• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
how come nobody ever gif spams good shows

xxK6P3z.gif

UyAspir.gif

f0euqaB.gif

NXYYb5F.gif

qj11J2q.gif

I6DZqid.gif

G2rfZgI.gif

fgQnPIT.gif

You would actually recommend Big Bang Theory to people? Thats cruel. Its as bad as 2Broke for worst comedy on tv.
If they only watch two and a half men and 2 broke girls and my wife and kids, sure why not. Clearly they enjoy that. I mean there was a point early on I enjoyed it.

Though of course if I could have my way in that recommendation of laugh track sitcoms I'd go with the IT Crowd.

The hell is wrong with suggesting Clannad? Or SAO for that matter? People have different tastes and opinions. If someone wants a romance/drama/slice of life show I am going to recommend Clannad among many other shows.

You may think they're bad, but that does not make the opinion of someone asking for something they haven't seen before. If you're that passionate about it then recommend people other shows when they ask, instead of demeaning what other people like.

It's really best not to respond to him when he says stuff like that.

This is a guy who unironically described everybody who liked Fate/Zero as "bro-takus" who don't care about actual writing qualities.

It's a good thing he has me on ignore because I lost my shit when he said that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where is this from?

5cm per second never fails to grab someone's attention.

I've lost track of how many people I've swindled into watching 5cm per second with a gif or a still.

Qurupeke

I dont understand why one would take that to heart. Did your hard earned money go into personally funding the anime of choice? Are you on the staff of the show? Are you getting kickbacks from the anime company based on how many posts on the anime are made? I dont understand why you would feel like youre being attacked for wanted to like and talk about something you watched.

I dont ever remember a time where I felt that way about the bufei load of anime that I love that other people here dont like or constantly and consistently try to get people to not watch or discuss, just this season, there is handshakers. But Im not gnashing my teeth and fleeing when people posted in post header titles about being glad there is no discussion of this seasons best kept secret.!!!1 S

Man, sometimes I actually wonder if your posts are part of an elaborate prank and you're just trolling. 🙄

On the other hand, I can't fathom that you're that dedicated on a "persona" and probably you're just passionate about different stuff than the majority...

I'm not watching the direct and I can't find screens, how do you make it more anime than Awakening/Fates? Did they take a page from Falcom and made it about high school idols?

im being facetious, just the mobile game is like gbf/fgo and has more "anime" art, which I could have told you when the said they were making a mobile fe game thats what it was going to be

It's really best not to respond to him when he says stuff like that.

This is a guy who unironically described everybody who liked Fate/Zero as "bro-takus" who don't care about actual writing qualities.

It's a good thing he has me on ignore because I lost my shit when he said that.

I've been gone for too long. I don't know the dynamics of this community anymore.

Cornbread78

Man, sometimes I actually wonder if your posts are part of an elaborate prank and you're just trolling. 🙄

On the other hand, I can't fathom that you're that dedicated on a "persona" and probably you're just passionate about different stuff than the majority...

He's just DTL?!?!...

Not really, the birth of what people identify as 'anime' Fire Emblem games started with Awakening.

I guess and I mean I can somewhat agree, but saying that suddenly FE is more ANIME then before seems...I don't know, wrong to me? FE changes with the times and I can get why some people don't like the new look. PoR and RD had the best anime design.

Not really, the birth of what people identify as 'anime' Fire Emblem games started with Awakening.

Those people are wrong and dumb because the first game that came out in 1990's official art looks like this

55524-Fire_Emblem_(Japan)-1.jpg

but I guess anything that came out before K-ON doesn't count

Cornbread78

He's just DTL?!?!...

I tried to give Akiba's Trip a chance, but theres nothing redeeming I can even say about it.

You're definitely right, but it is fun.

Quasar

Why does SAO need more attention? Why should we direct more people towards it? There are tons of good shows out there that get overshadowed because of it. I'd rather see more people recommending lesser known good shows instead of just linking them to what's at the top of MAL.

Well I'm not sure that's my job. If anything its to name things I think the person would like. Of course with a title like SAO one would think that even the most casual anime watcher who had an interest in fantasy shows would know of it so aside from newbies I probably don't need to recommend that (so I'd recommend Log Horizon and Grimgar instead).

The same is true of say Star Wars or Lord of the Rings I guess. I'd think I wouldn't need to recommend them, but then I still occasionally run into people who haven't seen a Star Wars film.

TUSR

Banned
I guess and I mean I can somewhat agree, but saying that suddenly FE is more ANIME then before seems...I don't know, wrong to me? FE changes with the times and I can get why some people don't like the new look. PoR and RD had the best anime design.

I completely misworded my first response, it was supposed to be agreeing sarcasm.

Those people are wrong and dumb because the first game that came out in 1990's official art looks like this

55524-Fire_Emblem_(Japan)-1.jpg

Before Awakening and Fates, which game had the most exposure on the Western market? Outside of Smash games with cameos of Marth, and Roy.

Before Awakening and Fates, which game had the most exposure on the Western market? Outside of Smash games with cameos of Marth, and Roy.

Well before FE7 Fire Emblem was virtually unknown in the west until Marth and Roy in Melee. It got pretty popular on the GBA, began to peter out in the Wii/DS era (not just in the West) and then re-exploded with Awakening/Fates in all regions. FE is more popular then its ever been now.

But those games were always "anime" both in art style and writing. Each game has pretty much the same plot where you are from the small kingdom and you fight the evil empire, except within that empire is the evil wizard who summons the bad dragon/god man. Its bog standard stuff. no matter how popular the games get they wont evolve out of that.

jgminto

In old threads people would do a group backlog watch on slow seasons, maybe that should be brought back. That's how I ended up watching Wandering Son.

Jex

I honestly cannot tell if Cat and Dog are seriously having a beef over some underlying AnimeGAF drama, or if they're just taking the rest of us for a ride by carrying on some charade.... like seriously...

It seems pretty serious to me.

Good on Narag for calling out patterns of behaviour that he feels are negatively impacting the thread/community. He clearly wants to promote a better community overall and sometimes doing that requires taking people to task over certain issues. This goes beyond whether people have done something overt like broken the rules of the forum and instead deals with more nuanced matters.

I don't encourage randomly taking people to task over every little personal gripe in a bitchy manner, that rarely leads to any good outcomes. However, you can criticise someone in a well reasoned manner that hopefully leads to a more reasonable discussion. Woofington, for his part, has responded reasonably and at length to Narag's comments, so good on him for taking that on.

Also, I don't think that everyone needs to rush in to 'calm' people down if there's something actually objectionable going on in the thread. I don't enjoy engaging in conflict with others, but sometimes it has to be done.

This isn't really about Woofington and Narag though. Their dialogue is emblematic of wider issues in the community as a whole and that is one of thread leadership/domination.

I think it stands to reason that in any community on the internet, in the absence of extremely vigorous moderation, a power vacuum will eventually appear. Someone will appear with more time or interest or dedication than everyone else and their voice/voices, if unchecked, will eventually become a defining factor of that community. This is problematic for a variety of reasons:

1) Such figures generally tend to narrow the field of discussion by bringing an exaggerated focus to their personal interests.

2) This, in turn, attracts more people like them to the discussion, further reducing the variety of opinions in the community.

3) When a singular voice dominates, people who have differing approaches/interests tend be put-off from engaging in the community. This is especially true when someone is playing some kind of 'character'.

4) Now, nearly everyone puts on some kind of personality when posting online - we all play a certain characters, wear certain masks for certain people etc.

The problem is that these 'dominating' figures in the thread tend to have a very exaggerated character that appears to be formed simply to garner attention and generate more interest in their own posts. Many people find the artificiality of this to be at best, tiresome and at worst obnoxious.

4) When someone dominates in terms of sheer force of post count they're generally watering down the signal to noise ration of useful commentary in the thread because their spamming a bunch of filler 'noise' into the thread. This means that the thread becomes less readable because its filled with fluff (not so much a problem at the moment, but it was emblematic of the Cajun era).

It's not really interesting to read a thread where a couple of people make up most of the posts because, by definition, it's harder to see the other opinions that come from other 99% of people who post in the thread.

So, in short, it's nearly always interesting to see a variety of people with interesting opinions post just a bit, then to see or two people swamp a thread with their content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom