• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

They should be an animated show of this from my childhood. Would be cool to watch and get more people into it.

fdA.jpg

Shorts Review!

Gecko Boys 1

This is stupid. She looked better with the colored hair. Meh.

Galko-chan 01

Oh, there are two other characters. Show's pretty amusing for it's frank depiction of stupid stuff teens talk about which is nice that they don't pretend all Japan's youth are non-ironic Shimoneta good kids. Gyaru style the best style.

Oji-san and Marshmallow 01

Fluffy. Cute show and short enough that I won't care about normal shit like progression and whatever. Wins just for having older characters in fluffy interactions.

Time to watch the actual shows.

Quasar

What gets me even more is when it comes up in recommendation topics. People will sometimes say "Yuck, anime is all moe nowadays and disrespects women. Remember when they had REAL anime like Ninja Scroll!" and all I can think of is "You mean that Ninja Scroll where women are being raped and murdered every five minutes?". People really show their colors when they say shit like that.

See I haven't seen it for a long time, but most of my memories are are bloody fighting between ninja clans and one pretty awful demon rape scene. But mostly my memories are of ninjas. Then again I did see it when I was like 12.

Crocodile

I wouldn't say real colors so much as I doubt they remember the details of something they remembered years ago, just the impression of "hey, cartoon for adults therefore mature. how cool is that to watch as a kid?" I mean if they're watching it yearly and make the same recommendation, I wouldn't argue the point at all but so much of the "anime was better in the 80s/90" should be read as "anime was better when I was a kid."

Everything was better when one was a kid. Heck, look at the '85 Transformeres movie thread in the OT. I love the movie to death but BobbyRoberts was dead on about how the content affectingthe young viewer was far more influential than the content itself which is by and large forgettable.

The problem is that people have no sense of self-awareness. They will say that sort of stuff to your face unironically and pretend they've never heard on the concept of nostalgia or are unaware of their own memory failures. It's why those sorts of threads often go to shit.

Quasar

just watch the twenty bajillion sengoku basaras from here until the end of time

I never could get into those. And really my desire for more ninja scroll like ninja fighting anime kind of died with me then. With the lack of more back then I gave up on anime and went back to western media.

It wasn't till recent years that I even gave anime another chance and I never was interested in fighting shows (my gateway this time was Oh My Goddess). But that's because it was a reaction to total superhero burnout. That's probably why One Punch Man totally failed on me.

John Blade

I never could get into those. And really my desire for more ninja scroll like ninja fighting anime kind of died with me then. With the lack of more back then I gave up on anime and went back to western media.

It wasn't till recent years that I even gave anime another chance and I never was interested in fighting shows (my gateway this time was Oh My Goddess). But that's because it was a reaction to total superhero burnout. That's probably why One Punch Man totally failed on me.

Ah....Oh My Goddess. Well, I do hope you watch the anime and then go to the Manga. It's a decent franchise but you might tired of it if you go to the manga side a bit. I would recommend you to look into You're Under Arrest franchise. I would say stick with the OVA and the Season 1 of the TV Series.

Quasar

Ah....Oh My Goddess. Well, I do hope you watch the anime and then go to the Manga. It's a decent franchise but you might tired of it if you go to the manga side a bit. I would recommend you to look into You're Under Arrest franchise. I would say stick with the OVA and the Season 1 of the TV Series.

I read the manga sporadically and did read the last 50 chapters or so. But its something that's way too long to just read right through.

You're Under Arrest is still on my backlog now three years into my anime watching. Not sure why exactly.

BBK/BRNK Episode 1
download.png

I'm not sure if the main character was playing dumb here, or actually couldn't hear Agent Smith's question across this comically huge table.

But yeah, that was actually a pretty decent opening episode. Didn't flood the audience with information so I actually want to come back and find out more about this world.
The CG is decent, but the characters do sometimes look like they're made of plastic.
The main character is clearly withdrawn, both as a child and teenager, and needs saving, but he also doesn't seem cowardly. He's alright in my book so far.

John Blade

I read the manga sporadically and did read the last 50 chapters or so. But its something that's way too long to just read right through.

You're Under Arrest is still on my backlog now three years into my anime watching. Not sure why exactly.

For the Ah My Goddess, if you want to keep it simple, stick with the OVA or the TV series and maybe the Movie. The manga is good but with so many chapter, you need to committed to read all of it which isn't for everyone. I am slowly reading it but I know I am not going to finish it.

For the You're Under Arrest, it's a fun show and I would recommend to stick to the OVA and TV Season 1 only. Maybe the movie if you still like it. I did a big impression of the entire franchise which took me few months to get though all. This doesn't count of how long it took me to manage to get the entire franchise on DVD and buy them all. Still, a fun show but don't try to watch the other two season unless you spread them later on as they're the same in truth.

Narag

The problem is that people have no sense of self-awareness. They will say that sort of stuff to your face unironically and pretend they've never heard on the concept of nostalgia or are unaware of their own memory failures. It's why those sorts of threads often go to shit.

Oh I agree entirely. Couple that with the prevailing sense of equating not liking a media product to not liking the person that likes that and it becomes a mess. I don't want to pretend we're all that much more enlightened in here despite the perception of the thread around the forum otherwise but at least here you can find people willing to throw in the necessary caveats regarding anime, both old and new.

We get too few questions of that nature in here which is sad but I suppose just as well. There's so many specific threads people can ask a question in to get advice from those intimately familiar with the subject matter yet it often defaults into a catchall OT thread that rarely ends well. Figure it's probably a combination of not wanting too detailed of an answer, feeling intimidated by a community, or amusingly enough, being unaware the community even exists.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Prince of Stride 1

I want one sports anime where the girl is also playing sports and beating the shit out of other teams.

Afternoon classes were created for the sole sake of forcing me to be in a classroom environment with the very worst people at my entire university.

Has anyone seen the Witchcraft Works anime? I never realized one existed until one of my friends saw my manga set and mentioned it. It's not complete ass, is it? :c

Gvitor

Luck & Logic 01

Ehh... did a quick google search and I'm surprised this isn't based of a light novel. Missed the boob grab (it almost happened though), but it's essentially the 1:10 male-female ratio shit with the overpowered male lead we've been seeing on stuff like Cavalry or Asterisk last season. It even has Kirito's VA on it too.

Will check the next episode to see if they can build up this world better (I didn't understand good chunks of it), but I don't think I'll be following this one to the end.

Russ T

Banned
Prince of Stride 1

I want one sports anime where the girl is also playing sports and beating the shit out of other teams.

Chihayafuru.

Princess Nine.

...That's all I've seen so far. I've been looking, too.

(Well, "beating the shit out of the other team" might not be happening, but at the very least, they're good at what they're doing.)

e_i

Uhh.. this show progressed way quicker than the manga,

Yes, the 1st episode of Dagashi Kashi goes through eight chapters, whereas Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn goes through two chapters (although the chapters n Pandora are longer than Dagashi's).

Quasar

For the Ah My Goddess, if you want to keep it simple, stick with the OVA or the TV series and maybe the Movie. The manga is good but with so many chapter, you need to committed to read all of it which isn't for everyone. I am slowly reading it but I know I am not going to finish it.

Right. I watched the series and then later the followup OVAs. I tried the movie later but really didn't like it.

And yeah, the manga length put me off reading it all (that and its apparent glacial progress). Just like all the really long anime. Beyond a certain length and I'm no longer interested.

Quasar

Prince of Stride 1

You know I kind of wonder why there's so little girls sports anime, especially team ones. Hell a girls team sport with a guy coach is perfectly made for the harem crowd too as well as the sports people.

Whats the big girls team sports in Japan?

You know I kind of wonder why there's little girls sports anime, especially team ones. Hell a girls team sport with a guy coach is perfectly made for the harem crowd too as well as the sports people.

Whats the big girls team sports in Japan?

Because you could make an idol anime instead.

Well for shoujo Snow White is continuing. I guess some people might count Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu as SOL as well as josei.

Ah ok. I wasnt a big fan of Snow White. Shouwa Genroku looks interesting, but it looks pretty slow paced based on some impressions I'm reading. I'll check it out sometime.

Ah ok. I wasnt a big fan of Snow White. Shouwa Genroku looks interesting, but it looks pretty slow paced based on some impressions I'm reading. I'll check it out sometime.

Try the Erased anime, which has had good impressions.

There's also Dimension W airing tomorrow which is a action show.

One of these days Cross Manage will get an anime and all the world will celebrate as one.

*stops doing heavy psychotropics*

There goes that dream.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Rakudai Kishi no Calvary 1-12

Like Ikki, this show was much better than it had any right to be.

Episode 12 Spoilers*

WTF at Touka deciding to
face him anyways.
. She pretty much knew what was going on
but decided to go through with it anyways
. She acted like there wasn't even an option
to withdraw in protest
. Why would you want to support an organization like that? It's not like they can take away her powers anyways, so what's the problem with
protesting this bullshit
?

It's like someone telling you that you need to fight someone generally considered in every way your inferior, but they are also going to go ahead and cripple the person before the fight.

The fuck Touka.

Rainy

Banned
Shirobako 9

We finally get to see more of Misa, I'm guessing she'll leave the company in the next episode.

Also those 100 horses towards the end of the episode, amazing.

Prince of Stride 1

This is based on an otome game. But technically the main girl here is directly on the team as the "Relationer" (recall her surprised question if girls can be Relationers), even if she's not running herself.

Cornbread78

Utawarerumono ep.14
Excellent episode for the Yamato crew. That chick was ripping shit up and even spared the lives of their own citizens. Haku was lazy like usual, but went to work to
save the woman and the child.
of the village. Good stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is based on an otome game. But technically the main girl here is directly on the team as the "Relationer" (recall her surprised question if girls can be Relationers), even if she's not running herself.

I facepalmed a bit at that "Can girls be Relationers" line but if it's an otome game that makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on it, these are standard otome designs.

I facepalmed a bit at that "Can girls be Relationers" line but if it's an otome game that makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure why I didn't pick up on it, these are standard otome designs.

They look better than most otome game designs though, especially as adapted for anime. The only other otome games I've seen with designs I like are Sweet Fuse and Bad Apple Wars.

Sterok

Aikatsu 166

All the other idols must feel bad that there are only 4 legitimate candidates for the crown this year. Even Rin and Madoka don't have a chance yet. Though I guess it's better than last year when Sakura basically won by default. And putting Hinaki up there is pushing it. Juri doesn't seem like she'll be having a serious chance. So it's Akari vs Sumire. Sumire better win. She always was the better idol, and she still has the best songs.

Koyomimonogatari Episode 1

The reused OP and scenes from Baka made me a little sad, but the story is shaping up really nicely. I've never been as interested in a stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom