• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

wantingmoredtbussnd.gif

I wish I was a mod so I could ban you for referencing this!!

i read that article twice and havent figured it out yet

are they female japanese guidos?

Basically its just a rebellious Japanese fashion style with tons of makeup and fashionable clothing. Like Wiki says, it's used interchangeably with Kogal now, which is the short skirts, loose socks etc fashion. Like Mika from Cinderella Girls

Russ T

Banned
Blue Jacket Lupin III wherever I last posted about to 14

Hot damn this is unequivocally my favorite Lupin III. IT's got so much style and the characters are exactly what they should be, and even the Big Plot surprised me in how much I enjoyed it. Completely unbelievable, the conclusion, but so good. And that prison episode. solid.

I fucking love the competent Zenigata. He's such a goofball in Red Jacket (but then so is Lupin himself), but here he's competent, he's just not quite as good as Lupin, and it makes for a much better dynamic than a bumbling idiot.

I usually don't say this but if there's one thing I want KyoAni to animate, it's The Ancient Magus Bride.

I can't think of any Studio that can get the visuals of this series down other than KyoAni. It has one of the best fantasy setting I've read in manga.

But its unlikely to happen. :(

I dont see whats special in that cap? Whoever did SAO visuals seemed like the de facto leader in fantasy anime visuals, so wouldnt they be better for Magus Bride?

I think best fantasy setting I saw was from Tegami Bachi artist, hes such a visionary mastermind for Amberground, one of jump sq best.

Ascheroth

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - 01

So, this 'trapped in virtual reality MMORPG' premise is pretty solid and seems to be given some thought. That the characters aren't aware they're stuck in a game and we as the audience only know that they stuck, not the circumstances, makes for a pretty good base mystery. There were a few interesting concepts brought up already, such as how these characters may have been in real life. For instance, as of now we don't even know if their ingame gender is identical to their real one. It's likely that it's the case because they'd probably feel strongly that there's something wrong with them if there were such a major swap but we cant be certain. Looks like properties such as weight etc. aren't representative of their real life body. Having the characters occasionally mention terms they used in their previous normal lives and act out of habit, even if no longer makes any sense to them is a fairly nice, natural way to make the audience aware of what's going on.

Well, and then it appears as though the other half of the show serves to be little more than fanservice :| The ludicrous ass-shot in the trailers was quite telling after all. This better stops quickly or any chance of me taking this story serious is hampered big time.

Oh, wow, that hadn't occurred to me. Maybe she actually is overweight in the Real World, and that utter lack of confidence and poor self-image has translated to her consciousness in this world. Hmm.

I want to believe that's what's happening here, but given the conversation they were having when it occurred, and the fanservice nonsense elsewhere, I'm hesitant...

So I googled a bit around and it's indeed not a trapped in a video-game story, but just your regular RPG-themed fantasy world, so all that avatar/real-world speculation is pretty much doomed to lead nowhere.
It's just the description being misleading. And the talk about how the world seems like a game, is just that. It's a fantasy world that seems like a game. Not a game.

Russ T

Banned
So I googled a bit around and it's indeed not a trapped in a video-game story, but just your regular RPG-themed fantasy world, so all that avatar/real-world speculation is pretty much doomed to lead nowhere.
It's just the description being misleading. And the talk about how the world seems like a game, is just that. It's a fantasy world that seems like a game. Not a game.

I never said it was a game. U:

Well, as Haly said it doesn't matter if it's a 'fantasy world' when it's still pretty much a game in all but the name.

And there should be some real life equivalent in that world. Otherwise the references to phones and everyday terminology makes no sense at all.

Qurupeke

Your discussions made it seem interesting and I was about to start it. Now, I'll just keep ignoring it.

An anime about being trapped in a MMO and becoming gradually aware of this, sounds awesome. Kind of a subversion of the genre.

Ascheroth

Well, as Haly said it doesn't matter if it's a 'fantasy world' when it's still pretty much a game in all but the name.

And there should be some real life equivalent in that world. Otherwise the references to phones and everyday terminology makes no sense at all.

It makes sense because they're from the real world and got transported into that world, so they mention stuff from the real world. It's probably just a way to show that they're missing memories and are from the real world and make them aware that there's something wrong with them. I doubt there's more to it.

It makes sense because they're from the real world and got transported into that world, so they mention stuff from the real world. It's probably just a way to show that they're missing memories and are from the real world and make them aware that there's something wrong with them. I doubt there's more to it.

Yeh but then where's the difference.

What are the rules of this game fantasy world.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sekkou: I just want to see the kinds of crazy situations they'll come up with, given the setup.

Galko: Best.

Dagashi: I might've enjoyed a show like this at some other point in my life but I'm not feeling it now. It''s a well made show, don't get me wrong, but not what I'm looking for at this time.

Grimgar:
I'll probably scrub every episode for the background art but I can't see myself watching this in earnest. I think the major difference between this and DanMachi is that the Bell/Hestia dynamic was at least entertaining but these dudes are so bleeegh.

There aren't any "RPG mechanics in real life" stuff, right? Like stats, leveling, etc.

Dayum, while the second School Rumble OP is clearly inferior to the first one, especially in regards to the visuals, the song of the second one has grown quite a bit on me.

Ascheroth

Yeh but then where's the difference.

What are the rules of this game fantasy world.

The only difference is probably that expecting something significant out of differences between their looks and personalities in the fantasy world to their "real world selfs" is not going to lead to anything.
Otherwise, yeah, it's just a difference in name.

There aren't any "RPG mechanics in real life" stuff, right? Like stats, leveling, etc.

I have no idea, but from the looks of it, if there are going to be any, they probably won't be in your face with status pages and all that jazz.

Edit to clarify a bit: All I'm saying is that if the only reason you might be interested in this show is because there could be a difference between their current and former selfs, you'll likely end up dissappointed.
But then again, I have not read the source and all I know is just from a quick google search wether it's a "trapped in a game" or "transported to fantasy world" setting. I could be totally wrong.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It is. As a warning, the first 12 episodes are almost completely a SoL with character introductions and cameos from characters of the first anime series. It was pretty awesome since I watched the first, but most people's opinion was that it was the slowest thing this side of Galapagos.

Akari~n

I kept making jokes about not being able to see GAF-chan in the last thread and no one got it.

Thanks for the heads up, I am ok with that being a SoL tho I have a feeling I'd enjoy it more if I watch the first one, whatever it is called.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Scrubbing like every show this season so far, this season really seems unremarkable for me. Maybe Nijiro Days as your generic shoujo romcom, but everything else is kind of bland, nonsensical, or more of the same. Heck, even Nijiro Days is basically a romcom cliche. lol

Half of anime phantasy is a direct ripoff of Connecticut Yankee, with people from the future being transported to the past or to some phantasy world. The other half is the same premise, but with a video game layer slapped on top of it. lol

This one seems to not even care about the real world stuff, which makes me wonder why they even bothered in the first place.

Scrubbing like every show this season so far, this season really seems unremarkable for me. Maybe Nijiro Days as your generic shoujo romcom, but everything else is kind of bland, nonsensical, or more of the same. Heck, even Nijiro Days is basically a romcom cliche. lol

You've already forgotten about Rakugo Shinjuu? :(

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Waiting for the Dungeon Meshi adaptation so the best fantasy rpg-like setting can be touted.
I'll he a happy man if that happen. Dungeon Meshi is the best.

Dagashi Kashi 1

Unfinished OP and ED sucks, but at least the whole show was animated. I like that the director andscript writer add additional scene and referencing to other anime.

Bubuki Buranki makes it feel like the CG version of Chaos Dragon. Several elements seem similar IMO. Hopefully it has storytelling that is as tight as Chaos Dragon if it does it will be pretty rewarding in the end.

You maybe need to rewatch Chaos Dragon episode 1, i mean Bubuki Buranki episode 1 is 1000x better than Chaos Dragon episode 1(just like most shows).

JulianImp

You've already forgotten about Rakugo Shinjuu? :(

This. I posted about it a couple pages back since it surprised me with a fresh premise unlike most cookie-cutter anime series. No high school antics, no fanservice-y harems, no crazy fantasy worlds; just a story about an ex-convict looking to learn rakugo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom