• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a proper explanation. Why do they aim to go for a lower fps to emulate anime when it has NEVER looked particularly good? Who in here wouldn't be really into a smooth CG Berserk with quality CG models and animation?

Pixar's Berserk. 4 Kids.

What kind of proper explanation are you looking for? Presumably those animators making limited framerate CG animation and the directors instructing them to do so, such as the work of people at Sanzigen or Khara, do think it looks good.

What kind of proper explanation are you looking for? Presumably those animators making limited framerate CG animation and the directors instructing them to do so, such as the work of people at Sanzigen or Khara, do think it looks good.

Have they not received feedback that audiences don't find it looks good? Has nobody said that when compared with western animation, Japanese leaves a lot to be desired for the most part? Are Japanese audiences looking at shows like Berserk and thinking to themselves the models and CG looks amazing when compared to the possibility of doing it smoother?

Even that Escape from Paradise film still didn't look particularly impressive. Is there a CG major motion picture from Japan that rivals the West?

I just have so many questions I can't really find easily. And I can't wrap my head around the possibility of audiences thinking it looks great when Western audiences are so turned off by it.

duckroll

Have they not received feedback that audiences don't find it looks good? Has nobody said that when compared with western animation, Japanese leaves a lot to be desired for the most part? Are Japanese audiences looking at shows like Berserk and thinking to themselves the models and CG looks amazing when compared to the possibility of doing it smoother?

Even that Escape from Paradise film still didn't look particularly impressive. Is there a CG major motion picture from Japan that rivals the West?

"Audiences" on a whole find it good. They enjoy it. Sales tend to be good. No, I don't think producers and animators care about what a few people on internet forums have to say when the majority of their paying fans seem to like it.

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 11
Wow, this was really good. This show certainly have you take a hard look at the way Japanese work place operates. It also really appeals to my sensibilities as I do believe that modern society places too much importance on work over happiness.

"Audiences" on a whole find it good. They enjoy it. Sales tend to be good. No, I don't think producers and animators care about what a few people on internet forums have to say when the majority of their paying fans seem to like it.

Heck maybe I'll get shit for saying this, but I plan to buy Ajin on DVD once it actually releases. I have no issue with the way it looks and even think it looks quite good sometimes. I don't want to say the detractors online don't matter, but I think Duckroll's right that if the sales are there then negative opinions kind of don't matter to them.
I'd like to believe they do take some of the criticism constructively and work with each show to better their output.

I'd be interested in seeing what Japan's internet tends to say about them though. Ajin's either barely talked about in western anime communities, or outright hated. I'd be curious to know where Japan's vocal fanbase draws lines as to which CGI anime are good, if any, or bad.

How's Berserk selling. I mean if CG berserk is the only Berserk I can get I'll take it. But now I have to assume that if Japanese audiences are playing a 30 fps game and it dips to 20 they think "JUST LIKE MY ANIME"

edit: Hmmm been curious about Ajin. Is it still in a streaming service?

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.18
T1tsgpB.jpg
Wait,
Is the childhood friend going to win?
This is all nuts. Sooooo much is going on while in
Tokyo
again. At least we finally got confirmation that
Haruka knew Ayato from Tokyo
but how, when? She made it sound like
they were childhood friends, but did her spending that much tine in the other world age her 12 years ahead?

duckroll

How's Berserk selling. I mean if CG berserk is the only Berserk I can get I'll take it. But now I have to assume that if Japanese audiences are playing a 30 fps game and it dips to 20 they think "JUST LIKE MY ANIME"

Berserk doesn't sell. Never did. The manga's popular but I don't think any Berserk anime has ever been a commercial success, so I doubt it has anything to do with CG.

Also, judging from Japanese game sales, I'll say... yeah they really don't care about framerate and shit. Or resolution. Or aliasing.

Ajin's still on Netflix and I think looks far better than Berserk 2016
Which I loathe

I did try looking up the Berserk Bluray Box sales for you btw. Couldn't find any data. I don't know if that means it sold so badly it didn't chart or what.

ReLife: 11
Wow, this was really good. This show certainly have you take a hard look at the way Japanese work place operates. It also really appeals to my sensibilities as I do believe that modern society places too much importance on work over happiness.

This was probably my favorite episode of the show. The treatment of Kaizaki's past helps to elevate the series above the escapist high school romcom it may appear to be at first glance.

ACCA Episode 2
download.png

Goddamn, that's a Max Payne 2 door to human ratio right there.

Anyway, episode was mostly set-up. Not bad set-up entirely, but I do feel the show needs to give us something soon.

TrueBlue

I've decided I'm going to give Nisemonogatari a shot, since I like Bake a fair bit. However, I didn't see the last three episodes of Bake - the ONAs? - and the show seems to have disappeared from Viewster.

Any suggestions? I'm in the UK.

I've decided I'm going to give Nisemonogatari a shot, since I like Bake a fair bit. However, I didn't see the last three episodes of Bake - the ONAs? - and the show seems to have disappeared from Viewster.

I'm pretty sure the last three episodes of Bakemonogatari haven't been cleared for streaming anywhere.

Clov

Scum's Wish seems to be getting a good reception around here. So far, is it actually worth watching? I may pick it up.

Scum's Wish seems to be getting a good reception around here. So far, is it actually worth watching? I may pick it up.

I'm itching to watch it, but if it's anything like Bojack with how real it gets (At least the way people keep saying it gets too real), I'll be waiting until it's further along.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Scum's Wish in a nut shell:
LcFqX.gif

On a level you can't even comprehend.

It's pretty great in a sense that it legitimately makes you stop and think. It's the kind of show that makes you feel awful for watching it. It's stupid people being stupid because of their emotions, it feels believable. I think the others on this thread have as much difficulty as me saying why they like it, but yeah, it's dope. It's a show I very much look forward to watching every week.

Sterok

Masamune-kun's Revenge 3

Successful date, for the most part. Adagaki may have a bad reputation, but no one who cosplays as Cure White can be a bad person in my book.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I just have so many questions I can't really find easily. And I can't wrap my head around the possibility of audiences thinking it looks great when Western audiences are so turned off by it.
Spirits Within was state of the art but since then, no.

Aki-at

I kind of want to watch Scum's Wish because of Cornbread's reaction a couple of pages back... But still not sure if I want to go down this rabbit hole.

Mailbox

Honestly next episode will probably cement people's stances on this show one way or another so if you are on the edge, i'd say wait 1 week and see how people's reactions are then. ;)

Scum's Wish in a nut shell:
LcFqX.gif

On a level you can't even comprehend.

Its not NTR, though. NTR implies cheating, and SO stealing, and cuckolding, broken hearts and a bunch of other things. Stuff that Scum's wish just doesn't have. I mean the main couple in the show isn't really in a "relationship" in the strictest sense.This show is much more about people feeling hurt, wanting to find solace, and being stupid about it. (with the exception of one character that I won't get into because spoilers)

so no, its not really NTR
at least not yet.. and even then... its a stretch due to how it all plays out i guess.

It's pretty great in a sense that it legitimately makes you stop and think. It's the kind of show that makes you feel awful for watching it. It's stupid people being stupid because of their emotions, it feels believable. I think the others on this thread have as much difficulty as me saying why they like it, but yeah, it's dope.

I'd say that it feels kinda refreshing in a way. After watching and reading so many manga and anime about how a couple is so sweet on each other but some small complication happens and jealousy happens in dumb ways and "oh will they kiss, maybe at the end, maybe" "will they say i love you or some shit, who knows", its just nice to see a show about people in unrequited love looking to each other for comfort and nothing more. Even the surrounding characters that cause this to become a love-dodecahedron are done in a way that is very different that is works.

Its just a weirdly refreshing take on relationships and romance in anime that I can't help but admire it and enjoy it. Its not Ecchi, its not a dumb "will they won't they" (for the most part), its not afraid to show its characters as unlikable, and its not afraid to make the characters know more than they should without falling into melodrama (imo).

Its just a great reprieve from all those other romance and relationship anime that are around. I wouldn't say I would want all anime to follow in this show's steps, but the way it just grounds itself and makes it feel both oddly relatable and yet uncomfortable (without being bad) makes this show as good as it is. It walks a very hard to balance line very well.

Kuzu no Honkai 02

I'm out. This show is just too stupid even for me tastes.

My wife tried the manga and jumped ship for what sounds like the same reasons you did. We watched the first episode today. I can see why people on here like it, but it's not really working for me either.

ibyea

Banned
This was probably my favorite episode of the show. The treatment of Kaizaki's past helps to elevate the series above the escapist high school romcom it may appear to be at first glance.

Hah, yeah, at beginning I judged the book by its cover. I thought that is what it was going to be.

RahXephon ep.18

Wait,
Is the childhood friend going to win?
This is all nuts. Sooooo much is going on while in
Tokyo
again. At least we finally got confirmation that
Haruka knew Ayato from Tokyo
but how, when? She made it sound like
they were childhood friends, but did her spending that much tine in the other world age her 12 years ahead?
Lordy, this brings back such memories. Can't wait for you to finish next few episodes.

Haly

Time to scum:

Scum's Wish 2:
I can almost, almost understand what they're saying but damn these guys are better at french than i ever was at that age.

EDIT: WAIT THESE ARE FRENCH SUBS WOOPS

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 13, end
It was okay. To be honest, I am not too keen on the romance, although mainly I just happen to not like most romances. There were a bunch of wonderful moments for the final episode, but it was sort of anticlimatic, isn't it? To be fair I know for a fact that they still have to adapt more of the manga.

Randomly started watching some Japanese drama called Mischievous Kiss on Netflix. I think its based on some manga? It sure feels like it.

lol The special effects sure are something. I love the mom cause she has no chill.

Scum's Wish isn't Netorare, nobody is being cheated on.

Its just two people who choose to be in a loveless relationship because its a better out for pent up emotions and lust then nothing.

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.21
That was a pretty cool turn of events for Pacifica and crew. I loved watching that
Peacemakers robot body get shredded by the fake ones
nothing like a little mecha action in a fantasy anime. Also, the scene with Shannon and Pacifica at tge end was really well done.

Quasar

Depends on whether you have access to a vpn.

Hmmm. Really liking Ajin. Still has the fps issues I dislike, but I'm entertained. Will probably go more in depth in a season 1 review post before I move on to season 2.

Mailbox

That is to say, Scum's Wish is isomorphic to NTR.

I still wouldn't classify it as NTR
At least not yet, and even then the way things are handled and to which character they are handled on makes it less NTR and more "open relationship" but whatever.
. Its just more like a love Dodecahedron where everyone is surprisingly more active and fitting to their own agendas than normal.

as for your chart (I won't go too much into it):
lesser spoilers:
As of episode 2, you are off slightly. The top 2 aren't doing shit yet (You'll find out about this more in episode 3/4) and the 2 bottom characters don't have anything to do with each other at all. Also, its probably a good idea to think of the "Childhood lesbians" as more like "crush" than anything right now
heavy spoilers:
later on, though, you aren't wrong (minus that bottom ??? since they don't even meet iirc) Mugi knows a lot more than he leads on, and the relationships and whatnot around him get more complicated as it goes on. And there are some reveals that will make that chart kinda complicated.

I should probably warn you then, Nise is probably the worst season of Monogatari. Even if you don't like Nise, please still continue to "Monogatari Second Season"; Its much better

Haly

heavy spoilers:
later on, though, you aren't wrong (minus that bottom ??? since they don't even meet iirc) Mugi knows a lot more than he leads on, and the relationships and whatnot around him get more complicated as it goes on. And there are some reveals that will make that chart kinda complicated.

Mailbox

Btw,
what do you think of the teachers or what's gonna happen with them
? Just curious.

Not even gonna look. Going all in on this show without reading spoilers. The anticipation is what makes things better for me with shows.

Honestly thats probably a good idea. I didn't say anything overt btw, but its a good idea to be blind when watching.
Man, i'm excited for episode 3.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Great Passage 01-11
Amusingly enough the subject matter of creating a dictionary was the big hook here for me, and from a production standpoint everything is really treated with the upmost care. Body language and posture breaths a lot of life into the interactions between character interactions. While the unspoken dialogue puts strong wind in the sails of The Great Passage, words themselves seem to fail the series. Instead of delving into the minutia of dictionaries the series maintains a broader scope, letting its characters sit after a strong start to focus on time itself passing. A fine idea in itself but its themes, messages, and even visual imagery all feel overly simplistic for a show that will only ever appeal to a more mature audience. These are not poorly executed on from a production standpoint, but the imagery of crossing this vast ocean of words never left me with anything to think about. In my mind I found myself regularly thinking of Haroun and the Sea of Stories, where similar imagery is much more complex to dissect in spite of the book being written for children. There Rushdie's ocean of words blends together into a continuous important mass of intertextuality, where new stories are informed by older ones in such a manner that everything is connected. And the Sea of Stories moves well beyond that with its topics and themes. By contrast The Great Passage's imagery lacks a layered take, finding similar notes but never really cohering them into something beyond the unity that comes from information being passed down between generations. Its approach to even that topic feels remarkably limited. The ferris wheel, the expanse of a deep ocean, the ark like boat: really don't warrant more than a passing glance and never feel like they are appropriately expanded upon.

I would be less bothered by the show's thematic shortcomings if it pushed strong character arcs, but it picks up and drops in characters at will and none of the relationships here mature on screen in such a way that I could invest in them. The post timeskip introduction of Midori is one of the more egregious examples, and she never really develops into being a character that factors into the story in a way that feels emotionally or narratively powerful. Following the story of The Great Passage as a dictionary fails to satisfy in this hands off format as well. Its production is pushed far off screen, and in spite of all the rhetoric about how each dictionary is unique there was never any insight provided on what differentiated the title dictionary in question. What lesser used words did each individual character push to be included? Instead of getting informative production conflict the show weakly climaxed with its missing word scare. This is technically thematically effective in the far reaching unity found with part time workers, but it feels so impersonal and contrived. After the time skip the stage should be set for these characters to really shine but the story's uninteresting and somewhat unfocused message ballooned to push everything else to the wayside.
Ultimately the friction of this story is nebulous and external, whether that is overbearing publishers or missing words. This holistic cooperation is so saccharine that the end point of greater unity just doesn't carry much impact. The strong points of unspoken communication really shine through with the hidden relationship between Nishioka and his girlfriend in the PR department, where they dance around the fact that they are even together. Those quiet scenes of understanding feel fleeting and forgotten when stacked against the weight of production on what comes across as a characterless dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom