• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst thing about gifs if that most of them don't even need to be a gif. Why gif a camera pan? For one it doesn't loop well so you get this awful jump to the beginning effect and second what does it add that a still of the same scene doesn't? Ooooh, the camera moves. Better capture this amazing innovative and new technical feat that we've never witnessed in an anime before! And don't get me started on those who just gif a flappy mouth.

The thing I hate the most about gifs is when they've got a filter smeared on them that makes them look worse than the actual show.

Phatmac

The class built some giant pudding thinking it'd be a good way to kill their teacher but as always it ends in failure. Second part had a quick Cops & Robbers segment with a nice reveal that moved the plot so next week will be action packed. That foreshadowing though.
1452796569500.png

Mailbox

Erased 2

Soooooo good!

I've been wanting a serious anime like this since Death Parade last year.

It feels so refreshing having something like this.

:'3

Eridani

Erased 2

What I really liked about this, apart from the obviously great direction, was the was the protagonist reminisced about his time as a child. It made him feel a lot more human and relate-able than a lot of anime protagonists.

Also on a somewhat unrelated note - can someone explain what the deal is with CG cars in anime? I believe the episode had one, as did Dimension W and a lot of other shows I watched, and I don't understand it. I mean, I'd imagine cars would be pretty easy to animate using normal animation and yet CG cars keep popping up.

Kono Subarashii 01

The idea of making a kind of parody of lost-in-MMO/RPG stories is good, given the abundance of this type of anime in the last year, and the twist of him dragging the goddess with her was ok.

But you can't live of good intentions. This wasn't good. It's a ugly series to look at lots of times, the sound editing and music are forgettable, the fanservice is horrible (man, I remember the times where yeah, there was fanservice in anime, but it was super brief moments, now it's like 20% of the footage), the direction is mediocre, and even more importantly, as a comedy series it fails because most of the jokes fell flat
(though the final one, with them working and living a normal life and then remembering they were supposed to be adventurers was amusing).

Erased 2

I'm happy to be wrong, as this episode shows how the series it's better than something "slightly above average". A strong hand in the direction and good characterization of children without falling into unrealistic portrayals, while teasing future developments wins the day.

3Kaze

The Boy and the Beast

Started off well but jumped the shark midway, except it was a whale in this case. It wasn't well written at all.
CG crowds and effects were pretty awful as well, and there were a lot of them. Disapointing after Wold Children, it really is the worst Hosoda movie.

Ojisan to Marshmallow 2

The guy on the phone's perverted face was amazing, loving this show. The short format makes it work though, this would crash and burn if it was 20 minutes of dense main character not getting that the cute coworker wants him.

JulianImp

Yes after Kimi ni Todoke getting slaughtered in here at the moment im thankful someone has good things to say about a romance that I like.

It is a great shoujo to recommend to people that don't like shoujo tropes imo. The conflict and drama of the show feels very natural.

Plus Mei and Yamato are a ridiculously cute couple.

I'm mostly interested in shows that focus on character development, so I guess romance works for me as long as the show isn't a romcom (slapstick comedy and abrupt tone changes really sour me on shows). It's probably the same reason I'm enjoying Gundam:IBO even though I never cared that much about giant mechas, but well-handled storytelling that explores and develops its cast is something I love seeing in shows. That's the reason why I often praise series such as Monogatari, Kokoro Connect, Moryou no Hako, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Space Brothers, Shirobako, Baccano, Higurashi and Non Non Biyori (as well as Humanity Has Declined as an outlier), and why I was really happy to find Say "I love you" thanks to this thread.

Then again, that doesn't mean I can't bring myself to enjoy "simpler" shows such as JoJo, KLK, Nozaki-kun or even To Love Ru, but I often feel I've got to be in a particular mood in order to actually enjoy them. Oddly enough, the same happens to me with Mushi-shi, which I just can't bring myself to enjoy at times despite regarding it highly.

I guess I'm fine with any genre as long as it's well-done and doesn't give me too many mixed signals of what it wants to do with its plot and characters. Having recently branched into romance with this show and mecha shows with IBO, I'd really like to get more recommendations for stuff I might be missing out on simply due to how I tend to overlook particular genres, with sports shows as a prime example.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just watched Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! episode 1 and damn, the animation is so bad it hurts. The thumbnail on MyAnimeList looked nice so I thought I'd give it a shot. Didn't know the show was animated by Studio Deen...
The first episode was actually fairly well animated though.

I guess I'm fine with any genre as long as it's well-done and doesn't give me too many mixed signals of what it wants to do with its plot and characters. Having recently branched into romance with this show and mecha shows with IBO, I'd really like to get more recommendations for stuff I might be missing out on simply due to how I tend to overlook particular genres, with sports shows as a prime example.

Anything in particular besides sports shows you're looking for? I'm not an expert on that front, but I can at least recommend Haikyuu and Yowamushi Pedal as worth investigating (I'm assuming you've already seen Yuasa's Ping Pong). Haikyuu in particular should satisfy you on the character front.

Quasar

Yes after Kimi ni Todoke getting slaughtered in here at the moment im thankful someone has good things to say about a romance that I like.

It is a great shoujo to recommend to people that don't like shoujo tropes imo. The conflict and drama of the show feels very natural.

Yeah. I liked it to, but really I like a lot of these kinds of things. Loved both Kimi ni Todoke and Love Complex for instance (though the guy in the latter was maddening). Was interesting to see Kimi disliked...I'd not seen that before.

I'm mostly interested in shows that focus on character development, so I guess romance works for me as long as the show isn't a romcom (slapstick comedy and abrupt tone changes really sour me on shows). It's probably the same reason I'm enjoying Gundam:IBO even though I never cared that much about giant mechas, but well-handled storytelling that explores and develops its cast is something I love seeing in shows. That's the reason why I often praise series such as Monogatari, Kokoro Connect, Moryou no Hako, Cowboy Bebop, Paranoia Agent, Space Brothers, Shirobako, Baccano, Higurashi and Non Non Biyori (as well as Humanity Has Declined as an outlier), and why I was really happy to find Say "I love you" thanks to this thread.

Then again, that doesn't mean I can't bring myself to enjoy "simpler" shows such as JoJo, KLK, Nozaki-kun or even To Love Ru, but I often feel I've got to be in a particular mood in order to actually enjoy them. Oddly enough, the same happens to me with Mushi-shi, which I just can't bring myself to enjoy at times despite regarding it highly.

Please watch Haikyuu!! and Ace of Diamond.

Puruzi

Banned

Watch Haikyuu and Yowapeda

Peach Girl, it's so good but so frustrating cuz Sae is such a hoebag.
I will check this out

The Boy and the Beast

Started off well but jumped the shark midway, except it was a whale in this case. It wasn't well written at all.
CG crowds and effects were pretty awful as well, and there were a lot of them. Disapointing after Wold Children, it really is the worst Hosoda movie.

Dang. Disappointing to hear.

pbayne

I guess Hajime ni Ippo is the de facto recommendation for a well thought out character driven sports series. Ping Pong which someone just did a really great write-up on is also fantastic

Welcome to the N.H.K is a show i can't recommend enough. Itll run you through the complete gauntlet of emotions.

Since you liked non non biyori maybe try barakamon, usagi drop or azumanga diaoh.

Erased 02

Unlike the title, my hopes for the show remain firm. Fantastic second episode, and honestly the show being based off a socially inept/introvert kid trying his hardest to pretend to be extroverted hits home as that's the story of my life haha. Even if it remains in the children years I'll love the shit out of it tbh, the mood dialogue and narration by the lead has been on point. Guy's first voice acting role right? He's doing a phenomenal job.

Phatmac

Nothing about this is bad in general but the lack of compelling characters or plot have made me drop it. Besides the music nothing has really grabbed me about this show. Also, the Engrish isn't cute at all and made it the last straw for me.

Erased 02

Unlike the title, my hopes for the show remain firm. Fantastic second episode, and honestly the show being based off a socially inept/introvert kid trying his hardest to pretend to be extroverted hits home as that's the story of my life haha. Even if it remains in the children years I'll love the shit out of it tbh, the mood dialogue and narration by the lead has been on point. Guy's first voice acting role right? He's doing a phenomenal job.

He's done Live Action from what I hear which is why his voice is so fresh. It's probably why his voice doesn't sound like the usual over the top anime voice you hear in a lot of anime. He's probably putting his experience with Live Action into the voice acting.

Erased 02

The voice actor for 29 year old Satoru has not done any anime work before, but is a veteran actor in live action TV dramas and film. Just as with the heroine of Mysterious Girlfriend X, it's easy to tell he doesn't come from the world of anime voice acting, as his acting is not as stylized.

He's done Live Action from what I hear which is why his voice is so fresh. It's probably why his voice doesn't sound like the usual over the top anime voice you hear in a lot of anime. He's probably putting his experience with Live Action into the voice acting.

The voice actor for 29 year old Satoru has not done any anime work before, but is a veteran actor in live action TV dramas and film. Just as with the heroine of Mysterious Girlfriend X, it's easy to tell he doesn't come from the world of anime voice acting, as his acting is not as stylized.

it's doing wonders, refreshing as fuck for sure.

Phatmac

Can't believe I'm saying this but DEEN has actually made a show that made me laugh. I'm glad there's a show that'll parody SAO and these other MMO shows since its been needed for a while now. I'm glad we have our heroes act like dicks and be mean to each other in a comedic way. There were tons of great moments like how our MC pissed himself to death or the montage at the end. It's an ugly show overall but the VA's and writing made it great. One of my favorite episodes of the season.

Their is a really slick match cut in Erased, where they talk about getting Satoru and Kayo to meet and he gets shoved into the next scene. Does anyone have a gif of that? I'd make one myself but I'm at work.

Wanted to check that out, too! Hope I like that one, at least. Well, haven't continued Lovely Complex, yet. That one is still running strong after 3 episodes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The manga will end with the mangaka character's manga ending because the ending of his manga is the ending to the manga because his manga was the manga so it was a manga all along.

JCG

Active Raid - 2

This was a more straightforward Tokusatsu-style episodic plot and they did start to focus a little more on establishing one or two characters as individuals, aside from the silly jokes. That's not a bad idea since the cast needs it. There were still a few mildly amusing gags to go around, so no changes on that front. Storyboards and general animation quality took a hit, but I felt the pacing and narrative structure were better. The battle in the second half had a couple of nice 3D action moments thanks to Orange, though the stakes continue to be fairly low. It's still probably too lighthearted and relaxed for those who either want a more over-the-top comedy or something more substantial.

So I'm guessing the Ghibli Movie "When Marnie Was There" won't win this year but Inside Out will....

Why are the Academy Awards a joke? Seriously Spirited Away lucked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom