• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of these days Cross Manage will get an anime and all the world will celebrate as one.

*stops doing heavy psychotropics*

There goes that dream.

I would want to see animated lacross. Especially Choran. And the anime would give my favorite male character way more lines than he had. Im so glad he was popular in the fandom.
tumblr_mlbgmlwHFU1qbxqfpo1_1280.png
tumblr_mm1sgoKUwy1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They look better than most otome game designs though, especially as adapted for anime. The only other otome games I've seen with designs I like are Sweet Fuse and Bad Apple Wars.
Really? The character design in Prince of Stride seems almost unidentifiable to me. It's like staring at a blank wall.

Keijo needs an anime adaptation before anything. D<

Back on the topic of Koyomimonogatari
I suppose the OP is being reused to signify the time when each short takes place. If each short ended up just being humor like todays, then I think... I'd actually be fine with that.

This episode alternated between acceptable looking, and really freaking ugly. Clearly saving the budget for the next episode.

It was alright. Weird filters were occasionally put up I'm guessing to spice up action that we've seen for too long now.

Just T

Assassination Classroom S2 EP 1

Finally an opening I like, didn’t like the other two at all, another nice ending too. As for the episode itself, I enjoyed it a lot. The antics in the cave and when they were trying to help out Bitch-Sensei, missed this cast a lot, glad it’s back. Looks like things will be getting even more serious soon but I wouldn’t mind another calm episode or two.

JulianImp

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - Episode 1

Every now and then there's a series that doesn't focus on genres and tropes and has its own refreshing and unique charm. This is one of those shows.

Even with the first episode being 48 minutes in length it never overstaid its welcome, and the characters and their circumstances captivated me right away. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Erased - Episode 1

Yet another new show that looks quite promising. The pacing has been nice so far, and the premise has caught my attention for now, so I'm pretty hopeful that it won't end up being disappointing like Sakurako was last sason.

Active Raid, Episode 1

These civil servants have to put on powered Willware suits to protect the populace. Since they are public employees that have to worry about property desctruction and get permission from higher-ups while they're fighting Willware powered criminals.

This was a very sentai feeling show, which I liked. Superheroes as civil servant is a concept that been done before - Dekaranger, Tomico Hero, Kamen Rider Agio, Kamen Rider Drive - and the idea here is solid. But the characters are all very broad and not interesting at all.

Also, there's an artistic choice to make most of the female characters seem like they're perennially blushing. Bugs the hell out of me for some reason.

Not bad, not great. Will give it a few more episodes.

Prince of Stride, Episode 1

For a second I thought this was a shonen sports anime, like Prince of Tennis, but it's actually closer to a more active Uta no Prince. Stride is a weird parkour relay sport where 5 runners are guided through an urban course by their "relationer". Analogous to a rally racing co-driver, the relationer keeps track of positioning, course layout, and relay handoff timing. Nana Sakurai loves the Stride team from the Honan Academy, but when she transfers in, the club is disbanded and they have to rebuild. Nana is the team's relationer.

So... I'm watching this mostly because I enjoy the concept of Stride and Madhouse is doing solid animation. Otherwise, you're looking at your basic otome game dude setup. You got an enthusiastic red oni, a stoic blue oni, the cute one, a older harder club leader, and a goofy Shogi nerd as the wild card. Despite that, this feels more like a bromance show, like Free. I assume they'll be interested in Nana eventually, but right now, it's all about connecting... with each other.

Enjoying the races though, like Air Gear, so I can glide through the rest of the standard setup.

Bromance!

BROMANCE!

Probably doing Sekko Boys or BBK/BRNK next.

This episode alternated between acceptable looking, and really freaking ugly. Clearly saving the budget for the next episode.

It was alright. Weird filters were occasionally put up I'm guessing to spice up action that we've seen for too long now.

They goddamn better be, but I still kind of expect them to fuck it up

Jarmel

Banned
Erased-1
Really liked this despite the heavy use of monologue. The episode does a great job of laying out the rules of the 'game' and the lead character. While there might be further restrictions or complications such as time skips between multiple eras, the show establishes the limitations of his ability and what triggers it. The show does a good job of setting up Satoru as an individual and I like the VA choice as it helps depict a bored and boring normal person. There are also a lot of visual cues in the 'Revivals' which I hope keeps up, so any sort of twist doesn't feel cheap. The direction feels surprisingly mature and somber and I know people were bagging on Kajiura but I like the OST so far as it reminds me more of that grandiose flair in Fate/Zero than her sub-par work in SAO (despite them being so similar).

In some ways, this feels like a more interesting take on the whole Detective Conan premise. Satoru has to solve a multiple homicide and make people listen to him while in the body of a child. Him being a normal person and the 'Revival' aspect have the potential for a lot of fun with possible Dead Ends.
That said, the framing aspect is really weak and totally unnecessary.
Any basic detective is going to realize Satoru was at work and that due to the timeframe of his mother's death, he couldn't possibly have been involved. Not to mention other rudimentary elements such as motive. I understand it gives him more of an incentive to solve the case but his mother's death should have been enough of an impetus and so this feels like overkill.
Changing the aspect ratio with the jump back felt more deserved than in other shows as it visually represents Satoru's limited viewpoint and perspective compared to when he was 29. It feels claustrophobic which is how I imagine any adult would feel when being shoved back into their 9 or 10 year old form. There was also some fun with the editing in the first half with the use of quick cuts to joke about Satoru being a dour person.
Things like having the Revival being initially done with the film effect on the trim make it easier for the audience to understand exactly what is happening in that it's like a film being rewound and works as a visual training wheel if you will. It's also kinda humorous that the thing that symbolizes the Revival is a butterfly with the whole Butterfly effect, which I'm sure was intentional. I liked how they used sports to refer to the timeframe such as the 06' World Cup and the '88 Ice Hockey team.
M0GDd3C.jpg

Liked this shot as there are multiple things restraining Satoru visually such as the walls, his bed, the junk around him, and the light. I guess it could represent how his regret is holding him back.
Wish more anime was like this.

I would want to see animated lacross. Especially Choran. And the anime would give my favorite male character way more lines than he had. Im so glad he was popular in the fandom.

As usual, I agree with you about everything except for the male character stuff.

Edit: Wait what? That blonde ponytail character in Stride is a dude?! Fucking dropped.

Wait, Pandora is by Shirow and Rikudo? Shouldn't someone make a thread then? That's some pedigree right there that would totally drive Ghost in the Shell fans to it.

Erased-1
That said, the framing aspect is really weak and totally unnecessary.
Any basic detective is going to realize Satoru was at work and that due to the timeframe of his mother's death, he couldn't possibly have been involved. Not to mention other rudimentary elements such as motive. I understand it gives him more of an incentive to solve the case but his mother's death should have been enough of an impetus and so this feels like overkill.

I agree that it was unnecessary but to be COMPLETELY fair it never got the chance to reach that point. It just happens in the moment and he wasn't thinking straight so he
decided to run away which makes him look guiltier but he probably also wanted to run away from the reality that his mom just died

Dagashi Candy 01

Eh. Like the manga, I enjoy the character designs but I don't really care about anything else in this and don't find it particularly funny. I might give it a couple more episodes to see if the jokes translate better from the manga but if not this is pretty much only good for lingering shots on Hotaru's rack.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi 01

Oh wow. I had my hesitance about this one due to stuff I've mentioned before, but the direction and voice acting turned a lot of stuff I felt was good in the manga into some great stuff on screen. Really really engrossing first episode.

This is the one to watch. If the quality of adaptation remains consistent I'll be very pleased to see how this pans out.

Jintor

wakakozake is really relaxing. only problem is i finished 5 episodes over a meal. (funnily enough it was pan fried salted salmon like she ate in the first ep which I didn't realise until i started the ep)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That Lacrosse manga is based on Women's Lacrosse? Ugh

I don't have anything against women's circuits of sport's in general, a lot of them can be exciting, but Women's Lacrosse doesn't allow the players to body hit each other like in Men's Lacrosse. In Women's Lacrosse you can Stick Check someone, and you are going to be a lot of times invariably hit with your own stick in the head without a helmet on. There's a reason men have to wear body armor and helmet's. Imagine watching Hockey without any contact allowed?

Does that manga follow the traditional international rules of Lacrosse for women or does it go balls to the wall like trying to compare Eyeshield to American Football?

Does she ever play against men?

Another serious answer I guess is Knight in the Area and that Yuu Kobayashi soccer show... Ginga e Kickoff.

From what I remember of the manga the romantic interest plays a match against the lead maybe once near the beginning/middle but usually no it has women's tennis and men's tennis separated.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass: Akito the Exiled 1 and 2

While waiting for more Gundam Thunderbolt, I decided to watch the Code Geass spin off movies for more robot action. I've seen 1 and 2 and they're amusing to say the least. I like the designs of the new robots, Wyverns, way better than the old Knightmares. They also have a nice crawling animation. The only nitpicks I have is: 1) "Why do we see Lelouch for one scene and never again" and 2) "A lot of the Code Geass' plots sure revolve around awful family ties".

Quasar

So...is there any way to watch Koyomimonogatari? Really don't like this bitter pill of more *monogatari existing and I'm barred from it.

Is the app available in the US?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stride: Is okay, may keep watching if the parkour is good
Myriad Colors: Guiltwatch
Erased: Probably the most interesting thing
Haruchika: Dropped

Annoyed that I cannot watch.

Why not? Busy? Or can't find subs? Someone on reddit said that the /a/ thread had a fansub up already. I think Commie is working on one too. If you understand Japanese, you can just google to get the .apk for the app.

Nurse Witch KOMUGI R is actually just the best show of the season, in case anyone was wondering. I'm being more serious than I would like. At one point they shoot a laser that turns things into more embarrassing things - it misses the target, hits a poster, and transforms it into a Yatterman Night poster. Fantastic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kashi is next, no plans for the others but will give them a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom