• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first season is quite good and has some pretty solid character work, it really isn't until the sequel season that things really bog down.

I've been watching that lately too but at episode ~8 or so pretty much dropped it and doubt I'll be back. The terrible misunderstandings (" I thought you hated me !, " Really ? I thought you hated me !"), the sugary nature of it all and the fact that the manga is still on going and light spoilers
from what I understand, expecting any kind of progress on the main front is a fool's errand
sap any kind determination I've had to finish this. If they would end it in 24 episodes, I'd probably trudge until the end but as it is I'll keep it dropped wait for your impressions !

Hmm. Let's see how I'll view the upcoming episodes. As I said, I might be at a bit of a turning point.

Yes great show.

I couldn't recommend watching it and lovely complex together though. You'll end up banging your head into a wall at the characters stupidity at times.

Ayane and Chizuru are like the greatest friends ever though right.

They seem quite alright so far. If they're more than that is yet to be seen though!

Kinda intentionally wanted to watch similar romcoms next to each other. Lovely Complex got the upper hand at this point, especially with its more natural dialogue.

Ascheroth

I can't even tell which of the two anime that GIF is from.

Grimgar was really bad, yet still better than this, somehow.

I thought Grimgar was super boring coupled with some amazingly cringeworthy dialog and had only an interesting premise and good visuals going for it.

Whereas Konosuba was entertaining and hilarious throughout with some great reaction faces, but was brought down by overall bad visuals.

So yeah, Konosuba > Grimgar for me

Based on the first episode Konosuba appears to be otaku entertainment done right. Not taking itself too seriously nor doing that silly self-awareness crap but just stupid funny entertainment.
Nothing wrong with, at least it doesn't justify such knee-jerk reactions.

Can we please stop taking one look at things and responding with knee-jerk reactions of "THE SHOW'S SHIT"?

I understand certain designs can allow one to set their expectations accordingly but this attitude is just downright unpleasant and uncalled for. The actual qualities of the show itself aren't even being talked about and no worthwhile discussion happens.

Jarmel

Banned
Based on the first episode Konosuba appears to be otaku entertainment done right. Not taking itself too seriously nor doing that silly self-awareness crap but just stupid funny entertainment.
Nothing wrong with, at least it doesn't justify such knee-jerk reactions.

Oh it's totally self-aware however so far it hasn't really played things straight despite being self-aware which is more of the problem.

KONOSUBA episode 1

Okay, that wasn't too bad. I mean it's not high brow entertainment, and the art is all over the place, but it made me laugh. (Specifically the "adventure" montage.)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phantom World 2
Trivia, stretching, chest groping, incantations, finger sucking, puppies.

Also at least one cut was recycled within the ep and a flashback recycled ep 1. For shame KyoAni.

FOR SHAME.

And college girls

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I'm going through Daisuki's times thanks to the twitter link posted earlier and notice their times are completely different from other services, including different days so some shows have to be listed twice. Also I've double checked Crucnhy's times and have a link to both their schedules as sources. Does anyone have a neat link to Funimation's schedule with times? This page is pretty useless..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Can we please stop taking one look at things and responding with knee-jerk reactions of "THE SHOW'S SHIT"?

I understand certain designs can allow one to set their expectations accordingly but this attitude is just downright unpleasant and uncalled for. The actual qualities of the show itself aren't even being talked about and no worthwhile discussion happens.

I think you already know the answer to this.

Is this another one of those "I'mm a shit HARD on this season" OTs where everyone tries to outdo each other on how hard they can shit on a show on the first episode?

I thought we were finally past that.

Is this another one of those "I'mm a shit HARD on this season" OTs where everyone tries to outdo each other on how hard they can shit on a show on the first episode?

Every thread of every season of anime on literally any site within the anime community.

pbayne

Im relatively optimistic about this season. I think Haruchika is the only thing ive dropped and for all I know it could still turn out great.

Even Durarara. which im usually super critical towards, was a lot of fun and this arc is shaping up nicely.

Or maybe I just don't watch things I know ill hate.

Im relatively optimistic about this season. I think Haruchika is the only thing ive dropped and for all I know it could still turn out great.

Even Durarara. which im usually super critical towards, was a lot of fun and this arc is shaping up nicely.

Or maybe I just don't watch things I know ill hate.

I'd actually say that for a Winter season it's shaping up to be surprisingly solid.

It's mostly one person whose entire shtick is to do that.

Dimension W should be cool.
Grimgar...the LN is slow heat so i doubt first episode can make something very interesting.
Just notice i got Grimgar first episode right lol, good art style and background but story not making many people feel interesting(yet).
Though i'm actually a bit disappointed to Dimension W episode 1, the action seems not as nice as i thought.

I'd actually say that for a Winter season it's shaping up to be surprisingly solid.
Well yeah, many Winter shows are good or potentially can be good.
We got action, comedy, drama, sports, card game, robot(IBO from fall), and even harem thing like "something Bahamut" have a fine first episode.
The only left currently for you guys will be...Ajin, but then i already watch the movie so i can say it's good too, the problem is movie's first half is kinda slow and since TV is just re-edit of the movie, i'm not sure can TV first episode interesting enough for you guys.

pbayne

Gintamas Shogun Assassination arc is still amazing.

Here is a nice little list for people who want to see all of Gintamas more serious arcs

Episode 17- First time seeing Takasugi
Benizakura: Episodes 58-61 (proper intro of the Kiheitai)
Shinsengumi Crisis: Episodes 101-105
Yoshiwara in Flames: Episodes 139-146 (proper intro of Kamui and Tsukyo)
Red Spider: Episodes 177-188
Kabukicho Four Devas: Episodes 210-214
Episode 215: Takasugi & Kamui alliance
Thorny (Baragaki): Episodes 244-247
*Courtesan of a Nation (Ikkoku Keisei): Episodes 257-261 (not much with the main plot, but so damn sad!)
Joi Reunion: Episodes 271-272 (more info on Joi backstory)
Grim Reaper: Episodes 279-281 (more on Gintoki's past)
Kaientai: Episodes 290-291 (more n Sakamoto's past)

Im biased on this, because I adore the Shinsengumi, but the thorny arc is still my favorite serious arc.

Favorite non-serious the popularity poll arc.

And the best anything in Gintama is the two-parter with Okita's sister.

How could people think Grimgar was bad?

It's pushing the genre forward! With such interesting character designs too! (NSFW?)

Okay that first episode of Grimgar wasn't very good, but I feel like the show could improve. Hopefully by pushing some of the more terrible aspects out the story. (Looking at you barman.) I'll probably be completely wrong, but I want to believe.

So I'm going through Daisuki's times thanks to the twitter link posted earlier and notice their times are completely different from other services, including different days so some shows have to be listed twice. Also I've double checked Crucnhy's times and have a link to both their schedules as sources. Does anyone have a neat link to Funimation's schedule with times? This page is pretty useless..

For FUNI: just click on simulcasts and look at the right side of the screen. It is the actual Simulcast schedule.

Qurupeke

Im biased on this, because I adore the Shinsengumi, but the thorny arc is still my favorite serious arc.

Favorite non-serious the popularity poll arc.

And the best anything in Gintama is the two-parter with Okita's sister.

Honestly, I can't think of any serious arc that I didn't like. While I don't really disagree with yours, Yoshiwara in Flames and Red Spider are both my favourites. Mainly for having three of my favourite fights, being about one of the best Gintama characters and making Tsukuyo x GIntoki a thing.

pbayne

Honestly, I can't think of any serious arc that I didn't like. While I don't really disagree with yours, Yoshiwara in Flames and Red Spider are both my favourites. Mainly for having three of my favourite fights, being about one of the best Gintama characters and making Tsukuyo x GIntoki a thing.

Feel bad for sa-chan but yes this is the canon couple to me as well.

I dunno I guess its is just pretty rare for me to watch a show I hate since I have a very good idea of the things I like.

Same applies to video games and TV shows.

If I end up hating something it is usually because I liked it a lot in the beginning. Garo for example.

How could people think Grimgar was bad?

It's pushing the genre forward! With such interesting character designs too! (NSFW?)

Okay that first episode of Grimgar wasn't very good, but I feel like the show could improve. Hopefully by pushing some of the more terrible aspects out the story. (Looking at you barman.) I'll probably be completely wrong, but I want to believe.

Btw i wonder do you guys watch next episode preview? i mean, Grimgar have next episode preview after ending song, that may give you guys some thoughts.

Grimgar looked good visually at least.

It had cute goblins. 10/10 for cute goblins.
Btw i wonder do you guys watch next episode preview? i mean, Grimgar have next episode preview after ending song, that may give you guys some thoughts.

I watched the next episode preview. It seems like the goblin fight is coming, and things aren't going to go well.

Which would be much more interesting than your typical stuck in an MMO anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I end up hating something it is usually because I liked it a lot in the beginning. Garo for example.

Reminds me of my distaste for Yakitate! Japan which I was ranting a bit about in the OPM thread. Since I really liked it at the beginning my distaste for it as a result of what it became is that much greater than other shows that I never really had any liking for.

JCG

Man, I tried to give Active Raid's première episode another shot because the guy in charge did Planetes, which is an all-time great anime, just in case I missed something or I was just off at the time of watching it at first, but nope. It's terrible.

I suppose I have to keep in mind that the same guy did s-CRY-ed and Code Geass, too. One-hit wonder.

If you are expecting him to outright repeat a show in exactly the same vein as Planetes, that is a very easy way to be disappointed. I imagine some people shared your thoughts when he made Gun X Sword back in 2005. You can find elements of the specific directorial style Taniguchi used for Planetes in the likes of Infinite Ryvius and (no joke!) Maria the Virgin Witch, which are good shows that you may or may not enjoy, but it'll never be literally the same.

There's a couple of things about Taniguchi that I can personally appreciate but which, understandably so, aren't going to be everyone else's cup of tea. As a director, the guy doesn't really want to repeat himself. In fact, he likes to take on very different projects whenever possible. Probably a vague extension of how his early industry career was mostly oriented towards robot anime, yes, but very distinct kinds of it (from kid-friendly Super Robot shows to a couple of Gundam series, GaoGaiGar and Gasaraki). Otherwise, he would have already made Code Geass S3, because that's certainly what the largest number of people on this planet would want from him (which qualifies as his biggest hit in the more mainstream sense, love it or hate it). But most of those folks probably don't know he never made (and probably never wanted to make) an Infinite Ryvius II nor a Planetes II. Given that I've enjoyed all of his shows for different reasons -from the most serious to the most campy- and don't want to see an endless spiral of repetition, none of this bothers me.

Aside from all of the above, Active Raid is being written by a Tokusatsu screenwriter, Naruhisa Arakawa, which isn't a small difference. Even if the director hypothetically wanted to make the same kind of show, which he clearly doesn't, the writing style is obviously not going to remain identical. So far it's been a divisive choice. The first episode's structure is either pretty entertaining (albeit shallow) or just boring, depending on who you ask. But even if later episodes change things up, one way or another, they almost certainly won't be what you are looking for. In the meanwhile, I'll just be one of the handful of people on this forum who didn't dislike ep 1.

John Blade

Mylene+5.jpg

Don't have much expectation for 009-1 but it look like something stupid fun show. Android spy girls in cold war setting with weapon that put in questionable place. Can't say I am not complain.

Phatmac

It's difficult to rate my favorite Gintama arc but ones that have Tsukuyo in them are usually rated higher. It probably won't have a romantic end since Gintoki hasn't had a focus on besides being used as comedy. Still, they're great together and have some sweet moments together.

Watched most of the episodes of Kill la Kill. It was pretty good, always thought the fanservice was a tad much but after awhile you just gloss over it. Second half of the show wasn't as good as the first half though.

Ragyo was a pretty annoying villain. Sure she was totally crazy and hella creepy but I didn't really enjoy her as a villain. I found her too creepy for my tastes and she just wasn't as enjoyable of a big bad as Satsuki was. Lady Satsuki was the best part of this show, so boss. Her, Nonon and Mako were the most enjoyable parts of the show.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 47

While I'm not a huge fan of GoPri, I suspect my opinions of it will rise in the future when I look back at it. Well, this is an episode that needed to happen. Haruka looks nice with long hair. It's nice that she rejected the false world, but Close has a point in that I'm not sure what she actually intends to do to become a princess. Okay, there's the Precure stuff, but that's sort of separate from the more classical princess she seems to want to become. Or maybe she just wants to embody their virtues, which is why she keeps spouting off kind, strong, and beautiful. Well, at least her new attack was neat. Though I do wish these final attacks got to be shown off more than 2 or 3 times. Feels like a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom