• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
So what we've concluded is that none of the BONES shows will be thrown to the wayside and they'll all be incredible.

Awesome!

Anime is so great!

Nothing can go wrong!

So what we've concluded is that none of the BONES shows will be thrown to the wayside and they'll all be incredible.

Awesome!

Anime is so great!

Nothing can go wrong!

One will be sacrificed and you know it.

It sucks but you must except it. We can't always have everything.

Jarmel

Banned
I honestly would be laughing my ass off if My Hero Academia got a anime original ending as terrible as Soul Eater.

Although that's highly unlikely to happen. However, the delicious tears would be worth seeing.

That's why you deserve those Tokyo Ghoul adaptations.

Show by Rock is Sanrio's brand, doubt they will allow BONES sacrifice it.

Well it's not like it would be intentional but if something has to give, it would be on the Show by Rock front. SE Not had Kadokawa and Square Enix behind it and look how that turned out.

Qurupeke

Dimension W 1

This was pretty good. Nothing especially bad I'd say and I liked the main guy and the robot girl. I don't get why the guy hates this unlimited energy, it seems so dumb, but I guess we'll see more of this later.

That's why you deserve those Tokyo Ghoul adaptations.

Well I've gotten over it and I found some of the shit in it funny.

Thinking back now I find it funny how the anime had one of the worst QUALITY I've ever seen. Second season had PowerPoint worthy animation lol.

Dimension W 1

This was pretty good. Nothing especially bad I'd say and I liked the main guy and the robot girl. I don't get why the guy hates this unlimited energy, it seems so dumb, but I guess we'll see more of this later.

Something something show has to have a plot.

Kansoku

I finished Joushiraku early this morning and damn. Went into it without any expectations and got a really, really funny anime. Also, informative, didn't know Mongolian spots were a thing.

Jaxec

Grimgar 1

This looked really beautiful and the episode was really enjoyable. It'll be interesting to follow a team of weaklings that can't even beat two goblins.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - 01

Didn't find this particularly interesting. If the economy troubles plays a part to the point of desperation I could see it getting intruiging. Not really a fan of the whole modern kids 'trapped in fantasy world', where I rather have the 'real deal' so to say.
When they started talking about boobs and being fat I wanted to strangle myself. I did like the class vocations within the party, such as healer, thief etc.

Backgrounds looks gorgeous

lqB0kkj.jpg
Me1OHhf.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Dimension W 01

Okay so the first thing I noticed was how in love with the character design I am. Everything else was secondary. I feel like I'm gonna enjoy this show a lot.
I read your post bottom to top

"Hey this looks like something Sabre would like"

duckroll

Don't studios have different teams work on multiple shows in a season?

Yes. BONES has four internal studios, usually on a tight rotation. They have six shows announced this year so far, and there might be more unannounced. The last time they had more shows in production than studios, we got Soul Eater Not. So yeah.

Nichigo has seen productions such as Magi and Arslan. It's not as if airing in a high-profile timeslot means you're going to have consistent top-tier production values. Another slot to look at in this regard would be the one before Detective Conan on Saturday afternoons, which has aired shows such as Denpa Kyoushi.

Dimension W Episode 1

Rather dull in motion.

Stereo Dive Foundation had a great song though again not their BEST song.

Nijiiro Days Episode 1
tumblr_o0qz1kH5kC1s9aisro2_250.gif

Kirito's va (though I guess he sounds more like Bell here) is perfect for his character, meanwhile Tsukishima Kei va is using his Tsukishima voice which makes his character great too. Good comedy. Glad we get an excellent school life anime this season.

Jarmel

Banned

Was it? lol

Damn that production really seems like it was a disaster on all fronts.

Nichigo has seen productions such as Magi and Arslan. It's not as if airing in a high-profile timeslot means you're going to have consistent top-tier production values. Another slot to look at in this regard would be the one before Detective Conan on Saturday afternoons, which has aired shows such as Denpa Kyoushi.

I think it's long been established that the only guarantee of high level production values is a long and healthy production time. Nonetheless HeroAca is probably going to either studio A or B , has a fairly established director, and has that time slot. By all measures, everybody is throwing everything they have at it.

Phatmac

Glad that Fumitan being a
traitor
was finally revealed as it was easy to guess. Hoping that Kudelia and the romance subplot can end quickly as her character could use some drastic development. You could use her in better scenes than just shopping for smelly kids can't you? Cookie has a giant family with this new brother being shown. Things will get crazier next week so I'm pumped. They fucked up with the new OP and ED. They were both perfect and the new ones aren't good. At least Kudelia is still acting cute.

So I'm guessing it won't have a Gary Stu OP MC.

I heard about a LN months ago, in the times of Overlord, where it was basically the opposite, the gimmick was how weak were the protagonists so normal enemies you wouldn't think twice of them in in other series could kill someone (Like Gantz which had a feeling every enemy was lethal and everyone could die). I *think* this is that series.

Russ T

Banned
so is Grimgar as generic as it looks?

"Generic" is such a loaded-ass term, but...

I've only seen half the episode so far (had to stop in the middle for pressing matters), and so far I'd say yyyyyyes? It is "modern people thrown into fantasy world" out the wazoo.

It's at least interesting in that 1) they don't necessarily realize where they're from, although they sometimes say words without knowing what they mean, like "game" or "cell phone" and 2) they're all really bad at what they're trying to do (at least, insofar as "really bad" means "unsuccessful" - nobody's died (yet?)).

But visually it is pretty typical (although beautiful, in my opinion), and in terms of team dynamic it is pretty typical.

It's also got excessive boob jiggle which is really unnecessary and off-putting. I was worried about this from the male gaze ass-cam from the PV I watched, and it turns out my worries were not undeserved. \:

Club Rainbow Episode 1
CYYHXLBWMAA-1ta.png

Getting to see Tsukishima va voice lines was awesome [Uchiyama, Kouki] and then all the Matsuoka-kun love the whole episode. I love how he sounds in the IRL mission segments too. Then watching him enjoy the spicy curry, gave me Food War's nostalgia.
CYYHzKMWwAAdPUN.png
CYYHy7nWcAAvVwQ.png

Cornbread78

Grimgar ep.1
Not sure what to think of this one after one episodes. It looks like a moving water color painting at times, but the visuals were nice. I like the way the party is set up with each having a true "class." The personalities are all different with a strong (mentally) leader. Now, if they could only get a kill for food and money.

Ascheroth

Dimension W - 01

Yeah he's definitely related to Madao. That awkward out of place break dance in the opening.
That said, the setting is really interesting what with this new found energy source and blend of sci-fi and retro. Didn't really blow me away, but it was pretty cool overall.

Grimgar - 01

The visuals are beautiful. That's probably the best I say, because otherwise I found it pretty boring. The idea of them being really weak and having to struggle through everything as opposed to your usual Onii-sama MC is interesting, but I dunno, the show itself did nothing for me. The super cringy LN dialogue in the middle certainly didn't help. Might give it another episode, but as for now I'm thoroughly uninterested in this.

duckroll

I think it's long been established that the only guarantee of high level production values is a long and healthy production time. Nonetheless HeroAca is probably going to either A or B , has a fairly established director, and has that time slot. By all measures, everybody is throwing everything they have at it.

Hero Academia is A Studio. Considering how Noragami Aragoto turned out, I can only hope resources were tight because they were doing pre-production and then production for this instead. :p

Stray Dogs is D Studio, and is Show by Rock, but Show by Rock has a lot of CG, so the digital team could be doing the heavy lifting for that instead.

IIRC, Snow White is B Studio, under a new producer.

C Studio is full steam ahead on Concrete Revolutio. I doubt the animators attached on that are moving off it anytime soon, so that's more likely going to be where the BONES-BONES animators are all on, not Hero Academia.

Nothing is known about Mob Psycho 100 at this point.

The best thing going for My Hero Academia is that it's got Umakoshi on it, and he has connections with lots of top animators. Hopefully Bones treats him better than Toei did.

xBt7Liz.jpg
nCYu1aQ.jpg

This background art so gud. I love it to pieces.

So this is a new trapped in a video game story. However unlike others that have come out there seem to be some important differences. They don't actually know they're in a video game. This is actually huge cause in every other one I've seen they are aware of it and the story plays out generally how you would expect. In fact they've forgotten about their outside lives too apparently.

The other interesting bit is unlike other stories we're following a bunch of basically level 5 newbies who just selected their jobs. I like this premise because we'll get to see their growth as player rather than seeing them already at max stats like most other shows of this genre. I mean these fucks can't even beat one fucking goblin! lol lrn 2 mmo noobs!!111

I'm gonna enjoy this one as well.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea I was confused as Show by Rock was a D studio show and Stray Dogs was looking to be D studio too. So it's like "huh?". I have to imagine that the scheduling is gonna have to be on point even if SbR2 leans heavily on CGI (well unless it's all CGI dohoho).

I imagine Nagasaki has his own contacts by now so while people like Nakamura are going to be focusing on Concrete, he'll probably pull from his own pool.

TUSR

Banned

So this is a new trapped in a video game story. However unlike others that have come out there seem to be some important differences. They don't actually know they're in a video game. This is actually huge cause in every other one I've seen they are aware of it and the story plays out generally how you would expect. In fact they've forgotten about their outside lives too apparently.

The other interesting bit is unlike other stories we're following a bunch of basically level 5 newbies who just selected their jobs. I like this premise because we'll get to see their growth as player rather than seeing them already at max stats like most other shows of this genre. I mean these fucks can't even beat one fucking goblin! lol lrn 2 mmo noobs!!111

I'm gonna enjoy this one as well.

They probably have shit rotations.

Defuser

Dimension W ep 1
This is.....good.

Stylish OP and ED with fluid fights and dancing lol
Good animation production.
Alot of shit went down already.
Easy to understand so far....Coils is use to harness infinite energy from Dimension W is which founded beyond the XYZ space therefore the world uses it,trying to phase out fossil fuels with exorbitant taxs and prices.There are illegal coils which provides too much power which people will take advantage which is the MC's job to stop it.
I don't like gratuitous fanservice shots on robot girl.

This might be the underdog of the season.

Dimension W 01

Okay so the first thing I noticed was how in love with the character design I am. Everything else was secondary. I feel like I'm gonna enjoy this show a lot.
The designs is by the guy to who did the character art for Darker than Black.
Consider the MC also uses Knives skewers with wires attached to it. This guy is Hei 2.0.

duckroll

I imagine Nagasaki has his own contacts by now so while people like Nakamura are going to be focusing on Concrete, he'll probably pull from his own pool.

Nagasaki's contacts? You mean the animators who are all either working on IBO at Sunrise or working on Concrete Revolutio at BONES, or both? Lol. Umakoshi's Mushishi contacts are going to have to pick up the slack here. :p

Jarmel

Banned
SbR S2 being in Spring is kinda weird even besides the production standpoint. Feels like someone is going to end up eating into their own sales on a couple of the production committees.

Nagasaki's contacts? You mean the animators who are all either working on IBO at Sunrise or working on Concrete Revolutio at BONES, or both? Lol. Umakoshi's Mushishi contacts are going to have to pick up the slack here. :p

IBO is probably going to have a yearlong break after IBO ends similar to 00. That should free up some of the Sunrise people for a bit. Also Tomioka worked on Classroom Crisis so he might pop up too.

Phatmac

It finally happened! Can't believe our favorite MADAO finally got a job and got badass ninja skills too. I wonder where the Yorozuya are in this new universe where the Amanto discovered unlimited energy. Good episode overall plus a cute robo girl will keep me watching. I wonder if he'll finally get back with his wife too. Goddamn does this robot do things to my heart.

I wish Japan would just remove women from anime altogether. It leaves too many opportunities for fan service, which is by and far the number one cause of poorly written shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom