• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You maybe need to rewatch Chaos Dragon episode 1, i mean Bubuki Buranki episode 1 is 1000x better than Chaos Dragon episode 1(just like most shows).

Making a covenant with a Dragon is far cooler than making it with some bulky sleeping mecha though. And the friendship level is much better people actually have great value. Chaos Dragon pushes the boundary on storytelling.

Jarmel

Banned
What Grimgar reminded me of was .hack//Legend of the Twilight. While I never seriously watched Twilight when it was airing on Toonami, the whole amnesia and bodies looking different element seem similar.

I find it interesting that the players are struggling against some basic goblins but that could be frustrating if they drag it out and the characters' progression feels too slow.

Jintor

Adam Sandler did.

I have just the movie for you:

Ljv0CRns.jpg

2anime4me

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Video game character gets stuck in real life and has to face the truth of mortality, struggling to living a life of consequences because he can no longer save-scum. Even simple, everyday choices are daunting to him because there's no objective measure of progress, no Paragon/Renegade points, no experience bars to fill.

And what is this "pooping" thing everyone does every day? How can people live like this!?

Jintor

Waiting for the Dungeon Meshi adaptation so the best fantasy rpg-like setting can be touted.

agreed

dungeon meshi, dungeon meshi

Video game character gets stuck in real life and has to face the truth of mortality, struggling to living a life of consequences because he can no longer save-scum. Even simple, everyday choices are daunting to him because there's no objective measure of progress, no Paragon/Renegade points, no experience bars to fill.

And what is this "pooping" thing everyone does every day? How can people live like this!?

you jest haly but I can see a manga about this all too easily.

except obvs it's a cute girl protagonist.

jgminto

Last Action Hero.

Everybody poops.

Wait until he has to do his taxes. That's when it's GAME OVER.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

So basically your standard fantasy setting then.

Bombless

Any opinions on Gunparade March?

I liked it a lot, which is surprising to me because I expected a mecha show, which Gunparade March really isn't. There's mechas and combat but that's just the setting, not the subject. I still watch it now and again, usually around Christmas.

Narag

People don't poop in standard fantasy.

When was the last time Frodo pooped?

I thought so.
Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I liked it a lot, which is surprising to me because I expected a mecha show, which Gunparade March really isn't. There's mechas and combat but that's just the setting, not the subject. I still watch it now and again, usually around Christmas.

Looks okay maybe. Hadn't heard about it until yesterday when I saw the PS1 game.

Grimgar Episode 1

We had anime after anime of people stuck in MMOs that were decently strong if not the strongest or at least skilled, now we finally get one starring a bunch of jobber fuck ups who can't even defeat goblins. Not only that but I actually like the goblins more, that party of goblins having dinner and drinking and laughing their asses off? Fuck I wanna drink with them bros, why do we have to follow these bunch of useless fucks? The lead seems to be the rogue, and he joins the thieves guild which is ran by a lady using a leather bra and sexy pants who needs to be way too forward with him.

In fact speaking of, please tell me why I wasn't the only one who noticed that every time a girl gets shown there was a 75% chance the camera would be behind them and they'd be doing a weird pose to have their ass stick out? It was especially funny when you're shown how they all woke up and almost every girl was facing away from the camera with their asses front and center.

I don't really see what the point of this being a fantasy MMO irl is. They don't seem to use game skills or have any of the shit that makes an rpg, it just seems more like they should have gone for the "transported to fantasy land with amnesia" route.

Haly

Dan Machi just never brought it up. You accepted that the world was a contrived MMORPG and moved on to boobstrings.

Why is GrimGar poking at the 4th wall? It does nothing but distract!

Russ T

Banned
Grimgar Episode 1

We had anime after anime of people stuck in MMOs that were decently strong if not the strongest or at least skilled, now we finally get one starring a bunch of jobber fuck ups who can't even defeat goblins. Not only that but I actually like the goblins more, that party of goblins having dinner and drinking and laughing their asses off? Fuck I wanna drink with them bros, why do we have to follow these bunch of useless fucks? The lead seems to be the rogue, and he joins the thieves guild which is ran by a lady using a leather bra and sexy pants who needs to be way too forward with him.

In fact speaking of, please tell me why I wasn't the only one who noticed that every time a girl gets shown there was a 75% chance the camera would be behind them and they'd be doing a weird pose to have their ass stick out? It was especially funny when you're shown how they all woke up and almost every girl was facing away from the camera with their asses front and center.

I don't really see what the point of this being a fantasy MMO irl is. They don't seem to use game skills or have any of the shit that makes an rpg, it just seems more like they should have gone for the "transported to fantasy land with amnesia" route.

Well that's good, 'cause that's what they did!

So I've caught up to the beginning of the autumn election in the Shoukugeki no Souma manga and, while some of the artwork is drawn better, I prefer the anime. Non-colorized food with 1-2 nicely drawn panels can't beat the colorful, animated versions where you aren't just told about juices flowing, you see them! Soundtrack, voice acting and a, to me, well chosen pacing make it a clear choice for me.

It's a very close adaptation anyways and I can't say that the fanservice is that much worse in the anime. Animated tentacles may be worse than static ones...but it's still faithful to the manga's content. Of course I would've appreciated if they lessened all that in the adaptation to begin with.

Won't read further than the anime ending. I'm quite keen on seeing the story continue but I'd rather experience it in my preferred medium.

Jarmel

Banned
It's kind of amazing how actual fantasy has sort of died or tapered off and been replaced with this psuedo-fantasy stuff.

It's kind of amazing how actual fantasy has sort of died or tapered off and been replaced with this psuedo-fantasy stuff.

That's part of the reason why I loved Dragon's Dogma so much. That's just some good 'ol DnD style fantasy shit. You get to kill Evil Eyes, Cockatrice, Cyclops and Hydras. That's dope.

Narag

This came up on twitter earlier. There's been this quiet run of fantasy shows that's just sort of forgotten lately (mostly because bad but hey)

• Maoyu
  • Rage of Bahamut
  • Chaika
  • Shirayuki-hime
  • Garo
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Rokka no Yuusha

Feels like the game/mmo angles are just higher profile in terms of fan awareness.

That's why you read the name of the wind, ultimate fantasy of getting all the bad pussy

This like recommending School Days but worse given how shit that second book was.

kewlmyc

Danmachi felt like it took place in an MMO at one point, but the author changed his mind but kept all the stat leveling elements.

Haly

As much as I hate the focus on "worldbuilding" in western fantasy and fantasy games, I see this fauxRPG trend as the opposite extreme, where writers just eschew worldbuilding entirely in favor of Capitalized Class Names and familiar J/MMORPG systems (loot, parties, bosses).

In effect they're saying "us gamers right? let's move on to the character drama then", except the character drama is never anything special, with the exception of works like Maoyuu. What sets Maoyuu apart is that the writer used the energy saved by not worldbuilding to give economics lessons, effectively trading one responsibility for another. I think that's fine. I don't like it when writers stretch themselves thin trying to cover everything *COUGHGRRMCOUGH*, but the recent string of fauxRPG LNs is just deplorably lazy.

/endrant

duckroll

Is that really true? Recently out of just what I've watched we got Rage of Bahamut Genesis, Garo, and Chaika. I'm sure there are a few more I haven't see. Naruto is still running even though the manga ended. There's more Berserk coming. Drifters is coming. There's probably shit I'm forgetting too. Is this like the "mecha is dying out" thing? Lol.

I don't think pseudo-fantasy replaced anything, it just added to the noise.

TUSR

Banned
if mecha was ever dying, I'm certain it was Cross Ange that saved it.

Chaika shot itself in the foot with pacing and 10 ep "2ndcour/S2"

As much as I hate the focus on "worldbuilding" in western fantasy and fantasy games, I see this fauxRPG trend as the opposite extreme, where writers just eschew worldbuilding entirely in favor of Capitalized Class Names and familiar J/MMORPG systems (loot, parties, bosses).

In effect they're saying "us gamers right? let's move on to the character drama then", except the character drama is never anything special, with the exception of works like Maoyuu. What sets Maoyuu apart is that the writer used the energy saved by not worldbuilding to give economics lessons, effectively trading one responsibility for another. I think that's fine. I don't like it when writers stretch themselves thing trying to cover everything *COUGHGRRMCOUGH*, but the recent string of fauxRPG LNs is just deplorably lazy.

/endrant

No matter whether it's fantasy or science-fiction or whatever, worldbuilding in light novels seems to consist of dumping a bunch of jargon on the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom