• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Man crunchy really needs a "short anime" category, I need some popcorn anime. What's on here? Already watched Can't Understand and Seki-kun, currently crunching my way through Tekyuu

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Gate 13
Hmm, didn't expect that rape scene to be included, considering the anime already omit several scene of it in the previous season. But boy the execution sure is cringeworthy.
This one focus on politic and another world red light district.

Narag

Man crunchy really needs a "short anime" category, I need some popcorn anime. What's on here? Already watched Can't Understand and Seki-kun, currently crunching my way through Tekyuu

Ai Mai Mi
Somera-chan
Hackadaoll
Sparrow's Hotel
Poyopoyop
Kagewani
Yamishibai

just to name a few

pbayne

Dagashi Kashi 1

On the comedy side it was a bit weak but i mostly enjoyed the characters. Pulling for SayaxSimon the digger look alike. The dad is amazing. Hotaru's was kind of the odd one out, din't care either way about her.

Moe ghost in the shell 1

A part of me believes there might be some decent show buried under all the bullshit in this but im not gonna watch to find out.

Galko-chan 1[/B

Some real good shorts this season. Funny stuff.

There's no implication. Rape is worse than murder if we're talking about the context of cruelty and human rights.

But it isn't. Killing someone is even worse, looking at it from the context of his human rights.

Lots of people seems to think like that because death is associated with "eternal rest", with afterlife, with thoughts like "at least he won't suffer anymore". It's obviously stupid, not being able to think about what happened because you are dead isn't a consolation prize. That's a egoistical way of thinking of a third party, what we like to tell to ourselves.

John Blade

Well, its the weekend so, it mean to watch a short anime. I àm going to go watch an old anime movie which I never watch for 10 years. Going to pop in Ninja Scroll. Wonder how well it age now....

Parfait

Holy shit, PSO2

Not even I had tolerance for that, What a disaster. Who thought this was a good idea?

Gate S2 1

That Scene was pretty offputting, which I figured was the goal. Rest of the ep was enjoyable. Pretty much the one show I'm looking forward to this season, aside from Drrr, but even I'm getting tired of Drrr.

Puruzi

Banned
What's that you say? Oh, anime. Right, I watched some of those too.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 01

A group of girls full of optimism and desire to do the right thing and help people get the chance to do so as magical girls, saving the whole world as the heroes they always wanted to be. I'm sure this series will play the premise out completely straight, and there will be no despair at all.

Glitter Force: Origins Futari wa Pretty Cure 01

The actual inspiration for the theme connecting the shows I chose to watch today, as I wait for Glitter Force season 2.

The foundations of the elements of the later series are laid down, and I have less complaints about the "bog standard" nature here, as there is some seniority. The unique element of Precure, the hand to hand combat element, is present in this first episode, although the choreography seems kind of slow, but that could just be conveying that the girls aren't used to it yet. Also, why do they turn into Dural from Virtua Fighter while they transform?

Translation wise, the good folks at Ocean and YTV did a great job at actually releasing it unlike US liscensor 4kids who never did anything after buying the rights, leaving the franchise in a limbo in the US for 10 years until Glitter Force.

Unlike Glitter Force, Pretty Cure as it was shortened to is less heavy handed on the localization, retaining the original soundtrack and being a more direct translation. Of course, I can only assume from all these English names that Natalie and Hannah must be from Canada. Strange how the dog was allowed to have a Japanese name. The voice acting is early 2000s tier from actors with few other credits to their names, so GF beats it in that regard, but there is still a charm to the cheese factor and an odd nostalgia to the retro feel (YMMV on this one).

Yuki Yuna is fantastic, but the ending isn't great.

Heartcatch is the best Precure

Luck & Logic Episode 1
tumblr_o0oygjTUX81s21xzoo3_540.jpg
tumblr_o0oygjTUX81s21xzoo6_r1_540.jpg

Onii-chan was a great Villager A and has a really great design. Will keep following for Yoshichika alone.

Also I love the concept of the Logicalists and the Covenators as well as downloading the gates and closing them. Its all really compelling and provocative.

Tabi Machi Late Night Show 01

Well, that was really charming. Loved how this short was able to tell such a comfy and emotional story about saying farewell within eight minutes. Even if there were a lot of subtle moments I still had a clear picture about what the characters were thinking. A really nice example of "show don't tell" done correctly.

The animation (or lack thereof) kinda took me out of the moment at the beginning because they focused on a dynamic task like cooking but during the conversation after that it complemented the laid-back atmosphere really well.

A pleasant short and I guess I'll chalk up another good thing to come out of the ULTRA SUPER ANIME TIME block. Shame that we'll only get four episodes of this if the Crunchyroll description is to be believed.

Sore ga Seiyuu 12

That was really charming. I liked that the big problem for the concert was something as realistic as injuring a foot, and I really liked seeing Futaba's growth as a character to the point where she can take charge of what needs to get done.

Russ T

Banned
But it isn't. Killing someone is even worse, looking at it from the context of his human rights.

Lots of people seems to think like that because death is associated with "eternal rest", with afterlife, with thoughts like "at least he won't suffer anymore". It's obviously stupid, not being able to think about what happened because you are dead isn't a consolation prize. That's a egoistical way of thinking of a third party, what we like to tell to ourselves.

I was really hoping no one would start saying things like this...

This is going to be my only post about it because I'm not going to get into it in this thread, of all places, with some some internet randos.

Everything duckroll said is true.

On top of that, there's a certain context that you seem to be ignoring, and that is: society. As in, our human society, and the shit that happens within it, and how people belittle rape as if it's meaningless, etc, etc, etc. Yes, of course, looking at it objectively, and without context, rape is "better" than death, because death is final, and rape is not. But that's ignoring so many important issues and subtleties that it approaches heartlessness. There are much better sources for learning about why this is a problem than me and my poorly written post. If you're actually interested in understanding why the topic of rape elicits a stronger emotional response than murder, I suggest reading about it from the perspective of rape survivors.

If you can't accept anything I've written above, at least accept this: Everyone reacts differently to things, and I, for one, do not appreciate rape as nothing but a plot device. It better damn well lead to something meaningful or that's a huge fucking mark against Gate, in my books.

As I said: only post!

BBK/BRNK Episode 1 – The Witch's Son
tumblr_o0p296SfQi1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o0p296SfQi1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Really intense start, could have had a bit more action from Hii-kun but I imagine he will get a chance to go all out in the next episode or more.
probably cant be trusted due to that last line from him when he smirked
. I do hope they tell us more of what destruction happened from the fall and why the memorial was held unless I missed the details.

Awesome song and visuals for the moments when they use their Bubuki's.

Bubuki Buranki - 1

Pacing in this one seemed ridiculously fast. This should have been two episodes instead. The story so far seems pretty chuuni with an antagonist squad thats straight up a cosplay group. It should be good for some entertaining action scenes though.
The CG was pretty good overall with some nice fluent scenes, but every now and then there was some character animation that felt very stiff and wooden (the father was especially bad for some reason). Facial expressions also were a bit hit or miss. Unfortunately this took me out of the experience a bit too often. I still count it as a success overall and am looking forward to Sanzigens future improvements.
The real star of this first episode though was the background art, some really fantastic stuff!

dan2026

Agreed. To me killing someone is the ultimate crime. No matter what the context.
However I do agree that from what I have read, Gate is terrible pandering trash of the worst order. With no storytelling merit at all.

Durarara X2 25

gBL7HP6.png

If there isn't a gif of this scene by the end of the day then the Internet has failed.

The last season of DRRR begins. More intrigue, more characters, more Namie not so subtlety professing her love for the wooden personality that is her brother and more insanity.

I don't know how important this episode will be later on but this was a hilarious episode. The comedic timing was spot on and it had some of the funniest moments in the series.

Great first episode. Also had the best opening of X2 as well.

Durarara X2 27

The last season of DRRR begins. More intrigue, more characters, more Namie not so subtlety professing her love for the wooden personality that is her brother and more insanity.

I don't know how important this episode will be later on but this was a hilarious episode. The comedic timing was spot on and it had some of the funniest moments in the series.

Great first episode. Also had the best opening of X2 as well.

Everything but the vocals was likable, FLOW vocals are so hit and miss. I wish a different group was chosen. At least the non vocals part was good, and I loved the beginning part of it with all the characters

It's quite interesting how often how much effort CG anime are putting into background artworks.

Sorry for the CG models, have some nice backgrounds.

Jarmel

Banned
What do you get when you combine a super edgy protagonist who killed his parents and had to deal with dogs eating his cold, cold food?
That has such cheesy and overwrought dialogue that would put Max Payne to shame?
That has a guy who upon proceeding to take a hostage, decides to recount information that apparently every mother tells their children anyway?
That has some shitty thrown in game elements that seems totally out of place?
That has side characters who randomly decide to race each other?
That has some of the worst backgrounds I've ever seen and is only a step below Re-Kan and is just an ugly ass show?
Why good sir, you get Divine Gate. I can't even recommend this as a troll rec. Of course as life is full of shit and unfair, it had to have the best OP I've seen this season so far.
Containing things such as style, animation, and overall direction. Elements that the show itself lacks.

Bubuki Buranki - 01

Really cool and atmospheric start of the episode that unfortuantely played with my expectations a bit too much. I got letdown by the second half.
CGI bothered me at first but I got kind of used to it, a mix of hit and miss throughout the episode. Really striking background art, I'll keep going just for this.

Album

Baalzebup

Agreed. To me killing someone is the ultimate crime. No matter what the context.
However I do agree that from what I have read, Gate is terrible pandering trash of the worst order. With no storytelling merit at all.

Hardly - In a world where Re:Monster exists, Gate is high art in comparison. And I ain't joking. It is almost like a catch-all series for trashy things people can hate in a series.

The trailer made it seem like some kind of card game though...

I mean, it has cards in it..

So, he lost his logic card which lets him use his powers. You think you'd tuck such an important thing away somewhere safe. On that note, if it's a power inherent to them, why do they need a card to activate it anyways? How does that make any sense?

And I'm not sure how they just ran off and then jumped into a vehicle... like, whose vehicle was that? Are these guys actually just thieves?

"Last Final Finish Sword". Her attack is... triple redundant. :l

Aww, he can't help being a generic lead character in a battle anime. His sister asked him to be.

dan2026

Hardly - In a world where Re:Monster exists, Gate is high art in comparison. And I ain't joking. It is almost like a catch-all series for trashy things people can hate in a series.

Never heard of that series. But I can guess its pretty awful.
To me Gate just seemed like a giant net to catch as many otaku as possible by including every single trashy fetish they could think of.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shoujo tachi wa kouya mezazu 1
Well, you know what they say, write what you know.
A hardworking nice guy asked by a mysterious girl to make bishoujo game. Could be interesting. They did mention yuri is the purest form of love, so i guess i'll need to watch the next episode.

Divine Gate 1

Best OP for now. The full version
As for the show itself...meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom