• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimension W Episode 1:
>>it is the endless clunky exposition that fails to leave an impact.

Dimension W 1
This show might have what is single handedly the most hilariously rushed exposition I have ever seen. Like I'm not exaggerating when I say that the exposition was "In 2036 or something it was discovered that not only do we have dimensions X, Y and Z, but there's also a dimension W that is like full of energy and now powers the whole world and also there's Tesla energies and tesla coils ok done"

Now fight to the death.

>>but I think I honestly liked Luck and Logic more than this and I am going to have to reconcile that I suppose.

Oh, wait. Never mind, Shard died a long time ago.

Ascheroth

Out of the ones I've watched so far, based on their first episode:

Top-tier:
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Erased

Sugita-tier:
Sekkou Boys

Not everyone's jam but my kind of jam-tier:
Active Raid

Pretty cool, but could go either way-tier:
Prince of Stride
Dimension W
Bubuki Buranki

Guilty Pleasure-tier:
Schwarzesmarken
Phantom World
Luck & Logic

Didn't really interest me much, but I didn't want to group it with Divine Gate-tier
Grimgar

Divine Gate-tier:
Divine Gate

MCD

Dimension W Episode 1:

SO this is the big hyped anime that has the Funimation behind it for unknown reasons and after watching this episode I still have yet to come up with a reason. Not that the show was bad per se but this episode was a lot blander then I was expecting and if there is a thing that is going to break me on this series, it is the endless clunky exposition that fails to leave an impact. Also robot catgirls are in season for the whims of the universe apparently. I do like the design of the MC, he looks like if Mugen from Samurai Champloo grew a beard and I will keep watching for now, but I think I honestly liked Luck and Logic more than this and I am going to have to reconcile that I suppose.

It's from Darker than Black artist. Only reason for the hype I suppose.

meh. Just make more DTB and forget this thing.

Finished Bakemonogatari

I could imagine someone telling me that this was pretentious and self-indulgent, and I could see where they're coming from. But I'm a sucker for what this show was serving, I really dug it.

The stuff with the loli characters where the most troubling unfortunately, Kana Hanazawa or not.

Araragi chose correctly however, since Senjougahara and that first date episode was fan-fuckingtastic.

It's from Darker than Black artist. Only reason for the hype I suppose.

meh. Just make more DTB and forget this thing.

Yuji Iwahara only contributed character designs for DTB.

He did do King of Thorn though, which I found good.

I was shocked as anyone but there it was. I might have also been the only one to watch that show.

I mean, it has cards in it..

So, he lost his logic card which lets him use his powers. You think you'd tuck such an important thing away somewhere safe. On that note, if it's a power inherent to them, why do they need a card to activate it anyways? How does that make any sense?

And I'm not sure how they just ran off and then jumped into a vehicle... like, whose vehicle was that? Are these guys actually just thieves?

"Last Final Finish Sword". Her attack is... triple redundant. :l

Aww, he can't help being a generic lead character in a battle anime. His sister asked him to be.

I wrote some notes for it a dozen pages back.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Finished Bakemonogatari

I could imagine someone telling me that this was pretentious and self-indulgent, and I could see where they're coming from. But I'm a sucker for what this show was serving, I really dug it.

The stuff with the loli characters where the most troubling unfortunately, Kana Hanazawa or not.

Araragi chose correctly however, since Senjougahara and that first date episode was fan-fuckingtastic.

Good luck enduring NIsemonogatari.

Probably the best show of the season but I dunno if I like it

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Shows I'm gonna push on people

Dagashi Kashi
Sekkou Boys
Oji-san to Marshmallow
Galko-chan

Its ok

Erased
Koyomimonogatari

Continuing

Osomatsu-san
Dragon Ball Super
Gundam IBO
Yamishibai
Haikyuu

Dropped

Prince of Stride
Dimension W
Bad KyoAni show
Divine Gate
Active Raid

Yes, I am dropping shows after 1 episode because fuck 'em.

Just T

Durarara x2 Ketsu- 1

Nice return episode, some funny moments at Celty's place. I do feel like I might be a bit fuzzy on some details but that should sort itself out soon.

Cornbread78

Koyomimonogatari ONA1
Araragi is such a space case with shit memory. I was kinda lost on th e timeline though. Dies this take place right before Bakemonogatari? Judging by the desk locations and Shinobu's location in Oshino's place. It was funny watching her different poses in the background during that conversation.

Koyomimonogatari ONA1
Araragi is such a space case with shit memory. I was kinda lost on th e timeline though. Dies this take place right before Bakemonogatari? Judging by the desk locations and Shinobu's location in Oshino's place. It was funny watching her different poses in the background during that conversation.

Koyomi Stone is April, before Neko: Black and Bake.

Maybe it's not really that great. Stand up for yourself. :)

I can appreciate a show while admitting it's not really for me, but I'll keep watching it for a while to see if I start to like it more.

Dimension W Episode 1:

SO this is the big hyped anime that has the Funimation behind it for unknown reasons and after watching this episode I still have yet to come up with a reason. Not that the show was bad per se but this episode was a lot blander then I was expecting and if there is a thing that is going to break me on this series, it is the endless clunky exposition that fails to leave an impact. Also robot catgirls are in season for the whims of the universe apparently. I do like the design of the MC, he looks like if Mugen from Samurai Champloo grew a beard and I will keep watching for now, but I think I honestly liked Luck and Logic more than this and I am going to have to reconcile that I suppose.

I think its clear that it fits in with the American mainstream anime tastes, so I can see how and why they would pursue doing that for this anime.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - 01

uLqF4lv.png

To quote one Kaisar: "FAVAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

So, this 'trapped in virtual reality MMORPG' premise is pretty solid and seems to be given some thought. That the characters aren't aware they're stuck in a game and we as the audience only know that they stuck, not the circumstances, makes for a pretty good base mystery. There were a few interesting concepts brought up already, such as how these characters may have been in real life. For instance, as of now we don't even know if their ingame gender is identical to their real one. It's likely that it's the case because they'd probably feel strongly that there's something wrong with them if there were such a major swap but we cant be certain. Looks like properties such as weight etc. aren't representative of their real life body. Having the characters occasionally mention terms they used in their previous normal lives and act out of habit, even if no longer makes any sense to them is a fairly nice, natural way to make the audience aware of what's going on.

Well, and then it appears as though the other half of the show serves to be little more than fanservice :| The ludicrous ass-shot in the trailers was quite telling after all. This better stops quickly or any chance of me taking this story serious is hampered big time.

Sounds like a poorman's Makoto. Disgraceful.

Makoto was scum. Keita takes responsibility in life by resisting the advances of siblings, teachers, grade schoolers, and those with weak bladders. PissXSis.. I mean KissXPiss.. err.. KissXSis is one of the masterpieces of the historical romance genre.

Koyomimonogatari ONA1

The OP should be a hint.

Good luck embracing NIsemonogatari.

Look! You are helpful this time.

Clov

Personally I liked Erased more than Rakugo, but I'm still looking forward to them both. Erased has a cool premise and is exciting to watch; Rakugo has characters that could become very interesting, and the rakugo performances themselves are great to watch. They also both have great voice acting. Their first episodes have shown lots of promise, and I can't wait to see more of them!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll be real with y'all, what sold me on Myriad Colors was the limbo animation.

No, not that one, but the dancing telephone poles and when they first shimmied under that rope.

Finished Bakemonogatari

I'm probably the only one but I never liked Senjougahara. Like every time she was onscreen I would say fuck her. I don't know if it has to do with her being a tsundere or what but damn I just can't like her.

Heck I liked the series much more when there's less screen time of her. Although I find her interactions with Hanekawa quite amusing but other than that meh. I'm actually glad she's gotten less screen time as the series progressed from what I've seen of Monogatari.

I'm probably the only one but I never liked Senjougahara. Like every time she was onscreen I would say fuck her. I don't know if it has to do with her being a tsundere or what but damn I just can't like her.

Heck I liked the series much more when there's less screen time of her. Although I find her interactions with Hanekawa quite amusing but other than that meh. I'm actually glad she's gotten less screen time from what I've seen of Monogatari.

Nadeko best girl anyways.

Qurupeke

I'll be real with y'all, what sold me on Myriad Colors was the limbo animation.

No, not that one, but the dancing totem poles and when they first shimmied under that rope.

Yeah, I like the phantoms' design. Simplistic but still interesting in their own way.

Heck I liked the series much more when there's less screen time of her. Although I find her interactions with Hanekawa quite amusing but other than that meh. I'm actually glad she's gotten less screen time as the series progressed from what I've seen of Monogatari.

Ascheroth

Why do all of you assume they're trapped in a game in Grimgar?
To me it looks more like trapped in a fantasy world with RPG elements.

Russ T

Banned
Looks like properties such as weight etc. aren't representative of their real life body.

Oh, wow, that hadn't occurred to me. Maybe she actually is overweight in the Real World, and that utter lack of confidence and poor self-image has translated to her consciousness in this world. Hmm.

I want to believe that's what's happening here, but given the conversation they were having when it occurred, and the fanservice nonsense elsewhere, I'm hesitant...

Haly

Why do all of you assume they're trapped in a game in Grimgar?
To me it looks more like trapped in a fantasy world with RPG elements.

Because the economy is loot based.

No respectable fantasy world has loot based economies.

lol I was the complete opposite, most of the time I was asking for more of her. Usually I find the tsundere archetype annoying but I just loved her banter and attitude too much.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Grimgar Episode 1:

Welp, this lost me the second they had the female characters act like apologetic clumsy oafs in battle in order to uptick an anime archetype. Dropped like a sack of loot.

Ascheroth

Because the economy is loot based.

No respectable fantasy world has loot based economies.

The current light novel and web novel trend is all about transportation/reincarnation into fantasy worlds with RPG systems, as far as I know with my limited knowledge. Like there are fantasy worlds with normal people and everything but then you have stats and skills and loot and stuff in addition. They are popular for some reason.
That said, I have no idea if that's true for Grimgar or if they are really just trapped in a game, but I'm assuming the former.

Oh, wow, that hadn't occurred to me. Maybe she actually is overweight in the Real World, and that utter lack of confidence and poor self-image has translated to her consciousness in this world. Hmm.

I want to believe that's what's happening here, but given the conversation they were having when it occurred, and the fanservice nonsense elsewhere, I'm hesitant...

I'm pretty damn sure that's what that dialogue was supposed to insinuate. Seemed just too strange that she appeared genuine in her reaction when she didn't look fat at all.

I'm also hoping it's that to some degree because that would mean this overly pathetic fanservice sequence had at least some point to it and...maybe there'll be less of that in the future!

Yeh no, this show will probably continue to be be chock-full with sexual fanservice but still, at least the weight related bits here served another point I imagine.

Haly

The current light novel and web novel trend is all about transportation/reincarnation into fantasy worlds with RPG systems, as far as I know with my limited knowledge. Like there are fantasy worlds with normal people and everything but then you have stats and skills and loot and stuff in addition. They are popular for some reason.
That said, I have no idea if that's true for Grimgar or if they are really just trapped in a game, but I'm assuming the former.

The former is a game in all but name!

I usually don't say this but if there's one thing I want KyoAni to animate, it's The Ancient Magus Bride.

I can't think of any Studio that can get the visuals of this series down other than KyoAni. It has one of the best fantasy setting I've read in manga.

But its unlikely to happen. :(

Phatmac

Grimgar Episode 1:

Welp, this lost me the second they had the female characters act like apologetic clumsy oafs in battle in order to uptick an anime archetype. Dropped like a sack of loot.
Everyone acted like clumsy oafs in battle. They got beaten like chumps against a goblin

Russ T

Banned
I'm pretty damn sure that's what that dialogue was supposed to insinuate. Seemed just too strange that she appeared genuine in her reaction when she didn't look fat at all.

I'm also hoping it's that to some degree because that would mean this overly pathetic fanservice sequence had at least some point to it and...maybe there'll be less of that in the future!

Yeh no, this show will probably continue to be be chock-full with sexual fanservice but still, at least the weight related bits here served another point I imagine.

I think that you're right and I'm glad you pointed it out, because I really hated that part until now! (Still don't like what led UP to that moment, but I'll let that slide, for now.)

I have similar hopes about the fanservice going away. Please, anime gods, whoever you are...

Everyone acted like clumsy oafs in battle. They got beaten like chumps against a goblin

Yeah, as much as I didn't like some parts of Grimgar... they were all idiots, except for the party leader healer guy, he clearly has his shit together, even if maybe his skills aren't up to snuff, yet. Like, did you miss when the big sword guy fucked up and hit the tree and couldn't get it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom