• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divine Gate 01

Jesus. I dunno why I watched this, but it is in fact as bad as Fuuun Ishin Dai Shogun. That is no small feat. Suddenly Phantom World and Haruchika seem way better.

Firemind

Galko-Chan #1

olae6Fz.jpg

TPfW0z2.jpg

kjoRb78.gif

Quasar

Ninja Scroll is the opposite of good

Its funny. I remember that and Overfiend being my gateway anime (well once I started thinking about anime as its own thing), and really remember (being a heavy tabletop gamer then and right into samurai and ninja 'history') how little I could find of anime that was basically full on middle ages ninja and samurai action and wondered why that was. Maybe that was because I grew up on shlocky 80s ninja live action movies.

Quasar

Man crunchy really needs a "short anime" category, I need some popcorn anime. What's on here? Already watched Can't Understand and Seki-kun, currently crunching my way through Tekyuu

I enjoyed Wakaba Girl last year. Its kind of a short version of Kiniro Mosaic.

But yeah. I wonder why they don't tag all the shorts.

John Blade

Welp....I am going to start watching Rahxephon The Movie. Better finish the franchise now and get it over with that I am done Ninja Scroll. Man...just finish few anime series this month. Talk about fast here...

Shouta

Its funny. I remember that and Overfiend being my gateway anime (well once I started thinking about anime as its own thing), and really remember (being a heavy tabletop gamer then and right into samurai and ninja 'history') how little I could find of anime that was basically full on middle ages ninja and samurai action and wondered why that was. Maybe that was because I grew up on shlocky 80s ninja live action movies.

Well, Ninja Scroll actually scratches that action itch that a lot of movies from the 80s did. It's not a great film but it's a great action film. I can't think of too many anime films in the last 20 years that try to do exactly what those shlocky films did.

Jintor

just watch the twenty bajillion sengoku basaras from here until the end of time

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
SME JAPAN blocks that for Americans.

Damn, that sucks

I can't even imagine how rape would be depicted in Gate. It almost expect something ludicrously over the top.

*Spanking

Well I wasn't. Its somewhat important to that whole arc. Though I wonder how they will fit it all into the anime alongside the existing dragon story.

Yes, i know it's important for later part. Probably going to use it as a cliffhanger and preparation for the next season (if there's another season)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Myriad Colors Phantom Whatever 1

It's such a beautiful show, not cheap at all like Amagi was, but I can't watch this filth, and yet I must?

Crocodile

#superlivesmatter

*gives sideways glances at*

Ninja Scroll is the opposite of good

Ninja Scroll seems to be put on a pedestal for reasons I cannot comprehend.

THANK YOU!

What gets me even more is when it comes up in recommendation topics. People will sometimes say "Yuck, anime is all moe nowadays and disrespects women. Remember when they had REAL anime like Ninja Scroll!" and all I can think of is "You mean that Ninja Scroll where women are being raped and murdered every five minutes?". People really show their colors when they say shit like that.

jbug617

Banned
Haikyuu S2 14

Love the moment where
Hinata runs into all the big guns in the tournament
. I hope the ED
is not foreshadowing where we are going to stop at in the show

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The worst part about Phantom World is someone uttering the line "It's common knowledge but I'll explain anyway" without a hint of sarcasm.

I think it's supposed to be double ironic.

Like the dating sim line.

Narag

What gets me even more is when it comes up in recommendation topics. People will sometimes say "Yuck, anime is all moe nowadays and disrespects women. Remember when they had REAL anime like Ninja Scroll!" and all I can think of is "You mean that Ninja Scroll where women are being raped and murdered every five minutes?". People really show their colors when they say shit like that.

I wouldn't say real colors so much as I doubt they remember the details of something they remembered years ago, just the impression of "hey, cartoon for adults therefore mature. how cool is that to watch as a kid?" I mean if they're watching it yearly and make the same recommendation, I wouldn't argue the point at all but so much of the "anime was better in the 80s/90" should be read as "anime was better when I was a kid."

Everything was better when one was a kid. Heck, look at the '85 Transformeres movie thread in the OT. I love the movie to death but BobbyRoberts was dead on about how the content affectingthe young viewer was far more influential than the content itself which is by and large forgettable.

Firemind

I wouldn't say real colors so much as I doubt they remember the details of something they remembered years ago, just the impression of "hey, cartoon for adults therefore mature. how cool is that to watch as a kid?" I mean if they're watching it yearly and make the same recommendation, I wouldn't argue the point at all but so much of the "anime was better in the 80s/90" should be read as "anime was better when I was a kid."

Everything was better when one was a kid. Heck, look at the '85 Transformeres movie thread in the OT. I love the movie to death but BobbyRoberts was dead on about how the content affectingthe young viewer was far more influential than the content itself which is by and large forgettable.
'86 bruv

KanameYuuki

Oh no, I seriously wanted to watch Dagashi Kashi but it is on Funimation T~T Why do we south American people always have to suffer regarding anime... I would not mind paying a sub, I hope they expand like crunchyroll. They got most of the animes this seson : (

Sore ga Seiyuu 13 END

I liked how this episode put a capstone on the series by summing up Futaba's struggles up to now (and touching on Rin and Ichigo's a bit as well) while solidifying her resolve for the future through her assessment. I also liked the reminder during her meal with her old training school classmates that, even though Futaba is struggling at the lowest ring of the seiyuu ladder, there are people below her who never got on the ladder, going on to a career in what was supposed to be a part-time job, going on to marriage, or trying out with another seiyuu agency after literally not getting any work for a year. It solidifies the balanced, realistic look at the profession that this whole series as taken, neither succumbing to whitewashed idealism nor to bitter cynicism. It shows that this comes from the perspective of an author who has been through the struggles of being a seiyuu and considers them worth going through for the benefits she has gotten out of it. Speaking of the original manga author, it was hilarious that she (Masumi Asano) showed up as herself in this final episode after numerous cameos throughout the series, and instead of giving the sage advice that all the other real-life seiyuu who have shown up have given, she just says "In the future, I want to be rich!" and runs out. Good show.

Overall, Sore ga Seiyuu was consistently well-made and enjoyable, with visual charisma in the character art and animation and a good balance of comedy and serious themes. As of now, it is my favorite non-Gankutsuou Gonzo anime - not that that's too hard, but there are a couple other Gonzo productions which have the potential to surpass it when I get around to them.

Puruzi

Banned
Oh no, I seriously wanted to watch Dagashi Kashi but it is on Funimation T~T Why do we south American people always have to suffer regarding anime... I would not mind paying a sub, I hope they expand like crunchyroll.
Think I saw a post earlier saying earlier that CR got it now as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom