• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

So is anyone going to check out that Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress show coming out in april by the AOT team? It is looking derivative of AOT but I liked how the characters looked and Tetsuro Araki hasn't bored me yet.

I'm sure as hell going to check out the show made by the studio that did Attack on Titan, the director of Attack on Titan and the composer of Attack on Titan that is clearly not Attack on Titan... with trains.

no slap will ever surpass until dawn and emily

WHbTCZj.gif

Remember when we rated anime slaps?
4/10

The second slap was a nice touch but the slapping lacks dynamics and impact.

Looks like a serious rather than comedic slap.

In such cases, what happens after the slap, how the slapped responds is integral to the quality of a good slap.
Look here, this character is not only forced to her knees, but also slowly reaches for her cheek, as if slapped dizzy.

Or some of the famous Gundam slaps.

Notice how the other characters respond to the slap in the second gif.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
At least there's still Gintama, Haikyuu, and Gundam IBO to keep my interest in anime afloat. My interests being a lot of high quality shonen, action/drama/science fiction stuff; I have literally run out of stuff to watch. I've seen a LOT of 7.5-10 rated anime in this category, so I don't have much of a backlog. Any recommendations would be dope!

Quick overview, but not all of stuff I've seen: champloo, op, hxh, katanagatari, mushishi, jojo, planetes, geass, aot, bebop, lagaan, hellsing, fma/:b, and almost everything in between.

Sheentak

Gintamas Shogun Assassination arc is still amazing.

Here is a nice little list for people who want to see all of Gintamas more serious arcs

Episode 17- First time seeing Takasugi
Benizakura: Episodes 58-61 (proper intro of the Kiheitai)
Shinsengumi Crisis: Episodes 101-105
Yoshiwara in Flames: Episodes 139-146 (proper intro of Kamui and Tsukyo)
Red Spider: Episodes 177-188
Kabukicho Four Devas: Episodes 210-214
Episode 215: Takasugi & Kamui alliance
Thorny (Baragaki): Episodes 244-247
*Courtesan of a Nation (Ikkoku Keisei): Episodes 257-261 (not much with the main plot, but so damn sad!)
Joi Reunion: Episodes 271-272 (more info on Joi backstory)
Grim Reaper: Episodes 279-281 (more on Gintoki's past)
Kaientai: Episodes 290-291 (more n Sakamoto's past)

TUSR

Banned
Kizumonogatari (Canada)

@AzolandPictures: @TUSRed We always do our best to bring Anime movies to Canada. Kizumonogatari is not an exception. Thank you very much for your patience!

phaze

At least there's still Gintama, Haikyuu, and Gundam IBO to keep my interest in anime afloat. My interests being a lot of high quality shonen, action/drama/science fiction stuff; I have literally run out of stuff to watch. I've seen a LOT of 7.5-10 rated anime in this category, so I don't have much of a backlog. Any recommendations would be dope!

Quick overview, but not all of stuff I've seen: champloo, op, hxh, katanagatari, mushishi, jojo, planetes, geass, aot, bebop, lagaan, hellsing, fma/:b, and almost everything in between.
Action:
Birdy the Mighty Decode
Yozakura Quartet
Afro Samurai

Other:
House of Five Leaves
Shigurui
Mononoke
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mecha:
Gunbuster+Diebuster
-----

Since you seem to be fine with shounens, maybe Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas ?

Jarmel

Banned
hahaha

Whimsically decided to check the ANN impression for Konosuba and someone dogged the show for being too mean spirited.

ANN said:
The tone of this whole awkward knockoff goes way beyond crass otaku wish fulfillment or harmless fanservice-for-laughs. Sword Art Online was gross sometimes, but it was never mean-spirited. Overlord was sadistic most of the time, but it still wasn't mean-spirited. KONOSUBA is odd because it seems spiteful in a way that clashes with its bubbly aesthetic. There's this weird unspoken delight in Aqua's description of how Kazuma pissed his pants before dying (with piss-pants closeup in harsh lighting). The show goes out of its way to say that Aqua herself is really stupid and shallow, even emblazoning her abysmally low intelligence on her RPG-style character sheet and mentioning it multiple times after that. The problem with this is that Aqua doesn't act like an especially stupid person. She just acts like "a girl," or more accurately, an over-the-top facsimile of how a cliché otaku might describe "that 3-D bitch, looking down on me." Yes, that's an unfair diminishment of otaku stereotypes too, but that's also how the show characterizes Kazuma, so I guess it just thinks everyone stinks equally!

I guess this hit home a bit too hard.

Moaradin

outside of the obvious stuff like ippo, yamato 2199, gunbuster/diebuster...

maybe birdy, kyousougiga, and yozakura quartet?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thank you TUSR for bringing Kizu to Canada.

Kimi ni Todoke - 03

Came up recently when talking about Lovely Complex and I wanted to check it out.

So while it's pretty nice so far, I'm not sure what to think of the narrative. This were seriously 3 episodes of "misunderstood girl finally gets to connect with people and everyone finds out she's awesome in actuality.Also the cool guy can't get himself to fucking confess already." It's a nice, simple story but it feels like the major conflict has already been solved and yet there's 22 episodes left in this first season. There's been hints of a conflict coming in regards to at least one other girl who likes the popular guy who's fallen for our MC. Well, and then there was some bullshit conflict arising just at the end of this third episode, one that probably won't amount to more than some major misunderstanding.

I liked it well enough this far but wonder if it can satisfy in the long run.

Sölf

Phantom World 02
Huh, that was better than I expected after EP 1. Not as much lewdness as I expected after that pole dancing scene in the first episode, but actually somewhat serious. Still whacky as heck, but yeah, this could turn out pretty cool.

hahaha

Whimsically decided to check the ANN impression for Konosuba and someone dogged the show for being too mean spirited.

I guess this hit home a bit too hard.

Hope Chapman wrote that didn't she?

Oh Hope.

BTW, you want to laugh, look up her early impression of the first GARO series.

Looks like a serious rather than comedic slap.

In such cases, what happens after the slap, how the slapped responds is integral to the quality of a good slap.
Look here, this character is not only forced to her knees, but also slowly reaches for her cheek, as if slapped dizzy.
It is even better because when she was slapped she continued to be submissive adding the devastating psychological power of the slap as well.

Kimi ni Todoke - 03

Came up recently when talking about Lovely Complex and I wanted to check it out.

So while it's pretty nice so far, I'm not sure what to think of the narrative. This were seriously 3 episodes of "misunderstood girl finally gets to connect with people and everyone finds out she's awesome in actuality.Also the cool guy can't get himself to fucking confess already." It's a nice, simple story but it feels like the major conflict has already been solved and yet there's 22 episodes left in this first season. There's been hints of a conflict coming in regards to at least one other girl who likes the popular guy who's fallen for our MC. Well, and then there was some bullshit conflict arising just at the end of this third episode, one that probably won't amount to more than some major misunderstanding.

The first season is quite good and has some pretty solid character work, it really isn't until the sequel season that things really bog down.

Sölf

So yesterday I continued to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds. I am now at episode 70 (was at 66 before). The one thing I still don't really like, and which I also didn't like for most of GX, are the extremely short duels. Most only last 1-2 episodes max and even then they last like, what, 2-3 turns maybe. Back in the original series there were some pretty great duels which went on for quite some time over several turns. I don't know, even back then they always got the cards they needed, but because the duels lasted longer they actually gelt more like "real" duels.

That's what I though. Until today, when I played the NDS game from 2011, where I was basically killed in 2 turns by the CPU. Like, what. Straight out of the show, srsly.

Sölf;192105558 said:
So yesterday I continued to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds. I am now at episode 70 (was at 66 before). The one thing I still don't really like, and which I also didn't like for most of GX, are the extremely short duels. Most only last 1-2 episodes max and even then they last like, what, 2-3 turns maybe. Back in the original series there were some pretty great duels which went on for quite some time over several turns. I don't know, even back then they always got the cards they needed, but because the duels lasted longer they actually gelt more like "real" duels.

That's what I though. Until today, when I played the NDS game from 2011, where I was basically killed in 2 turns by the CPU. Like, what. Straight out of the show, srsly.

Yeah, real life yugioh duels rarely take that long, especially as the meta has grown and allowed for more speedy combos

Ascheroth

Sölf;192105558 said:

Don't worry, you're going to get some long duels too. And they tend to be great iirc.

Looking for recommendations, eh? Since you didn't give a comprehensive list you may have watching some of the below, but here are things I can recommend based on your description of your taste.

Action:
Blood-C TV
Blue Exorcist: the Movie
Code:Breaker
Dirty Pair (particularly the film Project Eden)
Garo the Animation (a.k.a., Garo: Honoo no Kokuin)
Ghost in the Shell (2015 movie)
Gintama
Gunsmith Cats
Hunter X Hunter 1999 (if you only saw the 2011 version)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (if you only saw the TV series)
R.O.D. OVA
Skull Man
You Are Umasou
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Yuu Yuu Hakusho

Drama:
Aoi Bungaku
Colorful (movie)
Eccentric Family
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Gankutsuou
Giovanni's Island
Hyouka
Mai Mai Miracle
Master Keaton
Oniisama e
Only Yesterday
Perfect Blue
Ping Pong the Animation
Rozen Maiden (2013)
Shounen Hollywood
Tsuritama
When Marnie Was There
Wolf's Rain

Science Fiction:
Boogiepop Phantom
Dennou Coil
Jin-Roh
Kaiba
Noein
Patlabor films and TV
Serial Experiments Lain
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Time of Eve

Acosta

Konosuba (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!) ep.1
LdB4PQE.gif

Ok, That was pretty good. I like the world setting, the music, (ED is sweet!) the characters, so far, have unique personalities, and are very "non-traditional." They did time skip a little bit towards the end of the episode with still shots, which was felt cheap, but outside of that, they set things up for the season and it looks like it could be pretty damn fun to follow with the good comedy and interesting characters.

Creating OT, this should be fun.

Yeah, had a lot of fun with the episode 1. I like shows that are self-depreciating like this and the characters are charming.

phaze

Kimi ni Todoke - 03

I've been watching that lately too but at episode ~8 or so pretty much dropped it and doubt I'll be back. The terrible misunderstandings (" I thought you hated me !, " Really ? I thought you hated me !"), the sugary nature of it all and the fact that the manga is still on going and light spoilers
from what I understand, expecting any kind of progress on the main front is a fool's errand
sap any kind determination I've had to finish this. If they would end it in 24 episodes, I'd probably trudge until the end but as it is I'll keep it dropped wait for your impressions !

Sölf

Yeah, real life yugioh duels rarely take that long, especially as the meta has grown and allowed for more speedy combos

Yeah, but just looking back, some of the duels lasted for like 3-5 episodes in the original series whereas the longest in GX was... 3 episodes? Maybe? xD
Just feels so short man!

pbayne

Kimi ni Todoke - 03

Yes great show.

I couldn't recommend watching it and lovely complex together though. You'll end up banging your head into a wall at the characters stupidity at times.

Ayane and Chizuru are like the greatest friends ever though right.

Sölf;192106068 said:
Yeah, but just looking back, some of the duels lasted for like 3-5 episodes in the original series whereas the longest in GX was... 3 episodes? Maybe? xD
Just feels so short man!

That's because the game was much more slow and boring back then and lacked a lot of fundemental concepts including archetypes and stuff

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll start with Birdy and Yozakura Quartet since it was brought up multiple times. I'll copy these lists down for future reference.

Sölf;192105558 said:

Maybe your deck? I was always defense heavy so most of my duels end when one of us runs out of cards first.

[Fast duels in games for me was when they get out their BLue Eyes Ultimate Dragon on the first turn]

Maybe Im used to the low turns for duels, I dont think the mangas had high turn counts.

Cornbread78

Yeah, had a lot of fun with the episode 1. I like shows that are self-depreciating like this and the characters are charming.

Yes! It was a lot of fun to watch. Don't forget to stop by the OT as well:

Konosuba OT:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170038

Yes great show.

I couldn't recommend watching it and lovely complex together though. You'll end up banging your head into a wall at the characters stupidity at times.

Ayane and Chizuru are like the greatest friends ever though right.

I've been watching that lately too but at episode ~8 or so pretty much dropped it and doubt I'll be back. The terrible misunderstandings (" I thought you hated me !, " Really ? I thought you hated me !"), the sugary nature of it all and the fact that the manga is still on going and light spoilers
from what I understand, expecting any kind of progress on the main front is a fool's errand
sap any kind determination I've had to finish this. If they would end it in 24 episodes, I'd probably trudge until the end but as it is I'll keep it dropped wait for your impressions !

OMG, all the misunderstandings, stalling and general agnst of that show drove me
fu(king nuts! I actually had to put the last 6 episodes on hold because it got so frustrating to watch. It's a cute show overall but between the the first season being as slow as honey and all those damn misunderstandings, I really wanted to tear and burn the show up.

That really only happened in that one arc late in Lovely Complex, where they had that 1 completely un-needed drama arc...

Nah, just based upon art style alone, I'm naming it the worst of the Shit Art Online shows of the season.

Oh no, it is definately NOT SAO.

JnRANjx.gif

Exalted

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! Episode 1

Suprisingly funny episode. We had some many serious alternative game world series in the past, that it is nice to see a parody for a change. The visuals were basic , but all the characters are enjoyable. I like it, will definitely watch more.

Konosuba-1

To my utter shock, this was one of the better episodes this season. You would think from the premise it would be the usual faux-fantasy tripe but they really play it up comedically and with enough insight into the usual tropes, that everything comes off as hilarious. For example the main character
dying of shock instead of being ran over or his thought process when his skills were being read out

There were also some really good directional effects such as the pause screen or the old school sound effects that play up the game atmosphere. The montage was sort of clever in that it was used for dual purposes in that it was showing the leads becoming closer but also done for comedic effect.

The biggest downside is the show kinda looks like shit, which I feel bad saying as there are some great reaction faces. The character designs just never feels particularly consistent and the art direction so far is lacking. It's not a really bad looking show but I can already tell the production is going to fall apart hard and it being Deen doesn't strike confidence.

Really good watch so far despite my super low expectations.

I watched the first episode as well, and I was almost just as surprised as you were.

Despite some verbal sparring here and there, I'm surprised that the two leads seem to already have a genuine sort of comradery with each other. Like, the fact that they even sleep together and don't make a fuss about it was what really shocked me. I mean, they're not total besties, but at least they aren't at each other's throats or one of them is super dominant over the other. They're almost at "acting like bros" levels. Almost.

So yeah, if they keep up the comradery and the friendly atmosphere (I don't imagine it will, but one can dream), this might end up being legitimately enjoyable. Might.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom