• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erased 2
Ito's direction in this is surprising to me as I don't recall his work in SAO or the first season of Silver Spoon really standing out.

One of the things Active Raid needs is a catchy powerful theme for when they go into their missions and stuff. Like Gyrozetter, and other such shows with organization against evil baddies as pursuers of justice had one. So far no song in Active Raid stands out for it. Even when they wear their suits its just, toned down music or rather something not even memorable. :(

Jaxec

Ojisan and Marshmallow 02

Yeah this is still a pretty enjoyable short. Hmm marshmallow toast actually looks like something I would wanna try.

Active Raid 2

Still don't know what to think of this show. Not too into it at the moment, but hopefully it picks up. Also what's with the random English?

Cornbread78

Erased ep.2

bsk442P.gif

ERcXqOq.jpg

Oh wow, Is it bad to say I like the first two episodes better than anything else from this season or last season already? I mean, this was good; real good. The ambiance of the bg music, as well as the sound effects, plus the OP and ED are all top notch. I was surprised I even picked up on some of the subtle sybolism shown during the episode; especially at the one where they showed him taking that abnormally large step towards her in the park, as if to state he was fully commited to her welfare and his mission devoted to save her; great use of camera work there. They are doing a great job with this so far. Excellent, excellent, excellent..

pbayne

Dimension W: 1

This was probably my favorite first episode of the new season. Solid plot and I really like the setting. The character designs look really good too and personality wise they are interesting so far. Has a nice OP & ED too. Hope this turns out to be something special.

Yeah I wouldn't say it had the best first episode out of everything but its the one im most excited for to see what direction it goes in.

And im obsessed with Kyoma's dancing in the OP.

JulianImp

Watched up to episode seven of Say "I love you", and it's still being really great. It's kind of tragicomical that I can easily point out Mei's lack of confidence as one of her issues when I kind of have them myself... but I'll just leave it at that since this isn't the psychoanalysis OT.

Anyway, I love that the character's struggles feel more real than in most other romance shows I've watched. The only character that kind of confuses me is Yamato's ex, who warmed up to Mei a bit too fast for my taste, as she has become some kind of tough love big sister to the latter.

While there're several parts where I can see characters making obvious mistakes, such as Yamato (nearly) always giving girls what they want without understanding the full consequences of his actions (no, eating at a girl model's apartment after work without even telling your girlfriend is not okay), which is magnified by Mei's propensity to bottle up her feelings and say things are okay when she actually wanted Yamato to clear things up for the sake of their relationship.

Looking forward to finishing the series sometime, and I think kiribread should consider having it for a Let's Watch rather than whatever random trashy show gets suggested (Sunday Without God... never forget).

javac

I watched one episode of that marshmallow thing by accident. "Is that actually the name of the show?" Typed it in, girl looks cute, *click* 3 minutes later and it was over. "Is just an excerpt? No it was the whole thing, okay." And that's how I watched it by accident.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My wife just walked up to me, showed my a Myriad Colors gif and said "WTF is this?"

Qurupeke

I watched one episode of that marshmallow thing by accident. "Is that actually the name of the show?" Typed it in, girl looks cute, *click* 3 minutes later and it was over. "Is just an excerpt? No it was the whole thing, okay." And that's how I watched it by accident.

Yeah, it's really short even for a short.

Garo the Animation 7

This episode was as interesting as I was hoping from one written by Sadayuki Murai, with Leon losing a battle and finding himself in a surreal, dream-like state. The visuals unfortunately were clunky, both in the quality of the animation and in the framing of the storyboard. This would have been a perfect episode for Shigeyasu Yamauchi to come in and storyboard - the script already has a deliberately tenuous grasp on logic, and he could have given it a real stylistic flair. Still, the art design and the moody soundtrack helped make it atmospheric enough to keep me engaged.

Considering the next episode's title is "Full Monty", I suppose we will be learning why at the end of this episode German is naked in the streets? Should be fun.

pbayne

Watched up to episode seven of Say "I love you", and it's still being really great. It's kind of tragicomical that I can easily point out Mei's lack of confidence as one of her issues when I kind of have them myself... but I'll just leave it at that since this isn't the psychoanalysis OT.

Anyway, I love that the character's struggles feel more real than in most other romance shows I've watched. The only character that kind of confuses me is Yamato's ex, who warmed up to Mei a bit too fast for my taste, as she has become some kind of tough love big sister to the latter.

While there're several parts where I can see characters making obvious mistakes, such as Yamato (nearly) always giving girls what they want without understanding the full consequences of his actions (no, eating at a girl model's apartment after work without even telling your girlfriend is not okay), which is magnified by Mei's propensity to bottle up her feelings and say things are okay when she actually wanted Yamato to clear things up for the sake of their relationship.

Looking forward to finishing the series sometime, and I think kiribread should consider having it for a Let's Watch rather than whatever random trashy show gets suggested (Sunday Without God... never forget).

Yes after Kimi ni Todoke getting slaughtered in here at the moment im thankful someone has good things to say about a romance that I like.

It is a great shoujo to recommend to people that don't like shoujo tropes imo. The conflict and drama of the show feels very natural.

Plus Mei and Yamato are a ridiculously cute couple.

ragon

Yawara
mS9AXrO.png

This anime is pretty funny, also the story is interesting, Sport anime talking about Judo, and it's romantic comedy as well.

Didn't expect this from the mangaka of Monster.

Ojisan and Marshmellow 2

If this is just going to be the woman making the most unsubtle sexual innuendo ever and the man being painfully dense about it, I don't think I really want any more.

Just T

Yeah I wouldn't say it had the best first episode out of everything but its the one im most excited for to see what direction it goes in.

And im obsessed with Kyoma's dancing in the OP.
Yeah I've rewinded that part a few times myself lol.

Just T

Grimgar: 1

This was straight. There doesn’t seem like there are any over powered characters here so seeing them slowly improve together throughout the show might be worthwhile. Also the background art is stunning.

Dagashi Kashi - 01

Pretty charming and funny. Not laugh out loud funny, but I got a few smirks. As much as I expected having read the manga. Hotaru's quirky and energetic personality keeps me engaged.
I was a bit skeptical with the choice of her VA when first announced, but I think it turned out great after seeing it in action. I think they translated most of the art well enough, I especially like the eyes.
Showcasing and discussing the dagashi in the post credits is another element I enjoy. It's no Koufuku Graffiti, but it'll do! Looking forward to more!

pbayne

Back to the Steins Gate aka Erased 2

Still digging this so far but its kind of difficult to judge a show like this so soon.

I assume by the OP Satoru can
go back and forth between past and present?

javac

Great write up. You really nail all the points when it comes to Ping Pong being a masterpiece.
Glad to hear :)
You really shouldn't downplay your ability to write reviews, I love reading them and this one in particular was lovely and well-informed.

I really look up to your ability and passion to make these, thanks a lot for them!

PS: I hope you'll love Tatami Galaxy as much as Ping Pong. The underlying message of that show is something that really resonates with me.

You're too kind. It's hard to know if you're good at writing or not or if what you write even makes sense, at least I find that to be the case so I find the feedback great. In the end I do it for fun so I try not to stress over it and take my time. I find that the way I write becomes homogenized over time so I try to change it up as I go along.

Looking forward to Tatami Galaxy a lot, will post my impressions when they come!

Erased 2
Ito's direction in this is surprising to me as I don't recall his work in SAO or the first season of Silver Spoon really standing out.

Hah damn, I was about to say the very same thing.

For how bad the source material was in SAO I still seem to remember not being fond of the direction either.

This second episode of Erased was simply stellar. I really like where it's going and the direction is strong. Showing the physical abuse scene silently with nice silhouettes as Satoru is calmly telling himself how that must be for a child was quite poignant.

Erased 2

Ito's direction of Silver Spoon S1 episode 10 stood out, successfully depicting the pain of killing an animal you've spent time raising, but this is on a level beyond even that.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Great write up Javac!

You forgot the finger sucking part.

I knew i was forgetting something.

Myriad of phantom world 2

There's stretching, breast massage, and finger sucking.
Oh yeah, there also cute puppies with angel wing.
Animation is still nice to look at. There's a reuse of several scene from episode 1, probably to cut budget/ save time if they really want to keep the quality.

Oh yeah, there's useless trivia too. If you're the type that hate any refence mentioned to show author read a lot of books instead of using reference to enrich the story, you probably want to prepare yourself for that.

It still my fav. guiltwatch

Ascheroth

Oh right, I was so wowed by Erased that I forgot to include Active Raid impressions in the post, lol.

Active Raid - 02

Still entertaining and I'm curious where it's going. I'm probably in the minority here, but I like it. The 'initial setup' of Kagaris Willwear suit was hilarious with all those popups completely obstructing her view. Freaking bloatware.

Erased 2

This has such a cinematic flair to it, and not just because of the decision to use different aspect ratios to represent 1988 and 2006/fantasy sequences. (Perhaps inspired by Grand Budapest Hotel? There must be other examples of directors using aspect ratios to distinguish different time periods, but that's what leaps most readily to mind.) The direction is overflowing with creativity, from the reliance on unusual camera angles to sharp, clever scene transitions to effective color work that creates moods and draws the eye to important places on screen. As others have said, up to now Tomohiko Ito's directorial work has been mostly standard, competent but without much noteworthy, but here he's really gone into overdrive. I guess 10 years after serving under Hosoda as assistant director on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, he's finally decided to flex his muscles?

I was expecting Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu to easily take my favorite spot this season, but if Erased stays at this level throughout it'll likely surpass it.

Phatmac

Pretty damn good OP and ED. The episode itself was great with our MC trying to save Kayo from her death. It's a solid manga but the directing really makes it stand out as an anime. It's also really cute like this moment which melted my heart.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The worst thing about gifs if that most of them don't even need to be a gif. Why gif a camera pan? For one it doesn't loop well so you get this awful jump to the beginning effect and second what does it add that a still of the same scene doesn't? Ooooh, the camera moves. Better capture this amazing innovative and new technical feat that we've never witnessed in an anime before! And don't get me started on those who just gif a flappy mouth.

sasuke_91

Just watched Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! episode 1 and damn, the animation is so bad it hurts. The thumbnail on MyAnimeList looked nice so I thought I'd give it a shot. Didn't know the show was animated by Studio Deen...

Cornbread78

Pretty damn good OP and ED. The episode itself was great with our MC trying to save Kayo from her death.. It's also really cute like this moment which melted my heart.

I love the minor details of looking at the size difference in their hands, right there:
S8R8Wvk.gif

It's like you can feel her interest in bieing his friend right there and even trust after that conversation.

Outside of that moment, the first time he saw his mom and the scenes that followed were really well done as well. Great facials and emotional depiction of the boy seeing his mom
for the first time, even if it's back in time, he just saw her die in the future

K6rnyl0.gif

ukBPa6x.gif

Really good stuff.

Just watched Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! episode 1 and damn, the animation is so bad it hurts. The thumbnail on MyAnimeList looked nice so I thought I'd give it a shot. Didn't know the show was animated by Studio Deen...

The show itself was pretty damn funny though.

The worst thing about gifs if that most of them don't even need to be a gif. Why gif a camera pan? For one it doesn't loop well so you get this awful jump to the beginning effect and second what does it add that a still of the same scene doesn't? Ooooh, the camera moves. Better capture this amazing innovative and new technical feat that we've never witnessed in an anime before! And don't get me started on those who just gif a flappy mouth.

gifs that cut awkwardly should be reserved for hilarious shit. Like CG cars, and glorious nippon steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom