• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Well, it looks like Animelab has finished its announcements.

• Assassination Classroom Season 2
  • BBK/BRNK
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Divine Gate
  • Erased
  • Girls Beyond the Wasteland
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
  • Haruchika – Haruta & Chika
  • Konosuba
  • Norn9
  • Pandora in the Crimson Shell
  • Prince of Stride: Alternative
  • Snow White with the Red Hair Season 2
  • Undefeated Bahamat Chronicle

Pretty damn full list.

John Blade

I would recommend checking out the manga after finishing the series because there is a lot more chapters left. Plus if I recall correctly the anime has an original ending.

Another thing I will have to look now. Man...so many stuff to look into now.
1079ee600af9b5d49ab7bb224fda9431884b9932_hq.jpg

Just T

Towa no Quon 3

Much better than the second episode. I’m glad this took the time to finally dive into some backstories.
At first I thought Epsilon might have been related to Tei, glad that didn’t turn out to be the case. His past was interesting though and surprised he has powers too. What a terrible demise for his sister. Quon’s was very interesting too, so now I know where the Towa name comes from. It also had a tragic end;
I can see why Quon is so obsessed with trying to save everyone now. Also that style switch up during the backstory looked great, really made that moment a strong one.

Towa no Quon 4

plaYZzi.jpg

Quon, wtf was that.
This cyborg has tried to repeatedly eliminate you in the previous episodes including this one, yet in spite of that he is still taken to Fantasium and as soon as he wakes up you let him know this is the place his organization was looking for, all because he has powers too and that somehow makes him on the same side as you. I get Quon wants to save every one of them but letting cybernetic pyro in the place where everyone you saved is hiding out wasn’t the smartest move. Luckily Shuu is turning over a new leaf but a little bit of that felt rushed to me in the end tbh. Ah, it was neat to see Yuuma have more control over his power and contribute a bit but alas Quon still got messed up, which probably could have been avoided if he thought things through more. Also the director is an odd one, seems like he just wants Quon.

Well only 2 episodes left, watching some more of the new season first, already a bit behind.

zulux21

You really should play the VN when you have the chance. The Chaos;Head anime is probably one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. It not only tries to compress the story into only 13 episodes, cutting out a ton of plot-relevant scenes, it also adds completely anime original filler episodes that don't even make any sense.

yeah I plan to eventually give the game a try. I figure a lot of the made up terms at the end were just taken from the game where they were actually explained.

it's been years since chaos head but the sting of the anime still hurts... I still haven't watched stien's gate because of it because I fear people are just trying to trick me >.<;

(I plan to watch the gate soon)

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 91 [ Fairy Tail Zero start ]

Odd start to get Natsu and Happy to go to the island for some random reason. Otherwise, the ED music could have been stronger but it is something that will probably grow on me, same for the OP.

Kind of slow start, by Dyer looked amazing.

Cornbread78

Well, it looks like Animelab has finished its announcements.

• Assassination Classroom Season 2
  • BBK/BRNK
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Divine Gate
  • Erased
  • Girls Beyond the Wasteland
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
  • Haruchika – Haruta & Chika
  • Konosuba
  • Norn9
  • Pandora in the Crimson Shell
  • Prince of Stride: Alternative
  • Snow White with the Red Hair Season 2
  • Undefeated Bahamat Chronicle

Pretty damn full list.

That is a good list! Hopefully,Konosuba gets picked up by Crunchy for the west. Starts 1/13.

Futurecard Buddyfight:100 (Hundred) Episode 39
CYPr6M8WwAEThLX.png

I still want the Mikados to adopt Ikazuchi please he needs happiness in his life
he even gave the biggest sacrifice in trying to O-Yamigedo Spirit Pacification
. Good episode and development. This is still so intense.

John Blade

Don't know if anyone here don't mind but just asking. Is anyone can make the avatar below. Just outline around the main character and remove the backdrop behind her. Sorry if I ask too much.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: GIRS Crisis Episode 4 [engdub]
Love the Fiery March Colossus in Shion's deck it was wonderful. Shion though continues to be the character in this anime that gets the short end of the stick and often the most embarrassing ways possible
losing the entire Kiba family fortune in a duel, how are his parents not mad at him or the entire family. Ace is cruel.

Magus cards are nice.

The Big O 18

What a goofy episode. Beck breaks out of prison via cartoon physics and somehow constructs a perfect model of Roger's bone structure and vocal chords (how?) so he can make Big O run into the ocean (why not just steal it) by putting the bust of Roger onto a moving platform and having it yell BIG O over and over again. Beck also has a Voltron (WHERE DID HE GET THAT?) and the Big O is confirmed to just tunnel through the ground, even buildings which it was on top of and them pop up anywhere. And then they have a big robo fight in the Japanese companies lawn with a cut out Mt. Fuji in the background. ??????

The episode isn't bad, just extremely out of place and weird. But Dorothy saves it by BEING A HUGE FUCKING BADASS. Seriously, is Roger Batman or is Dorothy? Dorothy had preptime and made sure she didn't get magnetted or disc drived again while Roger just gets caught like an idiot.

Just T

Prince of Stride Alternative 1

Not a bad start, the characters are alright so far and I like the parkour. Hopefully that stays consistent.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Finally a new season, at least we know it won't suck too much because we have GATE and Gundam.

Watching:
Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi - The first episode made me excited for episode 2, please don't screw this up.
Schwarzesmarken - Haven't watch the first episode yet, but I refuse to believe any story set in Muv Luv Alternative universe going to suck.

Waiting for More Before Deciding:
Active Raid

Watch for the LOL (boob):
Musaign no Phantom World - WHY?

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1

This is definitely a type of series some would not be interested concept wise. However, for me it was a fantastic episode. The animation, OST, characters, and Rakugo were really compelling, comfy, and provided a vibrant atmosphere. The subtle mannerism in the Rakugo and how it was animated were beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed Yotaro's simple Mob boss story as it was quite funny. I also have to add I love Akira Ishida and Yuu Koboyash, their voices were pleasant to listen to. The fact they're in this anime is a big reason to watch it.

Between this and Erased I really don't know which was my favorite first episode. They were both so good.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 5 [EngDub]
CYP7RazWsAUEHrd.png
CYP7yJdWwAEMBIJ.png

Excellent duel this episode with Toshiki Kai bringing the Dragonic Overlord (The End) epicness back to this franchise. It was vastly lacking in the Kagero clan department. And then afterwards seeing all our other favorites, Shingo, Naoki Ishida, Kamui Katsuragi, and Taichi Miwa. I can't wait to see them stick around. They all were so missed so so much.
CYP9lQcWsAAFChI.png

It feels like they are setting Shion as the next Aichi Sendou, Kai helping inspire him and giving him a Paladin card etc.

DEATH™

Guys, any SoL shows that you can recommend this season? I seriously skipped last season because of the lack of it.

(Marathoning OPM was GOOD)

3NpKwWz.png

Don't know if anyone here don't mind but just asking. Is anyone can make the avatar below. Just outline around the main character and remove the backdrop behind her. Sorry if I ask too much.

I just did a quick and choppy cut around it, darkened it a bit, and kind of redrew the part of the pony tail that fades into the background. Not sure if someone else already got to it, but there is one done at least.

DEATH™;191661569 said:
Guys, any SoL shows that you can recommend this season? I seriously skipped last season because of the lack of it.

But last season had Rabbit House.

DEATH™;191661569 said:

Glasslip ought to be watched and Kimi to Boku (for past season stuff).

Haruchika is a good one this season.

Glasslip ought to be watched and Kimi to Boku (for past season stuff).

Haruchika is a good one this season.

Glasslip is so bad, please don't try to murder people. :c HaruChika is not a SoL. That's actually my biggest pet peeve is how many things get called "slice of life" which aren't. A slice of life represents sample of a character's life, which usually lacks a coherent plot and exposition. Non Non Biyori, Is That Order A Rabbit, and Aria are slices of life.

End small rant.

Glasslip is so bad, please don't try to murder people. :c HaruChika is not a SoL. That's actually my biggest pet peeve is how many things get called "slice of life" which aren't. A slice of life represents sample of a character's life, which usually lacks a coherent plot and exposition. Non Non Biyori, Is That Order A Rabbit, and Aria are slices of life.

End small rant.

Slice of Life doesn't mean there isn't a plot or exposition.

Jarmel

Banned
CR-11
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

So when are the Americans going to start kicking dogs?

The writing for this show alternates between being interesting and then being utter shit.

Please Tell Me! Galko-chan Episode 1

Huh, that wasn't really what I was expecting. Didn't really work for me as a comedy, but it was alright I suppose.

End small rant.

But Haruchika is offering a sample of Haruta's and Chika's school life in their music club.

Taruranto

The Big O 18

What a goofy episode. Beck breaks out of prison via cartoon physics and somehow constructs a perfect model of Roger's bone structure and vocal chords (how?) so he can make Big O run into the ocean (why not just steal it) by putting the bust of Roger onto a moving platform and having it yell BIG O over and over again. Beck also has a Voltron (WHERE DID HE GET THAT?) and the Big O is confirmed to just tunnel through the ground, even buildings which it was on top of and them pop up anywhere. And then they have a big robo fight in the Japanese companies lawn with a cut out Mt. Fuji in the background. ??????

The episode isn't bad, just extremely out of place and weird. But Dorothy saves it by BEING A HUGE FUCKING BADASS. Seriously, is Roger Batman or is Dorothy? Dorothy had preptime and made sure she didn't get magnetted or disc drived again while Roger just gets caught like an idiot.

Ahah, that's one of my favorite episodes, actually.

One thing about Big O is that I like almost all the characters.

While the story veers off into wacky nonsense, the characters never really irked me.

Slice of Life doesn't mean there isn't a plot or exposition.

From the Cambridge Dictionary:
A &#8203;film, &#8203;piece of &#8203;literature, or a &#8203;play might be &#8203;described as a slice of &#8203;life if it &#8203;describes or &#8203;shows the &#8203;ordinary &#8203;details of &#8203;real &#8203;life.

Non Non Biyori is about the lives of a group of girls. There is no conflict, there is no ultimate climax, there are the just the day-to-day details of the lives of children growing up in the country. Aria, while being about girls who want to become Undies, but they NEVER get any closer to that goal. They practice, have adventures, but there is no overarching conflict, resolution, or action. Cowboy Bebop was a slice of life even.

Compare this to HaruChika, just as an example. HaruChika has already set up a defined plot - there is a mystery to solve, a romance to carry forward, a music club to save, and plot holes to fill (another aspect conspicuously absent in SoL). Very, very different. Maybe it takes place in a realistic life environment, but it can't be defined as a slice of life.

Edit: I meant Undines, but girls who want to become Undies is fine too. It'll probably be made into an anime before I die.

That's something kind of unique about Concrete Revolutio.

It more or less puts Japan's values and morality right next to America's.

Clov

Aria, while being about girls who want to become Undies, but they NEVER get any closer to that goal. They practice, have adventures, but there is no overarching conflict, resolution, or action.

It's been a while since I watched Aria, but I don't think it was about... this.

From the Cambridge Dictionary:

Non Non Biyori is about the lives of a group of girls. There is no conflict, there is no ultimate climax, there are the just the day-to-day details of the lives of children growing up in the country. Aria, while being about girls who want to become Undies, but they NEVER get any closer to that goal. They practice, have adventures, but there is no overarching conflict, resolution, or action. Cowboy Bebop was a slice of life even.

Compare this to HaruChika, just as an example. HaruChika has already set up a defined plot - there is a mystery to solve, a romance to carry forward, a music club to save, and plot holes to fill (another aspect conspicuously absent in SoL). Very, very different. Maybe it takes place in a realistic life environment, but it can't be defined as a slice of life.

Edit: I meant Undines, but girls who want to become Undies is fine too. It'll probably be made into an anime before I die.

I dont see how that definition excludes Haruchika. Is admiration for a sensei not an aspect of real life? Is trying to figure out who left a love note not an aspect of real school life? Is saving a school club from being elimination not a problem in ordinary high school lives? I dont remember my high school having every single club bursting from the door with members, so Id say this is something composed of the ordinary details of real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom