• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Usually yes but the scene in Celty's house had some awful Looney tunes like music. It was awful.
The funny scene with everyone talking over each other? It made the scene even better as it showed how chaotic everything was. No problems from me.

pbayne

The funny scene with everyone talking over each other? It made the scene even better as it showed how chaotic everything was. No problems from me.

Maybe it was just me. I guess it fitted the scene but i dunno i just hated that music so much.

Tetsuo9

Dagashi Kashi 01

Bass line from the OP got me like

jqL7FWH.jpg

Szadek

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - Ep. 1
My god, that was boring. This, plus the teribble light novel dialogue sealed the deal for me.
Dropped.

Dimension W - Ep. 1
Good start, but I'm not entierly sold on this anime yet.
They really need to explain the setting mreo in the coming episodes, and they really need to improve the actions scenes.
The first one was barely a fight scene at all. The protagnist is surrounded by heavy armed dudes and a few hectic cuts later, they are all dead.

On the plus sides, the character designs are good and the setting is intriguing enough for the moment.

Schwarzesmarken - 01

Suffering, mechs, skingtight-ish bodysuits, and grills in german uniforms. Yeah, this'll do me just fine.
I find the take on the paranoia with the whole stasi east/west germany business interesting. Fitting with some of the soundtrack having that ominous feel.

Russ T

Banned
Okay so I finished Grimgar 01

I enjoy the nice relaxed pace to this show. I love the art style, the watercolor backgrounds really do it for me. I like the fact that the characters aren't just automatically strong and actually have to struggle.

I do not like: the male gaze bullshit, the thief lady's outfit is fucking atrocious, the inane lunchtime conversation - flat-chest, big boobs, only big cause fat, etc, etc, etc.

I'm really annoyed that something I otherwise like is bogged down some seriously stupid shit. I guess I'll keep watching in the hopes I can tolerate it or that it gets better, but it's something I've lost more and mroe patience for of late. I should probably just drop it, as it was pretty egregious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay so I finished Grimgar 01

I enjoy the nice relaxed pace to this show. I love the art style, the watercolor backgrounds really do it for me. I like the fact that the characters aren't just automatically strong and actually have to struggle.

I do not like: the male gaze bullshit, the thief lady's outfit is fucking atrocious, the inane lunchtime conversation - flat-chest, big boobs, only big cause fat, etc, etc, etc.

I'm really annoyed that something I otherwise like is bogged down some seriously stupid shit. I guess I'll keep watching in the hopes I can tolerate it or that it gets better, but it's something I've lost more and mroe patience for of late. I should probably just drop it, as it was pretty egregious.
Watch Galkoooooooooooo

So far I'm all set for Winter Season.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Erased
Dimension W

These shows are enough to satisfy me and keep me from saying Winter season is bad. Hopefully they stay consistent. Although I'm still waiting for Ajin to air.

By the way, everything's just being solicited so don't take this too seriously yet, but early indications on Amazon Stalker have Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu poised to be the best-selling TV anime this season.

Darn I was hoping POSA would be the one to take off and be best selling just so we can get more of them doing their own thing with this alternative take on the base otome and novel.

I thought Rakugo would only appeal to a very older crowd of tv watchers, unless of course this is just hype and presale shop ranks decline precipitously in the days to come.

Cornbread78

Dimension W ep.1
Not bad. I like how the lead isn't your stereotypical MC. The story has promise and it has me interested in where it's going.

This season is fantastic. I have

Tuesday - Stride
Wednesday- Musaigen no Phantom World
Thursday - Erased / Dagashi Kashi
Friday - Rakugo
Saturday - Gundam/Utawarerumuno/KUMUGI R
Sunday - Dimension W

Saturday is a little packed, but I have more free time then anyways.

Qurupeke

For me winter season is:
Dimension W, Erased, Dagashi Kashi, Phantom World, Koyomimongatari + Gintama's best arc+occasionally Osomatsu-san+shorts that I'll likely forget they exist.

It's really not as bad as I expected. It's a bit weaker than the last few seasons and tbh, stuff like Dimension W or Dagashi Kashi hasn't really sold me yet but I'm willing to watch them if they remain like that and they don't get worse. Dagashi Kashi will likely not get worse, as it is a comedy, but Dimension W is bit more risky.

Erased is the one I'm looking forward to the most, I hope it will keep getting better and it will provide a good mystery. At least, so far, I haven't read any impressions from manga readers about it getting worse or nonsensical.

Man, I'm lagging behind on all these episodes.

Active Raid 01

Like people are saying, this feels like the Tiger and Bunny of this season. Unlike other people are saying, I didn't think Tiger and Bunny was particularly great so this being just as mindless fun appears to be the way it's going. That being said I like the designs of the characters and a couple of their personalities (from what we saw considering the breakneck pace this anime was running at) but holy shit I was really taken out of it by 1. her saying she came to the 8th division to keep them in line cause they're wild and crazy and then they handle everything using proper steps and citing articles and using laws and proving themselves more competent and smarter than her and 2. the MC being promoted early, being super smart and proficient and being COMPLETELY FUCKING STUPID and having the rest of the cast interrupt her, prove her wrong and generally make her look like she couldn't tie her fucking shoes together. While they may have been going for that, to show she's not competent in an active situation out on the field they failed hard at earning her smarts beforehand to make us see her stumble or have difficulty; instead she just yelled a lot and was a complete idiot and that's ALL we've seen of her so all we can think is she's stupid as fuck.

That's looking way more into a character than this show will probably ever do, but it bugged the fuck out of me considering their set up is why she's there. Action scenes and CG were alright I guess.

Bubuki Buranki 01

This COULD be good but holy shit Japan why the fuck are you so bad at explaining things? You either give us long-winded monologues of made up terms that reads like an 8th grader writing a Wikipedia article on string theory or you DON'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING AND HAVE CHARACTERS REACT TO THINGS AND SHOW EMOTIONS THE SHOW HASN'T EARNED YET. Like I was running with it but then a girl breaks in using a Bubuki of a Buranki of a Bibidy Boo Bic Bobbery. And then by the time you're like "Okay, I guess these are parts of a Buranki that 'certain people' can use and whatever" and the first antagonist guy shows up and the girl flips out and yadda yadda and HE KILLED HER DAD AND oh my god you haven't done anything in the show to allow us to care about this it's the first fucking episode. I know you have to draw people in but you WERE DOING THAT in the first half with the mom and dad and everything! It was mysterious and intriguing and the usage of words worked because it added to the weirdness and otherness of the world we were seeing. Everything up on the floating island was great set up but they fucking blew it as soon as the timeskip happened. I'm still gonna watch this but god damn was it frustrating to have characters talk about and react to and emote at shit we have no idea about because you didn't give us the tools to attach ourselves to this world.

GATE 13

Wow. Considering their neutering of the violence and nudity in the show thus far, I'm sorta amazed they kept the rape scene. And, to be honest, in this specific show I don't really mind it. It's utilized well as a set up between the shitty Prince and the rape-ee and their relationship and further plot points. Obviously I'd prefer less shows use rape as a plot point like that or fuel for a female character's progression but if it's going to happen then as long as it's used properly I can stand it. Maybe this means they were successful enough that they can amp up the darker parts of the world a little better.

Gundam IBO 14

Knew she was a traitor but was surprised she didn't actually turn. Like everyone says, some nice stuff in the beginning setting up the turn at the end that leads to some interesting questions. Kinda wish when Kudelia was talking to Fumitan, Fumitan just said "Sometimes people who like each other just date or fuck and don't think about marriage from the first flirtatious look. Get a grip." HA HA HA HA. Yeah right, Japan.

This season is fantastic. I have

Tuesday - Stride
Wednesday- Musaigen no Phantom World
Thursday - Erased / Dagashi Kashi
Friday - Rakugo
Saturday - Gundam/Utawarerumuno/KUMUGI R
Sunday - Dimension W

Saturday is a little packed, but I have more free time then anyways.

Mine would be
Monday - Ace of Diamond / Dagashi Kashi / Snow White With Red Hair

Tuesday - Prince of Stride

Wednesday - Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note / Phantom World / Haruchika

Thursday - Naruto Shippuden / Assassination Classroom / Active Raid / Erased

Friday - Divine Gate / Heavy Object / Heavy Object [engDub] / Sekko Boys / Future card buddyfight:100 / Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis [engDUB] / Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju / GATE / Fairy Tail

Saturday - Luck & Logic / Bubuki Buranki / Durarara!! X2 The Third Arc / Haikyuu!! / World Trigger / One Piece / Brave Beats

Sunday - Gundam Iron BLooded Orphans / Grimgar / Nijiiro Days / Dimension W / Schwarzsmarken /

Grimgar 1

Already better than almost every other "summoned into a fantasy world" in that there are no godawful game mechanics dictating the world. And I can already tell that Ranta will be my favorite character in this show, provided he doesn't turn evil or anything.

Also, is it possible to watch Schwarzesmarken without any experience with the rest of the franchise?

phaze

Ghost Hound 13

I always like when Konaka goes for this, feverish dream approach and this one was no exception. Even the story, that was fairly subdued till now seems to be shifting into high gears.

Yami Shibai S3 01

Is this what they call the stone soup method ?
But what did she need the soap for.

The Big O 23

Beck is like if there was a Batman villain that was just a regular mook, but he was heavily reoccurring and an A-lister. I don't know what anyone wants in this show anymore, except that Norman is goddamn Rambo.

Yamishibai S3 01

What happened to the happy mask man? And no more Hatsune Miku ED?

Once again I burst out laughing at the monster. Humpty Dumpty looks pissed off.

Dagashi Kashi - 01

Had a good laugh...at the OP's and ED's production values.

Other than that it was almost funny and worthwhile.

Ojisan to Marshmallow - 01

Kinda weird. On the verge of being humorous.

Oshiete! Galko-chan - 01

Smirked twice. So, not bad for a start.

Yer killin me

Sölf

So, we finished our weekly stream. What the fuck.

Sushi Police
Short and insane. My lord, this will be good.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi
This one was pretty great. I am definitly hooked, it will also probably be the most normal show this season I am going to watch. I am sad that we won't see potential best girl anymore though. :(

Dimension W
This also looked pretty cool. The opening was really well done, this could also become really go. Mira is alsready pretty awesome, as is Wolverine.

Dagashi Kashi
What the fuck did I just see? xD
This was extremely insane, like, what the fuck. Everybody is on drugs or something, but holy shit was it hilarious. Not sure who is best girl yet, both are great.

Sekko Boys
I expected insanity, it had suprisingly much story in episode 1. And it wasn't as insane as Dagashi Kashi, which I also didn't expect. xD

Nerima Daikon Brothers
We also watched this. Holy shit, Nabeshin, what did you do. I didn't really know what to expect but this was more insane than I thought. It was even more insane than Dagashi Kashi, which was... suprising. I am not sure if I would survive more than one episode... xD

Bubuki Buranki 01

This COULD be good but holy shit Japan why the fuck are you so bad at explaining things? You either give us long-winded monologues of made up terms that reads like an 8th grader writing a Wikipedia article on string theory or you DON'T EXPLAIN ANYTHING AND HAVE CHARACTERS REACT TO THINGS AND SHOW EMOTIONS THE SHOW HASN'T EARNED YET. Like I was running with it but then a girl breaks in using a Bubuki of a Buranki of a Bibidy Boo Bic Bobbery. And then by the time you're like "Okay, I guess these are parts of a Buranki that 'certain people' can use and whatever" and the first antagonist guy shows up and the girl flips out and yadda yadda and HE KILLED HER DAD AND oh my god you haven't done anything in the show to allow us to care about this it's the first fucking episode. I know you have to draw people in but you WERE DOING THAT in the first half with the mom and dad and everything! It was mysterious and intriguing and the usage of words worked because it added to the weirdness and otherness of the world we were seeing. Everything up on the floating island was great set up but they fucking blew it as soon as the timeskip happened. I'm still gonna watch this but god damn was it frustrating to have characters talk about and react to and emote at shit we have no idea about because you didn't give us the tools to attach ourselves to this world.

I had to laugh when the bolded part happened, it was just so random. I also agree with the rest you've said. The two parts of the ep really should have been two separate episodes. While the first part was mostly fine, I think a bit more time spent with the family would have resulted in a greater emotional impact at the end.
The second half however was a mess, throwing in a bunch of characters at mach speed. And before we even get to any of these characters the show already starts to throw revelations and plot twists at the viewer (like the mischievous grin of the blond guy at the end). How am I supposed to care about any of that?
I actually didn't mind that the world and terminology was left mostly unexplained as they did a decent job of showing what all the stuff was. But at least establish your characters before going into the plot.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dimension W Episode 1:

SO this is the big hyped anime that has the Funimation behind it for unknown reasons and after watching this episode I still have yet to come up with a reason. Not that the show was bad per se but this episode was a lot blander then I was expecting and if there is a thing that is going to break me on this series, it is the endless clunky exposition that fails to leave an impact. Also robot catgirls are in season for the whims of the universe apparently. I do like the design of the MC, he looks like if Mugen from Samurai Champloo grew a beard and I will keep watching for now, but I think I honestly liked Luck and Logic more than this and I am going to have to reconcile that I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom