• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One other thing worth noting about Erased is how small the animation credits for each episode have been. Only 1 animation director for each episode, and 9 key animators on the first with 10 key animators on the second. That's pretty unusual for anime these days - the only time you really see credits that small is on KyoAni productions (which can be smaller still). Of course we don't know how future episodes will pan out, but this combined with the unusually high level of polish seen in the production indicates that it must have had a longer time in production than average. So I would expect the production values of the show to remain consistent throughout, especially as it's only 12 episodes.

So I'm guessing the Ghibli Movie "When Marnie Was There" won't win this year but Inside Out will....

Why are the Academy Awards a joke? Seriously Spirited Away lucked out.

The Oscars are rough even beyond animation, but animation especially suffers as people who vote for them don't take the medium seriously.

It's kinda funny that west people love Erased MC's VA acting while Japan hate it so much, and both love and hate due to same reason-sounds "normal".

Oh, Japanese anime fans are upset about Mitsushima's voice acting? I'm not surprised; it's very much not what anime viewers are accustomed to hearing. I think you can distinguish between this style of acting that live action actors bring to the table and the genuinely poor acting that happens when you do things like bring in random idols to the cast.

It's kinda funny that west people love Erased MC's VA acting while Japan hate it so much, and both love and hate due to same reason-sounds "normal".

I don't understand how anyone can hate MC's voice because it sounds too normal. I mean if his voice were to be over dramatic/stylized like for example Yuki Kaji, this shows atmosphere would be ruined. His voice truly sounds like a introverted individual.

That's one of the many problems that some anime have when they try to be serious.

So I'm guessing the Ghibli Movie "When Marnie Was There" won't win this year but Inside Out will....

Why are the Academy Awards a joke? Seriously Spirited Away lucked out.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-se...ters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

One other thing worth noting about Erased is how small the animation credits for each episode have been. Only 1 animation director for each episode, and 9 key animators on the first with 10 key animators on the second. That's pretty unusual for anime these days - the only time you really see credits that small is on KyoAni productions (which can be smaller still). Of course we don't know how future episodes will pan out, but this combined with the unusually high level of polish seen in the production indicates that it must have had a longer time in production than average. So I would expect the production values of the show to remain consistent throughout, especially as it's only 12 episodes.

thanks for the insight, looking forward to it if true.

Nightii

Banned
Hmmm....Flowers of Evil is interesting for sure, only two episodes in, the art style still feels odd, but I can deal with it, will continue to watch.

And to be honest, the gifs and what you guys are saying makes me feel like Erased might just be what I was looking for. It's not romance, but it seemingly has the details that hooked me (badly) on MGX.

Nightii

Banned
It's like the old sayings says, 'When life gives you lemons lick some drool found off a desk.'

It's probably the one thing that throws me off about the whole story, as dumb as it sounds.

Everything more or less makes sense within the context and rules of the show, but just why did he lick the drool on the desk without a second thought? lol

e_i

XOSf0UE.png

Quasar

to be fair with his comment, all of those came before the princess and the frog so you aren't exactly disproving his point lol

Well I never saw BH6 as the trailers turned me off, but I did like both Tangled and Frozen. Even Princess I enjoyed...but that might be just because of the animation style (to the point I saw it in the theatre just to support non-3D animation).

Well I never saw BH6 as the trailers turned me off, but I did like both Tangled and Frozen. Even Princess I enjoyed...but that might be just because of the animation style (to the point I saw it in the theatre just to support non-3D animation).

Tangled is arguably the best film out of the disney animated studio to date. I mean Wreck It Ralph is fun and all, but Tangled is the only one I could hold up there with the rest of the classics.

Frozen is a cold wasteland of catchy songs with a nice message I guess, don't
rush into marriage
?

Quasar

Got my very first package from RightStuff (I grabbed a couple of things in the sale). Have to say wow, they package stuff good. Much better than what other retailers (like Amazon) do. Actually custom made heavily padded disc boxes.

Tangled is arguably the best film out of the disney animated studio to date. I mean Wreck It Ralph is fun and all, but Tangled is the only one I could hold up there with the rest of the classics.

Frozen is a cold wasteland of catchy songs with a nice message I guess, don't
rush into marriage
?

Tangled also had better songs than Frozen.

I think Tangled is the best modern Disney movie.

The princess and the frog is okay too.
But I didn't like how they wrote Lawrence.
How the Prince treated Lawrence made him seem like a real asshole.

Erased

I really like this detail I noticed when doing some research. When Satoru jumps back in time, the day he ends up on is February 15, 1988.

On that day, right before he ditches school to run home, he overhears the following conversation between two of his male classmates:

kwMCngA.jpg

BOY B: Level 15!
BOY A: That's all?!
BOY B: Just kidding. Really level 25.
BOY A: Liar!

Dragon Quest III released in Japan on February 10, 1988. It's very believable that Japanese schoolchildren would be discussing the hot new game that just came out five days ago, eagerly comparing their progress to show which of them was better at games. Using a real-world time reference in this way adds authenticity to the show. I'd like to know if this exchange derives from the manga or if Kishimoto added it in.

Just T

Luck and Logic- 1

Meh, nothing stood out, at least nothing that’s worthwhile.

Koyomimonogatari- 1

Nothing special but it will be just a bunch of short stories so nothing too grand is expected for the most part.

Small details in Erased

I'm writing an article elsewhere on this one as I think it shows a lot of promise, more so than anything I've seen in a while (Dimension W has a lot of potential as well, but more as a breakthrough to the West than a piece of art), but there were a few details I noticed that I really wanted to point out because they were pretty damn cool.

First up, the match cuts and graphic matches are beautiful. There aren't many directors who make use of them and the only one whose style was really defined by these types of edits was Satoshi Kon, a name I'm sure everyone is more than familiar with. So to see them used so effectively gives me a lot of hope that our dear Tomohiko Ito has actually been a diamond in the rough this whole time.

Along those same lines, the symbolism in this is off the charts and while I'd love nothing more than to write paragraph after paragraph on this very subject, I really want to do a standalone article when the entire series wraps up. Look forward to it! Or.. you know, don't. In particular though, the scene that stood out to me the most must be...

This scene is absolutely perfect. The tree provides a dividing line in the frame, separating Satoru and Kayo. Only when they can be honest with each other is that divide crossed - Satoru being the one closing the distance both physically and emotionally - and we see that they are now together on the same side of the frame. I'll say it over and over - this shot is a masterpiece, especially when rendered so beautifully.

Like I said, there is a lot more I'd like to talk about but I won't (the quality of animation being one of these things). Those two I just couldn't leave out. Oh! The usage of cars to set tension and motion in the scenes was really cool too. It happened twice in this episode, so I'm hoping we keep seeing it going on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erased Episode 2:

I am in agreement with the other people here, this has been a really good an absorbing tale so far. I also see that right now Erased isn't getting bogged down by the
minutiae of time travel rules which is good because that shit is tedious and usually takes like 10 minutes to explain to the audience.
Also is was refreshing to have children talking like children and about things children talk about because I remember those video game conversations in elementary school. Granted they were different games but the process was still the same just replace Dragon Quest with Zelda.

Erased 02

OP is awesome.

I love this show. I legit got goosebumps at some points. I also loved how whenever he wasn't "pretending" you would hear his adult inner voice at the same time as his own voice as a kid. I can't wait to see the next episode.

Haikyuu!! Season 1 Ep. 24

My God that was utterly fantastic. That post credits scene too. Wow.

I thought they would have plot armor but they didnt! They actually lost! Damn that was shocking and got me emotional.

I love sports anime. Best damn genre.

Haikyuu!! Season 1 Ep. 24

My God that was utterly fantastic. That post credits scene too. Wow.

I thought they would have plot armor but they didnt! They actually lost! Damn that was shocking and got me emotional.

I love sports anime. Best damn genre.

plot armor in sports? I thought the standard is that a sports team in a sports anime loses their first tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom