - in that typical cartoony way - the vast majority of the time, rather than making it seem like a bad thing. Not all the time, but definitely most of the time.

Looking into it, I understand that the manga is apparently dark as fuck, but they utterly failed to communicate this during the first season. It was either a bad adaptation, because the tone does not fit what the source material apparently contains, or a good adaptation, because it got rid of some bleak shit that really had no place in the story they're telling.

Having now seen this first episode, I'm leaning toward bad adaptation.

Yeah, I gathered that much (she's in the OP), but that doesn't suddenly allow me to accept it. It would have to actually be handled well. And I don't really have faith in this show to do that.

Maybe I'll keep watching anyway, just to see. This is just such a bummer, though.

sonicmj1

Imperial Ads doesn't like or dislike superhumans, their agenda is information manipulation and controlling the public through propaganda. It is unclear if their main objective is simply to make money for themselves (how?) or if there's some larger conspiracy plan at play here, but considering how the owner was all buddy-buddy with Claude, and how he himself is likely to be a superhuman, there's probably something else going on.

As presented, Imperial Ads opposes the current bureau because loosening the media ban on superhumans would allow them to market those characters to the youth and profit from the impact their powers have on people (a metaphor for Japan's rise as a cultural power as it relatively declines as a manufacturing power). Further government control, like through the new Act, would continue to limit what Imperial Ads could do with superhumans it contracts with.

Of course, with this show, there could always be a larger conspiracy underneath it.

Defuser

Code:
Rakudai  [B]2,756[/B]
Asterisk    [B]1,706[/B]
Seraph S2  [B]1543[/B]
Hackadoll [B]1,155[/B]
Hidan no AriaAA   [B]1,142[/B]
Dance with Devils [B]1,220+937[/B]
Heavy Object [B]966[/B]

Everything bombed badly.

Code:
Rakudai  [B]2,756[/B]
Asterisk    [B]1,706[/B]
Seraph S2  [B]1543[/B]
Hackadoll [B]1,155[/B]
Heavy Object [B]966[/B]

Everything bombed badly.

What does everything mean? Like, what is the context here?

pbayne

Wow i think charlotte is the best anime i've seen since steins;gate. However that could be because everything else is such garbo but i don't think so.

I started to watch that crimson ghost show and noped the fuck out once the adult told the kid to molest the other.

Gate took a rather dark turn and i hope it doesn't get that bad because i enjoyed the first 12 eps for the concept and dumb fun.

I can't get over the irony of this line. This is only possible if Charlotte is the only anime you've seen since 2011.

No, as I sorta half-mentioned, I understand that the show goes dark places. But the tone doesn't match. Ever. I'd argue that S1 has that feeling of glorifying violence - in that typical cartoony way - the vast majority of the time, rather than making it seem like a bad thing. Not all the time, but definitely most of the time.

Looking into it, I understand that the manga is apparently dark as fuck, but they utterly failed to communicate this during the first season. It was either a bad adaptation, because the tone does not fit what the source material apparently contains, or a good adaptation, because it got rid of some bleak shit that really had no place in the story they're telling.

Yeah, I gathered that much (she's in the OP), but that doesn't suddenly allow me to accept it. It would have to actually be handled well. And I don't really have faith in this show to do that.

Maybe I'll keep watching anyway, just to see. This is just such a bummer, though.

What would you need to happen to consider it to be handled well? In my opinion the rape scene is necesary for whats to come. I can just spoil you if youd like.

Cornbread78

Yeah that was amazing. Straight to the point and exactly what I want out of a mystery anime.

Erased 1

I think we can call it early in saying that this is probably the best show of the season. I'm ususally not one for plots like these because I find the story and characters really boring. I find the first episode it to have a semi droll tone but in a good way that helped set up our main character. It really does feel like he's kind of bored with his life. It sucks that the mother died, she was a really interesting character. I'm kind of interested in seeing what happens after he turns into a kid again. (I assumed that's what happened.) Will he stay a kid permanently, or will he be able to solve the case in the second or third episode and go back to his life as an adult?

Shoujo-tachi: Yellow Subs edition
Horriblesubs I see you're trying to replicate the shows feeling in acting like it's the early 2000's again. I think I'll keep on watching only because of Kodura reminding me of best girl Yukino. Otherwise this show isn't worth watching.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1167141

Somehow people will see it, lol. I'm trying. Time for bed Ya'll

I agree with thus post almost 100%, Charlotte was great, (yes, it should have been 24 episodes, blah, blah, blah)

That part is Crimson was fucking gross

I just didn't mind that stuff in Gate because I recognized it has a dark side to it as well from se as on 1. Plus, that dude is going to play the asshole villian this time around..

Russ T

Banned
What would you need to happen to consider it to be handled well? In my opinion the rape scene is necesary for whats to come. I can just spoil you if youd like.

It's very rare for me to believe that a rape scene is actually necessary. I don't really have an answer to your question. It's just one of those "you know it when you see it" sort of things.

Will it be addressed this season? (I'm assuming the answer is yes.)

Cornbread78

It's very rare for me to believe that a rape scene is actually necessary. I don't really have an answer to your question. It's just one of those "you know it when you see it" sort of things.

Itami is gonna kick his ass when he sees him trying it on one of his harem girls, I can already see it and root for him to light up the abusing ahole.

Yes, it should be covered in chapter 2 or 3 and further explored halfway through the season.

Itami is gonna kick his ass when he sees him trying it on one of his harem girls, I can already see it and root for him to light up the abusing ahole.

Close but this is not an harem and it wont be.

Shouta

I don't really think it does it in a cartoony way. Well, that heli sequence is fairly cartoony, lol. But the rest of it is definitely not cartoony. It's PG-rated but it's supposed to be dark-ish. I mean in S1,
the deserter soldiers in Italica were brutally murdering civvies and taunting others with the dead bodies of their friends.
D=

I don't think it's a bad adaptation on a technical level. However, I do think that because violence is something a lot of folks have some degree of tolerance for, the toning down of that in S1 definitely made it seem less brutal that it should be. S1 is pretty faithful to the manga aside from that. They toned some of it down in this ep 1 of S2 as well, particularly in the back half.

Yes, it's addressed. If you want to read a detailed answer, I can write it up for you.

Baalzebup

I don't quite see where you're coming from with this. Even S1 had Pina say that if the bandits would successfully take the city of Italica, pretty much everything that can be considered female would get raped. Similarry Itami was picking their lot of the prisoners with this in mind, which Kurokawa and Kuribayashi noted.

The both onscreen times that the JSDF annihilates the opposition in the 1st season are depicted as swift, brutal shows of force that leaves everyone witnessing it shaken to the core. Rory is a demi-goddess who gets off when people are dying nearby and has to either fuck or kill to get the buzz out of her system. The Emperor is a total dick who sends all those vassal armies to their deaths in Alnus to consolidate power in the Empire. Bozes is ordered to go sacrifice her virginity to Itami to try to keep the news of his mistreatment a secret. The red dragon is even now randomly annihilating whole townships, even after the loss of its arm as Yao can attest.

The idea that this is just silly fun fantasy vs teh army show with cute girls is a total failure in reading between the lines.

Jarmel

Banned
As presented, Imperial Ads opposes the current bureau because loosening the media ban on superhumans would allow them to market those characters to the youth and profit from the impact their powers have on people (a metaphor for Japan's rise as a cultural power as it relatively declines as a manufacturing power). Further government control, like through the new Act, would continue to limit what Imperial Ads could do with superhumans it contracts with.

Of course, with this show, there could always be a larger conspiracy underneath it.

Was there anything though about the Rights act further restricting the publication of superheroes? I didn't pick up anything about how the news ban was going to be lifted or that it was due to expire.

I also got the impression that the female reporter/agent for Imperial really despised superhumans. She did call them freaks in one of the earlier episodes and one of the company's plan was to depower a number of the younger superhumans through chocolates.

duckroll

Was there anything though about the Rights act further restricting the publication of superheroes? I didn't pick up anything about how the news ban was going to be lifted or that it was due to expire.

I also got the impression that the female reporter/agent for Imperial really despised superhumans. She did call them freaks in one of the earlier episodes and one of the company's plan was to depower a number of the younger superhumans through chocolates.

She doesn't call any of the shots though. Her boss does, and I'm pretty sure he's a superhuman. :p

Jarmel

Banned
Code:
Rakudai  [B]2,756[/B]
Asterisk    [B]1,706[/B]
Seraph S2  [B]1543[/B]
Hackadoll [B]1,155[/B]
Heavy Object [B]966[/B]

Everything bombed badly.

I need this broken into Fractales.

Russ T

Banned
I don't really think it does it in a cartoony way. Well, that heli sequence is fairly cartoony, lol. But the rest of it is definitely not cartoony. It's PG-rated but it's supposed to be dark-ish. I mean in S1,
the deserter soldiers in Italica were brutally murdering civvies and taunting others with the dead bodies of their friends.
D=

I don't think it's a bad adaptation on a technical level. However, I do think that because violence is something a lot of folks have some degree of tolerance for, the toning down of that in S1 definitely made it seem less brutal that it should be. S1 is pretty faithful to the manga aside from that. They toned some of it down in this ep 1 of S2 as well, particularly in the back half.

Yes, it's addressed. If you want to read a detailed answer, I can write it up for you.

Well, I suppose maybe my expectation blinded me to the truth? I dunno...

Itami's a fuckin' goofball and it definitely gives off vibes of a harem anime with how all these girls want to be around him (for whatever reason), albeit never going so far as to commit. Rory's definitely a cartoon character at this point in the story, the other girls have their semi-regular moments of Being Cute (even seductive dark elf lady fell into some handy tropes once she was introduced!), there's a huge emphasis on diplomacy and trade and stuff. EDIT: Oh yeah and I forgot about the Multiple Scenes and Many Minutes spent on Pina's posse being obsessed with BL manga. I mean, c'mon... (I know they also use that obsession as an excuse to smuggle some things, but that doesn't mean that obsession doesn't exist.)

I feel like that's the stuff the show focused on. That's why I feel like it didn't sell it well to me. "It" being what the show's actually about. All that bad stuff was happening, of course, and I knew it was happening, but it was mostly peripheral to the interactions of the main cast, if that makes sense.

Anyway, no, don't spoil it for me. I just wanted to be sure it'd be addressed this season, and not just hanging in the air until a potential third season. I sure hope it's not just rape as a plot device.

I guess I'll keep watching after all. Maybe now that I know what the show is, seeing it in a different light will change how I feel about it retroactively. I dunno.

I DUNNO!

The idea that this is just silly fun fantasy vs teh army show with cute girls is a total failure in reading between the lines.

Yo if that's all you got from what I'm saying then I guess I didn't communicate well, because I would never say "teh". Even sarcastically. How dare you!

I feel like I did explain my position pretty solidly, though. Here's the one-sentence summary: "The show sucked at selling itself as what it actually wants to be." There you go.

Shouta

I don't quite see where you're coming from with this. Even S1 had Pina say that if the bandits would successfully take the city of Italica, pretty much everything that can be considered female would get raped. Similarry Itami was picking their lot of the prisoners with this in mind, which Kurokawa and Kuribayashi noted.

The both onscreen times that the JSDF annihilates the opposition in the 1st season are depicted as swift, brutal shows of force that leaves everyone witnessing it shaken to the core. Rory is a demi-goddess who gets off when people are dying nearby and has to either fuck or kill to get the buzz out of her system. The Emperor is a total dick who sends all those vassal armies to their deaths in Alnus to consolidate power in the Empire. Bozes is ordered to go sacrifice her virginity to Itami to try to keep the news of his mistreatment a secret. The red dragon is even now randomly annihilating whole townships, even after the loss of its arm as Yao can attest.

Oh yeah, that Bozes situation. lol I keep forgetting that because it doesn't end up like that but yeah, Pina does say to her to do that.

Actually, now that I think about it. The situation with the former lord of Italica kind of hints at what is going on right now if you carefully think about it. It mentions he goes out of the way to hire non-human maids and he had his own personal affinity/fetish for them. If he liked them, then he doesn't need to go out of the way to hire them, no? Unless there's another reason for that point.

Code:
Rakudai  [B]2,756[/B]
Asterisk    [B]1,706[/B]
Seraph S2  [B]1543[/B]
Hackadoll [B]1,155[/B]
Heavy Object [B]966[/B]

Everything bombed badly.

What does everything mean? Like, what is the context here?

Those are most likely the BD/DVD sales for Fall season Animes.

Aside from those about the highest new series sales I've saw was only about 6k, with fanfavorites likes OPM not doing as hot. Monogatari was probably the highest but it's an establish franchise.

Recently I get the feeling that Anime in general just isn't selling like it used to.

Is it really when over 60% of the show is just Itami playing around with his harem? For all the horror and tragedy the show tells us is happening in its world, we don't really see that for the most part. Princess Pina is obviously able to enjoy running around another world looking at Yaoi without being too concerned about her citizens, Itami keeps on smiling, and blue-haired girl keeps on being best girl.

The only recurring character who is really affected by anything is Tuka and she's.. not really all that damaged for having her whole world burnt.

It's not that all that stuff isn't there, but it's the difference between telling someone, "Hey, look, the world is rough" and showing them that. The show has yet to really show us that in a meaningful way, so we can hardly be blamed for not reading between the lines and building emotional connections on our own.

Edit: Russ already covered basically everything I said. I jumped the gun a bit. :p

Aside from those about the highest new series sales I've saw was only about 6k, with fanfavorites likes OPM not doing as hot. Monogatari was probably the highest but it's an establish franchise.

This is what I meant, more or less. The list was noticeably missing the bigger shows of last season, so I didn't know if it was a selection of certain shows doing certain things or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom