• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I see this list, but what outside of JoJo) stands above the rest?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2016/spring

*glances through shows, sees Shounen Maid*

"Chihiro is left homeless with supposedly no relatives after his mom died. As he worries about what to do next, his uncle shows up and plans to take care of him...Or is it the other way around?"

And the award for the most unnecessarily troubling plot synopsis goes tooooo....

phaze

Ghost Hound 19-22 END
014008r0jhj.jpg
Huh. I thought things were ramping up but as it turned out, the climax was fairly low-key. Even people who were killed didn't die ! Pretty much the most subdued story I've seen from Konaka, even despite having ghosts, gods, bio-experiments, murders, child kidnappings, industrial espionage as its ingredients.

At the moment, I'm rather meh on the ending. For a show that managed to keep things tense through some great direction and a sense of danger, this conclusion was surprisingly devoid of that. Ogami sect never felt particularly imposing but after being done in by Tarou's crossdressing and Deus Ex Machina landslide, they look like a joke. Their God didn't deign to make an appearance either, even after all that build up. This finish leaves quite a few things unresolved but even some of the plot threads that do get closure, left me disappointed with how vapid and wishy-washy the resolutions to them were. I'm talking in particular about the trifecta of parents-children relationship issues.The mending of Makoto's relationship with his mother feels to abrupt and wishy-washy, especially considering the hatred he had for her and the fact that it was brought up by a bizzare case of amnesia. Tarou's mothers betterment was awfully sudden and pretty much hidden from the viewer's gaze and Masayuki's parents seemingly loving reunion out of nowhere (I still have no clue what was wrong with the mother) completes this trilogy of unearned endings. (Could probably throw Miyako-priest there too.)

Then there is the case of Tarou's past kidnapping. What was pretty much the central mystery of the show throughout its first half is quickly swept away under a rug and is, deliberately, replaced with the "coming to terms with loss" theme. Which isn't bad in its own right but leaves quite a few questions about the truth of this kidnapping open. Questions that could have been dealt with without damaging that central message yet aren't. meh

Ghost Hound is certainly an unique and interesting show but with this disappointing ending, it's probably not something that will stuck with me or something that I'd willingly peddle to others

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 444
Kyon-kun denwa !

Of course the one filler episode I do check out is Sasuka running away from Konoha again.
0k4tkrdk2jig.png

The new ED is a dull Sauce-Itachifest urgh. DTL at least will be happy.

The Spring season is going to have a Ace Attorney anime, the second season of Concrete Revolutio, and an anime adapting some work from the guy who made Future Diary. Plus Jojo and Superheroes.

In other words, next season is already better than this one.

Also I'm not watching Naruto filler because FUCK THAT NOISE.

But the current filler arc is basically a retelling of the franchise right? Only one where Sasuke's parents weren't killed? But Sasuke is still a huge asshole?

...Then has anything really changed?

phaze

The Spring season is going to have a Ace Attorney anime,
shit
the second season of Concrete Revolutio,

shit
and an anime adapting some work from the guy who made Future Diary.
art
Plus Jojo
shit
and Superheroes.
shit
In other words, next season is already better than this one.

no

Joker Game looked pretty good though.

Also I'm not watching Naruto filler because FUCK THAT NOISE.

But the current filler arc is basically a retelling of the franchise right? Only one where Sasuke's parents weren't killed? But Sasuke is still a huge asshole?
...Then has anything really changed?
He did it after a timeskip not before it.

lol

Naruto is STILL running? I thought it was over. Just the manga for now I guess?

Kimi ni Todoke - 05

Getting less fond of this by the minute. I don't like how everything in this show is centered solely around Sawako as that negates the impression that this would be a believable school setting where every character lives his/her own life first and foremost. Every single scene either involves Sawako herself or has other characters thinking, talking or otherwise alluding to her. It's as though everyone's life gravitates around her, which also contrasts the idea that she was basically shunned up until now. All this gives the show a very unambitious, tiny scope that encompasses only one character really. It's kinda ironic when some of the characters even point out "duh, it's like we're only thinking about her now!"

Sawako at least made up with Shouta this episode but even here the dialogue feels less and less natural. I'm not liking that Shouta is one of those flawless pretty boys that bends over backwards for her but at the same time can't confess his love so that we might see how Sawako does in an actual relationship, which could be potentially interesting. But yeh, having these two flawless people at the center is inherently less interesting, especially since they appear stuck in the same situation since season 1 when that shouldn't be the case after all the moments they've shared.

At this point I'm mostly loving the chibi-esque moments when Sawako has the funniest faces. I'm giving it one more episode but the drop is inevitable at this point.

Clov

Glad that Marnie got the nomination. It won't win, though.I wonder if Anomalasia actually stands a chance? I've heard it's quite good, but the academy will likely just vote for Disney/Pixar without caring, once again.

Glad that Marnie got the nomination. It won't win, though.I wonder if Anomalasia actually stands a chance? I've heard it's quite good, but the academy will likely just vote for Disney/Pixar without caring, once again.

Inside Out will win, since it'll be the only one most of the votors have heard of.

Cornbread78

Everyone just keep talking about how unbelievably amazing next season is, but

I see:

- Asterix
- Hero Academia (I know nothing about it, other than you guys all say it's gonna be great)
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (more time travel, but sounds like it could be interesting
- Mayoiga (Sounds very interesting)

I mean, there's a couple more LN trash shows mixed in there like Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? and Hundred that I'll probably watch, but.....

pbayne

Naruto is STILL running? I thought it was over. Just the manga for now I guess?

Kimi ni Todoke - 05

(cut)

Aw disapointed you don't like, though I can't imagine anything i say or the the show does will change your mind on it. At least you gave an honest try.

Id agree somewhat that Sadoka is, apart form being naive, almost impossibly perfect. Later Shouta is not so much when you learn more about him. Its the same problem I have with Shirayuki atm, the two leads are so immensely perfect theres no real spark or conflict in the relationship.

Anyways..

Love Live Movie

Ill miss this a lot. Great send-off all around. Always impressed by how energy Sunrise brings to it. Give whoever is in charge of the characters fashion a bonus, so many cute outfits.

I hope the new series does well. I mean it most likely will but its still a risk for Sunrise to push another series so soon. I mean look at Kyoani who are still coasting off of K-On despite the fact they have the material to and could have easily made another sequel by now.

Everyone just keep talking about how unbelievably amazing next season is, but

I see:

- Asterix
- Hero Academia (I know nothing about it, other than you guys all say it's gonna be great)
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (more time travel, but sounds like it could be interesting
- Mayoiga (Sounds very interesting)

I mean, there's a couple more LN trash shows mixed in there like Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? and Hundred that I'll probably watch, but.....

Hero Academia is just mediocre/decent nothing great about it. Its the same generic battle shonen you see. Heck even compared to most there isn't anything wow about it. It plays it way too safe.

So if I were you I wouldn't listen to the people that say its great. Plus by judging your taste I doubt you would like it.

Kansoku

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but always forget. Will Kizu be on theaters only (aka people outside Japan and US will kave to wait for DVD/BR) or will it get streaming as well?

I think I might be of the opinion that swagamoto won't make a good Anime simply because so much of the humor is perfect comedic timing you would only get in written form. But then again I also thought one punch man wouldn't work and, even though some in here still think it didn't, it ended up working for me. So bring it on excited to at the very least see what the Anime brings.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Swagamoto will probably be a shorts form anime so I'm not worried about comedic timing as long as they keep it tight and don't draw out the jokes to fill airtime (like One Punch Man does on occasion).

Cornbread78

There's going to be an anime version of Asterix!?
The sky is falling!

2nd cour ya goof.

Hero Academia is just mediocre/decent nothing great about it. Its the same generic battle shonen you see. Heck even compared to most there isn't anything wow about it. It plays it way too safe.

So if I were you I wouldn't listen to the people that say its great. Plus by judging your taste I doubt you would like it.

Yeah, I have like little to zero interest in classic shounen anime like Ushio and Toro, etc. I mean, Asterix and Calvary were fun for the most part, so I would watch it if it is more like those two. Which camp is it closer to?

Clov

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but always forget. Will Kizu be on theaters only (aka people outside Japan and US will kave to wait for DVD/BR) or will it get streaming as well?

As far as we know, all parts of Kizu will be in theaters first, and will hit streaming/home video later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom