• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say they're looking for "slice of life", I just assume they mean "cute girls doing cute things" unless otherwise stated.

It's my tiny unnecessary crusade. When I'm not singing the gospel of KyoAni I have to find other things to argue with people over.

I dont see how that definition excludes Haruchika. Is admiration for a sensei not an aspect of real life? Is trying to figure out who left a love note not an aspect of real school life?

In that case, Kill la Kill is a slice of life. She goes to school, has dinner with friends, and argues with family. A SoL is about the details of life. It doesn't just have aspects of life within it, it is about life.

HaruChika is about how the music club is suffering from lack of membership and how they go about saving it. It's a matter of holistic plot vs minute plot.

An easy way to tell the difference is comparing the summaries of each.

HaruChika said:
Haruta and Chika are members of their high school wind instrument club that is on the verge of being shut down. The two are childhood friends, and they spend their days practicing hard while also trying to recruit new members. When a certain incident happens within their school, they work together to solve it.
GachiUsa said:
Cocoa arrives at the cafe Rabbit House one day, excited for rabbits. She actually all but lives in that cafe. She meets lots of different girls there, including a tiny and cool girl named Chino, a tough and soldier-esque girl named Rize, a spacey and quintessentially Japanese girl named Chiyo, and the ordinary but dignified Sharo.

HaruChika has a conflict that they work together to resolve.

GachiUsa is about cute girls working in a cafe and hanging out.

duckroll

That's something kind of unique about Concrete Revolutio.

It more or less puts Japan's values and morality right next to America's.

Is that really unique? Considering how Japan's culture in general is pretty xenophobic in nature, but yet their pop culture post-WW2 celebrates a lot of American creations, that same contradiction exists in the anime/manga industry in particular where it originally spawned out of the malcontent of a younger generation post-WW2 at conservative values in the nation and had a pretty strong anti-establishment leaning. I don't think it is unusual to find that undercurrent running in Japanese entertainment - they like using ideas and concepts established by the West, and at the same time they are proud to be Japanese and of their own mythologies and achievements, but yet there is often a lot of social commentary and critique of the actions and attitudes of America as a foreign power, and of the Japanese government as an establishment.

I guess the main difference is that in most works, it is either/or, where the subject matter is either about anti-American stuff, or it is about anti-government stuff. Here they just fuse the two together because it makes perfect sense for the era - the decades right after the war where Japan was rebuilding itself as a new world power under the guidance of the USA is the perfect period to use this sort of commentary.

Clov

When people say they're looking for "slice of life", I just assume they mean "cute girls doing cute things" unless otherwise stated.

Speaking of which, any anime in this genre airing this season? There's usually at least one every season, and I usually watch it. I'd like to continue that.

duckroll

Do the Nuremberg Trials exist in this universe?

That's a good question, but so far we have actually seen no evidence that the war referred to in the show is actually the same World War II that happened in reality. Germany has never been mentioned iirc, and by the end of the season (you're almost there! don't miss the last shot!!!!!) you'll see that the war didn't really end the same way either. It's possible the entire war was simply between America and Japan over some superhuman related matters.

TUSR

Banned
In that case, Kill la Kill is a slice of life.

RsE1mZh.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hannibal slices a few lives in the show.

Jarmel

Banned
Is that really unique? Considering how Japan's culture in general is pretty xenophobic in nature, but yet their pop culture post-WW2 celebrates a lot of American creations, that same contradiction exists in the anime/manga industry in particular where it originally spawned out of the malcontent of a younger generation post-WW2 at conservative values in the nation and had a pretty strong anti-establishment leaning. I don't think it is unusual to find that undercurrent running in Japanese entertainment - they like using ideas and concepts established by the West, and at the same time they are proud to be Japanese and of their own mythologies and achievements, but yet there is often a lot of social commentary and critique of the actions and attitudes of America as a foreign power, and of the Japanese government as an establishment.

I guess the main difference is that in most works, it is either/or, where the subject matter is either about anti-American stuff, or it is about anti-government stuff. Here they just fuse the two together because it makes perfect sense for the era - the decades right after the war where Japan was rebuilding itself as a new world power under the guidance of the USA is the perfect period to use this sort of commentary.

The problem I have is that we don't see the United States perspective in any sort of deep or complex viewpoint from the American side. For example we have the Americans committing human experimentation equal to the Nazis and there isn't any perspective on that side that gives a human element to it. Instead the anime has these blonde stereotypical soldiers running around.

Part of the issue I'm having with the show is that it wants to portray a realistic world surrounding superhumans but many of the depictions come off as childish. It might be a limitation of Aikawa as a writer or the 24 minute format but instead of things feeling nuanced, it seems shallow. This is also somewhat on the characters too but I'll get to that point in a separate post.

That's a good question, but so far we have actually seen no evidence that the war referred to in the show is actually the same World War II that happened in reality. Germany has never been mentioned iirc, and by the end of the season (you're almost there! don't miss the last shot!!!!!) you'll see that the war didn't really end the same way either. It's possible the entire war was simply between America and Japan over some superhuman related matters.

The depiction of America in this would make sense if we were talking about the 1920s eugenics America. It's somewhat frustrating not having a clear timeline of things as it might give better context towards certain attitudes and approaches.

Narag

silence of the lambs is the right choice, though the sequel isn't THAT bad anyways, there's just no reason to watch Red Dragon tbh, the show covers basically the same shit.

And anyways Mads for me has become the definitive Hannibal. Fun fact: David Tennant almost played the role of Hannibal.

Red Dragon mishandles the WIll Graham character entirely and Hannibal suffers from the whole "gonna feed ya to muh pig" shit that Oldman hams up.

I won't disagree that Red Dragon was already a meh movie and the show does Will MILES better. I wouldn't watch Hannibal solely because the tv show also does the pig stuff, and it has the bonus of what is arguably the most disgusting thing I have ever scene on television. I seriously don't know how they got away with that in NBC, but I'm glad they did.

duckroll

The depiction of America in this would make sense if we were talking about the 1920s eugenics America. It's somewhat frustrating not having a clear timeline of things as it might give better context towards certain attitudes and approaches.

Oh I think you're completely misunderstanding my point. This isn't about war crimes or human experimentation in particular. It has to be viewed in the context of what the commentary here is really saying. The moral compass in CR is obviously very different from our reality regardless of time period, so that point is moot. The social commentary they're making here though, in a heavy handed way (because Aikawa!), is that post-war, the Japanese government got into bed with America, and despite being enemies during the war they had no qualms with selling out their own pride and sovereignty to have a strong political ally to rebuild their industries and so on.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Damn. If Cowboy Bebop was slice of life, then I really did enjoy a single slice of life anime I have attempted to watch.

Granted, I still wanted more core-narrative episodes. >_>;

tuffy

Aria, while being about girls who want to become Undies, but they NEVER get any closer to that goal. They practice, have adventures, but there is no overarching conflict, resolution, or action.
Um, Aria: the Origination is pretty much all about getting closer to that goal. It's the season where the gloves come off and two of their mentors move on to other things, after all. A lot of slice-of-life type shows end in some sort of graduation and this one's no exception.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh I think you're completely misunderstanding my point. This isn't about war crimes or human experimentation in particular. It has to be viewed in the context of what the commentary here is really saying. The moral compass in CR is obviously very different from our reality regardless of time period, so that point is moot. The social commentary they're making here though, in a heavy handed way (because Aikawa!), is that post-war, the Japanese government got into bed with America, and despite being enemies during the war they had no qualms with selling out their own pride and sovereignty to have a strong political ally to rebuild their industries and so on.

Well I wasn't particularly refuting your point about Japan being in bed with America, more just commenting how warped the moral depictions are in the show. Without some level of context, elements come off as exaggerated. It's not just the American component but things with the government and ad/propaganda agency too.

I feel like I should point out though that Japan benefited a lot from their relationship with America, especially when you consider the alternatives with the USSR or even sentiment inside the US at the time. So in some ways it's kinda weird to see Americans villianized in this regard when Japan got off light on both reparations and control compared to Germany in the post WW2 years.

I want a Hannibal cooking show with foodgasms.

A world famous chef is unjustly imprisoned. While imprisoned, he begins teaching the inmates the art of cooking, but the warden of this jail is secretly a former Michelin star chef who has been training the guards in the way of cuisine. The two cross paths and the cook off for freedom begins!

Or are we talking like, cannibals and stuff?

Um, Aria: the Origination is pretty much all about getting closer to that goal. It's the season where the gloves come off and two of their mentors move on to other things, after all. A lot of slice-of-life type shows end in some sort of graduation and this one's no exception.

I haven't seen any of the series after Aria the Animation, which has no coherent plot progression. If Origination has a progression, than it isn't Slice of Life - regardless of its roots. On that note, concluding a show with an event so that fans feel like it ended doesn't instantly give the rest of the show a conflict to resolve. Not that Origination does that, but a lot of other shows that start off as slice of life have a token ending to give it a sense of conclusion.

jonjonaug

CR-11
shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

So when are the Americans going to start kicking dogs?

The writing for this show alternates between being interesting and then being utter shit.

I haven't watched CR at all, but that sure sounds like what I'd expect from any other Sho Aikawa show.

Narag

Well I wasn't particularly refuting your point about Japan being in bed with America, more just commenting how warped the moral depictions are in the show. Without some level of context, elements come off as exaggerated. It's not just the American component but things with the government and ad/propaganda agency too.

I feel like I should point out though that Japan benefited a lot from their relationship with America, especially when you consider the alternatives with the USSR or even sentiment inside the US at the time. So in some ways it's kinda weird to see Americans villianized in this regard when Japan got off light on both reparations and control compared to Germany in the post WW2 years.

I think the last episode provides some of the context you're after.

duckroll

Of course it's all exaggerated. There's nothing subtle in CR because it's a story told on a big operatic superhumans-in-the-world canvas. It is very much in the same spirit as Godzilla being a metaphor for the nuclear bomb. Everything is larger-than-life. When the main representation of America comes in the form of a half-human-half-alien superhero called Master Ultima who went into space to capture alien monsters to use as biological weapons.... well... it's not going to a very grounded setting. :)

It's absolutely true that Japan got off light from the war and that they benefited enormously from the way America chose to engage post-war. But there are still matters of pride, dignity, tradition, and self-interest. And I'm not saying these things like they are all necessarily good or noble things, but rather that they are things. Humans are not rational beings by nature, and we will cling to ideals which we feel are important even if in the larger scheme of things it might not make sense to cling to. Culture is very important to people, and foreign elements bleeding into your culture is always going to create resentment in some segments of society.

I haven't watched CR at all, but that sure sounds like what I'd expect from any other Sho Aikawa show.

You should watch it because this is the best Sho Aikawa show in like.... forever. Like it or hate it, it's something!

jonjonaug

You should watch it because this is the best Sho Aikawa show in like.... forever. Like it or hate it, it's something!

I have a hard time imagining anything can be more Sho Aikawa than Zeorymer or the end twists in the original FMA anime. I'll probably watch it before season 2 starts up...next season, is it?

Sterok

Koukaku no Pandora 1

There are robots who fight or something. Not sure I quite got it, but I'll check out the next episode or so.

Jarmel

Banned
Of course it's all exaggerated. There's nothing subtle in CR because it's a story told on a big operatic superhumans-in-the-world canvas. It is very much in the same spirit as Godzilla being a metaphor for the nuclear bomb. Everything is larger-than-life. When the main representation of America comes in the form of a half-human-half-alien superhero called Master Ultima who went into space to capture alien monsters to use as biological weapons.... well... it's not going to a very grounded setting. :)

Oh yea the whole thing is metaphors and symbolism. What I'm finding is that there feels to be clashes in the tone at times in that Aikawa is aiming for this fairly complex political system revolving around the use/protection of superheroes but then there'll be these simplistic scenarios that don't necessarily match up with that complex worldview. It feels like there is friction with the writing in that elements are clashing with each other.

The show at times can be its own worst enemy, and that's not limited to just the writing.
It's absolutely true that Japan got off light from the war and that they benefited enormously from the way America chose to engage post-war. But there are still matters of pride, dignity, tradition, and self-interest. And I'm not saying these things like they are all necessarily good or noble things, but rather that they are things. Humans are not rational beings by nature, and we will cling to ideals which we feel are important even if in the larger scheme of things it might not make sense to cling to. Culture is very important to people, and foreign elements bleeding into your culture is always going to create resentment in some segments of society.
I'm not disagreeing, I just find it peculiar that he's focusing on the post war era where as many of his contemporaries would highlight more recent times.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That was an awful show with awful leads and a nice supporting cast.

Russ T

Banned
Watched a few things...

GATE - 13

Uh, well, I'm not happy about that scene. It's possible it might be justified further down the line, but I really sincerely doubt it with every fiber of my being. I'm really annoyed that they took this otherwise light-hearted, silly show and threw that shit in there. It's unnecessary, and really just doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the show. Sure there's death and violence out the wazoo, but it's never the focus like that was. It's your typical treatment of mass-death in a non-serious show. But rape? Gross. Fuck you.

I finished the episode, anyway, and everything after that scene was what I wanted from more GATE. Ugh, I'm so disappointed. I might just drop it. I can get my stupid fun anime fix elsewhere, and I've got plenty of backlog stuff. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop it.

Tabi Machi Late Show - 01

Watched this on a whim. Nothing super strong, but it was pleasant to watch. I'll keep going with it, as it's short, and really is quite pleasant.

Sekko Boys - 01

Not as funny as I was hoping! The big build up with the manager's art school experience paid off pretty solidly, though. Hopefully next week is more funny, beat by beat. This show won't survive on the absurdity alone, for me.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 01

Holy fucking shit yes! This was wonderful in every way. It did take me a bit to let myself sink into the feeling of what rakugo is supposed to be, but once I did, I was in deep. The characters are super strong. It did a wonderful job of making me feel like I was in the moment, in that time. The music worked well.

I'm pretty interested in hearing more about the old man's motivations. Anticipating next week's episode with much vigor!

McNagah

Erased 1

I think we can call it early in saying that this is probably the best show of the season. I'm ususally not one for plots like these because I find the story and characters really boring. I find the first episode it to have a semi droll tone but in a good way that helped set up our main character. It really does feel like he's kind of bored with his life. It sucks that the mother died, she was a really interesting character. I'm kind of interested in seeing what happens after he turns into a kid again. (I assumed that's what happened.) Will he stay a kid permanently, or will he be able to solve the case in the second or third episode and go back to his life as an adult?

Shoujo-tachi: Yellow Subs edition
Horriblesubs I see you're trying to replicate the shows feeling in acting like it's the early 2000's again. I think I'll keep on watching only because of Kodura reminding me of best girl Yukino. Otherwise this show isn't worth watching.

Quasar

In that case, Kill la Kill is a slice of life. She goes to school, has dinner with friends, and argues with family. A SoL is about the details of life. It doesn't just have aspects of life within it, it is about life.

Its why I keep banging the drum about how SoL is a totally useless term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom