• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Konosuba - 01

Yeah, this was actually a lot of fun. It's basically a parody of all the 'transported/reincarnated into fantasy world stories'. Some hilarious moments throughout it and it's refreshing to have an MC who clearly knows what's up.

It says something about a season where a lot of discussion goes to a show like Phantom World.

What else should people be talking about on a Wednesday? HaruChika? People talk about what is airing, especially at the beginning of a season, and stuff from KyoAni will always get more attention than it would otherwise.

Phatmac

thank you based Kyoani
1452707701625.jpg

Qurupeke

Talking about AOTS Phantom World, I googled the light novels and the sequel seems to be weird. No front-twintails-is-the-devil levels of weird but still I was surprised. It's like a different series.

I'll spoiler it just in case, but cover looks like this:

Cornbread78

What else should people be talking about on a Wednesday? HaruChika? People talk about what is airing, especially at the beginning of a season, and stuff from KyoAni will always get more attention than it would otherwise.

Konosuba - 01

Yeah, this was actually a lot of fun. It's basically a parody of all the 'transported/reincarnated into fantasy world stories'. Some hilarious moments throughout it and it's refreshing to have an MC who clearly knows what's up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170038

They can talk about that fun show Ascheroth just watched.

Squalor

Hey, last season we discussed high quality stuff.

Like Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid and The Testament of Sister New Devil BURST.

To be honest though, there's just nothing this season that interests me. There's a real dearth of action anime this season. (Outside of maybe Dimension W?)
What are you talking about?

You've got Boring Raid, Shit Art Online of the Season, Divinely Bland Gate, Ass Classroom 2, Norn9guys3girls1cup, and Undefeated Bahamut Crapicle.

I did enjoy the first episode of Dimension W. It could be good.

Ascheroth

Talking about AOTS Phantom World, I googled the light novels and the sequel seems to be weird. No front-twintails-is-the-devil levels of weird but still I was surprised. It's like a different series.

I'll spoiler it just in case, but cover looks like this:

You know, that actually made me instantly more interested. Is this adapting both novels or only the first?

What are you talking about?

You've got Boring Raid, Shit Art Online of the Season, Divinely Bland Gate, Ass Classroom 2, Norn9guys3girls1cup, and Undefeated Bahamut Crapicle.

I did enjoy the first episode of Dimension W. It could be good.

Assassination classroom is awesome. It's also more of a comedy than an action series

It says something about a season where a lot of discussion goes to a show like Phantom World.

What a time to be alive.

It's insane, it's almost as if only a few good shows come out each season and among those shows only a few come out at certain times during certain days of the week. Sure says a lot.

It's insane, it's almost as if only a few good shows come out each season and among those shows only a few come out at certain times during certain days of the week. Sure says a lot.

It was a joke. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Especially over a shitty show like Phantom World.

It was a joke. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Especially over a shitty show like Phantom World.

It was just a dumb thing to say seriously. Making a comment on a season because people are talking about a show that literally just came out - regardless of quality - is silly.

But as a joke, I guess it's okay. Not sure how good of a joke it was though.

Squalor

It was just a dumb thing to say seriously. Making a comment on a season because people are talking about a show that literally just came out - regardless of quality - is silly.

But as a joke, I guess it's okay. Not sure how good of a joke it was though.
Either way, you took it way too seriously. Haha.

Tuck

Shirobako - END
Usually I don't write long posts for anything not called Avatar The Last Airbender, but I guess I'll make an exception for Shirobako.

Came away pleasantly surprised from Shirobako. I'm not huge on the MOE art style overall, which was a bit of a turn off at first, but it grew on me.

-I really liked the use of the teddy bear and the female pirate girl as a way to explain animation concepts, and Miyamori's inner thoughts, rather than just rely on internal monologging. This is one of several cases where Shirobako goes for a more inspired route that while might not have been necessary, added a lot to the overall production.

-Continuing from that point, the fact that Miyamori (And that female office manager with one eye covered by hair) are such horrible drivers was incredibly funny. Theres absolutely no reason for it, but it adds personality to the show. A similar thing can be said for the scene where the director finally confronts the author, in what was the closest this show got to a shonen action sequence. They could have gone for a very grounded-in-reality scene, but instead made it silly. In doing so, they made it memorable.

-The cast of characters was - overall - fantastic. So many colourful individuals that gave the show personality. Mowhak guy (Tauro, I think his name was) was a good time throughout, and the director stole pretty much every scene he was in. I liked how even side characters were developed, like Goth girl (Who had a great backstory, and far more personality than I gave her credit for at first). The editor in the second season was a great "Love to hate" kind of character. And the blond production assistant was fun to watch too. Oh and old animator guy!

-The subject matter for the show (Making anime) was far more entertaining than I thought it would be. It was really cool seeing all the different parts of production. My favourite bits were when they showed incomplete scenes as a work in progress.

-Good animation all around, and character designs too.

There were some things I didn't like.

-Miyamori was a good lead, but her lack of backbone even late in the series got annoying. Seeing her get nervous over even simple things started to grate, and the fact that she didn't tell off that asshole glasses guy (Who I will get to momentarily) was a missed opportunity. Great ending speech though.

-Asshole glasses guy. Fuck this guy. I understand what they wanted to do here (Show someone who was disillusioned by the whole anime making process) but I did not enjoy watching this character at all. He was all around unpleasant, and not in a "Love to hate" kind of way. One of the best scenes in the show is when that one animator told this fucker off. He does improve by the end, but is still a big dick. Wish he had gotten fired or did a personality 180 - sort of felt like this lacked resolution.

-The animator girl who for some reason can't speak. This was stupid. I don't know what they were thinking with this character. She was horrible, not at all fun to watch.

-The discussion on 3D was good, but I felt like it sort of lacked resolution and was never really brought up again. I am a bit biased here though as I don't particularly like CG in anime, and the show was really pushing for a "Well its the future so accept in" message. Felt like they missed some opportunities here. Like, ok its the future but is that a GOOD thing?

-The discussion on "Why do I make anime?" again felt a little half baked. There was a lot of "Well... I don't know, just cause." which I have to call bullshit on. If you're gonna bring that up as a topic, you need to do something with it. The subject was seemingly dropped for most of the second your only to show itself at the end.

-I missed the baker guy in the second cour :( At least he had cameos. Funny that he got skinny - a nice little detail.

-Blond production assistant's dad being sick felt irrelevant. Nothing really happens with it - she leaves for a few episodes and comes back. Sort of seemed like a plot point that went no where.

-Finally, the two shows they make are (A) a magical girls anime with a horrible art style and (B) an anime with cute, horribly designed girls flying CG airplanes. Neither appeals to me, and unfortunately that takes away from the show. Its hard for me to get attached to the struggles they were facing when I didn't really care about the product overall. One moment in particular stands out: when the director was mulling over the ending for the first show, only to come up with the most batshit stupid ending I've ever heard, somehow involving idol singing and horses. It's like... ok I want to connect with these characters trying to come up with a good ending for their show, but then they come up with this stupid ending that just devalues the whole struggle. I imagine someone who likes magical girls idol anime might feel differently about this.

So in all, I'm really happy I watched the show. It was a pleasant surprise and I feel like I have a better appreciation for the animation process now. Its not perfect, but it was a very enjoyable ride.

tl;dr Awesome show, great concept for a show, awesome characters (Except for 2), a few things I didn't like/ a few things felt a bit half baked, more plz.

Shirobako - END
Usually I don't write long posts for anything not called Avatar The Last Airbender, but I guess I'll make an exception for Shirobako.

Came away pleasantly surprised from Shirobako. I'm not huge on the MOE art style overall, which was a bit of a turn off at first, but it grew on me.

-I really liked the use of the teddy bear and the female pirate girl as a way to explain animation concepts, and Miyamori's inner thoughts, rather than just rely on internal monologging. This is one of several cases where Shirobako goes for a more inspired route that while might not have been necessary, added a lot to the overall production.

Exposition is one of the aspects I felt Shirobako did much better than Sore ga Seiyuu. It's hard to convey all that anime production information somewhat naturally and, while still on the nose here and there, it was very well done. Watching Sore ga Seiyuu I had several moments where I felt too much like watching a documentation.

There was one episode where Shirbako went way overboard with the puppet and bear explaining all kinds of processing, but other than that it was measured quite well.

-The animator girl who for some reason can't speak. This was stupid. I don't know what they were thinking with this character. She was horrible, not at all fun to watch.

Yeh she was the worst character for me. Too over the top with the shyness.

pbayne

Shirobako - END

(snip)

This post is like a shining light in the middle of all this LN talk.

I liked the rotation of characters because it made the show's work environment feel very authentic. Agree with you though in that girl who couldn't talk. I get they wanted a cute character or whatever but it just kind broke the reality of the show, what company would ever hire someone like that?

I guess a lot of the problems you pointed out come from the show having too many characters making it possible to only narrowly focus on a few of them. Zuka has a great emotional pay-off in the end but I would liked to see more of her story and get a glimpse into the VA side of the industry.

In a theoretical season 2 I hope they branch out to explore the other girls a little more. Not that Aoi isn't a great main character.

P.S Yeah the two shows they make do awful don't they.

Squalor

When the anime you're watching opens with the lines “Pitter, patter, the rain starts to drop. While the water may fill up the hole on the road, it will never fill up the hole of one’s heart,” you know you're in for a bad time.
Did everyone already drop this already
Episode one might have had the most exposition ever, and yet it was somehow far from being the worst première episode of the season.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kumiko's hair looks like a chubby octopus I never noticed until now.

Harucika ep 02 is better than Phantom World ep 02.
But that's not saying much, and actually, DEEN(Konosuba) is better than PA and Kyoani in this season's Wednesday.

So is anyone going to check out that Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress show coming out in april by the AOT team? It is looking derivative of AOT but I liked how the characters looked and Tetsuro Araki hasn't bored me yet.

Qurupeke

So is anyone going to check out that Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress show coming out in april by the AOT team? It is looking derivative of AOT but I liked how the characters looked and Tetsuro Araki hasn't bored me yet.

Yeah, probably. It looks good enough and it will have its fair share of action. Not really hyped about it considering other stuff that is coming in Spring, but I'll watch it.

Jarmel

Banned
Konosuba-1

To my utter shock, this was one of the better episodes this season. You would think from the premise it would be the usual faux-fantasy tripe but they really play it up comedically and with enough insight into the usual tropes, that everything comes off as hilarious. For example the main character
dying of shock instead of being ran over or his thought process when his skills were being read out

There were also some really good directional effects such as the pause screen or the old school sound effects that play up the game atmosphere. The montage was sort of clever in that it was used for dual purposes in that it was showing the leads becoming closer but also done for comedic effect.

The biggest downside is the show kinda looks like shit, which I feel bad saying as there are some great reaction faces. The character designs just never feels particularly consistent and the art direction so far is lacking. It's not a really bad looking show but I can already tell the production is going to fall apart hard and it being Deen doesn't strike confidence.

Really good watch so far despite my super low expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom