• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

is there more food anime that isn't about iron chef competitions out there? more relaxing wakokozake style stuff? or just like... information about food anime?

It's not about food, but Bartender has great episodic stories with lots of information about different kinds of drinks. It's not as laid back as Wakako Zake since there's a new bit of drama in each episode, but it's still very engaging to watch. Just like a good food anime will make you want to try the food, Bartender makes you want to try the drinks. In a good way!

Dimension W 1

This show might have what is single handedly the most hilariously rushed exposition I have ever seen. Like I'm not exaggerating when I say that the exposition was "In 2036 or something it was discovered that not only do we have dimensions X, Y and Z, but there's also a dimension W that is like full of energy and now powers the whole world and also there's Tesla energies and tesla coils ok done"

Then we the protagonist. Also known as
EHmOUQy.jpg
+
WFUtsL4.jpg

Comes out looking like a bum who drives a real nice car, and his gimmick is he's your grandpa and sticks to the old ways. We also have a female robot cat-like looking girl who the show needs to remind you that she's a girl by having the camera focus on her ass every time she jumps or is in a position that showcases her bum. Male gaze never changes.

The OP was funny because it basically consists of action scenes that you could see in the show, but it also has the male lead in the beginning break dancing which made me lol because it looked even more Madao than it needed to. The action scenes were decent and hey the premise while very VERY anime has me interested enough to keep watching but I'm fully expecting the show to shit the bed later. Will keep watching.

Dimension W Ep 1

I was going into this with no expectations, but I left pleasantly surprised. An interesting premise - the world runs off of coils that pull energy from an alternate dimension - that allows for all kinds of cool technology, but put into a retro shell - the weapons look like Water Guns so far, the MC drives a Stingray, and the city blends past and future seamlessly. The characters don't seem overly trope-y (or maybe just using older tropes) and the whole thing is reminiscent of Bebop in a few ways. One notable exception to the overall quality, the "fight scene" was just a bunch of stills with some effects put on it. More effort was put into the unnecessary mech fight earlier on. For an anime that seems like it'll involve numerous fights this a pretty poor start, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure how I feel about the OP. I guess it was okay.
Also, cyborg girls are the best.

Russ T

Banned
Lol. That was actually just a throwaway dig at the fact that a 10 minute uncut rakugo sequence would basically be an unanimated still. But hey, what a coincidence! :p

It's actually really wonderfully animated, in my opinion. There's a lot of cuts back and forth between the performer and the audience, and the performer isn't just sitting still. He's actually moving around dynamically, as, presumably, one normally would during a rakugo performance. Since he's playing multiple different roles, they use camera cuts to accentuate when he shifts roles, as well as some cuts to show how into the performance he is, sweating and working hard the whole time.

I fell in love with that sequence pretty quickly. It's so good.

Also on an unrelated note, I love the character design in Rakugo. That little swirl on his nose, the curves of his mouth and ears, etc.

Man I can't wait for more Rakugo.

Maybe I should watch the previously available content...

Narag

Damekko Doubutsu 9
Does this show count as slice of life seeing as the Cambridge dictionary defines slice of life as

A ​film, ​piece of ​literature, or a ​play might be ​described as a slice of ​life if it ​describes or ​shows the ​ordinary ​details of ​real ​life.

yet talking animals driving around and shit aren't found in real life.

Muv-Luv x Deutschland 83

Sadly, that's the closest thing we will ever get to a silly Starship Trooper anime.

I know that there is a real Starship Trooper anime based on the novel

duckroll

Actually what most fans are probably hoping for is that the Show by Rock leak was inaccurate and that it's not actually Spring. Lol.

I wonder which one of these is going to get hit by the budget...

If it gets a second season like Chaika, sure. But the first season will probably be pretty solid because they've been working on that since last year.

Russ T

Banned
Mob Psycho is not happening in the spring. (Or at least, it's not announced yet!) The spring Bones shows we know of are Concrete Revolutio S2, Show by Rock S2, My Hero Academia, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

Oh yeah I keep forgetting this. It's just 2016 so far, that's all we know.

Well, my answer doesn't change either way. Down with Show By Rock, whatever that is!

Qurupeke

Mob Psycho is not happening in the spring. (Or at least, it's not announced yet!) The spring Bones shows we know of are Concrete Revolutio S2, Show by Rock S2, My Hero Academia, and Bungo Stray Dogs.

Oh, that's good then. Considering all the stuff that comes in Spring, I'm surprised this won't probably be out then. lol I guess 5 shows may be overkill even for BONES.

Also, MHA is the only certainly safe one.

Russ T

Banned
Oh, Show By Rock is based off a rhythm video game.

Yeah okay I definitely don't care about it, then. BURN IT TO THE GROUND! (Or not. It's not a big deal either way!)

My Hero Academia is one of the most anticipated anime releases since.. well, One Punch Man, I guess. Kind of lessens the importance...

Concrete Revolutio pulled a bunch of new talent for this cour, so it seems like they are willing to put more into it.

So it ends up having to be Bungo or Show by Rock. Show by Rock sold well in both BluRays and the actual CD for the show, so it seems fairly likely that either Bungo is the fall guy or all of them end up working out. From my perspective. :p

I wouldn't be suprised if My Hero Academia takes a hit even its highly anticipated.

I mean most Shonen Jump adaptions are primarily for advertisement.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - 01

Liked it. Didn't know about Rakugo before this. Certainly makes for a unique setting.

Also, I thought I recognized the voice of Konatsu. Quickly realized it sounds very similar to Lala from School Rumble, who has been one of the worst characters until recently when I started to find her constant 'scream-talking' to be actually quite humorous. And, in fact, both are voiced Yuu Kobayashi. For someone that can't even really remember more than a couple voice actors' names, it's nice actually recognizing them here and there after all.

Jarmel

Banned
I wouldn't be suprised if My Hero Academia takes a hit even its highly anticipated.

It's going to be Show by Rock if any of the shows have to be sacrificed. It's a no brainer.

HeroAca is on a 5pm timeslot, BONES is going to be supporting it with everything they have. Stray Dogs seemingly should have aired in Winter so I presume that's mostly done. Concrete Revolutio is an original so it'll get a big push too.

Show by Rock is an original too which normally would mean a big effort on the part of the studio but considering of all the shows, it has the least material shown for April and is a D studio work, it'll get thrown on the fire first.

pbayne

I don't think it'll get the Soul Eater Not treatment so itll probably be pretty good.

Seriously was that the height of Bones just not giving a fuck about something?

I hope their schedule dosen't effect Show by Rock's sequel. That was a fun show that really deserves its sequel. Great CG too.

I honestly would be laughing my ass off if My Hero Academia got a anime original ending as terrible as Soul Eater.

Although that's highly unlikely to happen. However, the delicious tears would be worth seeing.

e_i

Dimension W episode 1

That was pretty cool. Will give it a watch. I wonder when they'll explain why cyborg girl
is collecting the illegal coils.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1
Strong first episode.
Released prisoner (Yotarou) decided to become a rakugo storyteller after witnessing a rakugo during his time in prison. With no money, no home, no friend, he beg Yakumo, the rakugo storyteller said to be one of the best rakugo storyteller to take him as his discipline.

There's many daring direction on this one. Telling a 10 minutes rakugo without making the audience bored is one hell of a feat (at least for me). One of the most impressive scene is when Yakumo, supposedly master of rakugo tell a story. There will be brief scene based on the story he told to the audience.

The use of jazz as a soundtrack really complement the show despite the show is about Japanese art. The framing and pacing is great too.

Despite using rakugo as a theme, the story is about someone pursuing a craft, doing something he enjoy as a work is a theme everyone can relate to. So yeah, i think i'm going to enjoy this show very much.

Russ T

Banned
Mobile games can inspire surprisingly good anime. More people need to watch Sengoku Collection.

Oh, yeah, I'm not really knocking it based on that. That was mostly a joke. I like Rage of Bahamut: Genesis quite a bit. I just am not immediately enthused by the theme of this one. Not typically my kind of thing. Seeing that people actually like it does make me more interested, though.

Do you like advertising your bad taste personally or do you hire a pr firm to do it for you?

I'm an independently owned and run bad-taster. I don't need help for this venture! It's all me!

It's going to be Show by Rock if any of the shows have to be sacrificed. It's a no brainer.

HeroAca is on a 5pm timeslot, BONES is going to be supporting it with everything they have. Stray Dogs seemingly should have aired in Winter so I presume that's mostly done. Concrete Revolutio is an original so it'll get a big push too.

Show by Rock is an original too which normally would mean a big effort on the part of the studio but considering of all the shows, it has the least material shown for April and is a D studio work, it'll get thrown on the fire first.

Show by Rock is Sanrio's brand, doubt they will allow BONES sacrifice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom